Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is actually a slimed down version of my 2500 point army, seeing as no one around where I live has more then 1500.

HQ:104

Commander: 104

Shas'el
+ Burst Cannon
+ Missile Pod
+ Shield Generator
+ HW Multi-Tracker

Elite:396

Crisis Suit Team:189
3x Shas'ui
+ 3x Fusion Blaster
+ 3x Plasma Rifle
+ 3x Multi-Tracker

Stealth Suit Team:207
Shas'vre & 9 Shas'ui
+Bonded
+HW Target Lock

Troop: 722
Fire Warrior Squad 1: 242
Shas'ui & 9 Shas'la
+Bonded
+Drone Controller
+ 2 Gun Drones
+ 5 Pulse Carbines
Devilfish
+Multi-Tracker
+Decoy Launcher
+Targeting Array

Fire Warrior Squad 2: 240
Sha'ui & 11 Shas'la
+Bonded
Devilfish
+Multi-Tracker
+Decoy Launcher
+Targeting Array

Fire Warrior Squad 3: 240
Sha'ui & 11 Shas'la
+Bonded
Devilfish
+Multi-Tracker
+Decoy Launcher
+Targeting Array

Fast Attack:96

Gun Drone Squadron: 96
8 Gun Drones

Heavy Support:180

Hammerhead:180
Gunship
+Railgun
+Smart Missile System
+Multi-Tracker
+Decoy Launcher
+Target Lock

Total Points: 1498

I like this list very well, and I havn't got to play very much with it, the last game I was with I had a rule ***** try and tell me he pentrated my Devilfish even though it moved 12 inches the turn and you can't pentrate a skimmer after it moved over 6, you can only glance, and he wouldn't listen to me till I hit him with the rule book and forfeit.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I love this list. Very fluffy!

I personally would try to include 2 HH's at least but not sure what I would drop to get this.

Also, the points spent on firewarrior Shas'uis and bonding could be better spent elsewhere. I don't believe this is unfluffy either. The firewarriors are still the less experienced of the troops so would not necessarily have fought together that long. However I always bond my elite squads as these troops have climbed the ranks together and are sworn to thier bretheren.

It's good to see someone not buy into the hype that balanced Tau lists dont win.

I suppose that you actually have only 6 stealth suits instead of the 9 in which case I love you!\

Phase Out....

·
Shrubs for the Blood God
1,144 Posts
Many things to say:

1. I'm not a realy favorite of your HQ's config. Burst cannons are a bit of a waste on Cirsis in my opinion. I would replace with a plasma gun but thats just me.

2. Target lock on your Stealth Suit leader's a bit of a waste. Thats spending points so that ONE burst cannon can fire in a different direction than the others. In most situations you gonna want to shoot all your stealth at the same target anyway so why waste the points?

3. If your FW's are mounted in a Devilfish they arn't going to need bonding in the way that Static FW's do, they just don't absorb the same amount of casualties, but that point is debateable. I personally wouldn't put the Drone controller on the FW leader, they're mounted in a DF so they already go two fighting with them. The controller is a lot of extra points for just two more shots that might pin the enemy.

4. Your a little light on Hammerheads, in a 1500 two would be good. Pie plates are lovely things.

On the whole I prefer cleaner lists with less flash and glitz taped on to unnecessary units, but I think this list is fairly competitive and really doesn't have any problems, just differences in preference. By the way I love that Helios Crisis squad, those guys gotta kick some serious Tank and Marien butt.

·
Registered
664 Posts
get the shas'vre out of the stealth and take bonding,target lock out with him,replace him by a normal stealth.then drop a crisis and with the point from the shas'vre and the crisis get a shas'el

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, I made some changes:

HQ:
Commander:110
Shas'el
+Plasma Rifle
+Missile Pod
+Shield Generator
+HW Multi-Tracker

Elite:
Stealth Suit Team: 200
Shas'vre & 5 Shas'ui
+Bonded

As you see I changed the configuration on my Commander to allow for more anti heavy infantry, and I took the Target Lock off the Stealth Team Leader, it really wasn't helping. I did however keep him Shas'vre. Fluff reasons mostly.

Total Points: 1497

·
Registered
664 Posts
take out the shas'vre and all his things and the bondings,plz do it because shas'vre are useless with stealth

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
svalene said:
take out the shas'vre and all his things and the bondings,plz do it because shas'vre are useless with stealth

Might I ask why bonding if useless in a team of over 6? I understand the Shas'vre, but why bonding?

·
Registered
664 Posts
because bonding is only a CHANCE to let a team of 2 sthealth come back in combat.and often because they have fled it will take them a moment to get back in good firing position.plus you may still fail the bonding test.10 point is too much for something that is not likely to happen.often when stealth lose so much guys it is because of pie plates and they often all die.bonding isnt worth it.and im not the only one thinking like this,most people find it useless.

·
Registered
419 Posts
svalene said:
because bonding is only a CHANCE to let a team of 2 sthealth come back in combat.and often because they have fled it will take them a moment to get back in good firing position.plus you may still fail the bonding test.10 point is too much for something that is not likely to happen.often when stealth lose so much guys it is because of pie plates and they often all die.bonding isnt worth it.and im not the only one thinking like this,most people find it useless.
Yeah, by the time your in range to take out exactly 4 stealths, it's probably pretty late in the game thanks to their awsome abilities. If you regroup after 5 casulties your still last man standing, and getting back into fireing position might take an extra turn if you manage to pass your regroup roll. In any case, thats still only 2 stealths, its not a scoring unit anyway so you dont need it in turn 6. It's just not really worth it. :hmm:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'd like to state something I think you guys are missing. Min/maxing in the way you guys suggest leads to a boring, unfluffy list. (IMO)

I put bonding on EVERY elite unit (except monat suits), a shas'vre in my stealths w/ a markerlight/target lock, and photon grenades on every firewarrior/pathfinder. I always put EMP's on pathfinders and occasionally on all firewarriors.This makes for a lot of what people call "wasted points" but it makes for very characterful units. Also note that I do not agree w/ the idea of "wasted points" as all of these upgrades have thier uses. They may not come up in every game but when they do I'm prepared.

I am a hobbyist as much as a gamer and HATE lists that do not take the fluff into consideration. There is nothing I like more than Trouncing a Min/Maxed army list w/ no flavor or theme. And my lists, w/ all thier "wasted points" do it very well. To those of you who feel you have to make every point count evrey game, lighten up, slap some grenades on your troops, and LEARN TO USE THEM!

Phase Out....

·
Registered
664 Posts
wow..if you are a fluff guy well that up to you but this forum is made to improve list,and smaking grenades on everyone won't help making the list BETTER!!!! so now go put bonding on everione and get some krootox in your kroot squads,then go do a tournament and tell us how it goes!

·
Registered
133 Posts
HA! I beat people who regularly attend Rouge Traders, GT's, and Games Days w/ these lists.
These things all have their uses or they wouldn't be in the codex. What do you do when you lose a HH at the top of turn one. Do you quit because your out 150+ pts. No, you play better and make the ABSOLUTE MOST out of your units on the table. Thats what I do. Just because I have a 100+ points wrapped up in wargear/bonding/etc. dosn't mean my list can't kick ass. I just have less room for error. I feel it helps me play better. Besides, as I said all these things have their uses and will eventually come into play. I'd rather have somethimg and not need it then need a thing and not have it.

Oh and making a list that dosn't fit the fluff of the codex isn't an improvement for me. People fear my Tau and I feel even more proud that my army wins battles using things that egotistical players say should never be used. HMMM....wonder why they put them in the codex.

Frankly, if you can't fit a little fluff into your lists and still win you need to improve your tactics.

You should form some opinions of your own buddy. (no offense, really) Try different things before you buy into the same boring ideas that too often get tossed around here.

Phase Out....

·
Registered
664 Posts
i don't see how having grenades on your fire warriors make them 'fluffy'.did i say you couldn't win?no it is just harder to win.so having all that fluffy but almost useless stuff in your army make it less efective.in other words makes it harder to win with

·
Registered
133 Posts
As for grenades alone making it fluffy, no they don't. But I'm taking into account the fact that I use an army designed around the IDEA of the fluff. Troops are my mainstay, and I try to limit my other slots to what I think is realistic (in a fantasy game, I know). Although I am occasionally guilty of taking 3 HH's in 1500pts. :O Hey, I'm human.

Whether its harder to win w/ depends on how you play. You of course must know the applications of these upgrades. If you don't, thats when they become "wasted points".

About grenades; I shall keep this short as it should probably be a thread of its own. I AM NOT in the mindset that I want my troops to die quickly in CC so I can shoot the enemy. I'd much rather have them hold that unit in place while I focus on other units. Grenades help w/ this. If nothing else they help the unit survive the first turn of CC while the rest of my army scoots away. Not a steep price at 12pts a squad. If my firewarriors are lucky or the enemy unit is small they may even go on to win the combat, which my firewarriors have done more times than even I believe! My opponents love that. Oh, the shame they feel.

Phase Out...

·
Registered
664 Posts
agaisnt a CC squad even with grenades they wont survive..
like 12 berserkers charge your 12 fire warriors,either they all die or they flee but their is no way they hold their ground

·
Registered
664 Posts
ok mm 20 slugga boys?your fire warriors with grenades will die or flee

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright! Guys! That's enough, I do respect both opinions but don't have a war over what is useful and what is not, or this thread will most likely get closed.

I have two versions of this list, a fluffy version, and a points version. I use the fluffy version, yes with grenades and every unit has a squad leader, for playing a friendly game with my mates at my hobby store. I might lose more, but it makes them alot happier to have won. However, when I get down to playing a game with a uptight rule ***** (I don't mean anyone on this board, there is this guy at my hobby store that is just so annoying, I call him rule *****), then I make as many points as I can count.

I however paint and model my army's very very fluffy.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Fair Enough, Red Fang, this is your post so I'll let it go. Believe it or not I like argueing w/ him. Its going on over like 3 different posts now. He dosn't seem like a bad kid.

Anyway Im gonna start my own post about grenades and see what comes of it.

Good to hear about a a fluff modeled army. Someday I'll post pics of my 'Crons and Tau.

Phase Out....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts