Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

First post, and I'm relatively new to IG. My main opponents so far have been other IG, and Tau, so haven't yet experienced an MEq.
The whole flavour of the army is to get in close, overwhelm any AT defences by numbers, and engage at short range. I do expect to get ambushed / infiltrated a lot.

My experience so far is IG vehicles are more reliable than the infantry. In addition, extra armour has been incredibly useful for 5pts : the effect of no move and no shoot, and just no shoot, has been amazingly useful so far.

Doctrines
Grenadiers, Stormtroopers, Ogryns, Iron Discipline.

Headquarters (238pts)
The HQ squad brings up the rear to deal with flankers, and other fast vehicles.
Heroic Officer, Iron Discipline, Power Sword, Bolt pistol, Surveyor
Four Guardsmen (3 x melta, 1 x Master vox with CCW and pistol)
Chimera (turret flamer, heavy bolter, pintle stubber, extra armour, smoke)

Troops (238pts)
Grenadier Squad 1
Vet sargeant (bolt pistol, power sword, surveyor)
9 Guardsmen (1 x vox caster, 1 x melta gun, 1 x flamer)
Chimera (turrent autocannon, heavy bolter, extra armour, rough terrain, smoke)

Troops (238pts)
Grenadier Squad 2

Elite(233pts)
Bonehead
4 Orgyns
Chimera (turrent heavy flamer, heavy bolter, extra armour, rough terrain, smoke)

Both demolishers are tasked with taking out enemy armour, T5 troops etc.
Heavy Support(200pts)
Demoliser 1 (sponson multi meltas, hull lascannon, extra armour)
Demoliser 2 (sponson multi meltas, hull lascannon, extra armour)

Fast Attack(130pts)
Hellhound (pintle storm bolter, extra armour)

Total :
2 Demolishers
4 Chimeras
1 Hellhound
But only 35 men (counting Ogryns as 2 men !)

The list is currently abt 1477, so there is some polishing to do, but advice much appreciated.

·
Dawn Under Heaven
2,971 Posts
dizzyjock said:
My experience so far is IG vehicles are more reliable than the infantry. In addition, extra armour has been incredibly useful for 5pts : the effect of no move and no shoot, and just no shoot, has been amazingly useful so far.
IMO Men > tanks.

Doctrines
Grenadiers, Stormtroopers, Ogryns, Iron Discipline.
I woupld drop the Ogryns. Horribly adept at getting munched by gunfire and assault troops.

Headquarters (238pts)
The HQ squad brings up the rear to deal with flankers, and other fast vehicles.
Heroic Officer, Iron Discipline, Power Sword, Bolt pistol, Surveyor
Four Guardsmen (3 x melta, 1 x Master vox with CCW and pistol)
Chimera (turret flamer, heavy bolter, pintle stubber, extra armour, smoke)
No, this squad should be kept back to lead your army. I would drop all of the melta guns and simply stick it behind a bush somewhere and let it give orders from there.

Also a triple Lascannon anti-tank support team seems to be a fairly popular choice for grenadier armies.

Troops (238pts)
Grenadier Squad 1
No, Flamers bad. The highlight of the Grenadiers is their BS4. Flamers waste this. Either take double metas or double plasmas. Preferably plasmas and then leave the anti tank hunting to your support teams.

Troops (238pts)
Grenadier Squad 2
Again, drop hte flamer.

Elite(233pts)
Bonehead
4 Orgyns
Chimera (turrent heavy flamer, heavy bolter, extra armour, rough terrain, smoke)
Drop the Ogryns. For that many points per ogryn you could buy a Grey knight who is much more useful. A 8 man suad with a psycannon or deepstrike or something cool is a very nasty prospect for your enemy and would replace this choice nicely.

Both demolishers are tasked with taking out enemy armour, T5 troops etc.
Heavy Support(200pts)
Demoliser 1 (sponson multi meltas, hull lascannon, extra armour)
Demoliser 2 (sponson multi meltas, hull lascannon, extra armour)
Are you sure you've got your points cost right there? No way can 2 demolishers cost only 200 points. I'd suggest you drop one anyway and replace it with a regular battltank. The range on the demolishers is quite an issue.

Fast Attack(130pts)
Hellhound (pintle storm bolter, extra armour)
Replace the storm bolter for a Heavy Stubber, the extra shot and range is worth more than the extra AP.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You didn't like it then ? :)

No, the advice is good. Mistake was made in the Hvy support : should be 200pts each, but the overall army cost is right (I think)

Thanks

·
durus
2,578 Posts
Triumph already went into a lot of accurate critique, so I won't duplicate what he said.

A couple of general comments:

Your army is in need of long range fire support, especially Lascannons. To do this, I would recommend:

HW Lascannon team like Triump said or,
Sentinals, especially if you like the armoured theme or,
Veterans with Lascannons and a Plasma gun or two.

It sounds like you are wanting to play an assaulting variety of Grenadiers. My recommendation is one Demolisher with triple heavy bolters to keep it cheaper, send this together with the Hellhound. When you move you can only shoot one of the bottom weapons anyway unless you have triple HBers. I would also have one regular Russ shooting away in the background.

If you keep your tanks cheaper, you can have more tanks!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A couple of days after the original post I found your article on grenadiers, which was really useful.
I've dropped the command squad chimera, and added a HW lascannon team instead, and a lascannon to the Command Squard, along with a couple of other tweaks. The flamers are also gone, replaced by multi meltas. I'll give the Ogryns a couple of trial games before deciding on their fate as well.

Thanks for the article, and thanks for the tips !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts