Librarium Online Forums banner

How well do you think my Space Wolves would do at the tournament coming up?

• 1st place

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • 2nd place

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • 3rd place

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • 4th place

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Won't place in the Top 4.

Votes: 3 5.5%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I've got this tournament coming up on Jan 9th. It's 1250pts and I'm thinking it's going to be about 15-20 people. I'm bringing my new Space Wolves. So far they've done pretty good. Playing at different points levels (from 500pts all the way up to 2000pts), I've done pretty well with them. I've beaten a Dark Eldar player at 1500, tied with an ork player who once got 1st at a tournament at 1850 and beaten a mechguard player who had placed 4th at a 1850 tournament last Dec. My only losses so far has come at the hands of Chaos Marines w/3 Daemon Princes at 1850 and sadly, Dark Angels at 2000pts (which I would have probably beaten had the game not ended on turn 5).

For the upcoming tournament, this is what I will be bringing:

Rune Priest Loki - Boltgun, Chooser of the Slain, Living Lightning, Jaws
Rune Priest Blackheart - Chooser of the Slain, Living Lightning, Murderous Hurricane
Rune Priest Goldmoon - Jaws, Murderous Hurricane

3x Wolf Guards - 3x Combi-meltas, 3x Power Fists (attached to Grey Hunters)

6x Grey Hunters - Meltagun, Power Weapon, Rhino

5x Long Fangs - 1x Plasma Cannon, 3x Missile Launchers
Vindicator

1249pts

I'll keep you guys posted with my results.

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is a practice match for my tournament. I actually played at 1850pts, though basically I kept the same core units:

1850pts Space Wolves (mine)

Rune Priest Loki - Boltgun, Chooser of the Slain, Meltabombs, Living Lightning, Jaws
Rune Priest Blackheart - Chooser of the Slain, Boltgun, Living Lightning, Murderous Hurricane
Rune Priest Goldmoon - Chooser of the Slain, Living Lightning, Tempest's Wrath

4x Wolf Guards - 4x Combi-meltas, 4x Power Fists (attached to Grey Hunters)

8x Grey Hunters - Meltagun, Power Weapon, Rhino, Wolf Guard (RP here)
7x Grey Hunters - Meltagun, Power Weapon, Rhino, Wolf Guard
5x Grey Hunters - Flamer, Razorback w/TL-Lascannons

Land Speeder - Multi-melta/Heavy Flamer
Land Speeder - Multi-melta/Heavy Flamer

5x Long Fangs - 1x Lascannon, 3x Missile Launchers
Vindicator

1850pts Mechdar

(Not sure of all his upgrades)

Farseer - Guide, Doom, Fortune, Spirit Stones, Runes of Warding

10x Fire Dragons - Exarch w/flamer
Wave Serpent - TL-Shuriken Cannons, Spirit Stones
10x Howling Banshees - Exarch w/mirror-swords (Farseer here)
Wave Serpent - TL-Shuriken Cannons, Spirit Stones

10x Dire Avengers w/Exarch + upgrades
Wave Serpent - TL-Brightlances, Spirit Stones
10x Dire Avengers w/Exarch + upgrades
Wave Serpent - TL-Brightlances, Spirit Stones
5x Pathfinders

Fire Prism
Fire Prism
Wraithlord - Brightlance, Missile Launcher

Pre-game:
I think I can handle his list. I've got enough fire power to take out his vehicles. Other than his HQ+banshees, he doesn't have any units that really scares me. I decided to let him go first so that he can't do the last-minute objective contest/claim. I, on the other hand, have a lot of units that scare him. Runes of Warding would be annoying for sure. Then again, so will my 3 rune priests shutting down his psychic powers.

Setup: There is about 5 pieces of terrain - 2 ruins in my deployment zone, 1 ruin and 1 area terrain in his and a big piece of area terrain in the middle-left of the board.

Mission: Capture & Control
Deployment: Pitched Battle
First Turn: I won but elected to give Eldar 1st turn.

Eldar Setup:
He castles up in the right corner. He places his pathfinder and the objective in the forest. He places 3 wave serpents up front and everything else behind them.

Space Wolf Setup:
I decided to castle my forces as well towards my right side (just slightly to the left of his forces) with (from left to right) razorback, vindicator and rhino (exposing its side armor). Behind them are my 3 rhinos w/my Rune Priests. I put my plasma cannon Long Fangs in the ruins on my right, with 1 Land Speeder behind the ruins (and out of LOS). I put my lascannon Long Fangs in the ruins on my left, again with the other Land Speeder behind them. My objective is behind my razorback.

Eldar 1
His farseer fortunes his Wave Serpent and both the the Banshees and Dragons zip 24" forwards towards me. He moves his other serpents, prisms and wraithlord to get a better view to shoot, keeping his prisms behind cover. His shooting shakes my razorback and blows off the demolisher cannon off my vindicator. Not bad...just as I had planned so far.

Space Wolf 1
My forward rhino zips 12" towards his objective and pops smoke. My vindicator and razorback moves slightly to provide cover for my other rhinos and both pop smoke. I move both Land Speeders 24" towards his pathfinders+objective. I get 2 Living Lightnings off (the other one I rolled an 11 with 3d6) but to my disappointment, I only immobilise+shake 1 Dire Avenger wave serpent, shake his Fire Dragon wave serpent and shake 1 prism.

Eldar 2
He moves everything that can be moved, putting his shaken prism behind cover (actually both prisms are behind cover). He also disembarks his fire dragons in the middle of all my vehicles (lots of good targets for them). My rune priests shut down his farseer. He is really concerned about my 2 land speeders and so concentrates his fire dragons and 2-3 wave serpents to taking them out. He only manages to explode one and loses 1 dragon to the explosion (all my guys were still embarked). He isn't able to do anything else with his shooting except blow off the stormbolter on my RP-less rhino.

Space Wolf 2
I zip my lone rhino and flat-out my remaining land speeder to within range of his objective but just out of terrain. I disembark 2 squads of Grey Hunters (but not my Rune Priests) to deal with his Fire Dragons and Howling Banshee's Wave Serpent. I move my vindicator and razorbacks to provide cover for my Grey Hunters should I wipe out his Fire Dragons. My shooting is so so, immobilising + blowing the main gun off the Fire Dragon's Wave Serpent, shaking a prism, killing some Fire Dragons and putting a wound on the Wraithlord with my Long Fangs. 2 of my RP's suffer perils trying to Living Lightning. Assault finishes off the Fire Dragons and blows up the Howling Banshee's Wave Serpent, killing one of my own Grey Hunters but 5 of his Banshees. They pass pinning.

Eldar 3
He moves his DA wave serpent flat-out towards the left ruin with my lascannon Long Fangs and shifts his prisms around. He also moves his Wraithlord towards my rhino near his objective. His pathfinders wreck my land speeder with 2 rending AP1 shots, but his fire prism and wraithlord only manages to immobilise and stun my rhino. He then assaults it but doesn't hit. His banshees assault my grey hunters but whiff their wound rolls. His farseer, however manages to kill one. I, in turn, kill 2 banshees but they pass leadership and stick.

Space Wolf 3
I reimbark my Grey Hunters that just wiped out his Fire Dragons and disembark my Grey Hunters near his Pathfinders+objective. I shuffle my vehicles a bit, moving them all less than 6" except my Vindicator which tried to ram his immobilised DA Wave Serpent but was just short. I moved another rhino 12" towards his objective. I tried to Jaws his Wraithlord but suffer another perils, killing my RP in the process (he already lost 1W to perils before). What he tried to do, my Long Fangs finished by killing off his Wraithlord. My Long Fangs whiff but my Razorback wrecks his Wave Serpent hiding behind the ruins where my lascannon Long Fangs were. In assault, I wipe out his Pathfinders and all the Howling Banshees, leaving behind just the Farseer and losing just 1 Grey Hunter. He sticks around.

Eldar 4
He disembarks his Dire Avengers from his immobilised Wave Serpent and moves them towards my Grey Hunters on his objective. He moves his other squad of Avengers towards my lascannon Long Fangs. He finally gets off 1 psychic power, Doom, on my Grey Hunters on his objective. He shoots at my Grey Hunters but doesn't bladestorm them. When I asked him why he didn't want to bladestorm, he told me between his shooting, doom and assault, he should wipe them out so he wanted to save his bladestorm for my other unit of Grey Hunters coming towards him. Unfortunately, his fire prism's shooting was off and his DA's only killed 1 Grey Hunter. He then assaults and I beat and sweep him. I also kill off his farseer in assault, but he was able to wipe out my lascannon Long Fangs with shooting and assault with his other Dire Avengers. He consolidates behind cover.

Space Wolf 4
Not much happening this turn. I direct my rhinos towards protecting my objective and moving towards his Dire Avengers. I couldn't take out his prisms either because I couldn't see them or I whiffed.

Eldar 5
He takes his objective-contesting gamble, hoping this may be last turn, and moves his prisms flat-out to contest. He also runs his Dire Avengers to be within claiming range of my objective. His other prism tank shocks my grey hunters who just move out of the way. He has no more shooting.

Space Wolf 5
I disembark both my big Grey Hunter squad and my smaller flamer Grey Hunter squad (from my Razorback). My shooting, with all my meltas, long fangs and Living Lightnings couldn't wipe out his 2 vehicles (he was making his covers while I was whiffing on the penetration), though I did wipe out his Dire Avengers. I then proceeded to assault his Fire Prism and managed to wreck it. With that, there was no way he could keep me from winning so he calls the game even before my other Grey Hunter squad had a chance to wreck his other prism.

He destroyed 2 land speeders, 1 squad of long fangs and 1 rune priest. I, on the other hand, almost tabled him except for 2 immobilised Wave Serpents and 1 Fire Prism.

VICTORY: SPACE WOLVES

Post-Game:
The game turned out pretty much how I thought it would be, though I expected it to be much closer. The dice just wasn't with him today as he failed a lot of armor saves. I thought my rolls were about average. I really surprised him when I let him go first. He said he really didn't know what to do, as he normally goes 2nd. Overall, he thought my list was very good and balanced. It was a very fun game overall and I was able to get practice against a quality, fast army.

·
2,399 Posts
How can you have lost to DA? they should be the weakest in the list of your opponents (as a DA player i can say that) - especially at larger games.
your list does look good, and you know how to play it. However, constructive criticism:
Correct me if i'm wrong but you've got more kill points than you can shake a stick at. (More than my average 1750 point IG army for goodness sake!)
On that alone, and how i'd expect opponents to take along anti-tank by the bucket and some to spam AV14 tanks on the tabletop i'd give it 4th - one third of your games will be in trouble.
How would you deal with a monolith?

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I played against DA 4 times - 1 mixed list which I beat by objectives at 2K, 1 against Deathwing which I wiped out, 1 doubles w/SW+SW against Ravenwing+Nurgle marines which they gave up, and the last time against mixed at 2K which I couldn't make a roll to kill his units/vehicles. Coincidentally, that was a Kill Point game which I lost, but had the game gone on, I had more than enough firepower to probably pull out the win.

I admit my KP count is high, but then again, so are a lot of the good teams like Guards, Witch Hunters and Dark Eldar. The thing with my list is that, just like guards, I have enough shooting to usually handicap the opponent so that the difference in KP isn't as great. Unlike Guards, when an assaulty unit gets close enough to assault, I can fight back. I've only lost once in a KP game, and that was against the DA team.

Honestly, I'm not as concerned with monoliths as the I2 necron warriors should be about my 2x Jaws. The more monos they have, the easier for me to phase them out. I also play Land Raider-spam with my Grey Knights (sometimes up to 3 at 150O). At 1250pts, if you spam LR's, you won't really have 1) a scary hammer unit to deal with the opponent or 2) enough scoring units in objectives-based games. I guess I'll just have to take my chances with them with my 3 melta squads + vindicator.

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I was able to get another 2 practice games in today using my 1250 Tournament Space Wolf list.

GAME 1

1250 Tau
Shas'o Commander - Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, 2x Shield Drones, Blacksun Filter, Multi-tracker, Targeting Array, Target Locks, Iridium Armor, Stimulant Injector
2x Bodyguards - Missile Pods, Plasma Rifles, Targeting Arrays

10x Fire Warriors - Sergeant w/Bonding Knife
Devilfish - Smart Missile System, Disruption Pods, Targeting Array, Multi-tracker
10x Fire Warriors - Sergeant w/Bonding Knife
Devilfish - Smart Missile System, Disruption Pods, Targeting Array, Multi-tracker

2x Broadsides - Advanced Stabilisation System, Sergeant w/2 Shield Drones, Target Lock
2x Broadsides - Advanced Stabilisation System, Sergeant w/2 Shield Drones, Target Lock

Results:
We played Seize Ground with 5 objectives. I jaws 2 broadsides and killed his command squad in cc. He conceded on turn 4 with just 2 broadsides and 1 fire warrior left on 1 objective. I had 2 objectives and had a good chance to table him had the game gone on.

I lost 2 rhinos, my vindicator and 1 squad of Grey Hunters. He lost everything but 1 squad of broadsides and 1 single fire warrior left.

GAME 2

1250 Witchhunters
Canoness - Blessed Weapon, Book, Cloak
5x Celestians retinue - 2x Meltas
Immolator - Smoke

5x Celestians retinue - 2x Meltas, Book
Immolator - Smoke

5x Celestians retinue - 2x Meltas, Book
Immolator - Smoke

5x Inquisitorial Storm Troopers - 2x Meltas
Immolator - Smoke (Heavy Support)

10x Battle Sisters - 2x meltas, VSS w/Book
Rhino - Smoke

10x Battle Sisters - Flamer, Heavy Flamer, VSS w/Book
Rhino - Smoke

Exorcist

Results:
We played Seize Ground with 3 objectives. I think the game was decided when I jaws his canoness and 1 battle sister. He had no answers to my Long Fangs sniping his transports and then bombarding his disembarked sisters with frag blasts. He conceded after the top of turn 5 with 1 objective apiece and his rhino contesting my 2nd objective. I still had my turn though and would've blasted his rhino to kingdom come with 2 squads of Long Fangs, melta from my Grey Hunters, Living Lightning and then assault to go up 2 objectives to 1. Had the game gone on any longer I had a good chance to table him.

I lost 3 rhinos and 2 Rune Priests (though my vindicator was immobilised and lost its demolisher cannon). He lost everything but 1 squad of 5 sisters, an immobilised/weapon destroyed immolator and 1 soon-to-be-dead rhino.

There's a good chance I'll see my WH opponent at the tournament. He's also the IG player I played against who got 4th place at the last tournament (though at 1850pts).

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
i am reading through your first battle. i noticed you did some good tactics. but he played illegally without you or him knowing, but i am sure he overlooked his tactics.

His farseer fortunes his Wave Serpent and both the the Banshees and Dragons zip 24" forwards towards me. He moves his other serpents, prisms and wraithlord to get a better view to shoot, keeping his prisms behind cover.
The farseer uses fortune on vehicles and then they move? I think that's a no no. especially when they zoom 24 inches, i don't remember iof the star engines allows 12 inches movement during shooting phrase. but still 24 zoom zoom is no no when the farseer starts his powrs when jumping to and from the shooting phrase.
EDIT: Your 1850 list has more kill points than my 2000 points list..lol. that's alot of kill points.
thanks
antique_nova

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The farseer uses fortune on vehicles and then they move? I think that's a no no. especially when they zoom 24 inches, i don't remember iof the star engines allows 12 inches movement during shooting phrase. but still 24 zoom zoom is no no when the farseer starts his powrs when jumping to and from the shooting phrase.
EDIT: Your 1850 list has more kill points than my 2000 points list..lol. that's alot of kill points.
thanks
antique_nova
I'm not quite sure I see what you're saying. I'm pretty sure it's legal as eldars that I've seen do it all the time. The farseer was attached to the Howling Banshees in the Wave Serpent. Fortune is used at the beginning of the Eldar turn, and a Wave Serpent is a fast skimmer so it can go flat-out 24" He fortuned only his serpent (the Banshees) and not the Fire Dragon's serpent.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
i am saying that if the eldar start shooting spells, it becomes the shooting phrase. So the eldar tanks shouldn't even move, let alone move flat out.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
i am saying that if the eldar start shooting spells, it becomes the shooting phrase. So the eldar tanks shouldn't even move, let alone move flat out.
The farseer powers are used at the start of the Eldar turn, not during the shooting phase. I believe that's the cause of the confusion?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
storm caller from the space wolves cover save power is not a psyhic shooting attack. and if i remember correctly, all psyhic powers are cast in the shooting phase, bar synapse. casting is an option in the shooting phase if you do not run, or fire a weapon.
thanks
antique_nova

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
I hope that the witch hunter player was rolling for shield of faith against jaws.

Personally i'm quite surprised such a SW list has done so well given how top heavy it is (i.e lots of HQ and HS for little filler).

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
storm caller from the space wolves cover save power is not a psyhic shooting attack. and if i remember correctly, all psyhic powers are cast in the shooting phase, bar synapse. casting is an option in the shooting phase if you do not run, or fire a weapon.
thanks
antique_nova
I'm not sure I understand your post, but I'll just say that Synapse is not a Psychic Power, and that some Psychic Powers say in their codex when you can use them. Eldar have this exception, and I do believe CSMs and SMs do too. Most Psychic Powers are usually used in the shooting phase, but not all.

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hope that the witch hunter player was rolling for shield of faith against jaws.

Personally i'm quite surprised such a SW list has done so well given how top heavy it is (i.e lots of HQ and HS for little filler).

Actually he forgot at first. Then on his next turn he remembered. I let him go ahead and roll it but he failed anyways.

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, we just played in the tournament today. Overall, there were 12 players:

4 Mechguards
Mechdar
Witchhunters (the guy I played against in the practice game)
2 Space Wolves
Marines - vanilla (I think) w/drop pods
Marines - Deathwing (he turned out to be over his points limit and thus forfeited his games)
Marines - Black Templar w/drop pods
Marines - Salamanders w/drop pods

I took a couple of pictures but forgot to take them during the game. Also, due to the short lengths of the games (1.5hrs each), I didn't take notes so I will just be giving a summary of the games.

Now, my army:

I modified it slightly from my original list:

1250pts Space Wolves

Rune Priest Loki - Meltabombs, Living Lightning, Murderous Hurricane
Rune Priest Blackheart - Chooser of the Slain, Living Lightning, Jaws
Rune Priest Goldmoon - Jaws, Murderous Hurricane

3x Wolf Guards - 3x Combi-meltas, 3x Power Fists (attached to Grey Hunters)

5x Long Fangs - 1x Lascannon, 3x Missile Launchers
Vindicator

1249pts

To be continued....

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Excuse me if I don't have all the wargears/options totally correct as I don't recall all of them.

GAME 1

Kevin's Eldar

Eldrad

10x Dire Avengers - Exarch w/Bladestorm
Wave Serpent - TL-Brightlances

10x Dire Avengers - Exarch w/Bladestorm
Wave Serpent - TL-Brightlances

10x Storm Guardians - 2x Fusion guns (Eldrad here)
Wave Serpent - TL-Scatter Lasers

Fire Prism
Fire Prism

Mission: Annihilation

Deployment: Dawn of War

Scoring: O-3KP's difference - Winner 13pts, Loser 7pts
4-5KP's difference - Winner 17pts, Loser 3pts
6KP's+ - Winner 20, Loser 0
Tie - 10pts

SUMMARY

Dawn of War is one of my weaknesses as I will lose 1-2 turns of shooting with my Long Fangs. Kill Points is another weakness as I have 12KP's, but you know what? I'm actually glad I'm playing Mechdar in annihilation rather than in an objectives game.

Runes of Warding is the biggest pain. It caused 2 of my Rune Priests to take wounds, after which I was very hesitant to use their psychic powers. On the other hand, my Rune Priest's runic weapon shut down about 2/3 of Eldrad's powers which was pretty good (much better than a psychic hood).

I won initiative but let him go first.

Turn 1

Eldar coming in on Turn 1 (he didn't deploy anything).

I also didn't deploy anything and came in on Turn 1.

It was a somewhat frustrating game as I wasn't rolling well and he was playing points denial by hiding his vehicles. Not much to shoot at, not to mention assault.

Luckily I only lost 1 turn of shooting with my Long Fangs coming in, but it didn't really matter due to Night Fighting. My Long Fangs shooting wasn't that good this game. They whiffed a lot. In 2 turns, they missed all their shots.

Turn 2
I drew 1st blood by blowing up 1 Wave Serpent with my Vindicator on Turn 2.

Eldar: 0, Space Wolves: 1

Turn 3
He in turn, shot down 2 Long Fangs and they ran off the board on Turn 3.

Eldar: 1, Space Wolves: 1

Turn 4
Turn 4 turned out to be big for Eldar. He disembarked his Dire Avengers and bladestormed 1 unit of my Grey Hunters who had disembarked. He only wounded about 7-8, way below average, but I failed 6 3+ saves!!! He then assaults them and wipes them out. His other shooting wrecks one of my rhinos.

I cause enough wounds on his DA squad from the wrecked Wave Serpent to cause them to flee without a chance to regroup.

Eldar: 4, Space Wolves: 2

Turn 5
On turn 5, he isn't able to wreck/kill anything. I assault his storm guardians who disembarked last turn to melta my rhino, win and cause them to flee without a chance to regroup.

If the game ends now, I lose. We roll and the game continues.

Eldar: 4, Space Wolves: 3

Turn 6
He tries to bladestorm another squad of Grey Hunters nearby but doesn't have the same success this time as only 1 dies.

Between my Long Fangs and Vindicator, I explode one of his Fire Prisms. I also assault his Wave Serpent which I had immobilised earlier on and explode it.

We roll to see if there is a turn 7 and there is.

Eldar: 4, Space Wolves: 5

Turn 7
In a last ditch effort, his DA's assault my squad of Grey Hunters and I whiff in combat so it is a drawn combat.

On my turn, I couldn't shoot down anything else. Close combat was another tie and then game ends.

Eldar: 4, Space Wolves: 5

VICTORY: SPACE WOLVES 5-4

I got 13pts (out of 2O). Decent, but I'm pretty sure a few people placed ahead of me. I'm not sure how the others did, but I think the other Space Wolf player (with 1 squad of 5 Thunderwolf Cavalry) decimated the Witch Hunters player to get a full 20pts. I don't think anyone else got 20pts, though a few did get 17pts.

GAME 2 to be continued....

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
GAME 2

I got paired up with another player who also got 13pts in the 1st round.

Han's Mechanized Guards

Primaris Psyker

10x Psyker Battle Squad
Chimera w/Multi-las + Heavy Bolter

Veteran Squad w/autocannon + ?

Veteran Squad w/plasmas + ?

3x Armored Sentinels - Plasma Cannons
3x Sentinels - Autocannons (outflanking)

Leman Russ Battle Tank - Lascannon
Leman Russ Battle Tank - Lascannon

Mission: 5 Objectives

Deployment: Spearhead

Scoring:
4pts for each objective claimed
I think it was 1pt for each objective contested, but I don't quite remember.

