Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is the list i ended up using during leave, it did quite good, goign about 12-2-1; posting it to get general opinions and maybe a couple little tweaks to improve it.

i don't have my armybook on me right now, i lent it to my friend since he's considering on starting guard and is reading up on them, but i remember what's in my army, just not the exact points for each thing, it doesn't quite reach 1500 though

hq
junior officer- honorifica, standard bearer, mortar
anti-tank support squad- 3 missile launchers, sharpshooters

elites
6 ratling snipers

troops
junior officer- mortar
infantry squad- lascannon, plasma gun
junior officer- mortar

fast attack
hellhound-extra armor

heavy support
leman russ- 3 heavy bolters
basilisk- indirect fire

although if you play guard, you probably have most of the point values memorized as i did back before i took this break, and everything is rather simply gear wise so it shouldn't be too odd on figuring out point costs

general a stand-back and shoot army, if i have to move and take objectives i generally only move maybe 2 infantry squads at more, maybe my 2 infantry command squads, and of course my tanks to take any objectives, while the rest all lay down covering fire.

·
Registered
388 Posts
hq
junior officer- honorifica, standard bearer, mortar
I would get iron discipline for my officers, Do you roll that many ones?
Maybe change one out to either autocannons or hvy bolters

elites
6 ratling snipers
I rather have 6 veterans with 3 melta that can DS to take out that whirlind or orc baslisk

troops
junior officer- mortar
junior officer- mortar
iron discipline again

fast attack
hellhound-extra armor
maybe smoke

heavy support
basilisk- indirect fire
good

I would also grab close order drill it is free and it helps. A good straight forward list.
bonekrusher

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
running down on those comments, thx for the input.

as for iron discipline, the honorifica and standard bearer usually keep my guys in place. and with their usual placement on the field of staying somewhere not so far off from the deployment zone if i even move them, they can sometimes be within fallback distance of the tableedge, but then again, most other times, they don't have the initiative value to even run away without getting cut down. so i'd rather just keep them tied into combat while i move free units away for a turn.

as for the missiles, i like the str for against vehicles and the ap against marines, and i do on occasion roll 1's when i need hits and that sharpshooters can help sometimes a little bit.

the snipers are there for some extra firepower against MCs, like those eldar wraithlords.
at first i had been thinking about going with vets, as they would otherwise be the only other elite choice i would take if any, but then i had to count on the random mission we got assigned allowing deep striking, my guys landing on the board where they need to be to be able shoot that same turn, and then they're usually dead the next turn.

on the rare occasion i do alter my list, i end up taking out those snipers and giving my three officers iron discipline to take up extra points, and give my 5 infantry squads sharpshooters as well, which can help those lasguns and lascthem, which often times annons a little bit, especially when the enemy gets themselves into rapid fire range.

for the hellhound, the reason i don't bother with smoke is because with that 12" range and being able to make a 6" move beforehand if necessary to still be able to fire, that tank is always off firing by turn one and i'd rather fire than smoke.

oh and i forgot to lists doctrines, but yeah close order drill is always included in there for it's free usefulness.i tend to make good use of it.

lastly, i know some are cheap point upgrades like ID and smoke, that i probably would include otherwise as a just-in-case thing, but i don't have the points to spare presently (unless i did that sniper swamp out i mentioned) so i'd have to change something

·
durus
2,578 Posts
Looks like a pretty decent list.

My only comment would be that if you are going to have HW squads in your HQ, for 15 points more I would have Lascannons, and then move the MLs to your troops, where they are 5 points each less.

Cheers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts