SB
Extra armour
Smoke launchers

Total models: 42
Total armour: 5
Total men: 37
Total points: [1498]

Q: Why Frag grenades?
A: I hate when power weapon or even force weapon armed GK's don't hit before they die.

Q: Why only assault cannons on Dreadnought and no hellfire setup?
A: Assault cannons devastate armour better then TLLC and ML (hellfire kit) and are better in supporting advances

Q: Do you think this army will have enough anti-tank?
A: GK's aren't good enough against ap14 armies, but good against the rest (AP13 and lower). Assault cannons and meltabombs and the lucky 2 meltaguns will do enough IMO. Even the NFW's.

Q: Why don't you go all GK and skip the =][= stormtroopers?
A: GK's aren't mobile enough, =][= stormtroopers are, that's why they are tooled with the teleport homer, psychological warfare and tactical (i don't have to deploy FAGK's with deepstrike)

Q: Do you need some good advice?
A: Yes, please ^^;

·
Registered
361 Posts
I think your grand master is a huge point sink in this size game. Why not go Brother Captain and a small termie retinue? Teleporting them in will give you more bang for your buck. Consider a psycannon or incinerator on one.

Stormtroopers - I like this set up

FAGK - fraqgts are, IMHO generally not worth it. I would size down to to seven and justicar and add a psycannon to each squad. With your HQ you will have nice firepower.

Dreads - well what else do DH have. They will do.

Possibilities to consioder ...
add an inquisitor with psycannon and callidus assassin.

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
You can't give grenades to models in terminator armour (obviously including your GM).

Speaking of which, I would try to find points to give your GM a retinue. (You could afford to reduce your FAGKs to 8 models if you have to.) Barring that, you should downgrade to a BC and get a retinue for him. Either way, you don't really have an appropriate place to put your lone GK Hero in this list, and teleporting him down solo would not be wise.

I like ISTs, and I like your setup with them. A chimera might be more handy with the group with the plasma guns, but it depends on what you intend to to with them. (A rhino being slightly more useful for quick transport into close combat.)

The only problem with using dread ACs for anti-armor is that the range is limited. You have to advance into position with it, possibly suffering fire from the armor that you'd otherwise like to destroy. The advantage of "hellfire" dreads is the very long range; you can start blasting your enemy on your very first turn. For me, against two regular opponents with very tank-heavy forces, my AC/DCCW dreads die before they can get in range. However, my TLLC/ML dreads nearly always take out some of that @#[email protected]#$ firepower before, or if (I've been very lucky on at least two occasions) they get destroyed. For me, it's a no brainer to use TLLC/ML dreads.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies.

bebe said:
I think your grand master is a huge point sink in this size game. Why not go Brother Captain and a small termie retinue? Teleporting them in will give you more bang for your buck. Consider a psycannon or incinerator on one.
BC's aren't worth taking them, cuz they are 1 wounded. Second, what if the GM walks with the Dreadnoughts? Another punch on 36", less close combat (I might remove the Icon of the just and ofcourse, frag grenades (forgotten)). A small termie retinue is good, but 3 Dreadnoughts as a figural "retinue" of the GM, is IMO better. The only downside is, I never can DS the GM at most situations, unless the =][= needs help and the Teleport homer is at table at the beginning of the turn.

bebe said:
FAGK - fraqgts are, IMHO generally not worth it. I would size down to to seven and justicar and add a psycannon to each squad. With your HQ you will have nice firepower.
One thing i know for sure is, every army needs a stable core. IMO, =][= aren't stable enough for a GK army and 8 marines (no less) makes me feel bad when I use them at DS or foot slogging through enemy fire. I never use psycannons at a PAGK or FAGK. They lose too much. Only psycannons at termies or Inquisitors.

bebe said:
Possibilities to consioder ...
add an inquisitor with psycannon and callidus assassin.
Ofcourse possible, but not very important IMO.

number6 said:
You can't give grenades to models in terminator armour (obviously including your GM).
Ofcourse, my fault.

number6 said:
Speaking of which, I would try to find points to give your GM a retinue. (You could afford to reduce your FAGKs to 8 models if you have to.) Barring that, you should downgrade to a BC and get a retinue for him. Either way, you don't really have an appropriate place to put your lone GK Hero in this list, and teleporting him down solo would not be wise.
Just like I stated above, the think I'll use the Dreadnoughts as his "retinue". In a 1500 pts battle, termies are an even bigger point sink. And GM's +'s are IMO invaluable to the GK's.
I never want to reduce the size of my FAGK's, at 10 each, they are scary.

