Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Set Sail and Conquer!
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one list that I'm thinking of building. I'm not sure wether to go balanced like this one, or full on infantry/conscripts, but yeah:

Here's the more balanced list.

And If anyone can thing of any advice, let me know!!

My aim: To make a list that should be fairly strong vs all comers, yet not so strong that it will scare anyone too much. Basically, something for tournaments AND friendly games.

Ultramar Imperial Guard 1500

HQ:
Command Squad

Standard Bearer, 3 Plasmaguns
Creed
Chimera Transport (ML, HF)

Elite:
Psyker Battle Squad

5 Additional Psykers

Troops:
Veteran Squad

3 Meltaguns, Powersword
Demolitions

Troops:
Penal Legion Squad

Troops:
Infantry Platoon

Platoon Command
3 Grenade Launchers

Infantry Squad
Autocannon, Meltagun
Commissar

Infantry Squad
Autocannon, Meltagun

Infantry Squad
Autocannon, Flamer
Commissar, Powersword

Infantry Squad
Autocannon, Flamer

Fast Attack:
Hellhound Squadron

1 Hellhound

Fast Attack:
Scout Sentinel Squadron

3 Sentinels
Missile Launchers

Heavy Support:
Leman Russ Squadron

Leman Russ Battle Tank
Heavy Bolter
Plasma Cannon Sponsons

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
Not sure why Creed is in there, you don't have much worth ordering around really :p

Power sword doesn't seem too worth it, you don't want to be in combat.

Commissars are too expensive for too little benefit, getting held up in assault is very bad for you.

A Melta at BS3 is meh.

A squadron of Av10, open-topped vehicles is always a good idea :p

Drop Creed, pick up another Vet unit, and deck your infantry with a mix of las and auto cannons. Should be competitive, but not too mean.

·
Set Sail and Conquer!
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for the reply mate! :)

Not sure why Creed is in there, you don't have much worth ordering around really :p
Creed gives me a couple of things: Any one unit can outflank, any unit that needs to can have furious charge, and his boon of orders means those BS 3 meltas are often twin linked when needed.

Although, in all honesty, you're probably right. And if I take him out, I can take another penal legion squad - I think they might work best in numbers.

Power sword doesn't seem too worth it, you don't want to be in combat.
Actually, combat aint always avoidable, so I might as well do some damage when I'm there. And against Tau and sisters of battle, these things are actually quite good!

But the real reason I included that thing? Had a spare 10 points, didn't know where else to put it! Plus I've got the two death korps commissars! Gotta use 'em sometime! :)

Commissars are too expensive for too little benefit, getting held up in assault is very bad for you.
Not if I choose the assaults that are going on! I might actually deliberately make the charge from time to time!

I'm trying something new with this army - my skitarii is very into the whole rapid results in combat, this one is going to try and swamp opponents... Might not be a good idea, but could be fun!

Although, you're probably right in general - I might try something different with my other, conscript horde list that I'm planning... I've got so many guardsmen I don't know what to do with them!

A Melta at BS3 is meh.
True, but I'm using it as a drop podding dreadnought deterrent, and the like. And combined with 'bring it down' it's not that bad.

A squadron of Av10, open-topped vehicles is always a good idea :p
Hell yeah they are! I'll be using them in conjuction with all the other outflanking units. A vet squad, penal legion squad, and 3 sentinels rocking up together should help mess up my opponents plans. Hmm. Maybe I should take an astropath...

Drop Creed, pick up another Vet unit, and deck your infantry with a mix of las and auto cannons. Should be competitive, but not too mean.
Wait a minute - BS 3 meltas are no good but lascannons are ok? Maybe...

I'll post an altered list later - you've given me some food for thought. :)

·
Set Sail and Conquer!
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Alright - New and improved army list:

HQ:
Command Squad

3 Plasmaguns, Standard bearer

Elite:
Psyker Battle Squad

5 Additional Psykers

Troops:
Veteran Squad

3 Meltaguns, Powersword
Demolitions

Troops:
Veteran Squad

3 Meltaguns, Powersword
Demolitions

Troops:
Infantry Platoon:

Platoon Command
4 Grenade Launchers

Infantry Squad
Autocannon, Meltagun
Commissar

Infantry Squad
Autocannon, Meltagun

Infantry Squad
Autocannon, Flamer
Commissar, Powersword

Infantry Squad

Autocannon, Flamer

Fast Attack:
Hellhound Squadron

1 Hellhound

Fast Atack:
Scout Sentinel Squadron

3 Sentinels
Missile launchers

Heavy Support:
Leman Russ Squadron

Leman Russ Battle Tank
Heavy Bolter, Plasma Cannons

Whatja think?

It's straying a little from the theme though, I think - but that doesn't matter here, as I haven't explained the theme anyway!

Does it look ok as an army list?

I'm thinking I might have a little trouble grabbing objectives though... Maybe I should drop the heavy weapons in the infantry squads, and take another infantry squad to flesh it out - charge accross no mans land behind the 2 vet squads with the command squad in tow... Maybe. Against some opponents.

Edit: doing a re-count, I think I might be 20 points over too...

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
Creed gives me a couple of things: Any one unit can outflank, any unit that needs to can have furious charge, and his boon of orders means those BS 3 meltas are often twin linked when needed.

Although, in all honesty, you're probably right. And if I take him out, I can take another penal legion squad - I think they might work best in numbers.
Creed does have his benefits, but with his price tag he usually fits in better in larger games. I find him best in an infantry heavy list that can benefit from all his orders and so his price can be absorbed by the cheapness of our infantry.

Actually, combat aint always avoidable, so I might as well do some damage when I'm there. And against Tau and sisters of battle, these things are actually quite good!
Yep, sometimes stuff happens, but when it does that's why I keep ==My== command units as cheap as possible :p Even charging, that's .67 marine kills or 1 SoB/Tau down. I'd prefer to be shooting. If you really want to get stuck in, pay 5 more points for a powerfist ;)

But the real reason I included that thing? Had a spare 10 points, didn't know where else to put it! Plus I've got the two death korps commissars! Gotta use 'em sometime! :)
Spare points is spare points, gotta burn 'em somehow. DKoK models look solid, but you can always just count them as fancy CCW. I love Commissar models but they don't fit ==My== army, so I'm using them to count as Overseers in ==My== PBS.

Not if I choose the assaults that are going on! I might actually deliberately make the charge from time to time!

I'm trying something new with this army - my skitarii is very into the whole rapid results in combat, this one is going to try and swamp opponents... Might not be a good idea, but could be fun!

Although, you're probably right in general - I might try something different with my other, conscript horde list that I'm planning... I've got so many guardsmen I don't know what to do with them!
Even if you do charge with FC, all you'll do is annoy even average units. That's maybe 2 marines down, and the guardsmen get ground down (even quicker thanks to No Retreat!). It could work if you pick up larger units and have a Commissar to keep them stuck in.

True, but I'm using it as a drop podding dreadnought deterrent, and the like. And combined with 'bring it down' it's not that bad.
BS4 meltaVets are better for not much more.

Hell yeah they are! I'll be using them in conjuction with all the other outflanking units. A vet squad, penal legion squad, and 3 sentinels rocking up together should help mess up my opponents plans. Hmm. Maybe I should take an astropath...
Until bolters start going their way :p Sentinels are fun, but really fragile.

Wait a minute - BS 3 meltas are no good but lascannons are ok? Maybe...
Lascannons en masse at BS3 work, sorta. Lascannons aren't great at popping AV14 any more, but they can threaten them enough to make them play a bit more carefully. Meltas need to do the actual work, so you want them as accurate as possible.

I'll post an altered list later - you've given me some food for thought. :)
New list...

Based on what you want out of it, it looks fine. The only thing I would try and do is give your PBS a Chimera, otherwise they are a massive target. Dropping Demolitions could do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts