1 Death Jester
Shrieker Cannon; Flip Belt; Holo-suit
1 Shadowseer
Harlequin's Kiss; Shuriken Pistol; Hallucinogen Grenades; Flip Belt;
Holo-suit; Veil of Tears

5 Maugan Ra's Disciples (Dark Reapers) @ 175 Pts
Reaper Launcher

1 Asuryana Khain (Wraithlord) @ 155 Pts
Flamer (x2); Bright Lance (x1); Missile Launcher (x1)

Models in Army:

Total Army Cost:

I'm planning on playing this army at a tourney in a couple of weeks, so it is supposed to be as much as well rounded as possible.

·
479 Posts
well then... i see that your only anti-armor unit is the wraithlord. I'd take out the scatter laser from the guardians and add a bright lance/ EML. Also, i'd try to get at least one other melee unit as you will be shooting a lot and need as many counter attack units as you can get to stop assault units from reaching your lines. Thats about all so good luck with the list!:happy:

·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well then... i see that your only anti-armor unit is the wraithlord. I'd take out the scatter laser from the guardians and add a bright lance/ EML. Also, i'd try to get at least one other melee unit as you will be shooting a lot and need as many counter attack units as you can get to stop assault units from reaching your lines. Thats about all so good luck with the list!:happy:
Never was a fan of one shot weapons on the guardians: low BS means that half the time they will miss and considering how much I'm paying for those weapons I don't want them to miss!

It's true that all my anti.tank resides in the lord, but I am thinking of keeping Maugan Ra's rending shots as a little surpries (5 rending shots mean that one should nearly always rend and it should be enough to open up a dent in a land raider!) Plus when (and if) I get close enough I have the Wraithguard's magic wraithcannon of wonder that can pop anything open! =)

Counterassault... wraithguard are good enough at holding their ground in HtH, and will be helped by the harlies (thinking of putting a death jester in there, as their counterattacking role will mean they won't run ahead of the rest of the army, but stand slightly back). Maugun Ra will be able to lend a helping hand here and there where needed and the wraithlord, albeit with only 2 attacks, can still crush an opponent or two in HtH.

Main idea would be to shoot out most of the units before the reach HtH! =)

·
Registered
177 Posts
take out the reapers, they are way too expensive. throw in some fire dragons or something. but you did say you are sick of mecha, so I guess you're up to your eyeballs in hearing about the falcon/dragons combo, I don't really like that one myself. otherwise I hope you know how to use wraithguard, cause they are pretty dead if you aren't careful. does the word battle cannon bear any significance to you? sure they have conceal, but that unit is well ****ed in some cases. and I never cared for scatter lasers myself. it's a very average weapon. you can get higher strength weapons for dealing with tanks, and you can get better weapons for dealing with troops aswell.

·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It wouldn't feel right not fielding reapers in an Altansar themed army! =) I like my fluff very much and between efficiency and fluffiness I always choose fluffiness!

Most of all because it's always good for morale when a fluffy army wins a tourney! =)

So the theme is Altansar, so Maugan Ra and the reapers mus stay. Absolutely! ^_^

Regarding ScatterLaser, the only other weapon I would change it with would be a Shuricannon, though I'd rather have the extra 12" range to play with... anti-tank weapons like EML and BLs are one shot weapons and I don't really feel like relying on one shot on BS3 guardians... plus they cost a hell lot more and wouldn't really fit in the point economy.

What I changed after a few thoughts was the unit of pathfinders: while they will be absolutely GREAT in the next edition I need more bodies to fill out the ranks, so in went another unit of scatterlasering guardians! =)

·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Updated the list, this time it should be fairly definitive.

I'm planning on taking it to a tourney in a couple of weeks, so I've thought it out to be as well rounded as possible, with a fair chance against any or all opponents.

In case you were asking, I decided to field a death jester, mainly because nobody fields him and secondly because the harlequin troup is supposed to act as a countercharge for the wraithguards, thus meaning that it could spend quite a lot of time out of HtH and the jester's shrieker cannon at least asures me that they will be doing something during that time.

