Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to put together a balanced list that can deal with the popular mech movement as well as hordes, tell me what you think.

HQ

Hive Tyrant: Extended Carapace, Heavy Venom Cannon

Elites:

3x Zoanthropes

2x Hive Guard

2x Hive Guard

Troops:

8x Genestealers

8x Genestealers

10x Termagaunts

10x Termagaunts

Tervigon: Catalyst, Thorn Blast, Adrenal Glands

Heavy Support:

Carnifex: Heavy Barbed Strangler, Adrenal Glands

That's a total of 4 MCs, 1 unit to take out heavy vehicles, 3 for dealing with lighter ones, 3 large blast templates and (depending on my dice rolling) lots of gaunts. Not to mention 2 units of outflanking stealers. Personally, I'd like to fit a Trygon in there but I can't seem to find the space... Anyway, tell me what you think.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Although I agree that 20 gaunts seems like very little to start with, lets no forget that the Tervigon should spawn at least 10 more. In the practice game I had today, it spawned 14 before drying up, which isn't bad. What I'm considering though is switching out the Hive Tyrant for something else, or giving him a different loadout, as he didn't do much and was quickly mauled by a Daemon Prince.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'd take out the Extended Carapace from the Tyrant. It does help against Missile Launchers, but those really aren't that frequent. Instead, give him or the Tervigon Regeneration.
But other than that, the list looks good to me. However, what are your thoughts on the Carnifexes? I almost feel they could be replaced by Harpies with TL-HVCs in your list, while not really losing anything. And unless you really need the Zoans for Synapse, why not make them two in a Spore instead?
I haven't played the new Tyranids myself yet, but those are probably the only things I'd consider changing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good call on the Extended Carapace. I figure if my opponent wants the Tyrant dead, it's going down. On the subject of the Harpies, it's more about the modeling since I'm not great at conversions and having a good anti-infantry gun on a reliable anti-tank platform (Carnifex with adrenal glands has 5 S10 attacks on the charge).
I could get a pod for the zoeys, but I haven't tested them enough to know if 2 is reliable enough, especially if they're going to be dropped right in front of a tank that needs busting open. Alternatively, I could get a pod for the 3 zoeys from the points I get back from extended carapace.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So I've reworked the list a bit and after playing one game with it it works great. Here it is:

HQ

Hive Tyrant:Heavy Venom Cannon, Regenerate

Elites:

2x Zoanthropes with landing spore

2x Hive Guard

2x Hive Guard

Troops:

8x Genestealers

8x Genestealers

10x Termagaunts

10x Termagaunts

Tervigon: Catalyst, Thorn Blast, Adrenal Glands, Regenerate

Heavy Support:

However, I could not help but make a completely different list: a semi-deepstriking one. Only problem was getting the +1 to reserves without a Tyrant as I have no other MC and my elite slots are taken. I figure since he`s babysitting the Hive Guard they don`t need LOS anyways so he can hide.

HQ:

Hive Tyrant: Tactical Insight

Alpha Warrior: Dual Boneswords

Elites:

2x Zoanthropes with landing spore with thorn blast

2x Hive Guard

2x Hive Guard

Troops:

4x Warriors (the Alpha Warrior goes with these guys): Dual Boneswords and 1 Venom Cannon in a landing spore with thorn blast

20x Termagaunts in a landing spore

20x Termagaunts in a landing spore

8x Genestealers

8x Genestealers

Fast Attack:

20x Gargoyles

Alternatively, I could remove the Tyrant, take another squad of 4 Warriors with Venom Cannon and Boneswords and have them as the Synapse unit that starts on the board. The only problem is no +1 to reserves...any suggestions?
So which one of these lists seems best?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'd take regenerate off the Tyrant, he always seems to die on a single turn when the enemy decides to focus on him.

Both lists llok good to me apart from that small nitpick!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wouldn't the Swarmlord attract even more attention? A very expensive MC that walks and has no long-range shooting attack would surely be an obvious target. His 4+ invulnerable is only applicable in CC so with his normal 3+ he's just a Tyrant with 1 more wound.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts