Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well here goes - hi ive been playing orcs and goblins with little success for about 2 years after a 4 year stint on 40k. my friend (an avid dwarf player) is starting a new lizards army and challenged me to best him with a new army, i chose wood elves and here is my 1000 points any criticism whatsoever will be appreciated and improvements will hopefully be made on this list (hes bragging about a 3+save for his warriors or something?) its a little over but we normally let up to 80pts over slide since were playing to have fun.

thanks
avengerbean :soldier:

heroes
spellsiger
1 spellsinger
level 2 wizzard
stone of mere (3+ ward save)

core

glade guard
10 glade guard
musician

glade guard
10 glade guard
musician

dryads
12 dryads

dryads
12 dryads
glade riders
8 glade ride

rare.

waywatchers
10 waywatchers

·
Registered
316 Posts
You are not allowed to post individual point costs, edit it as soon as you can.

Units in a wood elf army work better when you are close to the minimum. Instead of 2 units of 12 dryads I would put 3 units of 8. Exact same thing points wise but you have one more unit to threaten a flank or something. Skirmishers are better when you can put all of them in combat, with 12 only 6-8 will be in combat and the other ones will be doing nothing.

The stone on your mage is not necessary, he will be likely set in a wood somewhere or in a unit of glade guard.

Waywatchers are a good unit to marchblock from the start and a unit of 10 usually means you can't hide them to well to march block. Try a unit of 5-6 instead.

Glade riders are good in units of 5-6 so they can bait and flee. 8 is a little to much.

With the points you save you can fit in a Alter noble with HAil of doom arrow, great weapon, light armor, shield. If you still have points left the helm of the hunt is pretty sweat also.

·
4,361 Posts
Your current list uses 1127 points. So you are over even for your uses. I would suggest the following:
heroes
spellsiger-
1 spellsinger
level 2 wizzard
stone of mere
You need a scroll caddy, nothing more. Just use a level 1 with 2 dispel scrolls and hide in a woods somewhere.

core

glade guard
10 glade guard
musician

glade guard
10 glade guard
musician

dryadss
12 dryads

dryads
12 dryads
Drop both units of dryads to 8 as black rose suggested.

glade riders
8 glade riders
Drop to 5 including a musician.

rare.
waywatchers
10 waywatchers
Drop to 7./QUOTE]

Add in the standard alter noble with hail of doom, helm of the hunt, light armour, shield, and great weapon as suggested.

This will put you at 1039. If you want to use a few more points, I would suggest dropping one of the units of dryads for wardancers.

Good luck,
SirKently

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
okay then ill have a look at the lists drop a few things add a few and see what i can draw up thanks for the feedback i really appreciate it
so here is the army list now (oh and its got more competitive between us it now has to be 1000 points exactly or lower!)

spellsinger
2 dispel scrolls

10 glade guard+ musician

10 glade guard+ musician

8 dryads

8 dryads

5 glade riders+musician

7 waywatchers

so i think that gives me 119 points spare -any advice on what i should pend them on as i do not know how id use alter noble with just glade riders as the only combat troops because if im spending lots of points on him shouldnt he be in a unit thats made for combat like eternal guard instead of something like say glade guard?

also what tactics should i use with this army ? should i use hit and run or something like shoot and scoot?im gonna mostly be against lizards i think with lots of skinks and a slann not too sure though as hes not bought his army yet

thanks for your help you have been brilliant

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive improved my army list a bit with 119 points to spare if you could have a look or a comment it would be apreciated

·
4,361 Posts
I would drop one more waywatcher and pick up an alter noble with the hail of doom arrow, great weapon, light armour and shield.

Have fun,
SirKently

·
Registered
390 Posts
You won't have to worry about a slann at 1k points.

I agree with sirkently's suggestions.

And finally, a bit of advice: remember that your units are faster than his Saurus. Only engage him in close combat when you have a distinct advantage!

Also, if he takes terradons you probably want to try to shoot those down as soon as possible, especially if you take the alter noble that sirkently suggested.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I agree with Kently, we will add invaluable firepower and CC power at this level.

Also, I'd take warhawks before glade riders. For the same points they fly and have hit and run.

To my experience, the damage output from Glade Riders is so negligible it's not worth considering. They are taken as march blockers and baiters. Because of their superior manueverability, it is opinion that Warhawks are better at this, additionally, they can assassinate the skink priests very handily! (4 s4 attacks and 2 s3 can be directed at the fleshy things if you rank them up right when they charge)

Additionally, Warhawks have more wounds for the same points, which means they'll stick around longer.

There was a thread on this much earlier, but I cannot find it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I think the main problem with warhawks is that they are expensive to buy, retailing for ~20 bucks a pop vs 35 for 8 glade riders, and unfortunately there is nothing cheap that is a reasonable "counts as." 3 units of glade riders would cost you $70 while 3 units of warhawks would cost $180. While this isn't a problem for everyone, it certainly is for some folks.

Other than that, if you have the extra special slots then sure, take warhawks over glade riders =)

·
Registered
241 Posts
i must say the HoDA is amazing against lizardmen (well its great against everyhitng)

You will easily be able to whip out an entire unit of Skinks (skirmished or not t2 is just sad) in one blow.
And hell if he puts his Priest in their chalk up the points!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for everyone's idea and suggestions keep adding things as i am adding theese things into consideration in my army list and youve all got some more rep aswell

·
Registered
100 Posts
In my experience an alter with Bow Of Loren and Arcane Bodkins does better against lizzies in the long run than HoDA. The s4 is great, but i'd prefer negating their armor and getting 4 shots per round.

I would make the decision based on his army. If he is running with a lot of skinks go with the HoDA, if he's more focused on CoR and Saurus infantry I'd go with BoL and AB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts