Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a list i like to use against space marines and mech fire line armies, seems to work some what well for me.

HQ-230pts
CCS with Creed and Kell
vox

Elite-185pts
STS-Special Operations or Airborne Assault
Melta, GL, Flamer

Troops-370pts
Veterans-demolitions with 3x flamers and vox
Veterans-demolitions with 2x melta and vox
Veterans-demolitions with plasma and vox

Fast Attack-210
Valkyrie with MRP or Vendetta
2x Scout Sentinels with AC

Heavy Support-none

Other than its usefullness of blowing up everything around (including themselves sometimes), they dont seem to be that handy against much anything else. I've used this list a few times and I like it, the idea for the veterans is to outflank along with the ST and sometimes the sentinels, and if i make the list in higher points and make a suicidal tank squadron outflank.

So I was wondering what you people could offer of making the list more rounded than a specific role instead.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Welcome to the Guard!

HQ:

Creed isn't worth his points in a game under 1500, while Kell shouldn't be taken in any list under 2K. Take a regular CCS (foot) or a Primaris Psyker (mech) instead.

Elites:

Stormies should always be taken in small squads of 5 with 2 special weapons. Which means meltas 95% of the time. Remember also that they can only take 2 of these. Your list has 3 special weapons in the stormie squad and is therefore illegal.

Honestly though, I wouldn't take Stormies at all in a 1K game. They're just too pricey for the role they fill best (suicide anti-tank). Use the points to buy rides for your vets.

Troops:

Demolitions + meltas makes sense for vets jumping out of a Valk, but not for foot or mech troops. For Vendetta-droppers use 3 x flamer and demo for killing both tanks and infantry.

Any vets walking should be carrying 3 grenade launchers. But I really hope you'll mount up at least one in a chimera (mutli-laser/hull heavy flamer) for killing tanks and MCs up close.

Fast Attack/Heavy Support

Find the points for a 3rd Sentinel.

A Vendetta + melta vets in a chimera should handle your anti-tank needs. But you really need some anti-troop templates. A Hellhound or Russ (Demolisher, Vanilla, or Eradicator) would do you very well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Creed I only took him for fluff wise and to outflank an additional veteran squad but i guess i can get rid of him, and I do like a primaris pysker and as for the storm troopers I keep forgeting they can only take 2 specials instead of 3 like the veterans, even after a few years of playing guard I should learn that at least.

HQ-70pts
Primaris Pysker

Elites-none

Troops-375pts
Veteran squad- 3x GL demolitions
Veteran Sqaud- 3x metla demolitions
PCS
2xInfantry Squads wtih chimeras

Fast Attack-290pts
4xScout Sentinels with ACs
Vendetta

Heavy Support-150pts
Leman Russ with HF

how does this look, more troops to simply take objectives or just to block path

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Here's my version of your list:

HQ
70 Primaris Psyker

Troops
155 Veteran Squad w/3 x Melta, Chimera (ML/HF)
125 Platoon Command Squad w/4 x Melta, Chimera (ML/HF)
110 .....Infantry Squad w/Grenade Launcher, Autocannon, Commissar (Power Weapon)
65 .....Infantry Squad w/Grenade Launcher, Autocannon
75 .....Heavy Weapons Squad w/3 x Autocannon
115 Veteran Squad w/3 x Flamer, Demolitions

Fast Attack
140 Vendetta Gunship w/Heavy Bolter Sponsons (Demo Vet Ride)
145 Hellhound w/Hull Multi-Melta

Total: 1000 pts.

The Vendetta and Platoon take care of long-range light anti-tank/MCs. While the PCS and Melta Vets get up close and personal with heavy armor and MCs. The Hellhound dumps cover-denying templates on hoards while moving 12" and can take a shot at a tank if it needs to. The Vendetta has the ability to dump template-spam death on any unit of heavy infantry that gives you trouble. Or, if you get first turn you can melta-rush the other guy's tanks before he gets to move.

I put a power weapon on the commissar since I had the points left. But you could put a snow plow on the hellhound instead.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm liking this list, I guess I shoul be getting more meltas. and what is your thought on the bane wolf, since I wanted to make a mech army with just bane wolves and hellhounds.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
My thought on the banewolf is that the range of the standard hellhound more than makes up for it's lack of AP3. You just won't get close enough most of the time to put that AP3 template on target.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
by itself it probaly wont, but if you took one with every 2 other hellhounds it might work,though i never seen one in action so I wouldn't be able to say

1 - 7 of 7 Posts