Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
King of the Burning Sands
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another list, trying out new ideas before I put together my Warriors.

Lords/Heroes

Liche High Priest LVL 3 Nehekhara lore

Tomb Prince GW and... Talisman of Endurance, Enchanted Shield (4+/5++) OR Gamble's Armor, Dragon Helm, Enchanted Shield (2+/6++/2++ vs Flaming)

Core

38x Skeleton Warriors HW and SH, w/ Standard and Musician 180

4x Chariots 200

Special

4 Ushabti

Warsphinx w/ Fiery Roar

Rare

Casket of Souls

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
drop the skellies for a second set of four chariots, drop the casket, upgrade the liche to L4, and spend the rest on an archer bunker for the HLP.

·
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
drop the skellies for a second set of four chariots, drop the casket, upgrade the liche to L4, and spend the rest on an archer bunker for the HLP.
No block of Skellies!? Really?! How would that work out? And would I put the Prince in a chariot and how would he be decked out?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
How would it work out? Quite well! The M5 Ushabti would be your slowest unit outside of the move-and-shoot lich bunker, and with no real battle line, you choose the time and place of melee combat. It'll be virtually impossible for your opponent to force a matchup of his choosing, since you have no casket or catapult to protect.

Why take a prince at all? You don't have to any more since the new book came out.

if anything but his premiere hammer (executioners, black orcs, hammerers, whatever) unit goes after the lich bunker, it gets smashed by the fast elements in your list. if he sends his hammer after them, they're worth around 300 points, including the character (and you can possibly save him by having him leave the unit and play charge/overrun angle shenanigans), so you just eat the rest of his list while ensuring that the hammer unit that went after your archers is drawn so far away that they're sidelined for tge rest of the game. Seriously, not having a traditional battle line for the enemy to sink his teeth into can be a huge advantage.

anyway, at 1250, few people can deal with two squadrons of chariots, four shabs, and a warsphinx. why? cause they have to spend over 300 points on core...core that, in most armies, can't fight your units. it really is unfair to have core chariots, not only do they fight like specials, they allow you to avoid taking weak infantry for 1/4 of your points. and then they probably have a caster and a BSB. you don't have a BSB. another advantage, fewer points spent on characters! seriously, your opponent is lucky to have 600 points to spend after he's bought a (caster) general and BSB plus 300 points worth of...what? empire halberdiers? DE warriors? Meanwhile, you have a 210 point character and 120 points worth of archers, meaning that the dangerous part of your list is 900 points to his 600.

·
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fair enough point. I have a friend playing a Spider rider army for O&G, how do I deal with that? Protect my flanks with Ushabti, wait for them to close in and bum rush them, meanwhile I buff them? He also has that damn gigantic Spider monster too. I'm thinking taking a Necro Sphinx to flank and spank it.

I still don't don't get why you'd take Lore of light over Lore of Nek (which is illegal by the way, you need to take Lore of Nek for Heirophant). But I like your other ideas.

Also, I only have 6 Chariots at the moment so just two units of 3, what should I do with the other 100 points? I was thinking small unit of horsemen with banner for the added combat resolution bonus and flank capability. What you think?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
He means that you would take lore of light in addition to Nehek.

The two of them together is the best way to make TK magic heavy, with a casket etc.

For monsters, the screaming skull catapults can do some damage and the Necrosphixes are a great idea too. For the extra 100 points, buy a catapult :)

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
two sets of three chariots plus some bowmen (with a musician!) to serve as a lich bunker puts you well over 25% core. I wouldn't take a catapult in this list, everything else is mobile, you don't want to be pinned down by the need to defend a catapult.

just slam some chariots into the spider. It's T5, right? ten impact hits (average roll) will put three wounds on it right off the bat. not a bad start. the crews should do two more wounds, that doesn't even count the wound from the horsies. three chariots spam a lot of hits (average 16 S4 and 3 S3 hits), and volume, not quality, of offense, is how you kill monsters.

·
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This list totally bombed against High Elves. Plus there was a bane stone (+1 to wound) smack dab in the middle of the board and because I am so damn slow, he took complete advantage of it.

It was a horrible, horrible game. I'm gonna have to say 'no' to Chariots, at least against what essentially was a gun line army. 2 Catapults and a Casket next time. I need some range, hands down, as well as a big fat block of infantry they will just pound their head against the wall with no avail. He was paranoid about the war machines though, might have to leave a small guard in the back, like a tomb scorpion or something.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Keep at it for a bit, this game sounds like an outlier for the overall performance of the army. After a good half dozen games with the list you will get a better feel for how the army operates and what things you will need to accommodate for.

kneejerk reactions will only lead you to a frustrating spiral of poor performances.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
agreed! chariots really shine in the flanks of anything that's T3. I mean, D6 impact hits plus four spear attacks and two horse attacks? that's a ton! now, I wouldn't charge frontally into a horde of high elf spears with those chariots, LOL...

·
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
agreed! chariots really shine in the flanks of anything that's T3. I mean, D6 impact hits plus four spear attacks and two horse attacks? that's a ton! now, I wouldn't charge frontally into a horde of high elf spears with those chariots, LOL...
Close combat never happened because between bolt throwers, 20 archers, 25 sea guard, they rained enough fire on me. I was setting up for a combo charge against the great sword elves but got shot to bits. +5 to wound didn't help either. If I use them again, I will have them in two ranks if only to make sure they can absorb the barrage and thus be healed.

Nevertheless, war machines are the way to go next time. 2 catapults and a casket to bring the pain, especially since his units are clumped together..

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
wait... now you have me thinking that your entire strategy was wrong. he had soft units like archers and LSG, not to mention war machines, and you ignored those to go after his hammer unit? you would have blown through his shooty stuff without a sweat. in the meantime, your army is maneuverable enough to avoid his hammer unit until after his shooty stuff is dead.

also, keep in mind that we're advocating blocks of four chariots, but you are running blocks of threes. you'd be surprised how much that one extra model helps without sacrificing the 110 points to go all the way to six.

all of that aside, there's nothing wrong with going for two catapults and a casket...that's standard kit in my army! It's just more suited to a battle line than a maneuver army.

·
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wait... now you have me thinking that your entire strategy was wrong. he had soft units like archers and LSG, not to mention war machines, and you ignored those to go after his hammer unit? you would have blown through his shooty stuff without a sweat. in the meantime, your army is maneuverable enough to avoid his hammer unit until after his shooty stuff is dead.

also, keep in mind that we're advocating blocks of four chariots, but you are running blocks of threes. you'd be surprised how much that one extra model helps without sacrificing the 110 points to go all the way to six.

all of that aside, there's nothing wrong with going for two catapults and a casket...that's standard kit in my army! It's just more suited to a battle line than a maneuver army.
Nothing wrong with my strat, the list was all wrong against this army. Can't hit a soft target if you don't have any range and when his range is bunkered by behind his CC units.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
ok, whatever. if chariots can't get around infantry, you're using them wrong. Even the DE player that always beats me to a pulp complains that my chariots run rings around his units, striking when and where they want to with impunity.

·
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
its not even that dude....

bane stone, plus his magic to reroll to hits on archers, and getting no save from the bolt thrower just wrecked me. 35 shots reroll to hits, wound on 5+... that 26 hits average then 9 wounds average. Add the wounds from the bolt thrower of 2-3 wounds, that's average 12 wounds. enough to wipe before they get close enough. and with out march...

missing my point entirely by getting defensive about chariots. yes they are good! I plan to do a 9x chariot train with a TK lord using the destroy of eternlities, in which I would cackle insanely as the chariots paves the ground with enemy bodies.

but not my point! I had a volley of fire always wounding on 5+. worst yet, it range is 6inches around and with two impassable terrain pieces on the edges; funneled and smoked. All because of my unit composition. After that, I am convince that we need two catapults and a casket for range disruption due to having no march ability. And it doesn't get any better than the casket for that role!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would go all ranged when you have taken a high priest at 1250 point and a casket. Drop the prince for a priest with the magic missile light spell and take archers instead of warriors and take the bows on the Ushabtis.
Then just bunk up at your starting line and shoot and magic the opponent away until they get close. Then charge with the chariots and warsphinx. Remember you can use the breath weapon in CC and thunderstomp is warbeasts,swarms and inf. only.

The big spider is a hard nut. But if you get the casket of it will properly die or just shoot it with the ushabtis or if you get the minus Str and T. spell that will hurt it too when getting shot at or in CC.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Bowshabti? Really?

Anyway, my point about the chariots is that if you're serious about going after some archers, a melee hammer unit is not going to block two squadrons of chariots unless you make huge mistakes, so my point is that you made a choice to ignore the archers and go after the hammer unit, and that's the wrong target for a unit of three chariots.

/anyway, I think I've made my point, I won't post in this thread again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts