Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First attempt here at a Black Templars list.

1500 pts on the nose

Spec... Emp. Champ
w/ Suffer not the Unclean (the +Str/-Init one)

HQ... Marshall
w/ Iron Halo, Holy Orb, Bolt Pist, Pow. Fist, Term. Honors, Auspex

T... Crusader Squad made of 6 Init + 2 Neoph (all BP/CCW, no bolters)
w/ Pow. Fist, Melta
w/ Rhino w/ Pint. SBolter, Smoke, Ex. Armor

T.... Crusader Squad made of 8 Init + 5 Neoph (all BP/CCW, no bolters)
w/ P. Weap (axe for aethetic reasons), Melta

FA... Assault Squad x7
w/ Meltabombs, 2x Plas Pist, 1x P. Weap (sword for aesthetic reasons), 1x No pistol/Add stormshield

FA... ALLY G.K. Teleport Squad (1x justicar, 5x Grey Knights)
w/ Incinerator

HS... Land Raider Crusader w/ Blessed Hull, Pintle Storm Bolter

E... Sword Brethren x6 w/ Infil
4x BP/CCW (including the spec/hvy weapons), 2x Bolter
w/ Missile L, PlasGun

Champ goes with smaller Crusader Squad, Marshall with larger

Larger squads used LRC to transport it

GKs are deep striked

Assault Squad starts on table as an extra unit to draw fire, or deep strikes as needed

I went with the infiltraited Sword Brethren since I had a few points left, and I knew with the prime tactic here being rush the vehicles across the gap to deliver their payload I would need something else on the table (in case I choose to deep strike both my FA choices) to draw fire, or at least concern my opponent.
They are cheap, infiltraited they are hard to dig out, and they'll pack enough shooty firepower that they can't be ignored, are just cheap enough if they DO get killed it isn't a game breaker for me, and just tough enough they can't be dug out without a concentrated effort on my opponents part between the cover they'll start in, their armor, and their innate toughness.

Few questions...
1.) Everything is legal, right?

2.) P. Fist plus the Vow... does it not stack (p.fist overwrites vow), stack for a total S of 9 (p.fist then vow), or stack for a total S of 10 (vow then p.fist)?

3.) Do you think this tactic and list will work... between the ex. armor and smoke on the rhino, and the LRC's hull, combined with what firepower the Brethren can give and possibly the Assault squad jumping... will they deliver their payload? Obviously some tank heavy or anti-tank heavy armies will have a good time against this list, but in those cases I can always use the Rhino force as a wide flanker.

4.) Assault Squad... better deep striking with the GKs, or better starting on board to force my foe to spread his shots more?

5.) Should I lose a Grey Knight from that team to buff up my two crusader squads to the max their vehicles will carry? Basically should I lose 1 G.K., to gain 2 Neoph (1 to each time), and 5 spare points to upgrade say a P. Weapon to a P. Fist or the pint. storm bolter on the crusader to an HK missile?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think dropping the GK is a good idea. Fluffwise and esthetically it is a nice mix but I think that in the 1500 point realm you need to maximize your force slots. I believe that GK are more expensive per model but not sure. also I cant recall if the allies benefit from the champ's vow. so like you suggested, swap out the GK and give your PW a PF upgrade (making your PF hit at str9 with that vow). good luck

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think dropping the GK is a good idea. Fluffwise and esthetically it is a nice mix but I think that in the 1500 point realm you need to maximize your force slots. I believe that GK are more expensive per model but not sure. also I cant recall if the allies benefit from the champ's vow. so like you suggested, swap out the GK and give your PW a PF upgrade (making your PF hit at str9 with that vow). good luck
Thanks... I've been wanting to play with a vehicle delivered SM force for awhile, but with most my other SM armies it just isn't an efficient way to play.

With the capability of fielding a 15 man strong melee squad in a LRC, well with any other SM force I just didn't like the effect for the cost, but with the BT's, I really feel I can give it a try.

Of course getting the vehicles to make it across no-mans-land for a turn or two... I'm not worried about my Ork or Nid foes, but we have a few Chaos SM and a handful of Eldars that might give me trouble and... well... the Tau players. We got like 3 of em, and with them, I'm going to have to run a wide flank behind cover until my deepstrikers can get in their back ranks and disrupt their big guns.

Deciding to drop that GK squad down to only 5 strong is tough. On the one hand, that GK will do some damage when he's in play, and it's already a small squad (smallest in my army, and the next closest has jump packs to help it stay out of fights it doesn't want).

On the other hand, those 25 points would mean an extra Neoph to each Crusader squad (thus another Neoph to take a hit that might otherwise kill a Initiate), and would mean an upgrade of the Pintle Storm Bolter to a Hunter Killer Missile on the LRC, thus giving me some long range, anti vehicle kill power.

Right now I'm leaning towards keeping the GK, but honestly, as you pointed out that choice to keep him is costing me precious wounds on my melee squads, AND some desperatly needed long range anti-vehicle power (lets face it, it would be the only in my army save the sword brethren).

Decisions Decisions.

·
Registered
324 Posts
on a side note, neophytes...
in general I use them to either "round up" an odd numbered squad (benefits to stay a scoring unit) or massed crusader squads. If you are going for the crusader squad either 16-18-or 20 are the magic numbers. having smaller squads seem to not pack as much punch. That being said I havent tried 5initiates/5neophytes hopping out of a rhino. if you are running transports, the shotgun on the neophytes work nicely. cheers.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm okay with the list so far... I've tweaked it a little but not much, I really think at 1500 it will do what I want it to do.

I've dry run it a few times and it's pretty winable (although my last few dry runs were tough but I felt those were slanted since my opponents knew what I was trying to work on and based their armies specifically to counter it, unlike in a tournament where they'd need to be prepared for all-comers).

However my most obvious question is... who should I brace for having trouble with in Tournaments? This list is kind of an all comers list, and where I play Chaos, SMs, Tau, Necrons, Nids, and IG are all played by at least 2 players.

My initial concern was "The Tau will eat me for breakfast", but now looking at the list I think intelligent use of Terrain really negates everything they have till my deep strikers come in and take their lunch money. On the other hand, how will I fair against a Nid swarm, or an IG army? The nids have enough units and speed they might be able to out manuver and CC my manuvaerable CC army here, and the IG has most hte same benefits of the Tau but they're cheaper so my deep strikers won't be able to neutralize 1/2 their backfield like they could the superior in effect but inferior in squad and unit numbers Tau.

For now my main counter with the Nids has been to try and out manuver them (i'm usually a LITTLE faster) and keep my smalelr force fighting only part of theirs (usually succesfully), and with IG...

Well okay, I'll admit, with the IG I just used my Sword Brethren to engage their artillery, while I hid my vehicles for a turn till my first deep strike unit came in to give them somemore distratcionts (and I put my Assault Troops on the field on a wide flanking action to make him turn some of his firepower away from the vehicles, his other choice was wathc that assualt squad roll up his line)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts