Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Set Sail and Conquer!
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I'm taking! Hopefully there aren't too many other arc people out there reading this though, so they dont get one up on me.

MEh.

Anyway, they're all skitarii, but i'm not bothering with cyber enhancements or anything. Sure, the models all have bionics, but hey.

So yeah, tear it apart. Let me know where I fall short. I gotta prepare for everything!

Doctrines:

Grenadiers, Storm Troopers, Techpriest enginseers, Drop Troops, Iron Discipline.

Army:

HQ:

*Junior officer, bolt pistol/poweraxe, Iron discipline, standard bearer. Ccw/lp all.

Elite:

*5 Man storm trooper squad, 2 meltaguns, deep strike.

*Techpriest Enginseer, storm bolter, surveyor, 3 heavy bolter servitors, 1 plasma cannon servitor

*10 man veteran squad, powerfist/laspistol sergeant, flamer, 2 meltaguns, shotguns for the rest.

Troops:

*Junior officer, Iron Discipline, Heavy bolter

- Infantry Squad, Veteran Sergeant/boltgun, plasmagun, missile launcher

- Infantry Squad, Flamer, Autocannon

*10 Man Grenadier Squad, Veteran Sergeant/powersword, 2 plasmaguns

-Dedicated Chimera, Hull heavy flamer, multilaser Turret, smoke launchers

Fast Attack:

*Sentinel, Lascannon

*Sentinel, Heavy Flamer

*Sentinel, Heavy Flamer

Heavy Support:

*Leman Russ Battle Tank, 3 Heavy bolters, Pintle heavy stubber

What do you think? Personally, I'm going for a non-threatening look, but I feel it could still be a good army if used carefully.

·
2,399 Posts
Here's what I'm taking! Hopefully there aren't too many other arc people out there reading this though, so they dont get one up on me.

MEh.

Anyway, they're all skitarii, but i'm not bothering with cyber enhancements or anything. Sure, the models all have bionics, but hey.

So yeah, tear it apart. Let me know where I fall short. I gotta prepare for everything!

Doctrines:

Grenadiers, Storm Troopers, Techpriest enginseers, Drop Troops, Iron Discipline.

Army:

HQ:

*Junior officer, bolt pistol/poweraxe, Iron discipline, standard bearer. Ccw/lp all.

Frags? I don't think it's a good idea for the squad, but to do it you need frags.

Elite:

*5 Man storm trooper squad, 2 meltaguns, deep strike.

*Techpriest Enginseer, storm bolter, surveyor, 3 heavy bolter servitors, 1 plasma cannon servitor

Surveyor? i'd drop one Hv bolter for a standard meatshield.

*10 man veteran squad, powerfist/laspistol sergeant, flamer, 2 meltaguns, shotguns for the rest.

Flamer? drop. add meltagun.

Troops:

*Junior officer, Iron Discipline, Heavy bolter

Vet sgnt + boltgun ? why with 2x iron discipline LD Bubbles? a 7 point boltgun?

- Infantry Squad, Flamer, Autocannon

*10 Man Grenadier Squad, Veteran Sergeant/powersword, 2 plasmaguns

"Hull heavy flamer" No, no ,no bad bad man.

Fast Attack:

*Sentinel, Lascannon

*Sentinel, Heavy Flamer

*Sentinel, Heavy Flamer

Heavy Support:

*Leman Russ Battle Tank, 3 Heavy bolters, Pintle heavy stubber

What do you think? Personally, I'm going for a non-threatening look, but I feel it could still be a good army if used carefully.
You most certainly are going for a non-threatening look. Play nids if you want to charge your opponent. will be more creative later

·
Set Sail and Conquer!
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You most certainly are going for a non-threatening look.
Wicked! Mission accomplished. :)

...I actually have a fair bit of luck with this style of list, btw...

Frags? I don't think it's a good idea for the squad, but to do it you need frags.
Yeah - now that I got home, I'm looking over my list, and there actually is frags in there. Not that they'll be charging anyone much, I just want them to stand around looking good!

And I should note, this list has already been handed in to the tourney organisers, so not much can be done about changing it. Just wanted people's views!

Surveyor? i'd drop one Hv bolter for a standard meatshield.
Surveyor is the Guard equivalent of an auspex. As for the heavy bolter, yeah, you're probably right, but i've done such a huge job on the conversions that I kinda just want to use them anyway. :)

Flamer? drop. add meltagun.
Yeah, probably should have, but i'm happy with what I've got. 2 meltas should be able to do the trick in a pinch, and the flamer could be useful once in a million games so I like it. The whole squad also has frag grenades, I forgot to mention...

Vet sgnt + boltgun ? why with 2x iron discipline LD Bubbles? a 7 point boltgun?
Its a pretty valid question, and you'd probably be failing in your duty if you didn't point this one out, but the long and the short is I really like the sergeant conversion I've made of this guy - he's hard wired into his adeptus mechanicus boltgun (taken from the techmarine mini), and looks pretty sweet.

"Hull heavy flamer" No, no ,no bad bad man.
Oh man, that heavy flamer can really wreck your opponents game plan if used correctly! Nothing like a flaming chimera of death. I've moderated it a little with a multilaser, however -normally I take 2 heavy flamers on this baby!!! :)

I probably should have said that I'm unable to change the list. More that, i'd like to hear people's thoughts on how they'd go to town against me, so I can try and make some counter tactics! But cheers stayscrunchyinmilk anyways... :)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Seems ok Cadaver. Flamers in a line squad? Won't plasma be better? Just to let you know, 5 deepstriking veterans with 3 meltaguns is cheaper than 5 stormtroopers with 2 meltaguns. Just swap the stormtrooper doctrine for the veteran doctrine. But if it fits with your fluff, thats ok. Wouldn't plasma be better in the veteran squad? But than again I am a plasma lover. You seem to be like me with the use of sentinels. (deep-striking heavy flamers) Hull heavy flamers? whats so bad stayscrunchyinmilk? Most IG palyers haven't tried this, but it can be effective. It can clear out buildings. But maybe a hellhound might be nice? To warn you, the leman russ might be a bit of a fire magnet. A basalisk might be a better weapon. (think about the pyschological factor!!) Nice list. It would be nice to see that auto-loading bassy you were talking about.

·
Set Sail and Conquer!
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems ok Cadaver. Flamers in a line squad? Won't plasma be better? Just to let you know, 5 deepstriking veterans with 3 meltaguns is cheaper than 5 stormtroopers with 2 meltaguns. Just swap the stormtrooper doctrine for the veteran doctrine. But if it fits with your fluff, thats ok. Wouldn't plasma be better in the veteran squad? But than again I am a plasma lover. You seem to be like me with the use of sentinels. (deep-striking heavy flamers) Hull heavy flamers? whats so bad stayscrunchyinmilk? Most IG palyers haven't tried this, but it can be effective. It can clear out buildings. But maybe a hellhound might be nice? To warn you, the leman russ might be a bit of a fire magnet. A basalisk might be a better weapon. (think about the pyschological factor!!) Nice list. It would be nice to see that auto-loading bassy you were talking about.
Auto-loading basilisk? Yeah, its a project on hold at the moment, sorry bud. I'll get it done eventually (maybe when I move to Canberra in a month or so, probably wont have much of a social life for a little up there!).

Just had to quickly finish this army for the tournament THIS WEEKEND first! ARrrgh, running out of time! .....I can do it, I can!

As for the rest, yeah, merit in most of what you say, but this is how i've converted my dudes, and as I said, the list cannot be changed at all. Ah well, was just wondering what you guys all thought about it anways. :)

·
2,399 Posts
5 deepstriking veterans with 3 meltaguns is cheaper than 5 stormtroopers with 2 meltaguns. Just swap the stormtrooper doctrine for the veteran doctrine. But if it fits with your fluff, thats ok. Wouldn't plasma be better in the veteran squad? But than again I am a plasma lover. (1)
You seem to be like me with the use of sentinels. (deep-striking heavy flamers) (2)
Hull heavy flamers? whats so bad stayscrunchyinmilk? Most IG palyers haven't tried this, but it can be effective. It can clear out buildings. (3)
But maybe a hellhound might be nice? (4)
To warn you, the leman russ might be a bit of a fire magnet. A basalisk might be a better weapon. (5) (think about the pyschological factor!!) Nice list.
(1) - You're very right. (well, Tactically, points =same) I honestly haven't considered that properly. I Love My stormies, and play grenadiers, dropping them in the elite slots too, sometimes using 1xHardened Vets for a BS4 Hvy Weapon. At the moment (see 1500point tourney list - please leave feedback)-posted list i'm using 2x plasma storm. squads and 1x Hardened vets squad with 2x meltas.
I'm happy to leave it as it is - for the suicidal plasmas they have 4+ save, and come with Frag & Krak. However, if the rumored rules change comes into effect meaning it's better for larger squads i may go for HVets, as that will work out cheaper. It's up to you though, there's a argument for either.
(2) - please! sir a Multilaser! even after scatter = useful! If you clean out part of a board it has range, thus still a use! You're a vehicle, so it is an assault weapon (Pauses and thinks - yeah, i'm 99% sure. in fact am i right there? it's actually a walker. with a WS. Hmm)
(3) - Efficiency - that first turn of use, range for cross-board shooting. And i prefer my vehicles to avoid being close to opponents like the plague.
(4) - Yep. That's what you use for cleaning out terrain. die bad eldar scouts. Naughty.
(5) - Leman Russe's are a fire magnet. Good. Get Three. Opponent has 2x Lascannons, you have 1x Russ = sketchy use of russ. You have 3x Russes = Usefull russ('s - hopefully). I'd rather run all infantry than 1 russ. - do you know what the terrain'll be like? Admittedly i'm a tread head.

·
2,399 Posts
Oh, well then

I probably should have said that I'm unable to change the list. More that, i'd like to hear people's thoughts on how they'd go to town against me, so I can try and make some counter tactics! But cheers stayscrunchyinmilk anyways...
Ok - This is what i'd do - if you browse army list's yo'ud see mine on 1500 tournament - please leave feedback - skip to the end, it's been edited.

Ahem - Startup - My 8x pieces of armour, (11 drop units - infantry)

1) I'd Go for your Mobility first - That's your Chimera and the Sentinals in that order.
2) I'd go for your template weapons - Sentinals and that plasma cannon. You bizzarely use loads. They will be a problem for my deep striking units, which score objectives, thus winning games. It may not seem apparent to you at first, but they're going to be worth their weight in gold to you.
3) On the first turn my Demo's going to be useless re it's ordenance. I'd Fire It's three heavy bolters at those servitors. Beautiful, 9x shots 2+ to wound no save. Then mop survivors up with my chimera/sentinals if there's a straggler. On his own i can pick off the tech priest later with a deep striking meltagun.
4) After removing your chimera and sentinal I'd try to knock about the leman russ, and chip away at those squads. Suiciding 1-2 deep strike teams to get rid of your command squad will be worth it.

i'd then try to hammer away at you with armour, dropping scoring units either on juicy targets - or keeping tabs on how many i have left - hiding them to score objectives. (If i have to start dropping my men on my side of the board to dislodge your drop troops i'm going to run short. Rapidly)

I Fear -
1) Your deep striking infantry. I have none on my board side myself, unless i deep strike some there. Drop them behind a tank, then use it as a sheild. I hate that - That's a problem.
2) During setup spreading your infantry all over the place. I'll scatter into them, and that's a pig. I also favour Templates (Demo / ordenance / hHound) for starting my infantry removal. Don't let me do that.
3) Don't bunch into the corners against me (I believe it's known as castling)- go to the center, spread out and let me go to the edge, I may sometimes scatter off. I'll also try to wipe out one table corner completely if i can, and trot around a empty section with my single man/small size SCORING UNIT drop troops if there's no beautiful targets. I drop them, I gamble them, But i don't throw them away. Don't let me have a safe area to "land"

·
2,399 Posts
P.S. Another reason i want a safe area to "land" is i actually fear your infantry charging me. my units are too small to put up a fight, and I'm IG trooper melee stats to boot. It's also the best way of destroying 2+ of my units in a turn with one of yours - If i'm forced to pack them in tight. if you're still mulling around in combat with one of my men come my turn i'm in trouble, as i can't target you (or charge after dropping) and I'm threatened in that immediate vicinity when it goes back to your turn - you kill me in my combat and reconcile / move.
P.P.S. Well done me, i have succesfully made a IG list that's worse at Melee than a standard IG list.
P.P.P.S Early game hint - I want to concentrate on your anti- infantry over Anti Tank, I want you with 5x lascannons rather than 10x pairs of boltguns, for later on, when i start dropping - they're what score and win me games.

·
Set Sail and Conquer!
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Woot! As an update, I just thought I'd let you know I came in at 23rd, out of 150. Not too shabby for a first timer!

There were some freaking awesome armies at this thing, and a lot of great people. Awesome tounament.

If anyone is ever in Melbourne around Australia Day, (Jan 26th), you should come check it out, or even enter yourself for the whole longweekend tournament! Lotsa fun. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.