Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HQ Selection I: 296
Brother Captain ; meltabombs; targeter
Grey Knight Terminators x 4
Psycannon x 1

Elites Selection I: 96
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor; terminator armor; Incinerator; Power Weapon; Emperor's Tarot; meltabombs; targeter

Elites Selection II: 110
Vindicare Temple Assasin

Troop Selection I: 165
Inquisitorial Storm Troopers x 9
Meltagun x 2
Dedicated Transport: Rhino; extra armor

Troop Selection II: 175
Inquisitorial Storm Troopers x 10
Meltagun x 2

Troop Selection III: 175
Inquisitorial Storm Troopers x 9
Meltagun x 2

Fast Attack Selection I: 231
Justicar; meltabombs; targeter
Gray Knights x 7
Psycannon x 1

Heavy Support Selection I: 251
Justicar; targeter
Gray Knights x 4
Psycannon x 4

This will be my first Warhammer 40k army, I have read the rulebook and watched a couple games, but I'm far from an expert. Does this army list seem reasonable? Please comment with ways to improve this list. Its for friendly games, but my friends are all way more experienced and I'd like to be competitive.

Here's why I did what I did:

HQ: The gray knight hero seemed too expensive, considering the brother captian is already pretty good. gave them meltabombs in case of of tanks harrassing them.

Elites: I took the assasin because I think hed be cool to play with, not really expecting him to be "great" for the points, just interesting. I took the inquisitor because you need one to field an assasin, and because he can beef up one of my troop squads by joining them.

Troops: They're mainly for anti vehicle duty, the gray knights are awesome, but don't seem to have much by the way of armor penetration. One of the squads has 9 guys instead of 10 so that the inquisitor can ride in their rhino with them.

Fast Attack: Gray knights, I can teleport them in as deep strike or just deploy them really late to keep my opponent off balance, seems like this is a good use for them.

Heavy support: In all the games I watched dreadnaughts all get blown up in the first turn, I thought this psycannon squad might do a bit more damage before going down due to the gray knight shrouding effect. This is the biggest question I have on this army, is a purgation squad worth it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not bad...

My comments are in red
elemental000 said:
Here's why I did what I did:

HQ: The gray knight hero seemed too expensive, considering the brother captian is already pretty good. gave them meltabombs in case of of tanks harrassing them. Cant give termies meltabombs. check your codex. good otherwise:sleep:

Elites: I took the assasin because I think hed be cool to play with, not really expecting him to be "great" for the points, just interesting. I took the inquisitor because you need one to field an assasin, and because he can beef up one of my troop squads by joining them.use the vindicare to take out models that will destroy you singlehandedly(power-fisted assault marine) use the Callidus or eversor otherwise. the incinerator for the inquisitor isn't the best choice but it could work.:ninja:

Troops: They're mainly for anti vehicle duty, the gray knights are awesome, but don't seem to have much by the way of armor penetration. One of the squads has 9 guys instead of 10 so that the inquisitor can ride in their rhino with them.give these guys Teleport homers so your Grey knights(GK) don't have to scatter;)

Fast Attack: Gray knights, I can Teleport them in as deep strike or just deploy them really late to keep my opponent off balance, seems like this is a good use for them.pretty much hit the nail on the head with this one:yes:

Heavy support: In all the games I watched dreadnaughts all get blown up in the first turn, I thought this psycannon squad might do a bit more damage before going down due to the gray knight shrouding effect. This is the biggest question I have on this army, is a purgation squad worth it?i don't have any experience with this but its not going to be able to take out AV13 or 14, thats what a dread is for. it might work better against troop heavy armies tho:shifty:
not a bad list, some improvements but meh...then again I'm not the most qualifed general myself

·
Registered
294 Posts
good list, i like the melta squads.

take a tp.

you might consider giving a termi in the ret the free th/ss upgrade to deal with nasties.
vindicare sux - not relieable enough and it takes forever to kill anything. best use is shooting heavy weapons guys or outting a wound on chars for the victory points. still, he sux, really - ive tried to make him work because the IDEA is so cool, but it doesnt. eversor is my favorite. cheep, fast, and nasty enough in cc to put the hurt on lots of things. i like to throw him in to a hopeless cc the turn of, or the turn before, i ds in to tie up their shooters and help block los. callidus is undoubtedly the best though, absolutely evil and effective.
one more thing - a power weapon sucks on an inq (str 3 kills) better to drop the fancy crap and take a lightning claw. the targeter is pointless, and the melta bombs tont make much sense on an anti troop inq. keep in mind that you have a lot of points sunk in to a 2 wound human.

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
Welcome to the Daemonhunters! Kewliest army there be!
elemental000 said:
The gray knight hero seemed too expensive, considering the brother captian is already pretty good.
At 1500 pts, I think a GM is worth the points. He's got more wounds, more attacks, and a force weapon, too. Also, he's the right model for the psycannon you're getting, as his BS is the highest. There are many ways you can scrounge up points from this list to afford a GM, too. (read on)
elemental000 said:
I took the assasin because I think hed be cool to play with, not really expecting him to be "great" for the points, just interesting.
Good on you. That's all the reason you need. It is true that he's not as universally useful as either an Eversor or Callidus, but he can be a game-saver ... especially against opponents with a few singularly dangerous models you'd like to assassinate. Just don't use him thinking he himself is going to "earn his points back". He's a model to use in conjunction with everything else you have.
elemental000 said:
I took the inquisitor because you need one to field an assasin, and because he can beef up one of my troop squads by joining them.
As noted earlier, it's a waste of points to tool up a lone inquisitor for CC duty. He's only human, after all. Putting him with a unit of ISTs is a good one -- many of us do it -- as it beefs up the squad and, through wargear selection, makes the ISTs more flexible and/or more deadly. If you intend for him to go after armor only, then I'd give him a bolt pistol, cc weapon, and melta bombs. If you'd like him to be a bit more flexible, give him a psycannon (strong enough for MCs and light armor) and melta bombs (specifically for tough armor). In either case, a teleport homer can be useful to call down GK support when his unit is busting open a tank transport. Either build will save you at least a few points over your proposed one, too.
elemental000 said:
They're mainly for anti vehicle duty
I like your IST squads. However, they don't really need to be full size to perform their duties. 6 or 8 models will be enough. Not that full squads are bad, but you can salvage points from these three units without sacrificing much in the way of effectiveness.
One common IST build, one that I use myself and am learning to like as I get more experience with it, is a "shooty" IST squad with plasma guns instead of meltas. This squad should be as large as you can get it, and a chimera is the perfect transport for 'em. This is the IST squad that a lone elite inquisitor should go in, and he should have a psycannon -- maybe a bolter if you're really short on points -- and nothing else.
elemental000 said:
Fast Attack: Gray knights
Not bad. If possible, you'll want to beef this squad all the way up to 10 models; they need to survive a round of shooting before they can assault, and you'll want as many models as you can get. And because you want to assault, I wouldn't take a psycannon. For the points of another GK entirely, you're sacrificing a STR 6 weapon and extra CC attack for some shooting that isn't so much better than the free storm bolter that it's worth the trade-off.
elemental000 said:
Heavy support: In all the games I watched dreadnaughts all get blown up in the first turn, I thought this psycannon squad might do a bit more damage before going down due to the gray knight shrouding effect. This is the biggest question I have on this army, is a purgation squad worth it?
No, I don't think a purgation squad is worth it. If you want a good shooty DH unit, than take a shooty IST squad with an inquisitor or an inquisitor with a retinue of gun servitors, sage(s), mystic. For anti-armor, you'd be better off taking two dreadnoughts. At 1500pts, I take a pair built with TLLC/ML, which cost only a little more than your purgation squad. They work well for me. Two dreads plus your three transport tanks makes a lot of targets for your opponent to prioritize. Whatever s/he shoots at, your other units will be able to do their job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts