Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I was looking at all those spare Imperial Vehicle Accessory sprues from my Armoured Company I've got the other day, and now I've decided I'm going to turn them into a "proper" IG army. I'm going to cut all the Hull Lascannon I've got and turn them into Lascannon teams. I'm going also cut down my many heavy stubbers and make heavy bolter teams out of them.

Anyway I've been working on this list. My Armoured Company is the Narmenians from Gaunt's Ghosts, so as a natural extension I decided to make this the Vervunhive Defence Force from the novel Necropolis. This however means that some things cannot be tampered with for "fluff" purposes. I'll put my comments in italics where I feel something needs explaining.

Doctrines:
Close Order Drill
Iron Discipline
Veterans
Sharpshooters

HQ 331pts

Volpone Bluebloods Command Platoon - Junior Officer, Honorifica, Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol.
Squad - Plasma Gun, Heavy Bolter
Anti-tank Squad - 3 Lascannon + Sharpshooters

Feel free to tinker with this how you want.

Gaunts Ghosts Elites 162pts

6 Hardened Vets - 2 Plasma Guns

These are going to infiltrate, I'm going to convert the models to Gaunt's ghosts with long cloaks etc. Ok so the plasma guns aren't exactly fluffy, but without them they are pretty useless. I'm willing to modify them according to suggestions, but not remove them.

Troops 540 pts

Volpone Bluebloods Infantry Platoon A
Junior Officer - Boltgun
Command Squad - Heavy Bolter, Plasma Gun
Squad 1 - Heavy Bolter, Plasma Gunner
Squad 2 - Heavy Bolter, Plasma Gunner

Volpone Bluebloods Infantry Platoon B
Junior Officer - Boltgun
Squad 1 - Heavy Bolter, Plasma Gun
Squad 2 - Lascannon, Plasma Gun
Squad 3 - Lascannon, Plasma Gun

Feel free to alter, but the only heavy weapons I will be using are converted Lascannons and Heavy Bolters to cut costs.

Heavy Support 465pts

Leman Russ - Hull HB + HB Sponsons

A detachment from my Narmenian Armour. This is the only thing I can't really change in this army list due to me already having the models.

1485pts

I'm still debating with myself what to use that last 15 points on.

All suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just one or two thoughts that occured to me (Don't take them too seriously as I'm only just starting IG). The Army Commander could take a Medalllion Crimson to stop instadeath, it depends if you expect massed heavy weapon fire.

An Idea I was going to try to save costs was to make "mobile" heavy weapon troopers. Instead of having two men on a base with a heavy bolter, strap the heavy bolter to the back of a guardsmen and convert a weapon strap to hold it on. Give the impression of the team being mobile, then they take the heavy bolter down and set it up once they are in position. This way you could also use the spare heavy bolter from a weapons team and a normal guardsmen.

For your hardened vets, maybe one team could take meltaguns for tank hunters. Or with the Light Infantry doctrine sniper rifles? Depends on how you play, Plasma Guns are good versatile weapons, guaranteed at least one kill a game (Even if it is your man :D)

·
Dawn Under Heaven
3,577 Posts
For your hardened vets, maybe one team could take meltaguns for tank hunters. Or with the Light Infantry doctrine sniper rifles? Depends on how you play, Plasma Guns are good versatile weapons, guaranteed at least one kill a game
Stick with the plasmas, Melta guns are only any good on deepstriking suicide squads. Sniper rifles are only any good when mass fired, hence if you want snipers Ratlings are really the only cost effective choice.

Just one or two thoughts that occured to me (Don't take them too seriously as I'm only just starting IG). The Army Commander could take a Medalllion Crimson to stop instadeath, it depends if you expect massed heavy weapon fire.
THe Commander should, never, ever, be getting shot at if he's there for leadership. So the medallion crimson isn't worth it.

----------

HQ 331pts

Volpone Bluebloods Command Platoon - Junior Officer, Honorifica, Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol.
Squad - Plasma Gun, Heavy Bolter
Get rid of the plasma gun and heavy bolter, this unit should optimanly be plased out of LOS. Instead buy the unit a standard bearer. Also since you've taken Iron discipline, why not put it on your Officer?

Also I think two anti-tank lascannon squads is overdoing it a bit. I'd drop one.

Gaunts Ghosts Elites 162pts

Yeah, that should work.

Troops 540 pts

Volpone Bluebloods Infantry Platoon A
Junior Officer - Boltgun
Squad 1 - Heavy Bolter, Plasma Gunner
Squad 2 - Heavy Bolter, Plasma Gunner

Volpone Bluebloods Infantry Platoon B
Junior Officer - Boltgun
Squad 2 - Lascannon, Plasma Gun
Squad 3 - Lascannon, Plasma Gun
Yeah, looks ok. Although I'd use the points saved by dropping an anti tank squad to buy some mroe infantry squads.

Heavy Support 465pts

Rolling Thunder! :yes:

I'm still debating with myself what to use that last 15 points on.
I'd use it to buy Iron Discipline for each officer.

Also, if you want variety in heavy weaps, try swapping bitz with other IG players. They'll usually have a few left over.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Orkimedes41792 said:
Awesome list, the only thing I want to know is your ghotst's configuration
Hmm, you mean model-wise?

Basically a long time ago I made some sniper scouts by bit-ordering 10 Exitus Rifles and combining a box of Cadians kitbashed with SM chestplates + shoulderpads.

However while they look better than the metal models I would have been forced to use otherwise (the same 2 guys over and over again..) I've never actually used them. I bought them as a C'tan deterrent, but since then I haven't since fought a C'tan. When I heard that plastic sniper scouts were coming out, that was the final straw.

I'm going to pull them apart, replace their chestplates/shoulderpads with IG parts with all the armour/details sanded off and green-stuff on long cloaks. I'll mount loads of bushes/scenery on the bases and paint their cloaks as close a colour to that I can manage(cameoline :)). I'll also take a load of knives from the SM sprue to give them Tanith blades. And not forgetting of course the blue tattoos above the eyes.

Voila - Gaunts Ghosts.

I intend to infiltrate them in opposing table quarters to form a small briar patch of pain. While I'm sure they'll be easily mopped up, their plasma should put the hurt on anyone approaching and force the opposing player to detail some forces from his main battleplan to 'weed them out'.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Opinions please people - which list is better? I tried to redesign the list to give the Tanith a bigger role without compromising my numbers or firepower. I hoped to infiltrate those vets seperately or together in some cover and force my enemy to weed them out. Oh, and hopefully they might get an early shot and take down a hammerhead/falcon. Try not to think of them as 3 small veteran squads, but one big 15 man veteran squad...

Doctrines:
Close Order Drill
Veterans
Iron Discipline

HQ 265pts

Volpone Bluebloods Command Platoon
Junior Officer - Iron Discipline.
Command Squad
Anti-tank Squad - 3 Lascannon
Anti-tank Squad - 3 Lascannon

Tanith Elites 270pts

5 Hardened Vets - 2 Plasma Guns, Lascannon

Troops

Volpone Bluebloods Infantry Platoon A 280pts
Command Squad - Plasma Gun
Squad 2 - Heavy Bolter, Plasma Gun
Squad 3 - Heavy Bolter, Plasma Gun

Volpone Bluebloods Infantry Platoon B 200pts
Command Squad - Plasma Gun
Squad 2 - Heavy Bolter, Plasma Gun

Heavy Support 465pts

1500pts

·
Dawn Under Heaven
3,577 Posts
Only things I don't like about that list is the LD and the Veterens

LD is more down to personal taste, apparently some people do well with nothing greater than LD8

Veterens. Not a good config there. The need more bodies. IMO you need at least 1 body for every gun, preferably more.

But otherwise, nice list.

·
durus
2,771 Posts
I really like your second list, with the exception of the Vets. I love vets too, but like Triumph said they need to be bigger squads to take some heat. One blast from a P. Destructer, and the squad gone or running.

Other than that,(Y) good list. Of course i'm known for my preference for Plasma Guns and Lascannons! i also like two Lascannon squads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.