Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow farseers,

I'm a fairly new Eldar player and I've read the codex and written up a list. Hopefully we can work together, tweak a few things and pump out a somewhat decent list in the end. I've inherited a few models and I've bought myself a unit of Harlequins (mostly because they seemed like they would be fun to paint). Here's the list that I've written up:

Farseer on Jetbike 108pts
-Singing Spear
-Mind War

Guardian Jetbikes (3) 66pts

Dire Avengers (8) 228pts
-Exarch w/ Bladestorm and Exarch catapult
-Wave Serpent w/ TL Shurikin Cannons

Harlequins (6) 162pts
-Shadowseer
-6 Harlequin Kisses

Fire Dragons (5) 80pts

Falcon Grav Tank 175pts
-Holo-Field
-Spirit Stone
-Scatter Laser

Falcon Grav Tank 175pts
-Holo-Field
-Spirit Stone
-Scatter Laser

Total: 994pts

I figure that the Farseer will join the guardian jetbikes so that he has some guys willing to jump in front of bullets for him and he'll ride around spearing tanks and popping the heads of squad leaders and HQ. The Harlequins and Fire Dragons will each ride in a Falcon and periodically jump out and kill things. I may try to keep them together as the fire dragons don't seem like they'd do too well in close combat.

There are a few things that I wanted to include, but couldn't quite work into the list. A spirit stone on the wave serpent, a shurikin cannon for the jetbikes, and a couple more dire avengers all would have been nice. I'll appreciate any criticism or general comments. Thanks in advance!

·
4,967 Posts
List seems pritty solid.

Your 3 upgrades you wanted all make sense and I think the way you could achieve 2 of them would be to drop the shadowseer upgrade on the harlequins. Shadowseers are useful for footslogging harleys but with the transport you will be disembarking so close to the opponents (to get the charge) that he probably wont be used. After a combat he will also not be that useful as other enemy units will be nearby and can move 6" towards you and rappid fire anyway.

This would leave you 36 points for Spirit stones on the WS and 2 Dire Avengers.

Another upgrade would be to drop the scatter laser on the falcon to a shuriken cannon then upgrade each falcon with an underslung shuriken cannon. I think the points saving equals the upgrade cost. Scatter lasers are good on falcons because of the range but you are carrying passengers so your ranges will generally be within 24".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks. So now I've got:

-Singing Spear
-Mind War

Dire Avengers (10) 262pts
-Wave Serpent w/ TL Shurikin Cannons & Spirit Stone

Harlequins (6) 132pts
-6 Harlequin Kisses

Fire Dragons (5) 80pts

Falcon Grav Tank 175pts
-Holo-Field
-Spirit Stone
-Shuriken Cannon X2

Falcon Grav Tank 175pts
-Holo-Field
-Spirit Stone
-Shuriken Cannon X2

Total: 998pts

Any other thoughts? I'm a bit weary of how few models are in this army, but I'm assuming that the tanks will keep them safe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
What if I stuck the shadowseer back in, dropped the underslung shuriken cannons on the falcons, added only 1 dire avenger instead of 2 (bringing the unit size to 9 including the Exarch), and added the spirit stone to the wave serpent?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
-Singing Spear
-Mind War
Me, I would go passive on the power so you can use it AND make your SS attacks. Doom or fortune or guide. But that's just me.
fine but will be running off the board after the first casaulty.
Dire Avengers (10) 262pts
-Wave Serpent w/ TL Shurikin Cannons & Spirit Stone
While this unit will kill things, there isn't much need of a WS just for them. Points could be better spent. I get the whole fluff thing, but if you want that kind of mobile fire power, just get 3 singled vypers with double shuricannons and 3 more guardians on jetbikes. even frees up points and let's you take objectives from 24".
Harlequins (6) 132pts
-6 Harlequin Kisses
don't fit the fluff or feel of the army to me, but it's not my list. This sized squad will do fine without the shadowseer, as any unit hiding in cover is gonna be unable to stop you from getting the assault.
Fire Dragons (5) 80pts
really doesn't fit the notion of the list, but useful for what they can do to MCs and a single tank. Personally, I would drop them and use the points of them and a falcon to get swooping hawks (your mobile avenger squad) and a double set of vibro cannons. Yes, they don't fit the fluff as well, but will kill more tanks, from a greater range, and hit multiple units a turn without worrying about LOS.

Falcon Grav Tank 175pts
-Holo-Field
-Spirit Stone
-Shuriken Cannon X2

Falcon Grav Tank 175pts
-Holo-Field
-Spirit Stone
-Shuriken Cannon X2
While I see these 2 fitting in the list, their standard occupants don't. My suggestion would be swap the troops (as above) and perhaps trade out the last remaining one for a fire prism and maybe another vyper.

Anyways, just my ideas. Anyway you do it, enjoy and have fun!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Harlequins (6) 132pts
-6 Harlequin Kisses
don't fit the fluff or feel of the army to me, but it's not my list. This sized squad will do fine without the shadowseer, as any unit hiding in cover is gonna be unable to stop you from getting the assault.
Without a Shadowseer, the unit will get into close combat. The problem is that when assaulting through cover, the Harlequins will strike last, thus taking hits before getting to strike back. As we all know, Harlequins drop like flies when they actually get hit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I 100% agree with Deorum. The Harlequin really dont NEED a Shadow seer, but he DRAMATICALLY increases their effectiveness. Units cant target them if they are farther than 24" and thats a max roll of 6-6 x2. They get to attack based on initiative every time which is critical in any terrain situation.

I really dislike the "Fluff" styled armies as they completely ignore the combos you can get with multiple units working together. The DA in the WS absolutely destroy low armoured vehicles and standard infantry. I would stick with them 8Y. If you decide not to use them, I would spend the points on vypers and more JBs as is provides more scoring units.

I would ussually disagree with the swap of scatter lasers for shuriken cannons, but in a 1000pt army, you really need the points.

The Falcon/Fire Dragon combo has never failed me. If you can squeaze an exarch with Dragon's Breath Flamer and Crack shot (only for an extra 17 pts) you can do some major damage to tough squads hiding in cover. The Fire Dragons tank busting capability is also unmatched (but remember they are also good for destroying tough units).
The Harlies provide excellent assualt protection for your Fire Dragons.

The farseer would be better with fortune or doom, guide would be a little misplaced for such a weak squad... If in range, use doom on the harlie or firedragon targets (better on the harlies target because the FD exarch has re-roles anyway). Another thing that has worked well for me, is takign that Farseer off the jetbike and stick him with the DA in the WS, giving them guide or doom (works extremely well).

Turn 1-Move the Falcons 12" to a good turn 2 striking position, shoot some ranged squads as well. Move the DA to a good covering possition while moving the JB and the farseer out (If the JB get into a vulnerable assualt position, the DA can pop out and destroy them ;Y.

Turn 2-Move the Fire Dragons in the Falcon all the way to the other side of the board with Star Engines, keep them in there for the turn (you could do this turn 1 depending on your opponent). The Harlies jump out of their falcon and move-fleet-assualt (preferably the nearest squad to the Fire Dragons.

Of course you have probably thought about all this so I wont go into further detail. The list you created looks pretty good, with a few minor tweaks, it will have great potential.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You'll have to excuse my ignorance for a bit, but what exactly are you guys talking about when you say you dislike fluff-based armies? Or, perhaps more to the point, what is a fluff-based army and how does the list I've written up qualify as one of those?

Me, I would go passive on the power so you can use it AND make your SS attacks. Doom or fortune or guide. But that's just me.
The farseer would be better with fortune or doom, guide would be a little misplaced for such a weak squad... If in range, use doom on the harlie or firedragon targets (better on the harlies target because the FD exarch has re-roles anyway). Another thing that has worked well for me, is takign that Farseer off the jetbike and stick him with the DA in the WS, giving them guide or doom (works extremely well).
Jeez, I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out what "passive" power meant. I get it now; I totally missed the part that said mind war was used in the shooting phase instead of shooting. I can see why taking a passive power would be advantageous, but at the same time I don't see the Farseer needing to throw his spear every turn and mind war seems like a useful power (I'm a Blood Angels player and I can see somebody killing all my power fist veteran sergeants as really nasty). I'd appreciate others' thoughts on this, too.

fine but will be running off the board after the first casaulty.
So you don't think the leadership of the farseer will be able to keep them on the board?

While this unit will kill things, there isn't much need of a WS just for them. Points could be better spent. I get the whole fluff thing, but if you want that kind of mobile fire power, just get 3 singled vypers with double shuricannons and 3 more guardians on jetbikes. even frees up points and let's you take objectives from 24".
What I see if I drop the WS and keep the avengers is a unit that will lag behind the rest of my army, probably not be where I need it to be when I need it to be, and will probably get shot up before being able to do a lot of damage. There's also fact that if I drop the WS, my opponent will probably have sufficient anti-tank to at least shake my falcons every turn. If I do what you say and take the extra jetbikes and the vypers, then my model count will go down even more. I'm also not enthused with the 10/10/10 armour of the vypers. I can see at the very least one, and more probably two of them being shot down before they even get in range to fire their shuriken cannons. Also, I'm assuming that you're suggesting that I add 3 jetbikes to the squad I already have (otherwise I would have the tiny squad that would run off the board that you talked about earlier). If this is the case, then I'm left with a troop slot that needs filling.

I admit that a lot of what I'm saying is probably just hot air as I haven't played Eldar and I apologize if I seem arrogant at all. If I were to substitute Mind War for Doom (this seems like it would be the most useful alternative), then my list hits 1001pts. Any ideas on what I could do to free up a point without any massive, dramatic changes?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
no need to apologize for asking questions, especially so if you don't uderstand my comments.

Fluff refers to all the stories and descriptions. A fluffy elf is one who uses a bow, is fast and dexterious. If I built an army around an elf unit that is slow, hulking, and hits like a ton of bricks and stay the course, it would be inconsistant fluffwise. Some people prefer to make lists that are fluff based. All fast mounted eldar, all aspect eldar, all guardian eldar, and such. It's up to you.

As to the farseer-if he is joined to the bikes, they will probably have no problem staying on the board, but then you are forcing him to stay with them. The unit (two if you take the drop in the DA slot) will a few things going for them. If you play lots of terrain (25%+), then you shouldn't have much difficulty in moving, shooting, moving back out of LOS.

As to the dire avengers, they move 6" plus can fleet, then assault, or step up and fire away. Effective range is 24" on them, or 30" with waveserpent. With a 24" threat range, I honestly have had no problem getting them where I need them. You may have an issue based on your playstyle, terrain, or opponent, something I can't alter.

More later, sorry, have to run

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you decide to use a farseer with a unit of Dire Avengers in a Wave Serpent, keep in mind that Doom, Guide, and Fortune are all cast at the beginning of your turn, so he needs to disembark the turn before you plan to use those powers as desolatemm suggested. I prefer a Jetbike, not only because you do not have to worry about not being able to cast spells while mounted in a Serpent, but also because with such mobility, he should virtually never be able to be targeted.

You are correct about the Spear and Mind War. The spear is extremely cheap, and is mostly there as a second chance tank popping weapon. I often use Mind War and a Spear on my jetbike Farseer, and it works fairly well. I usually only throw the spear 0-1 time per game. Farseers are not going to tear through any infantry unit no matter what you give them. Their purpose is more of a supportive unit. As you mentioned, Mind Warring the power fist out of a unit can be very useful (my primary army is Blood Angels, too), and sometimes that will be the only type of unit for which it is useful. However, there are some units against which Mind War is catastrophic. Such units include Demon Princes/Tyranid Monsterous Creatures (sometimes you get lucky and destroy them outright), Crisis Suits guarded by Shield Drones (such as a unit of 1 Broadside + 2 Shield Drones), Wraithlords, C'Tan, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.