Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so after a long time a way from the table, starting up plans on a list for an army to put together. was going for a sort of blend of the american forces in Reign of Fire and the bad guys in Killzone. shrug, some people start new races, i just use a different variant of ig w/ different doctrines (this one is almost completely different make-up and play-style from my old 'standard' guard list). just none of the other races appeal to me nearly as much as the ig still do.

doctrines:
drop troops
grenadiers
veterans
rough riders
xeno mounts (chapter approved creature feature I)

HQ Command Squad - 3 flamers
5 Veterans - 3 plasma guns
5 Veterans - 3 plasma guns
(these three units will be d/s'ing)
208 points

10 Grenadiers w/ 2 plasma guns, vet sgt w/ power weapon
mounted in Chimera w/ multilaser, heavy bolter, smoke launchers, extra armor
672 points

Hellhound w/ heavy bolter, extra armor
Leman Russ w/ 3 heavy bolters, extra armor, smoke launchers
Leman Russ w/ 3 heavy bolters, extra armor, smoke launchers
Demolisher w/ 3 heavy bolters, extra armor, smoke launchers
619 points

that's for a 1499 list, then for 2000 points i'm adding

10 rough riders w/ hunting lances, xeno mounts, vet sgt w/ power weapon
10 rough riders w/ hunting lances, xeno mounts, vet sgt w/ power weapon
10 stormtroopers w/ 2 plasma guns, vet sgt w/ power weapon
500 points
(the rough riders are going to be grenadiers on wolves to keep the theme, as well as to justify the 4+save gained from xenos and the bite attack)

alternatively, at 1500, i could replace a grenadier squad with 2 full units of normal rough riders w/ hunting lances.
will have to wait until playtesting to figure out what works for that and how exactly to work my tactics but the general plot of the story is to bring the fight to my enemies.

i love sentinels too and wanted to fit 3 in my command platoon, but i couldn't figure out where to possibly skimp enough points for them and having never used them before, what they'd be best suited to be armed/wargear'ed with (shrug, if they're cheap enough maybe end up replacing a unit of rough riders with them, that's around 140 points)

and thoughts on adding heavy stubbers, they seem like a good idea, but i can't decide where to put them and how many to take, plus where to cut the points from since i love all these units and want to field them (though maybe there's no need for a 4th stormtrooper/grenadier squad).

still trying to figure out how i want to model the drop troops as but i'm leaning towards using the 2nd edition stormtroopers for my grenadiers (depends on their availability as well as what i can figure out to do modelling-wise to make those rough riders)

anyways, looking for some suggestions/corrections on the current version of the list. thx in advance.

·
2,399 Posts
still trying to figure out how i want to model the drop troops as but i'm leaning towards using the 2nd edition stormtroopers for my grenadiers (depends on their availability as well as what i can figure out to do modelling-wise to make those rough riders)
anyways, looking for some suggestions/corrections on the current version of the list. thx in advance.
I did this - with the exeption of rough riders & xeno mounts (Classy. I do approve, however that's just not my play style.) - Mine went along the lines of every single deployed unit at the start of the game is armour - make the anti-infantry units useless. Then, later on deep strike totally expendable small infantry units - for the one shot kill attempt.

With my playtesting, looking at your list - very, very similar in alot of ways.
You have no-where near enough anti-armour. A land raider or monolith will wreck your day. - You'd be chasing 6's on the russ varients main cannons as your only options, and it's just plain embarrassing to lose to necrons.
Opposing Russes or Falcons will also grate against you (as they do everyone)

The Chimeras and S/Troops are lovely on paper, but in reality are too expensive for what you can get out of them - I'd cut those squads to 8 or 6 man. and down to 2 number. - They're guardsmans Toughness in 4+ armour, and will flee just as much as a Standard guard wit ha junior Officer nearby. - Lots of your opponents will not break their stride against 4+ armour saves.

The vets - I love these more and more each day, however:
Your sargents have access to the armoury, so give them boltguns - increase your 2x BS4 shots strength up for loose change.
Plasmas are for stormtroopers in my opinion, because of their armour save. I'd give the hardened vets Meltas instead (If you want elite stormtroopers dropping you can - The doctrine comes free with Grenadiers, as per the IG FAQ)

For little tweaks - the hellhound screams at me for smoke launchers - with low AV it'll get more Penetrating hits. I found 3 flamers on a deep striking squad cumbersome, and would go with 2, but it's up to you.

at 224 points per S/Trooper squad and transport you can drop one, add another hardened vets, and a Xeno mounts squad, and splash the change about.

Gameplay hints - stormtroopers are plain rubbish at pretending to assault. Hardened Vets - given non-las weaponry are better, and cheaper. Or, if you really want to melee Lt Shaeffers men have 2 attacks in the statline (and he's not poor either - and you get another IC included in the bundle.) I'd leave it to the rough riders, really.

On sentinals - I love them. Like lemmings in front of the rest of my armour with Multilasers (like a Hvy bolter, but better) or with Lascannons for your much needed anti-tank at the back (and Autocannons for Transports, however i know it's statistically the best but i leave that job to the LR's and don't bother) - don't spend too much on them, don't get them in large units as their armour value cannot be changed and they die easily - If your opponent uses a Lascannoned Predator/Devastator squad/Lascannon AT squad/shuriken cannon/broadside unit etc etc agains one - it dies. Spectaculary. But for the points value for attention gained - it's worth it. I don't like deepstriking them though.

On stormtrooper models - the 2nd ed ones are nice, but you'll have a nightmare getting the plasmas or sgnts, and your eyes will bleed when you see the prices for individual "collectors" from the range. 2xPlasmas and a sgnt? £15. You must have a sgnt and the model variation isn't there - out of the 2x sgnts one has a boltgun as a solid lump on his chest (are you good at remaking the front of a model?), an auspex (easily changed) and plasma pistol - out of the box who on earth would use that combination? The other one - Hellpistol & sword is nice, but put 3 on the table and it you can spot 3x identical minis from the other side of the room due to the pose.
May I suggest scratching something together for a project like this? S/marine legs, cadian torsos and IG trooper arms with cut down marine shoulder pads and F/W respirator heads maybe? all are fairly easy bits to come by, bar the F/W heads and you get nice packs/equipment bits that already fit the torsos with them to boot. (Although a 2-3 month wait at the moment). I've seen some good elysian and Tau Fire warrior conversions.

·
Registered
668 Posts
You have no-where near enough anti-armour. A land raider or monolith will wreck your day. - You'd be chasing 6's on the russ varients main cannons as your only options, and it's just plain embarrassing to lose to necrons.
Opposing Russes or Falcons will also grate against you (as they do everyone)
That is no joke. The best anti-armor weapons you have here are your plasma guns, and you'll have to be manuvering with some serious cleverness in order to hurt bigger tanks. Also, like stayscrunchy said, against Land Raiders and Monoliths, you won't even be able to hurt them.

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
alright worked it out some to, here's the revised:

doctrines:
drop troops
grenadiers
veterans
rough riders
xeno mounts

at 1500 points:
hq command w/ 2 flamers
5 veterans w/ 3 plasma
5 veterans w/ 2 plasma

8 grenadiers w/ 2 plasma guns
mounted in chimera w/ smoke launchers, extra armor

sentinels w/ lascannon
sentinels w/ lascannon
hellhound w/ extra amor

leman russ w/ 3 heavy bolters, smoke launchers, extra armor
leman russ w/ 3 heavy bolters, smoke launchers, extra armor
demolisher w/ 3 heavy bolters, smoke launchers, extra armor

for 1999, adding:
sentinel w/ lascannon(all 3 combined to form 1 squadron and moved from fast attack to command platoon)
8 rough riders w/ hunting lances, xeno mounts, vet sgt w/ power weapon
8 rough riders w/ hunting lances, xeno mounts, vet sgt w/ power weapon
8 stormtroopers w/ 2 plasma guns
adding smoke launchers to hellhound, third flamer to command squad, third plasma gun to veteran squad

dulled the grenadiers down, pretty much going to use them to follow up the heavy tanks and hold objectives, with the points from that (and a couple guns off the suicidals) got those sentinels which should hopefully be enough firepower.
thought about adding a second sentinel squadron but decided that i 'must' have two units of those riders and the hellhound. the smoke launchers were skimped off the first list and the 1500 here to make the point limit, figuring it's slightly less of a target with the bigger tanks around it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.