Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is my first ever IG list. I know there are those who swear off all special weapons other than plasma guns, but I'm trying to work with what's in the box as well as keep it simple for my first IG army. Suggestions, comments are welcome. I'll mostly be playing in game stores with friends.

Cadian 8th - 1500 points

+++ HQ +++

Command Platoon

Doctrines: Iron Discipline

1 Junior Officer
Close combat Weapon; Laspistol
Honorifica Imperialis
3 Guardsmen
Grenade Launcher (x3)
1 Veteran Guardsman
Lasgun; Standard Bearer

+++ TROOPS +++

Infantry Platoon I

Command Squad - 4 Guardsmen
Grenade Launcher (x4)
1 Junior Officer

9 Infantry Squad
Lascannon; Grenade Launcher
1 Sergeant

9 Infantry Squad
1 Sergeant

9 Infantry Squad
1 Sergeant

Infantry Platoon II

Command Squad - 4 Guardsmen
Grenade Launcher (x4)
1 Junior Officer

9 Infantry Squad
1 Sergeant

9 Infantry Squad
1 Sergeant

9 Infantry Squad
1 Sergeant

+++ FAST ATTACK +++

1 Hellhound
Inferno Cannon; Hull Heavy Bolter
Extra Armour
Smoke Launchers

1 Hellhound
Inferno Cannon; Hull Heavy Bolter
Extra Armour
Smoke Launchers

+++ HEAVY SUPPORT +++

1 Leman Russ Battle Tank
Battle Cannon; Hull Heavy Bolter; Heavy Bolter Sponsons
Extra Armour

1 Leman Russ Battle Tank
Battle Cannon; Hull Heavy Bolter; Heavy Bolter Sponsons
Extra Armour

1 Basilisk (with Indirect Fire)
Earthshaker Cannon; Hull Heavy Bolter

Models in Army: 80

Total Army Cost: 1498

·
Registered
325 Posts
For a first list, its pretty good. It shows you have been reading these forums! ;)

A couple of minor suggestions..
1. Doctrines: You should take close order drill as a doctrine. While not always useful, its free and can prove invaluable against armies with no blast weapons. The extra initiative in CC you get might just make the difference between a squad dying, and a squad dying but taking down a couple of marines with them.

2.Cmd HQ. While your setup is strikingly similar to the way I set up my own cmd squads (the 3 grenade launcher squad of doom!), seeing as you have given your JO an honorifica, you should probably take advantage of his better stats by giving him a power weapon. That way if he reaches combat, he at least should kill a couple of the enemy.

3. Inf HQ. While having 4 grenade launcher guys is fine, you could probably afford to make one of these guys a plain old guardsman with LP and CCW (assuming you are using these squads as mobile/shooty/counter assault squads). That way you dont lose any points for your first casualty and yet it still performs its role well. The squad is marginally less likely to draw fire if its not maxed out with special weapons as well.

4. Sargeants. Arming them with a lasgun rather than a LP and CCW is probably the better choice. Sure its only 6 shots difference in your list.. but these squads want to stand still and shoot as long as possible. The extra hit you lose would have been made up for (and then some) by the extra shots you missed out on firing.

5. Special weapons: Nothing wrong with the humble grenade launcher. I still think its a fantastic weapon and like you, usually kit my cmd squads with 2-3 of them myself. Vet guardsmen with stormbolters can be just as fun! If you feel up to it, all those unused flame thrower arms and pintle mounted stormbolters will make mean looking stormbolter totin vets of fun.

6.Tanks: Nothing to say, its all good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.