Unsure of where to field Maugan Ra. Although it would look pretty, he's DEFINITIVELY not going with the reapers. The decision is between attaching him to the wraithguards, attaching him to the guardians, or just keeping him unattached, although near enough to other units so that he may not be picked as a target.

Furthermore a doubt regarding the guardian's weapon platform: I opted for a starcannon simply for old times sake, 'cause I haven't used one since the new codex came out, although I am really unsure on which weapon should I field. I believe I have enough anti-tank with the wraiths and lord (and a possibly rending Maugan Ra) and probably sould concentrate on hoard containing, but I don't know i'd go better at holding on to the two extra shots of a scatterlaser (I usually field these, but in much larger quantities) or going for the better AP of the Starcannon. (plus I don't know what to do with the extra points in case I change the cannon to a scatterlaser! =P)

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
ok like the rist-
Mr Ra- clearly fluff based, but that shooting gives you nice options

Guardian squad - perhaps larger than I would have gone for but fine

pathfinders: not sold on they realyl need specific tagets to get their points back, they fit the army theme, but given guardians are not ultra efficient, between the two units, this is a low return on quite a number of points, on the whole I would drop one squad or the other, and probably the pathfindes would eb first to go as they are more static than the rest

harleys with death jester - yup - you picked the only good use fo DJ,

Like the WL, I would want an exarch in the reapers, they are priceless, particularly with tempest launcher.

not sure on what the farseer is giving you? re rolls for the WG or reapers presumably, but with 2 warlcoks you dont need the support so I would be tempted to ditch, mainly because:

AT - oh god you are light on AT, the only dedicated AT is the WL, the WG, the harleys, can both do this if they get close, but what if your opponent stands and shoots, accordingly I want more AT, ideally another WL but would settle for a V cannon

·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok...

Regarding AT I think I should do ok: there aren't a lot of mechanised armies around where I play and up to now I fared more than well with only 2EML and 6 dragons in a falcon, so I think that I should be able to work it out with the WL, Maugan Ra's cannon and the guardians for lighter tanks (plus the obvious wraithguard and harlies if they get close enough).

What I can excange with the pathfinders and still remain decently within the theme is a unit of 6 bikes with 2 Shuricannons, or yet again 2 units of three for better long range harassment and added mobility, although I do not have the models (nor the points) to fit warlocks with them.

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
hmm that is a shame, dont think I would go with the bikes then (dont often catch me saying that), you got no DA models?

At fari enough, try it, I know around me and central events it would lack AT but things may be different for you

·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plenty of DAs, as I have always played mechanised Biel Tan up to now, but I don't really think they fit the Altansar-Dead-Warped-Craftworld theme that well! =)

·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I usually don't modify models to have them fit with the theme... it seems a bit like trying to cheat the fluff! =P But for once I'll go for a tad more competitiveness than fluff and I'll downgrade the starcannon to a good old scatterlaser, while exchanging the Pathfinders for 8 avengers, exarch with power weapon and shimmershield, defend and bladestorm. It's the usual set up I use for avengers, making them good all rounders and unit blockers (defend can do miracles!).

I'll modify the armylist in the first post.

·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Addendum: any advice on how to model the dire avengers for the list?

Seeing that the army colour will be black I initially thought to paint them bone coloured, but I'd rather keep that option for the wraithguard, making them stand out among the rest of the models. So it's up to good old modelling!

Warping them because of the long permanence within the Eye of Terror isn't a bad idea, but I don't have the faintest idea of how to do that. My modelling skills are above average, just that at the moment I am at a loss for inspiration (it's all consumed by my thesis at the moment! :p )

Any advice would be more than welcome! =)

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
erm good Q, I have considered in the past doing an eldar army with a hint of slanesh, using parts of the old deamonettes to convert banshees for example, but that doesnt really help, I supose we are talking mutation, perhaps the use of bits of dark eldar in there too, not easy though

·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I thought a bit on the sunject and resolved in warping parts of the armor by heating and then bending them. But the most will be the paint job: base colour black with highlits done to make the armor a "warped" feel.

Although sadly I'll have to see if I can manage to find the time to do all this in the next couple of weeks before the tourney, as I always prefer fielding a completely painted army! =)

BTW: rep for you Cheredanine! =)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.