Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Acting XO of Tanith 1st
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Playing in a local campaign, usually end up playing chaos players but potential for just about every army out there, but its mainly chaos, guard, orks, nids.

I'm playing a themed list with the Tanith 1st and only, so all my guys have camo cloaks and my list is fluff aimed but with effectiveness in mind.

Leman Russ Vanquisher
General Grizmund (Pask), Lascannon, plasmacannons, camo netting
-280-
A monstrous points cost for a single leman russ in such a small game. Only reason I'm taking him is because the last couple game I played I got owned by some chaos players because I couldn't kill plague marines/land raiders fast enough from far enough away. I've had good success with this build, minus the camo netting, in the past but only in large games

Hydra

Hydra

2x Vets
3 snipers, autocannon, forward sentries
-250 total-

Vets
forward sentries, 3 meltas, sgt. has bolt pistol
Chimera
-187-

Vets
forward sentries, 3 plasmas
chimera
-200-

Company Command Squad
Camo, 4 snipers, officer has a bolter
-92-

Commissar Lord Gaunt
power weapon, camo cloak
-90-

total: 1249

I think this list has a good balance of anti-tank and anti-horde and anti-meq and provides enough armor for the enemy's AT firepower to be worried (especially since their main threat, a leman russ, has a +3 cove save like the rest of my army).

I have 3 infantry units for babysitting/fire support duties alongside the hydras and leman russ and 2 for a mobile assault/objective grabbing (gaunt will join one of them most likely)

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would advise (guessing that your CCS and the 2 vet squad's with snipers and autocannon's are your babysitting units) dropping the snipers and autocannon from one or both vet squads for plasmas and a lasscannon. This would be effective against Guard (vs chimera's) Chaos and 'nids. Chaos with their 3+ armour save the plasma being useful if they come close is self explanatory, as for Nid's there is nothing quite so depressing as seeing a monstrous creature go down in a flurry of plasma and lascannon fire, so if you do baby sit an objective their troops or w/e would have to try and take it unaided.

You already have autocannon's a plenty of the hydra's, and you seem to have snipers just about everywhere.

Still this doesn't look bad at all especially considering it's a fluff heavy list. 3+ cover saves are nice on flimsy guardsmen, making them much more durable.

·
Acting XO of Tanith 1st
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only stipulation against that is the one fluff rule I adhere to always is my tanith never take lascannons. They have plasmas in small amounts and most other weapons with flamers and snipers and missile launchers most common followed by meltas and autocannons/heavy stubbers but I could take another 3 plasma squad or a squad with 2 plasmas and a missile launcher or 2 plasma cannons, a missile launcher and then have 5 points to give one sgt. melta bombs or both home sgts. bolters

·
Registered
240 Posts
your relying on 3 melta's and pask for all your AT which isn't a good idea. One lucky shot and your transports popped and since that leman russ is worth almost 25% of your over all points it's bound to draw fire. At the very least get some more melta's

·
Acting XO of Tanith 1st
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I end up dropping the camo netting and switching a sniper squad to another squad with 3 plasmas.

I ended up going 6-1 with this list, my last game I lost to khorne berzerkers due to KP's, 5-7. All he had at the end was 2 rhinos and a predator with only a heavy bolter left but they were all in cover and the game ended in the 6th turn with some allied grey knights added due to a campaign scenario. My leman russ was forced into reserves with a -1 modifier on my rolls due to his campaign modifier so it ended up coming in on the 5th turn.

The leman russ is awesome at taking out land raiders and then blowing up it's contents. The meltas were a backup to that, and my autocannons were very efficient at taking out light transports.

The next week is going up to 1500, I'm going add a platoon with the following build:

Platoon Command F-0...........35
Haven't decided between krak grenades for a suicide squad, or a sniper, flamer or grenade launcher.

F-1 grenade launcher..............55
F-2 grenade launcher..............55
F-A 3x Lascannon..................105

1 - 5 of 5 Posts