Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a tournament this week at my local Games Workshop, first a ladder tournament between monday and wedsuday and then the top 4 move on to a knock out round on thursday and friday, all of the games are 1000pts and played on 4X4 boards. Here is the list I’m considering using.

HQ
--Command Platoon--
87 - Heroic Senior Officer: with bolt pistol and close combat weapon and iron discipline, 1 Standard Bearer.

ELITE
75 - Veteran Squad: V.Sgt, 1 Lasgun, 3 Meltaguns

75 - Veteran Squad: V.Sgt, 1 Lasgun, 3 Meltaguns.

TROOPS
--Infantry Platoon--
60 – Junior Officer with Iron Disciple, 2 Lasguns and 1 Missile Launcher.

85 – Infantry Squad with Plasma gun and Missile Launcher.

120 - Grenadier Squad with 1 Sgt 8 Hellguns, 2 Plasma Gun.

FAST ATTACK
55 – 5 Rough Riders with Hunting Lances.

55 – 5 Rough Riders with Hunting Lances.

HEAVY SUPPORT
183 – Leman Russ with Extra Armour Smoke Launchers, 3 Heavy Bolters and Improved Comms.

Total: 1000
Number 70 (1)

Doctrines
Veterans: For Suicidal Deployment.
Grenadiers: A good solid unit to take the hits on the front line.
Drop Troops: For the Veterans.
Iron Discipline: To stop everyone from running away.
Rough Riders: For Suicide Attacks against heavy armour.

·
Watcher In The Sky
1,083 Posts
Rough Riders: For Suicide Attacks against heavy armour.
I assume that you mean "heavily armoured troops" there :p Charging tanks with them may not be particularly useful. Although it would certainly be suicidal.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i just wonder if youre better off dialing down some of your manpower in exchange for another tank, maybe a demolisher to accompany your roughriders or stormtroopers, you could take away a squad of stormtroopers and maybe salvage points from a missile launcher or one of your vet squads to pay for it.. i just think that having a single leman russ out there is not going to do you any favours, most lists come in expecting some armour resistance from an imperial guard army, if you only have one tank, the enemy usually decides to focus all its fire on the single tank often leaving it a complete waste of points. if you had a more threatening tank like a demolisher you could use its extra armour to try and get close in with the enemy and do some damage whilst opponents are distracted from the almost equally destructive long-ranged russ..

if you however intend to keep the list heavy focused on infantry then you can of course do that, i just find russ tanks work well in teams of 2-3

·
durus
2,578 Posts
Firstly, nice list! Tight, not too many upgrades, good doctrines and lots of guns!8Y

Your Russ might come under lots of AT fire all by itself. You might leave it behind cover for a turn or two until your Heavy Weapons and Melta Guns have had a chance to kill the enemy AT fire, but that isn't how I like to play. Another Russ would be a good thing.

Some Tourneys play a game or two that doesn't allow deepstriking, which be a bummer for your Melta squads. Perhaps an Idea is turn the 2 Veteran squads into one with a Lascannon and a couple a Plasma guns in a full squad of 10. You could then drop the Improved Comms off of the Russ to save some more points. Drop the Rough Riders and then you would have the points for the second Russ.

Let us know how the tourney goes....

Cheers, Good Luck, DH

·
2,399 Posts
Nearly Perfect I'd say.. But for my 2 pence

87 - Heroic Senior Officer: with bolt pistol and close combat weapon and iron discipline, 1 Standard Bearer.
- Officers come with Las & CCW as a choice anyway - don't buy one, have loose change
75 - Veteran Squad: V.Sgt, 1 Lasgun, 3 Meltaguns
- Give Sgnt a Bltgn? - lose loose change.

60 – Junior Officer with Iron Disciple, 2 Lasguns and 1 Missile Launcher.
- to be v.pedantic, ML Loader still has Lasgun, what does officer have? May i recommend a lasgun to increase shooting? He has no melee stat benefit over a standard guardsman so i'd not bother with the C/combat options
Ditto w/ sgnt
- Being pedantic again - the only option where the sgnt can't take the "rifle" weaponry - you'll only have 7 Hellgunners.
183 – Leman Russ with Extra Armour Smoke Launchers, 3 Heavy Bolters and Improved Comms.
- You're investing xx points to re roll 2x drops? If you nab 2x meltas from your other vets, - leaving them with 2 each - and drop the improved comms you can have a 3rd squad (almost - what ?25? off?) - much more efficient.

On a 4x4 Board I wholeheartedly agree with diggums RE Leman Russ - One is either one too many or too few.

I personally feel you've sunk too many points into the grenadiers - their Armour and BS are really all that seperates them from a standard guardsman in your list (you'll use the officers BS, and that extra SW could be a Hvy Bltr in a line squad)
Or buy 3x 6 man Grenadiers squads with 2x plasmas each for the same points Cost.
1) Your opponent needs to kill 12 to make them all less than half strength & not score, - the same as 2x 10 man squads,
2) But more different targets RE targeting - how many units does he have?
3) You get more Plasmas
3) Smaller squads = use the terrain better
4) More scoring units.
If you wanted to absorb punishment get more line troops - But i'd steer away from conscripts due to lack of doctrines and board size (too cluttered). don't get me wrong - i'm a fan of grenadiers, especially in smaller games, but just not 10x man squads.

If you do shave/Rearrange stuff may i also suggest a remnants squad with a flamer? goes with the drop Troops (Note see FAQ for doctrines R.E. Including / not including different "parts" of a platoon). Kills eldar Rangers, Threatans Tau (Charge!), Can try to hide & score, or just cause a distraction & generally a giggle for the points. Go on, you know you want it.

Oh, or fire support squad W/Heavy Bolters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.