SUMMARY
So here we have an IG list with only 2 scoring units and no speed (valks/vendettas) whatsoever. I think I can match his shooting so I was pretty confident with this battle.

He wins the roll for initiative and decides to go first.

IG deployment.

My deployment.

On turn 1, he immobilises and stuns 1 rhino (with the non-Living Lightning RP) only while moving very little.

My turn 1, I shuffle my mobile units forward (except the immobilised rhino which just does nothing). My shooting immobilises his vet's chimera (the one by his table edge) and wrecks his PBS's chimera.

(Note: the 2 photos above are actually from turn 2, but I have no other photos for this battle).

Turn 2
His sentinels come in but from the wrong table edge but because of their autocannons, they were still barely in range to shoot. There is little movement from either of us. He explodes one of my rhinos before I even have a chance to move it. My runic weapon stuffs his PSB's psychic shooting attack, but his Primaris Psyker was able to get off Nightshroud (meaning I would have to take a LD test to shoot his HQ unit). He also takes out my demolisher cannon from my vindicator.

My shooting doesn't do much. I fired both Long Fangs using frags into his PSB squad, with the lascannon splitting fire to shoot his leman russ. We both forget about Nightshroud and I kill off half his PSB. He then remembers right afterwards so I had to take LD tests. Both squads of Long Fangs fail so his PSB's come back from the dead.

Turn 3
We continue trading shots. He almost wipes out my Grey Hunter + RP unit that disembarked from the exploded rhino. This time my RP stops both his PSB and his Primaris' psychic powers. He explodes another rhino, but can't seem to do anything to the 3rd rhino (which was immobilised and so far in this battle did very little) even with 6 autocannons from his sentinels.

I spread out my 2 squads, hiding the 3-man GH unit behind my vindicator while still claiming an objective with them and giving the RP LOS to one of his chimeras (so that I could Living Lightning it). My shooting destroys the battlecannon on one of his russes, explodes the immobilised chimera and immobilises the other chimera.

Turn 4
Now this would be the last turn. When the turn started, the TO announced 20 minutes left so I knew there would not be enough time for another turn. I even told Han that this would be the last turn because we won't have time for another. I'm not sure if it really registered with him because he totally forgets to go for the objectives (either that or he totally forgets that this was a 5-objective game).

Once again, we continue trading shots with little movement on his part. He kills a couple of Long Fangs and some Grey Hunters from my full squad, but with ample cover, the damage wasn't too bad. Once again, he fails to wreck my last rhino, the one that was just sitting there doing nothing the whole game.

On my turn, I move all out. My 3-man GH squad was already claiming 1 objective. My 2nd GH squad goes to claim a 2nd objective nearby. Finally my last GH squad gets out of the last remaining rhino 2", moves 6" and runs about 4" to claim another objective about 13-14" away.

VICTORY: SPACE WOLVES 3-0

I got 12pts for having 3 objectives. That turned out to be the highest score this round as no one got more than 2 objectives. It's kinda ironic that for a Space Wolf army, there was no assaults whatsoever in this game. We were basically just trading shots the entire game. Lots of cover made it hard to kill each other, but in the end the difference was that I kept my eye on the ball (in terms of the objectives) while he didn't.

The Finale was to be against Thunderwolf Cavalry Space Wolves. To be continued...

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
GAME 3

First off, at this point in the tournament, not only did I forget to take pictures, but I forgot I even had my camera with me.

This round I got paired up with the only other Space Wolf player. He massacred his first opponent, which was the Witchhunter Immolator-spam opponent I played with in the practice game (but to be fair, it was the Witchhunter player's 3rd game ever with his new Sisters). Scott, the Space Wolf player, then didn't do too hot in the 2nd scenario against a Guard player, I believe.

Overall, I was at 25pts total and he at 24pts. We were definitely among the top players at that point.

Scott's TWC Space Wolves

Rune Priest - Chooser, Living Lightning, Murderous Hurricane

3x Wolf Guards - 2x Combi-meltas, 2x Power Fists (attached to the other squads)

9x Grey Hunters - Meltagun, Power Fist
Wolf Guard (attached)
Rhino

8x Grey Hunters - Meltagun, Power Fist (RP here)
Wolf Guard (attached)
Rhino

5x Thunderwolf Cavalry - 2x Storm Shields, Thunderhammer, Meltabombs (each equipped differently for wound allocation)

6x Long Fangs - 5x Missile Launchers
Wolf Guard (attached)
Razorback w/TL-Heavy Bolters

Vindicator

Mission: Capture & Control

Deployment: Pitched Battle

Scoring:
10pts for each objective claimed
3pts for each objective contested

Pre-game Thoughts
Not a very balanced list. I've never really highly regarded TWC's. They may be scary, but once you get rid of them the rest of the army is pretty weak. I know, having often played an Assault Terminator heavy Shrike Ravenguard list just before I got into the Space Wolves. Either the enemy gets overwhelmed or I lose badly. It's all about balance in tournies and I think I've got enough balance to handle his list. Maybe in higher points games they'd be good, but at 1250 he's just got too much potatoes and not enough meat (troops).

There's not as much terrain in this map as the others I've been playing, which was actually good. This map had about the standard 25% terrain, with some type of terrain in each of the 6 sections of the board. There are no area terrains - not good for both our Long Fangs, but fortunately we both share the same weakness there. We played all terrains as difficult. He wins initiative and decides to go first, picking the side with 2 hills.

Scott's Deployment
He deploys his LF's on the upper-left hill (from my vantage point) and his TWC along the hill in the middle. He then puts the vindie and 2 rhinos between the hills and the empty razorback to the right of the middle hill.

My Deployment
I placed my 2 LF's on opposite corners (but around the 12" deployment zone) to try to catch his TWC's in a crossfire. 1 LF (w/plasma cannon) was directly across from his LF's but was behind one of the impassable terrain, thus blocking most of the LOS between the 2 LF's (only about 2 LF's in each unit can see each other). My other LF unit (w/lascannon) at the opposite corner was deployed near the 12" deployment line as well and well out of range of his LF's.

I then overloaded the rest of my army to the right of the map, hidden behind my large center terrain (a building played as impassable terrain) from his Long Fangs until I advance forward with (from left to right) vindicator & 3 rhinos.

Scott's Turn 1
He moves his TWC and vindicator forwards towards my rhinos and shuffles his rhinos and razorback. His TWC rolls a 4 for difficult terrain and doesn't clear the hill. I'm not sure if he forgot about my plasma Long Fangs or whether he was trying to use it as a screen for his TWC, but he completely exposed the sides of his vindie to them and didn't pop smoke. His RP Living Lightnings my plasma-LF's and kills the sergeant. His razorback also shoots down 2 from my lascannon-LF's, causing them to flee 7" and regroup next turn. His vindie has nothing to shoot (out of range) so he fleets his TWC but doesn't clear the terrain.

My Turn 1
I advance all my vehicles 6", moving my vindicator towards his and popping smoke on the rhino closest to his LF's, using it as a screen for my 2nd rhino. My far rhino actually moved 12", after which I disembarked my unit so that I could try to Jaws his TWC's. My LF's wrecks his vindicator and shakes his razorback. The vindicator and 2 Jaws from my RP's remove a regular and 1 storm shield TWC.

Scott's Turn 2
He moves his TWC and shuffles his other vehicles. His LF's wreck one of my rhinos (the one that popped smoke). My RP shuts down his RP's Living Lightning so he has no more shooting. Due to bad rolling for difficult terrain in the movement phase, his TWC's try to assault my disembarked unit but are just shy.

My Turn 2
I move my vindicator forwards and the unit from the wrecked rhino behind it (and out of LOS from the Long Fangs). I have a bad shooting turn. My LF's whiff, my vindicator's shot scatters off his TWC and both jaws do nothing, though I did put 1 wound on them with regular shooting. Not good...next turn he'll definitely get the charge.

Scott's Turn 3
He immobilises his own rhino (the one without the RP) trying to go up the center hill towards his objective. He then moves his RP's rhino to get outside of my RP's nullifying range. His Long Fangs immobilises my vindie, his Living Lightning kills 2 from my plasma-LF squad and his razorback shoots down another from my lascannon-LF squad and they fail their LD. They're only 4" from the boad edge, but luckily I roll a 3 so they still stay on and regroup next turn.

He then charges my RP's unit. Counter-attack goes off. Between his 5x thunderhammer attacks and rending and my 4 force weapon/3 power weapon/3 power fists attacks, we both whiff our attacks and only cause 2 wounds to each other for a drawn combat (though he did kill my RP).

My Turn 3
I decided my boys in combat could use a hand so I disembark RP + Grey Hunters from my nearby rhino and move them towards the combat to lend a hand. I also moved the empty rhino 6" towards his objective on the hill. My LF's kill off 2 of his LF's with a plasma cannon shot and my lascannon-LF's immobilises the razorback (now he won't be able to shoot them as his razorback will be out of range). My vindie shoots but misses. I move my other GH unit to within claiming range of my objective and behind the immobilised vindie. I did however, expose my RP so that he still had LOS to use his Living Lightning, but he didn't do anything to the enemy RP's rhino.

I then charge in my Grey Hunters and between my 2 GH units, I annihilate his TWC's while just losing 1. Both squads consolidate towards my rhino and his objective.

Scott's Turn 4
At this point he is playing a defensive game. He can't get to my objective so he's trying to protect his. He didn't disembark his units from his rhinos. He doesn't have much shooting left at this point. His Long Fangs doesn't have much LOS to shoot at my disembarked units, and my RP blocks his attempt to Living Lightning. He does, however, see my exposed RP at my objective and fires away at them with his krak missiles. 3 hits and wounds, but I go to ground for the 3+ cover, thus losing only 1.

My Turn 4
I embark 1 squad of GH's into the rhino and zip 6" forwards to contest his objective. My other unit of Grey Hunters (w/RP) moves forward while using the hill to block LOS from his Long Fangs. My shooting doesn't do much, though my melta did stun his rhino. I also either wrecked his razorback or blew its gun off (I don't quite remember) with my lascannon-LF's.

Scott's Turn 5
Going into this turn, we both knew it would be the last turn as the TO gave the warning last turn. Thus he tried everything he could to claim his objective. He zipped his RP's rhino towards his objective.....unfortunately for him, again he immobilises it at the bottom of the hill and was a good 6-8" away from the objective. He disembarks both units from their immobilised transports and move the unit w/out the RP towards double-melta range of my contesting rhino. Between his Long Fangs and his meltas (once again my RP shuts down his Living Lightning), he only manages to immobilise+stun my rhino. What his shooting couldn't do, his squad did by wrecking my rhino through assault. Good thing my Grey Hunters pass their pinning check.

My Turn 5
I've got this game in the bag. I have 1 objective already and 2 squads of Grey Hunters (1 w/RP) easily within contesting range. However, I'm not sure if contesting would give me a high enough score to win the tournament overall. Thus I had to go for broke. Both my GH units move to within assault range of his GH unit holding his objective. His RP stops my Jaws, but my shooting kills about 2-3. I then multi-charge. Between my force weapon attacks, 2 power weapons and 2 power fists, I wipe out his unit and consolidate into claiming range of his objective. Neither of his immobilised rhinos nor his HQ unit was within contesting range.

VICTORY: JIM'S SPACE WOLVES 2-0

Post-game:
I was the only one to get the full 20pts for the last round. The next closest opponent(s) had 13pts with 1 objective + 1 contest.

Scott's TWC list isn't bad, but I think at this points level it's just not efficient enough. It takes away too many points that should be used to get more scoring units (at least 3 min for a tournament setting). I think it would have worked out better at a higher points game, maybe at 1750pts at the very least. I definitely want to give them a try, and I loved how Scott converted his TWC's (though I'm not sure they would be legal in a GW-sanctioned tourney with the wolves being non-Citidel models).

Toughest Opponent:
It has got to be Mechdar. It was kinda frustrating playing against Kevin's army. He was a good general and really knew how to play his army well. On top of it, I've had some bad rolls there. My Long Fangs were under-performing this game though they did pop 1 wave serpent and 1 prism. My Grey Hunter + RP unit got beaten in cc by Dire Avengers without power weapons. My Rune Priests were fearful of using their psychic powers and in a KP game, I couldn't risk losing them to Perils. Overall, a tough, tough game where I was behind for the most part until turn 6 (thank goodness it didn't end on 5).

MVP:
It's really hard to pick out an MVP unit this tournament. Each unit had its moments. The Rune Priests were great at psychic defense, making it really tough for Eldrad, the Primaris Psyker + Psyker Battle Squad and the opposing Rune Priest to get any powers off. They weren't a big factor in game 1 vs Mechdar, didn't do too much against IG armor in game 2 but did well against the TWC space wolves in game 3.

The Grey Hunters killed 2 units of eldars and wrecked a Wave Serpent. However, they got beaten by some punk Dire's as well. In game 2, they did nothing except claim 3 objectives. They didn't make it into any assaults or even into melta range of any targets.

The Long Fangs were consistent as usual except in game 1. The vindicator actually did alright in games 1 & 2, but was disabled early in game 2 against IG. It was a big threat to my opponents and drew a lot of the AT that was otherwise meant for my rhinos.

Overall, all were solid but I'd just have to give the MVP to my Grey Hunters. They got 3 out of 5 KP's on game 1, claimed 3 objectives in game 2 and in game 3, they claimed both objectives.

OVERALL
As it turned out, my performance in the final game was good enough to get me 1st place in the tournament. 2nd place went to one of the Guard players and 3rd went to the drop podding Black Templars. All the people there were really cool and I had a great time. I'll definitely try to make it to more tourneys there in the future.

For my prize I got a gift certificate which I used to add the following 2 babies to my future army:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.