Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Toy Soldier Aficionado
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was goofing off with a budy the other day and we had this idea for a kinda of "Grot" wall except with guard. I got to thinking about it and it could actualy make a pretty good and playable list. Please tell me what you think.

Doctrines:
Independent Commissars
Storm Troopers
Iron Discipline
Close Order Drill

HQ-305
Heroic Senior Officer
-Anti-Tank Support Squad (x3 lascannons)
-Fire Support Squad (x3 heavy bolters)

Commissar
-Iron Discipline

Elite-129
Storm Troopers
-Melta
-Grenade Launcher
-Infiltrate

Troops-612
1st Platoon
-Junior Officer
-2 Squads
-Grenade Launcher

2nd Platoon
-Junior Officer
-2 Squads
-Grenade Launcher

Conscript Platoon
-5 squads
-Grenade Launcher

Fast Attack-118
Hellhound
-Smokes

Heavy-336
Leman Russ
-Heavy Bolter
-Bolter Sponsons
-Smoke
-Extra Armor

Demolisher
-Heavy Bolter
-Bolter Sponsons
-Smoke
-Extra Armor

1500 Points

The Commissar will go with the Conscripts due to there low Leadership. The Conscripts will be taking the brunt of the attack until they are KIA. While the conscripts are tying up the infantry or AT infantry, the demolisher, russ, and hellhound, will be taking out the tanks and some of the more nastier items in the opposing players army.

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
you only have 4 doctrines listed currently so it's not a problem, but fielding conscript platoons would cost you that FiF doctrine slot. also, iron discipline is only applicable to officers and not commissars.

i'd probably tool up your command squads a little more (a mortar, discipline, and also a standard for your hq). also, fill out the rest of the weapon options for your infantry squads (special/heavy weapons for each squad). and if possible, extra armor on the hellhound as well.

for infiltrating purposes, hardened veteran squads tend to fare better (more weapon options too), it would also free up a doctrine point with which you could probably use for sharpshooters on your support hw squads.

tactic-wise for the conscripts, i'd advise using them to hold a flank or such, if you spread them out in front of your gunline, once they get charged and put into melee combat, they block line of sight. also, make sure they have a model within 12" of that command hq with the standard bearer so they can re-roll the commissars morale checks if need be, making them twice as steadfast.

·
Mr Commisar to you
2,885 Posts
Scary, this list looks pretty much like the list I wrote for my Solentians. What you might consider is using hevay weapons platoons in support rather than tanks.
I also have some rough riders in the list to start or finish combats.
The rough riders and heavy weapons platoon woudl eat up a couple of doctrines though.
As said the commander needs iron discipline at the very least. (which tbh coudl just be transfered over form the commisar as he cant take it!)

Smokes on tanks that arent transports aren't needed. When are you going to be moving it and not firing? these tnaks should be firing all of the time. use these points to get extra armour on the hellhound.

Hope that helps

A

·
2,399 Posts
Smokes on tanks that arent transports aren't needed. When are you going to be moving it and not firing?
A
Nonsense - pure poppycock.
If you're "stunned" and can't fire hit the smoke. It's not like there's something with anti-tank capability shooting at you is there? Oh wait. you have been shot. For what ... 2% cost? death rate 1/3 to 1/6 ?
P.s. i used to strip all the extras off my tanks, until playtesting repeatedly proved that a bad idea.
p.p.s. Extra Aurmour on the H/H is a good idea - exactly as Commisarlestat says. I'd also chuck it onto the Demolisher. (With their range you don't want to be giving automatic hits in hand to hand do you?

·
Mr Commisar to you
2,885 Posts
A fair point if he could be stunned. But he has extra armour so smokes are pretty much useless (look up the rules on extra armour) meaning giving extra armour to the other tank would be the best idea.

Ive just realised the huge lack of anti tank in this list. If someone takes out those lascannons you are relying on a single melta!
Find some points to give the commands plasma as a backup, still fits the theme.

Hope that helps

A

·
2,399 Posts
A fair point if he could be stunned. But he has extra armour so smokes are pretty much useless (look up the rules on extra armour) meaning giving extra armour to the other tank would be the best idea.
what the smokes do is change the damage roll from penetrating to glancing.
On penetrating damage result there is a 3/6 chance of your losing the tank,
On glancing 1/6.
Extra armour just means you can move after being stunned (or downgrades stunned to shaken results) - on one of those results where you aren't destroyed - nothing more (Looked up Extra Armor and absolutely certain)

P.s. For the record totally endorse Extra armour on h/hound

·
Monkey Pirate
452 Posts
Heh heh I've done this before. It really pisses people off. You get one of those hey where are your heavy weapons things. If you have the models I would almost consider taking a second conscript platoon and commisar... just to really drive them over the edge. I stay away from grenade launchers on my conscripts favoring flammers so I don't have to roll to hit. (always a perk)

Also DON"T DROP SMOKE LAUNCHERS. Extra armor and smoke launchers are the two things you should never leave home with out. Extra armor keeps you moving, smoke keeps you alive.

·
Toy Soldier Aficionado
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha, I tried this army against someone at my local hobby shop, and he looked at me like I was nuts. I wiped him out bottom of turn 4.

·
Mr Commisar to you
2,885 Posts
The thing is I value Extra armour over smokes so I'd drop them in favour of the extra armour on the hellhound. Also if oyu can move then you should move the full 12" behind some terrain and cover the vehicle. If you are having toruble doing that then there isn't enough terrain on the field. Smokes are a luxury IMO especially when you already have the extra armour.

I'm not quite sure of the logic here though. I am assuming that you will retreat the dmaged vehicle rather than leave it in the open. If it is still gona be fired at you might as well not move it and scrap extra armour. Effectively its like setting up officers with iron discipline and then taking close order drill and vet sarges.

I dont know if it's me being minimalist but it seems a little overkill when one tank doesnt even have extra armour.

Hope that helps

A

PS, well done on the win! what army were they using?

·
2,399 Posts
I'm not quite sure of the logic here though. I am assuming that you will retreat the dmaged vehicle rather than leave it in the open. If it is still gona be fired at you might as well not move it and scrap extra armour. Effectively its like setting up officers with iron discipline and then taking close order drill and vet sarges.
Ah, there's why we're disagreeing - totally different tactics.
When stunned (with extra armour) i like to move my vehicles forwards and pop smoke - it''ll always be a glancing hit, they can provide cover from whatever is firing that nasty, nasty AT weapon and most importantly: Never forget to make your opponent make targeting priority tests. Tau broadside suits are not vehicles, and even LD10 (Devs with Captain, Necron floating chaps etc) have 1/12 chance of not passing.
I always like moving at least 1" unless i am absolutely certain no-one is within charge range(e.g. a russ sat at the back) - it stops the automatic H/H hits into 50% hits - really good for deterring grenades.
Otherwise your opponent's H/H units can stroll around the field "cow-pushing" you Lovely, lovely Armour.
I will admit it's not so important on a Russ, but a Hellhound has lower AV and will take more penetrating hits - 1/3 destruction so still needs them. I give them to Russes as it's what? 2% cost increase to increase your chances of survival threefold? (Penetrating to glancing)
In my book if you couldn't find the points i'd take the Extra off the russ and put it on the H/hound - It needs to be moving and may well get "tapped" very quickly.

·
Watcher In The Sky
1,083 Posts
It may have been said but I dont see it.

As it stands your Commissar appears to have Iron Discipline, which isnt allowed. It should be on your Officer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.