number6 said:
I like ISTs, and I like your setup with them. A chimera might be more handy with the group with the plasma guns, but it depends on what you intend to to with them. (A rhino being slightly more useful for quick transport into close combat.)
I like IST's too, but i hate the chimera for some reason. The chimera is better, better as a mobile fire base, better armour etc. But I choose the Rhino over a Chimera.

number6 said:
The only problem with using dread ACs for anti-armor is that the range is limited. You have to advance into position with it, possibly suffering fire from the armor that you'd otherwise like to destroy. The advantage of "hellfire" dreads is the very long range; you can start blasting your enemy on your very first turn. For me, against two regular opponents with very tank-heavy forces, my AC/DCCW dreads die before they can get in range. However, my TLLC/ML dreads nearly always take out some of that @#[email protected]#$ firepower before, or if (I've been very lucky on at least two occasions) they get destroyed. For me, it's a no brainer to use TLLC/ML dreads.
I cracked my head on this many times. The "hellfire" setup for 1 of my 3 Dreadnoughts is on first sight better, when this army fights against heavy ap vehicles and high toughness creatures. But I dislike losing it's supporting capabilities and it's strenghts in ccb. So it's the one or the other.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My new altered list:

[HQ] Grand Master: [200]
Psycannon
Grimoir of true names
Master-crafted NFW

[Troops] =][= Stormtroopers I: (1 serg, 7 men) [178]
Teleport homer
Plasma gun 2x
Rhino with Extra armour and smoke launchers

[Troops] =][= Stormtroopers II: (1 serg, 7 men) [178]
Teleport homer
Melta gun 2x
Rhino with Extra armour and smoke launchers

[FA] FAGK I: (1 Justicar, 9 men) [280]
Meltabombs

[FA] FAGK II: (1 Justicar, 9 men) [280]
Meltabombs

[HS] GK Dreadnought I: [118]
Assault cannon
DCCW
SB
Extra armour
Smoke launchers

[HS] GK Dreadnought II: [118]
Assault cannon
DCCW
SB
Extra armour
Smoke launchers

[HS] GK Dreadnought III: [148]
TLLC
ML
Extra armour
Smoke launchers

Total models: 42
Total armour: 5
Total men: 37
Total points: [1500]

Q: Do you need some good advice?
A: Yes, please ^^;
[/QUOTE]

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
S_Q said:
One thing i know for sure is, every army needs a stable core. IMO, =][= aren't stable enough for a GK army and 8 marines (no less) makes me feel bad when I use them at DS or foot slogging through enemy fire. I never use psycannons at a PAGK or FAGK. They lose too much. Only psycannons at termies or Inquisitors.
I couldn't agree more. ;)

S_Q said:
Just like I stated above, the think I'll use the Dreadnoughts as his "retinue".
Huh. :O I'd be most interested to know how well this works.

S_Q said:
I cracked my head on this many times. The "hellfire" setup for 1 of my 3 Dreadnoughts is on first sight better, when this army fights against heavy ap vehicles and high toughness creatures. But I dislike losing it's supporting capabilities and it's strenghts in ccb. So it's the one or the other.
Aye, that's the rub exactly. One or the other. Either way you're giving up something useful. Since you have three dreads, I think turning at least one of them into a legitimate long-range threat can often be a good thing. As I indicated, I know that I need such a threat in my regular games....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I mean by using the Dreads as his "retinue", usually, if you are using them as an advancing line on board, they only hit the 24", in a line (unless u are deploying them independantly, far from each other, so they are sitting ducks.) The GM's psycannon could add another 3 shots at 36" from the same line. Not using them as an illegal retinue, but walking with them on the same line.

=][= troops are advancing to the frontline to deploy there teleport homers at strategic locations. Like behind some cover, so next turn there would be shooting and charge for the FAGK's. etc.

FAGK's are: footslogging to get as many SB's on board or Deepstriking at teleport homer locations

The dreads are supporting the FAGK's and the =][= if they lived that long. I thought about using the Dreads + GM as an advancing firesupport line, every turn gaining more ground by moving 6".

But all this, is still based on theory.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts