Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody!
I need some help to optimize my 1500 pts. list...

HQ
Overlord w/phase shifter; orb; warshyte, mindshackle scarabs IN Command Barge (gauss cannon)
Destroyer Lord, 2+AS, warshcyte;

Veilteck
Lord with orb
Lord with Orb and Gauntlet

TROOP
6 War (with Lord)
6 War (with gauntlet Lord, IN Nightschyte)
7 Gauss Immortal (with Veilteck)

FAST
2 Canoptek Wraith (2xwhip coil; 2x photon pistol)
6 scarabs

HEAVY
3x canoptek Spider (1x gloom pirsm)

--------------Strategy----------------
Essentially "start pushing ASAP": I usually deploy the scarabs in front and try to assault in the first turn using the "nest" rule; in the meantime a teleport the Immortals behind enemy line and target small Infantry unit or medium level vehicles to score the first-blood.
Warriors in reserve usually came in to support the front line or to capture objectives.
The rest of the army serves as "second assault wave" or tries to hit the enemy on the opposite front than the scarabs.

------------My point--------------------
2 games so far: the first one was a clear victory (against Eldar), the second a minor defeat (against laser-spamming Space Wolves).
IMO, the crucial turn in each game was the first: if I succeed in killing something (with scarabs or Immortals) everything's goes great, otherwise... Well, everythings becomes harder, not having a lot of shooting stuff.

I'm going to start a small local tournament... Any suggestion to optimize the list?

THX!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
2 wratihs will get killed wayyyyyyyyyy to easily. A 2 ten man tactical marine squads rapidfiring and you are gone. You need at least 5 wraiths with whip coils. I am no expert on crons but that unit needs to be bigger.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx Sare: I usually use the Wraith as a "retenue" for the destroyer lord, so it's a three man squad with 2+ or 3++ save and 2 or 3 wounds each... Not so easy to bring down, if you've something else to deal with, for example a Command Barge...
But I think I can trade a warrior and an immortal for another Wraith: what do you think?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I would say 4 wraiths at the absolute minimum. 5-6 is preferable. Even with the Dlord they can be ruined rather fast. Wraiths have a disadvantage in necrons in that they cannot reassemble, which most opponents should know. So they will probably want to wreck that unit fast, which with only 3 models is fairly easy to do.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would say 4 wraiths at the absolute minimum. 5-6 is preferable. Even with the Dlord they can be ruined rather fast. Wraiths have a disadvantage in necrons in that they cannot reassemble, which most opponents should know. So they will probably want to wreck that unit fast, which with only 3 models is fairly easy to do.
So I can trade a spider, a war and an Immortal for 2 Wraith with pistol but withot whips...
Should sound something like...
TROOPS
5 war (with Lord)
6 war (with lord in Schyte)
6 Imm (with veilteck)

FAST
4 canoptek Wraith (2x whip coil; 4x pistol)
6 scarabs

HEAVY
2x Spider (1x Gloom prism)

Sounds better?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wraiths can't take particle casters and whip coils, just one choice from their options list. Plus, I'm not convinced that taking a pistol gives them an extra attack, as they are not armed with a close combat weapon to begin with (to which the rulebook says they are 'treated as if they are armed with a single close combat weapon', not actually armed with one). Otherwise you could argue that all space marines have a ccw to go with their bolt pistols as they aren't specifically armed with a melee weapon.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Wraiths can't take particle casters and whip coils, just one choice from their options list. Plus, I'm not convinced that taking a pistol gives them an extra attack, as they are not armed with a close combat weapon to begin with (to which the rulebook says they are 'treated as if they are armed with a single close combat weapon', not actually armed with one). Otherwise you could argue that all space marines have a ccw to go with their bolt pistols as they aren't specifically armed with a melee weapon.
This all seems right to me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hope, you're right about the number of gears... It's coil OR particle caster, non both. My mistake.

Not shure about the +1 attack: in my group "pistol= one more attack in CC" is quite an accepted rule... And the same goes for Space Wolves...

Well, it seems Khan agrees with you... Anybody else...?

·
Registered
130 Posts
It's not that clear, but Space Wolves specifically have both a pistol and a ccw listed as their equipment (as do a lot of Chaos Marines I seem to remember) which is why I interpret it the way I do.

·
Tabletop Terraformer
1,405 Posts
Wraiths don't have any close combat weapons listed in their wargear (they just have rending attacks), and since pistols only grant an extra attack when used with a close combat weapon, Wraiths don't get any extra attacks from the Particle Casters. Sorry, but thems the rules.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wraiths don't have any close combat weapons listed in their wargear (they just have rending attacks), and since pistols only grant an extra attack when used with a close combat weapon, Wraiths don't get any extra attacks from the Particle Casters. Sorry, but thems the rules.
Ok, sounds good.
Bright side: I have enough points for 5 wraith, keeping the Immortal...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts