Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
(Un)Official LO Map Maker
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Just starting off, I really need the help as I've been pondering Sisters for ages and since I haven't even looked at 40k since 2004...you get the idea. I've skimmed through the new rules, in my opinion 40k is bullshit half the time compared to fantasy but now isn't the time really *grumbles at stupid rules*.

Anyhow, onto the sisterhood!

Canoness - 96
-Eviscerator
-Rosarius
-Bolt Pistol

5 Celestians(retinue) - 102
-Superior w bolter and power weapon
-Heavy Bolter
-Heavy Flamer

Immolator(transport) - 65

10 Sisters - 145
-Flamer
-Storm Bolter

10 Sisters - 145
-Flamer
-Storm Bolter

10 Sisters - 145
-Flamer
-Storm Bolter

8 Retributors - 172
-Superior w bolter
-3 Heavy Bolters
-1 Multi-melta

Exorcist - 135

All up that's 1005, currently I've purchased *smacks head for buying stuff before I'd planned it all* the Exorcist, 5 Retributors (the superior and the heavy weapons), the Canoness and 10 sisters. So those units can't go, it isn't a big deal as I actually require most of it. I want this to be viable for tournaments so getting rid of those damned 5 would be really good too.

The plan of battle is to use the BS4 at hand and let loose with fiery bolter death, let them come to me and when they begin closing in, 3rd turn say, I start marching forward, using rapid fire and flamer to further lessen numbers. Charge with Celestian and Canoness at their elite and let the 30 sisters with 3+ saves and the occasional power weapon clean up. Retributors and Exorcist can be used in combination to create bottlenecks and direct the enemy towards the bolters and further lessen numbers. The most likely change is to keep the Celestians out of the Immolator and use it to tankshock/set aflame the foe. But if any unit is going to be going, it's the Immolator but then I'm worried the Exorcist will be targetted with all anti-tank weapons.

Help greatly and sincerely appreciated, I give rep generously unlike some, but you still have to earn it.

·
Destroyer of Worlds
346 Posts
Hey everyone,
Just starting off, I really need the help as I've been pondering Sisters for ages and since I haven't even looked at 40k since 2004...you get the idea. I've skimmed through the new rules, in my opinion 40k is bullshit half the time compared to fantasy but now isn't the time really *grumbles at stupid rules*.

Anyhow, onto the sisterhood!

Canoness - 96
-Eviscerator
-Rosarius
-Bolt Pistol

Nothing particularly wrong with this setup.

5 Celestians(retinue) - 102
-Heavy Bolter
-Heavy Flamer

Now, I am good with the idea of giving the Canoness a body guard. It is a good thing to do, but I am not sure about the weapon selection selection. The heavy flamer I can almost understand, but the heavy bolter? For what? Are you planning on shooting it out of the top of the ride? That is going to be fail IMO.

How are you planning on dealing with the other players rides? Your exorcist can't reliably deal with AV14, and it can't shoot at more than one rhino a turn. Drop the heavy weapons on the celestians and get some melta guns. You will be happier that you did.

Immolator(transport) - 65

10 Sisters - 145
-Flamer
-Storm Bolter

10 Sisters - 145
-Flamer
-Storm Bolter

Just going to talk about the one squad as they are all the same.

First, why the power weapon? Regular ladies don't do very well in CC. Sure you might get one good round in, but after that you are doomed to get slowly whittled down, or straight up slaughtered. It is a waste of points IMO. Drop it. You didn't specifically say, but always make your superiors veteran. Give her a book of St. Lucias, it is arguably the single best squad upgrade in our codex, and perhaps the game.

Generally accepted weapon layout in a squad of girls is either:
Flamer/heavy Flamer
Melta/Melta
Melta/Heavy Flamer

The storm bolters aren't really good enough to fill one of those upgrade slots. I'd say take the heavy flamer from the celestians and give it to the girls, if you want to be really burny, or go melta/heavy Flamer for some more flexibility.

I play a very aggressive sisters, so I am going to trumpet you putting your girls into rides. But that is really up to you.

10 Sisters - 145
-Flamer
-Storm Bolter

8 Retributors - 172
-Superior w bolter
-3 Heavy Bolters
-1 Multi-melta

I actually don't really mind this layout. I am up in the air on the Multimelta. If you give your other girls melta weapons, then I would drop the MM. I'd take the 4th heavy botler from the celestians. It is really up to you on whether you want to run 8 of these girls. You will be able to use more acts of faith (if you have a veteran superior), but I never really found it worth it. You'll have to make that judgement. I normally run 5.. superior and 4 heavy bolters.

Exorcist - 135
That's fine.

All up that's 1005, currently I've purchased *smacks head for buying stuff before I'd planned it all* the Exorcist, 5 Retributors (the superior and the heavy weapons), the Canoness and 10 sisters. So those units can't go, it isn't a big deal as I actually require most of it. I want this to be viable for tournaments so getting rid of those damned 5 would be really good too.

Currently, this list is not tournament viable. Sorry. With the prevalence of mech in 5th edition, and the fact that the new bugs are going to eat you alive on foot. You are missing two things. Rides, and anti-tank. I tried to help you with the anti-tank, but the rides might put you over the top in points. I'll try to put together a list, as I have no idea what the points total is looking like.

The plan of battle is to use the BS4 at hand and let loose with fiery bolter death, let them come to me and when they begin closing in, 3rd turn say, I start marching forward, using rapid fire and flamer to further lessen numbers. Charge with Celestian and Canoness at their elite and let the 30 sisters with 3+ saves and the occasional power weapon clean up. Retributors and Exorcist can be used in combination to create bottlenecks and direct the enemy towards the bolters and further lessen numbers. The most likely change is to keep the Celestians out of the Immolator and use it to tankshock/set aflame the foe. But if any unit is going to be going, it's the Immolator but then I'm worried the Exorcist will be targetted with all anti-tank weapons.

What if you face a Tau Army, or guard army that puts out WAY more shots than you do, and doesn't run forward? What about the bugs where they are going to assault you on turn 2? I'd recommend reading the tactica at the top of our main forum. Girls are a SHORT RANGE ARMY. Their 'stance of power' is about 12'' away. That means that we really don't do well enough to just sit back and shoot, we have to get close enough to shoot you, and then try to not get assaulted. That is where your ride will come into play. Sitting back and letting the other army pound you into the dirt is not the way to go.

A lot of the other tactics you mentioned are viable. But I really think you are limiting yourself. A mech'd army which is highly mobile is going to mop the floor with you. Just prepare yourself.

Help greatly and sincerely appreciated, I give rep generously unlike some, but you still have to earn it.

reply in quote

Hope that some of my advice helps. I'll try to come up with a very similar list and we'll look at the points cost.

·
Destroyer of Worlds
346 Posts
OK, I tried to keep the very shooty element that you seem to like. Try this on for size.

1 Canoness (HQ) @ 230 Pts
Bolt Pistol (x1); Eviscerator

4 Celestian Bodyguard
Bolter (x2); Meltagun (x2)

1 Sister Superior
Bolter

1 Immolator
Twin Heavy Flamers
Smoke Launchers
Extra Armour
Searchlight

9 Battle Sisters Squad (Troops) @ 201 Pts
Bolter (x7); Heavy Flamer (x1); Meltagun (x1)

1 Veteran Sister Superior
Bolter
Book of Saint Lucius

1 Rhino APC
Storm Bolter

9 Battle Sisters Squad (Troops) @ 201 Pts

Bolter
Book of Saint Lucius

1 Rhino APC
Storm Bolter

4 Retributor Squad (Heavy Support) @ 115 Pts
Heavy Bolter (x4)

1 Sister Superior
Bolter

4 Retributor Squad (Heavy Support) @ 115 Pts
Heavy Bolter (x4)

1 Sister Superior
Bolter

1 Exorcist (Heavy Support) @ 135 Pts
Exorcist Missile Launcher

Starting Faith: 5

Models in Army: 40

Total Army Cost: 997

Basically, this is how it would work. The immolator leads the charge up the field. End of turn one pops smoke and provides cover to the two rhinos behind it. The rest of the army sits back and pounds whatever you feel like shooting. The Exorcist pops like armor and MC's and the heavy bolters works on any foot troops that might come out of the rides or are just on foot.

Once you get your other rides up there, you can deal with any AV12+ with the melta weapons, and burn the rest of the troops with the flamers.

This is a much more balanced list, as if the army you are playing is a CC army, they are coming to you and your rides provide some protection from the initial charge. Or you can get across the board fast enough that you don't get slaughtered in the middle.

·
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's the revised version. Taken what you've had to say about transports and here's the result.

Canoness
-Eviscerator
-Bolt Pistol
-Rosarius

5 Celestians (retinue)
-Vet with Power weapon and Bolter
-Heavy Flamer
-Meltagun

Immolator transport
-Smoke Launchers
-Extra Armour
-Options for Multi-melta and Heavy Bolter

2 x 10 Battle Sisters
-Vet with Bolter
-Heavy Flamer
-Meltagun

Both have Rhinos with Smoke Launchers

5 Retributors
Vet with Bolter
3 x Heavy Bolter
1 x Multi-melta

Exorcist

All up that's 996. Tank rush with the the sisters and the celestians, smoke launchers provide cover and extra armour for immolator as it's going at the head of the pack. If facing other tanks take multi-melta, horde armies take either heavy bolters or flamers(likely the flamers). Use retributors and exorcist to take out tanks and infantry respectively. Any improvement to the old one? Any more advice? etc

·
Destroyer of Worlds
346 Posts
Here's the revised version. Taken what you've had to say about transports and here's the result.

Canoness
-Eviscerator
-Bolt Pistol
-Rosarius

Fine. I prefer a blessed weapon, as I rely on the meltas to open rides. But different strokes for different folks.

5 Celestians (retinue)
-Vet with Power weapon and Bolter
-Heavy Flamer
-Meltagun

Drop the power weapon. I'll tell you why below.

Immolator transport
-Smoke Launchers
-Extra Armour
-Options for Multi-melta and Heavy Bolter

The nice thing about the immolator is that it can drive 12'' and still shoot the heavy flamers. If you take the MM or HBs then 1) it costs more 2) it can't drive and still shoot. Here is the basic thought behind it. What your amry is becoming is what we sisters call a double army. Meaning that you really are playing two armies. You are playing your rides (first army) and the girls that come out of the rides (second army). You don't need to worry too much about multimeltas on your ride, because if you drive 12'' each turn you will be close enough for your girls to get out and pop it with regular melta weapons. Then the immolator can hose what comes out of the ride. Which ends up being a lot more flexible in the long run.

2 x 10 Battle Sisters
-Vet with Bolter
-Heavy Flamer
-Meltagun

I'll have to be a little more forceful. Take the points you saved from getting rid of the power weapon and give theses squads a book. If you get assaulted, you will need it. For the point cost, it cannot be beat. You are being foolish to not include it.

Both have Rhinos with Smoke Launchers

5 Retributors
Vet with Bolter
3 x Heavy Bolter
1 x Multi-melta

Multi-melta has a 24'' range. Which means that the tanks you'll be shooting at have to drive at least half way across the board. If they have to come that far odds are your squads of ladies will crack it anyway. If you like it, stick with it. I happen to think that it is wasted points.

Exorcist
Fine.

All up that's 996. Tank rush with the the sisters and the celestians, smoke launchers provide cover and extra armour for immolator as it's going at the head of the pack. If facing other tanks take multi-melta, horde armies take either heavy bolters or flamers(likely the flamers). Use retributors and exorcist to take out tanks and infantry respectively. Any improvement to the old one? Any more advice? etc

This is basically the tactic that I suggested, and it would work pretty well I think. Of course those are famous last words and now it is doomed to fail. But I still think you'll be ok.
Where have you gone Mrs. Robinson?

·
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dropped the power weapon and gave the VSS's books, read the rules and I finally see why everyone gets them.

Keeping flamers on the immolator, what should I do with the points left over? Got 20 of them.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Tough call. You could add some sisters to the rets, or you could also add a second stormbolter to your rhinos. Yes they can have two xD

·
Destroyer of Worlds
346 Posts
You might need to check your math. Here is my list for you.

1 Canoness (HQ) @ 256 Pts
Bolt Pistol (x1); Eviscerator
Book of Saint Lucius
Cloak of Saint Aspira
I mixed it up and gave your lady a Cloak instead of the Rosarius. If you need her to have an invul save, use a piece of faith and then it'll be 2+ instead of 4+.

4 Celestian Bodyguard
Bolter (x2); Heavy Flamer (x1); Meltagun (x1)

1 Sister Superior
Bolter

1 Immolator
Twin Heavy Flamers
Extra Armour
Smoke Launchers

9 Battle Sisters Squad (Troops) @ 209 Pts

Bolter
Book of Saint Lucius

1 Rhino APC
Storm Bolter
Extra Armour
Smoke Launchers

9 Battle Sisters Squad (Troops) @ 209 Pts

Bolter
Book of Saint Lucius

1 Rhino APC
Storm Bolter
Extra Armour
Smoke Launchers

4 Retributor Squad (Heavy Support) @ 144 Pts
Heavy Bolter (x3); Multi-Melta (x1)

Bolter
Book of Saint Lucius

1 Exorcist (Heavy Support) @ 135 Pts
Exorcist Missile Launcher

Starting Faith: 6

Models in Army: 35

Total Army Cost: 953
My count is that you have 47 extra points. You can use those to do a lot of things. Add 2+ to the retributors (7 is the most commonly rolled number of 2D6, so you stand good chances of gettings acts of faith off). Of you could tool up the Cannoness somemore. If you wanted to try and add another squad we might be able to trim some points here and there, and get you a squad of storm troopers or perhaps two small squads of heavy bolters.

Lots of options.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I think two more sisters for the rets would be ideal. Ap1 heavy bolters threaten rhinos on top of the candy inside, and as you said 7 is the most common rolled on 2d6. Definatly replace the Multi-melta with another heavybolter. Back when I ran footslogging the heavybolters were the best! 36" AP1 goodness. You could also fill up the squad more, that way there is more breathing room when the bullets go your way and for DG. Another option is buy a cheap DH inquisitor and two mystics for deepstrike protection. 32 points of pure win xD

·
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I'll keep the options open with the multi-melta with the rets. My brothers(who I'm playing against mostly) are going to be threatened by it and the psychological benefits would be interesting to see. I'll probs buy another heavy bolter model and have the option to switch them around. The canoness, yes I can give it a 2+ invulnerable so I'll definately keep that instead of the rosarius, should have noticed that...Any points spare I'll put into more models in the rets, if I can squeeze anymore than 7 in, they will be really effective in faith.

·
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, got 8 in the ret squad and there are still 24 points to spend. Take it to 10 or put them elsewhere?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
You could add two sisters to the rets, or you could give your cannoness something nice like an inferno pistol and put her BS5 to use. I'd upgrade her to a Blessed Weapon and Inferno Pistol, which would be exactly 24 points (dropping the evicerator and the bolt pistol, adding the BW and IP). The BW is Mastercraft, adds +2S, is a power weapon, and strikes at initiative and the inferno pistol is a 6" meltagun that will be very nice with her BS5. This way, it means you have a better chance of cracking a tank open and then assaulting the candy inside.

Reactions: Cannibal God

·
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds pretty good..especially if they hop out of the immolator and she's within 3". That could take out landraiders...With 8 in the unit I think I'll go for that option.

Thanks so much for all the help guys, hopefully I won't lose all of the matches(still need to learn 40k, like no rank bonuses, who'd a thought?).

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you still have some points left I would highly recommend extra armor on the exorcist. Extra armor basically ensures that you can always move unless immobilized, this is great for your most valuable vechicle because it WILL get shot at. If it gets shaken or stunned (i cant remember which is worse) it cannot move or shoot and has to sit there. It is obviously in danger still cause it got shot last turn and hasnt moved, with extra armor you can at least retreat behind cover to survive until your guns are back online.

Most people would agree that if you take armor you take extra armor with it. Its just 5 points to increase the chance of survival for your important machinery.

·
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sadly, I don't have enough points, that comes to exactly 1000. I gave extra armour to the immolator as that would be in the firing line more. Should the exorcist have it instead or should the immolator be allowed to keep it? Also, I could take a sister from the retributors (8 down to 7) and have a few spare points?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Personally I would sacrifice the sister to get the armor. Nothing is worse than losing your most important tank just because you couldnt hide for a turn. Being able to move is the whole point of a mech list, take that away and your tanks are just worthless.

·
Destroyer of Worlds
346 Posts
Personally I would sacrifice the sister to get the armor. Nothing is worse than losing your most important tank just because you couldnt hide for a turn. Being able to move is the whole point of a mech list, take that away and your tanks are just worthless.
truth

·
Registered
593 Posts
I always factor the 5pt upgrade into ALL of my WH tanks. It sucks when you get a "Can't move or shoot" result, and an Ork Nob walks up and opens your tank like a cup-o-soup. moving is always better for a shooty mechanized list. E. Armor lets you keep on moving

·
Registered
625 Posts
Even transports should take EA. If they cant shoot for a turn big deal, drive the 12" pop the girls out and blast away. A transports job isnt to shoot people anyway but to deliver the girls to where they are needed. If it gets a cant move or shoot then your girls are stuck for a turn unless they get out and walk the rest of the way. If they do that then they have to spend a turn getting back in IF the transport survives and gets back to them.

Basically 5 pts for insurance of mobility is worth it on ALL vehicles.

·
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've been playing 500pt games and the three h. bolters are incredible. I'm considering dropping the multi-melta and a sister off the retributors so that every tank can have extra armour. 6 points left, what can they be put into? Searchlights? Sarissa or Purity Seals for Canoness?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts