Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty tired of mechanized guard. Everyone uses them and while they are good, they just get old to play too often, so, I have created a semi-fluff artillery heavy list that I would like to play in some friendly and competitive local games. The basic fluff is that they are an artillery regiment operating in wintery cities (stalingrad esque) and that has prevented them from fielding tanks or transports.
To Yaraslau if you read this, I did not mean to rip off your list in any way, however I liked your use of Creed and the commissars, so thank you for the idea.

HQ: 165 pts

CCS: Creed, vox, camo cloaks

Elites: 40 pts

Ratlings x 4

Troops: 665 pts

Infantry Platoon 1
PCS: x 2 flamers
Infantry Squad: plasmagun, missile, vox, commissar
Infantry Squads x 3: plasmagun, missile

Infantry Platoon 2
PCS: heavy bolter
Infantry Squad: grenade launcher, heavy bolter, vox, commissar
Infantry Squad: grenade launcher, heavy bolter
Heavy Weapon Squad: x 3 mortars

Fast Attack: 120 pts

Scout Sentinel Squadron: x 3 sentinels, x 3 autocannons

Heavy Support: 510 pts

Basilisk

Colossus

Medusa and Griffon: bastion breacher shells, camo netting

Basically, the infantry squads and platoon command squads combine into 20-25 man squads and make the most of Creed's command radius with orders. The first platoon focuses on heavy infantry and light vehicles while the second is anti-hoard. Creed makes one of the combined missile squads scout onto an objective and the others follow suit and the occasional commissar helps them hold their position at all costs. Mortars and ratlings camp in back and shoot for pinning. As for artillery, the basilisk hides in a corner and takes out enemies in the back while the colossus tears pesky units out of cover. The medusa sits in front of cover shooting at armour and the griffon paired with it sits behind cover, giving the unit a cover save and taking all the hits. I hope you all like this list, or even better: suggest a way to give it even more punch! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
1) The CCS is wasting it's BS4. Put some weapons in there.

2) Ratlings are too unreliable. Drop 'em for Marbo.

3) Infantry loadouts should be grenade launcher and autocannon. It's the most cost-effective combo and will just shred transports.

In fact, you'll want to spam as many autocannons as possible. It's the best light-armor killer and it isn't too bad vs. hordes either. So swap out those mortars.

4) Sentinels: Good!

5) Artillery: You've got one of everything here. Pick a focus (Anti-Tank, Anti-Infantry, Cover Denial, etc.)

6) You need some melta to kill tanks and MCs with up close. Put these in 5-man deep-striking stormtrooper squads to keep in your theme. Make sure you take at least 2 squads.

7) You need flamers, and lots of them, or Orks and Nids will stomp your face in.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
On the whole it looks good but there's just a few things;

HQ:
I'd what a Heavy weapon or just a few special weapons in here. Don't waste that BS4.

ELITES:
These guys are a points filler. They're, to be honest, not brilliant and are an easy kill point. See if you can better invest those points else where.

TROOPS:
1-Plasma is too expensive on BS3 Models. For the over heats and the amount of times you'll actually hit it's not a good return. Put Plasma in dedicated units like a Vet squad or the CCS.
2-Missile Launchers. If you like 'em go with them. They're not a bad gun and with twin linking orders they're pretty nasty but Autocannons just seem to do better (and for cheaper)
3-If you're going to Blob stuff don't blob stuff in more than 20's. Sometimes having 40 blokes shoot at one target is too much and thats alot of wasted shots. You're also in risk of getting a huge chunk of your gunline locked into a combat you'll never win.
4- Mortars are good, fluffy. for only 15pts more though you're getting a Griffon.

HEAVY:
Change the Basilisk for soomething else. They're just not that effective and the Minimum range is a killer. Taking multiples of the vehicles such as the colossus means that it's less of a blow when one dies.
Colossus. Good. Solid Tank.

Medusa& Griffon. It's been a while since i looked at the arty section but i didn't think Medusas went into squadrons? It's an odd combo anyway and if you're hoping to fire those BB shells as arty in conjunction with the Griffon it wont work as the BB shells become direct fire weapons. The Medusas str10 and ordinance weapon can easily pop vehicles anyway.

A good run up for Artilary that covers all bases is 2x Medusas and a squadron of 2 Griffons. It gives you Hoard killing and tank killing.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
TROOPS:2-Missile Launchers. If you like 'em go with them. They're not a bad gun and with twin linking orders they're pretty nasty but Autocannons just seem to do better (and for cheaper)
Autocannons have a slight advantage over Lascannons up to AV12. Lascannons do better above that, but really aren't good enough to be worth the extra points cost.

According to my tests, Missile Launchers are about 30% less effective than both Autocannons and Lascannons at killing light armor. So I put mine back on the shelf.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Dont make the sentinels 1 squad. Make them seperte, more manouverability

But equally, I dont know how that works in new rules towards kill points so maybe someone should clarify that before u do it

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
If you take them as a single squadron, then it's 1 KP. If you take them seperately, then it's 3 KP.

I'd be tempted to run armored sentinels seperately, but the scouts are easier to take down. So I always run them together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts