1 Justicar w/Frag Grenades
8 GKs w/2 Incinerators 271 Points

Heavy Support (236 Points)
GK Dreadnought w/Assault Cannon,
DCCW, Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers 118 Points

Total 1500 Points

This is a smaller version of the 1850point army list I posted a few weeks back. I don't have the dreadnoughts yet because I'm still deciding whether the assault cannons are as good against armour as people say they are. I know TLLC has much better range, but peole say its chances of actually making glancing and penetrating hits are much lower. Its either the assault cannons or TLLCs, please tell me what you guys think is better with your experience.

PS: In theory, can a LRC be effective as anti-tank to a certain extent with its multi-melta and TL Assault Cannon?

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
Pazich said:
HQ (270 Points)
Brother Captain w/Teleport Homer
4 GK Terminators w/Incinerator 270 Points
Just so you are aware that the TP homer might go unused. Certainly possible that your reserves rolls for this unit puts them in at the same time or behind the rest of your teleporting units, in which case it's points wasted.

I don't think incinerators are much use on terminators. My favorite special weapon is the psycannon, especially true for terminators. Consider dropping both the TP homer and incinerator and getting a psycannon for the BC.

Pazich said:
Troops (452 Points)
5 GKs w/2 Pyscannons 226 Points

5 GKs w/2 Pyscannons 226 Points
Hmmm. Your units are very small and kitted out like mini-purgation squads. They're not nearly as suited for assault as they would be without the psycannons, so why the frag grenades?

I personally never give psycannons to my PAGKs because I hate losing the NFW/True Grit combo, not to mention the extra PAGKs you could have for the cost of the psycannons themselves. However, to be fair, some people seem to have good luck with them, but the impression I get is that they let them sit in cover and shoot; they don't really intend for them to march up and assault.

Pazich said:
Fast Attack (542 Points)

These are nice. Again, I'm not too fond of incinerators, but at least this is the place for 'em. Two per squad seems excessive, though. Drop one from each and see if you can free just a few more points, and you could max out these squads, which would be ideal.

Pazich said:
Heavy Support (236 Points)

Excellent. I like having at least one dread equipped specifically for long range (TLLC/ML), but these can work well, especially since you are light on ground/assaulting troops on the board at game start.

Pazich said:
I don't have the dreadnoughts yet because I'm still deciding whether the assault cannons are as good against armour as people say they are. I know TLLC has much better range, but peole say its chances of actually making glancing and penetrating hits are much lower. Its either the assault cannons or TLLCs, please tell me what you guys think is better with your experience.
If I have points for just one dreadnought, I always take one with TLLC/ML. But my list also has far more ground troops than yours does. I find the TLLC/ML works great, and I play lots of guard, mech space marines, and tau. Also works wonders on tyranid monstrous creatures who have to footslog it to you. ;-)

You don't have to glue on the arms to your dreadnoughts, you know. Some people get l'il magnets, but friction will keep them on just fine for the duration of a game. The model kit contains both sets of arms. Just build 'em both and use what you need depending on your opponent.

Pazich said:
PS: In theory, can a LRC be effective as anti-tank to a certain extent with its multi-melta and TL Assault Cannon?
Absolutely. I think the LRC is a better fit for us Daemonhunters anyway. It can pop tanks and clear troops with equal ease. Imagine getting one and loading a small squad of GKs in with incinerators (here's a good use for those things!), drive it up the field, unload the assault cannon and hurricane bolters along the way, then disembark and assault. Ouch! And, limited range aside, the assault cannon/multi-melta on the LRC is better at popping armor than the LRs dual TLLCs.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
I think number6 had it pretty well right on, I will only add:

For your troops, I do like one smaller squad with two Psycannons that sits back and adds fire support, although I add an Inquisitor with a Psycannon as well for extra punch. When my other troop choice is a PAGK squad, I don't add any upgrades, I just make them as large as possible (10), so that they are effective at shooting (20 Storm Bolter shots) as well as CC.

I also agree with making one of Dreads a TLLC and ML variant. ACs are better at AV14, same at AV13 (or close) and then not as good at lower levels. There was a mathimatical post a while back that someonne did, and was quite good.

Cheers!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thx for the comments number6 and Diggums

For the teleport homer, I think I'm going to leave it depending on how it serves me on a game I'm playing soon. Depending on how well it serves me, I'll probably get rid of it and give a termie a psycannon once I head down to the local store.

I wont be adding an inquistor cause I really want a pure grey knight army.

I'm planning to use my troop squads as shooting like you guys said. If I make my troop choice with the one small squad and a full man squad, should I just reorganize the points I used for my two PAGK squads?

I'm also going to see how the incinerators fair me and if they arent that great, what should I spend the points on?

The dreadnoughts I'm definately gonna send up either with the troop squads or in place of em. I don't plan on having two different sets of arms like the GW box set cause I'm gonna order my dreadnoughts from Forge World (love the look of em). Considering how expensive they are, I'm gonna need one set of arms or the other. So the looks of it right now would be one assault cannon and one ML and TLLC.

I'll test out the currents list i have and then depending on what goes wrong (I'll probably lose of course), then I'll make what adjustments I can.

·
Registered
116 Posts
TLLC/ML vs AC

The % is the chance that the shot(s) will actually destroy the model, it does not consider any other outcome (stun, immobilising, etc...)

AV 14:
TLLC + ML combo: 11.46%
AC: 16.6%

AV13:

TLLC + ML combo: 23.12%
AC: 18.3%

AV12

TLLC + ML combo: 38.26%
AC: 20.7%

AV 11

TLLC + ML combo: 41.15%
AC: 27.68%

AV10

TLLC + ML combo: 53.75%
AC + SB: 49.27%

As you can see from the results, for av 14, 13 and 10 its pretty much the same for assault cannons the BIG difference is av 12 and to a lesser extent av 11, the TLLC/ML combo has a big edge.

Things to remember is the TLLC/ML dread costs 30 points, so in this case you would need to find like 90 extra points, thats basicly another dread in points you need to clear, big edge for the AC combo there.

Also the AC dread has a str 10 close combat weapon it can use to rip armor to shreds cant really quantify that easily but its there.

Bottom line, for your list i would most definatly go with the assault cannon dreads

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
Pazich said:
I'm planning to use my troop squads as shooting like you guys said. If I make my troop choice with the one small squad and a full man squad, should I just reorganize the points I used for my two PAGK squads?
Yes. Replace the psycannons for PAGKs 1-for-1 in the full squad. You'll be a couple models short of 10, but 8 ain't bad. If you're willing to sacrifice some incinerators (and possibly the TP homer), you could fill the squad up.
Pazich said:
I'm also going to see how the incinerators fair me and if they arent that great, what should I spend the points on?
The best troops money (and points) can buy: more Grey Knights!
Pazich said:
The dreadnoughts I'm definately gonna send up either with the troop squads or in place of em. I don't plan on having two different sets of arms like the GW box set cause I'm gonna order my dreadnoughts from Forge World (love the look of em). Considering how expensive they are, I'm gonna need one set of arms or the other. So the looks of it right now would be one assault cannon and one ML and TLLC.
There's a certain symmetry to having a set GKs and a Dreadnought that shoot from afar, and another set of GKs and another Dreadnought that march up and kick butt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts