·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HQ:

Farseer - 83pts
Singing Spear
Doom

He will ride around in the Wave Serpent and walk around with the Dire Avengers, throwing spears at tanks and whoever decides to jump in the way.

---------------------------------

Elite:

Harlequin x6 - 180 pts
Shadowseer
Harlequin's Kiss x6

Hoping my Harlequins will ride around in the Falcon until they can leap into action. Most of the games played here are done in Cityfight, so the Shadowseer will help make short work of my opponents as I Hit and Run between cover.

Fire Dragons x6 - 96pts

Basic Anti-Tank, not entirely sure how well they will do. I would assume most people know what they are and will wipe them out when they see them heading for their tanks and transport units.

--------------------------------

Troops:

Dire Avenger x9 + Exarch - 152 pts
Bladestorm
Dual Shuriken Catapult

Basic troop choice, rides around in the Wave Serpent until in range, then pops out to Bladestorm, jumps back in the Wave Serpent on next turn. Also not entirely useless in close combat.

Pathfinderx6 - 144 pts

I am a little wary of the point cost on these guys as opposed to taking a slew of Guardians. However, as most of our fights down here are Cityfight, getting broad lines of sight is relatively easy and the one-in-three chance of annihilating whatever they point at (Carnifex, Terminators, etc) just looks nice.

Fast Attack:

Vyper - 60 pts
Shuriken Cannon
Twin-Linked Shuriken Catapult

Objective thief, general nuisance.

Heavy Support:

Falcon - 195 pts
Dual Shuriken Cannon
Spirit Stones
Holo-Field
Vectored Engines

Harlequin transport and anti-infantry.

Troop Transport:

Wave Serpent - 110pts
Spirit Stones
Twin-Linked Shuriken Cannon

Dire Avenger and Farseer transport, more anti-infantry.

One thing that worries me is my overall lack of anti-tank power. I know six melta-weapons are overkill against a single target, but once those Fire Dragons are gone, that seems to be the end of my tank killing ability.

Changing some of my tank weapons to a Bright Lance or Missle Launcher would require me to shave off points elsewhere, but might be worth doing.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Great list. Lean, balanced, fast, very Eldar. A few things though

Harlequin x6 - 180 pts
Shadowseer
Harlequin's Kiss x6
This is only a 162 point squad. So we have another 20 points there.

Fire Dragons x6 - 96pts
How are you expecting to protect these guys on the way up? They're too fragile to footslog it.

Dire Avenger x9 + Exarch - 152 pts
Bladestorm
Dual Shuriken Catapult

Basic troop choice, rides around in the Wave Serpent until in range, then pops out to Bladestorm, jumps back in the Wave Serpent on next turn. Also not entirely useless in close combat.

Pathfinderx6 - 144 pts

I am a little wary of the point cost on these guys as opposed to taking a slew of Guardians. However, as most of our fights down here are Cityfight, getting broad lines of sight is relatively easy and the one-in-three chance of annihilating whatever they point at (Carnifex, Terminators, etc) just looks nice.
Looks good. If you need to cut points I would drop the Pathfinder squad down to 5. Five seems to be a real good and playable number for that unit.

Farseer - 83pts
Singing Spear
Doom
Not so hot on this unit. Farseers have to cast their powers at the beginning of the ELdar turn. So if your farseer is in the transport he misses out on a turn of powers. Try mounting him on a jetbike. The room cleared up by the mis-point on the Harley's and dropping one Pathfinder will buy him a jetbike adn leave you at 998 total points (right now you're at 1002).

Farseer 103pts
Doom
Singing Spear
Jebike

So just the Harley points and dropping a Pathfinder. The list looks good, and I think that little tweak on your Farseer will change games.

Good Luck

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I see what I did with the Harleys. Actually had 6 'quins AND a Shadowseer, for seven total. You're right, comes in at 162 points, 18 precious points elsewhere. And the other point mistake I made as that I actually dropped the a cannon from the Falcon, replacing with the the free twin-linked catapults to save ten points. I made account of that in the final score, but not in the initial post details.

How are you expecting to protect these guys on the way up? They're too fragile to footslog it.
That's what I was worried about. They aren't as slow as other foot armies thanks to Fleet, but they aren't exactly quick about maneuvering and a 12" range isn't anything to write home about. I have thought about dropping the wave serpent and a few Dire Avengers to make room for another Falcon in which the Fire Dragons can zoom around in and cause more mayhem.

Going that route, my Farseer doesn't need his Jetbike to keep up and hang around the walking Avengers. So if I drop two Avengers, a Pathfinder, and the Wave Serpent... I'm down to 824 points. A decently equipped Falcon can be bought for my Fire Dragons to scoot around in.

Farseer - Doom, Singing Spear - 83
Harlequin x6 - Shadowseer, Kiss x6 - 162
Fire Dragon x6 - 96
Dire Avenger x8 - Exarch, Blade Storm, Dual Catapults - 128
Pathfinder x5 - 120
Vyper - Shuriken Cannon, TL Catapults - 50
Falcon 1 - Shuriken Cannon, TL Catapults, Holo-Field, Spirit Stones, Vectored Engines - 185
Falcon 2 - Shuriken Cannon, TL Catapults, Holo-Field, Vectored Engines - 175

Total: 999

Keeping the Wave Serpent, I'd go with what you advised, putting the Farseer on a Jet Bike. I had forgotten that he needs to use his abilities at the beginning of his turn, not after jumping out of the Serpent. To pay for the upgrade I dropped a Pathfinder as you suggested and spent the remaining ten points on the dual Shuriken Cannons for the Falcon.

Farseer - Doom, Singing Spear, Jetbike - 113
Harlequin x6 - Shadowseer, Kiss x6 - 162
Fire Dragon x6 - 96
Dire Avenger x10 - Exarch, Blade Storm, Dual Catapults - 152
Pathfinder x5 - 120
Falcon - Shuriken Cannon, Shuriken Cannon, Holo-Field, Spirit Stones, Vectored Engines - 185
Wave Serpent - TL Shuriken Cannons, TL Catapults, Spirit Stones - 110

With that change I'm at 998 points but am still left with my Fire Dragons out in the open, or a half-empty Wave Serpent and walking Avengers. The Dire Avengers at least have a more effective range to shoot at things compared to the Fire Warriors, so I don't feel quite as bad leaving them to walk, but it seems they, too, are now more limited in their abilities when you take away their transport.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Edited my list a wee bit to better accomodate different tactics.

Farseer - Doom, Singing Spear, Jetbike - 113
Harlequin x7 - Shadowseer, Death Jester, Harlequin Kiss x6 - 190
Fire Dragon x6 - 96
Dire Avenger x8 - Exarch, Blade Storm, Dual Catapults - 128
Pathfinder x5 - 120
Falcon - Shuriken Cannon, Shuriken Cannon, Holo-Field, Spirit Stones, Vectored Engines - 185
Wave Serpent - TL Shuriken Cannons, TL Catapults, Spirit Stones - 110

I added a Death Jester to my Harlequin Troupe because it will no longer ride in the Falcon, but run around the board terrorizing people. With the Shadowseer's Veil of Tears I figure they shouldn't have too much of an issue walking around. If something is in less than 12" range, it's probably going to get brutally assaulted and shot at by my Shrieker Cannons anyways.

The Fire Dragons will now ride in the Falcon, popping out and laying waste to tanks and terminators, that way they have much better protection.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This list is EXACTLY like the list I played when I first started this game, and I just could not get it to work.

if you do, please let me know.

The problems I had with it though:
Pathfinders don't put out enough shots to be effective
Dire Avengers not getting enough support from pathfinder or the harlies
The fareseer doesn't get to use his powers most of the game if in a wave serpent
not enough troops on the board

5+ save on the harlies make them die pretty quickly, and veil of tears is still a pretty high spotting distance

Tanks spend mosts of the time not being able to shoot

Fire Dragons are very much one hit wonders. They'll take out the tank they're targeting, but they'll get killed the next round most likely if they're stuck out in the open.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.