Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1500 Point Taskforce
HQ 323
JO, power weapon, standard and 2 x flamer and a Sanctioned Psyker.
Fire Support Squad 3 x Heavy Bolter
Fire Support Squad 3 x Heavy Bolter
Sentinel with Autocanon

Elite 290
8 Ratlings
8 Storm Troopers, Infiltrate and two plasma guns
8 Veterans, Lascannon, Vet Sergeant

Troops 682

JO with 3 x Flamer and sanctioned psyker
3 x Infantry Squads with Missile Launchers
Remnant Squad with melta gun

JO with 3 x Flamer and sanctioned psyker
3 x Infantry Squads with Autocannons
Remnant Squad with plasma gun

Fast Attack 75
8 Rough Riders, CCW and LP with Vet Sergeant with power weapon

Heavy Support 130
JO with Mortar
Mortar Support Squad

Total is 1500 points. I am wide open for comments as this is will be a fixed list.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Looks fairly decent, though im unsure as to weather or not its got enough tank cracking power. Youve got a melta and 3 missiles, which really might not cut it against armour heavy lists.

Other queries: why the heavy weapons platoon? Theres room for the mortar squad within the HQ platoon, and the 50pts for a JO with a single mortar doesnt strike me as value for money, unless you intend to use him soley as a leadership boost.

Secondly, the heavy bolters support squads. Theyre a good deal, i wont deny that, but youre list probably doesnt need them. Those squads could fill vital tank busting roles. You can rely on your infantry squads, mortars and the 3 flamer command squads to take out light infantry.

Finally, the lone sentinel. Its the only piece of armour in this list, and only AV10 at that. It will get swatted down by every lascannon your enemies are packing in the first turn possible, because its the single most valuable target for enemy anti tank weapons. After that theyre down to nailing basic troopers, which isnt a great use for heavy duty AT.
If your going to take sentinels id suggest taking at least 3, 1 in the command platoon and 2 seperate ones in the fast attack slots. Id also consider giving them lascannons: autocannons are nice but your already packing plenty, and you really need to get more of a punch out of those sentinels for them to be worth it.

apart from that, fairly solid, though like i say, my number one concern is tank busting. you really dont have enough anti tank for a competitive all commers list in my opinion. then again, i could be wrong.
your thoughts?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Whats with all the flamers? did i miss a discussion were they suddenly became a serious countermeasure? last i checked without drop troops they were pretty useless, please explain

I like the heavy bolter supports

Lone sentinal - I agree with wako there

Like the Ratlings, and stormies

Dont get the 1 lascannon : Why 8 man squad ?, why not add more weapons?

Troops are sweet.

Riders are sweet.

Mortar should relocate to HQ as Wako said.

Maybe you can loose the flamers and psykers and make the mortar squad into like 3 squads, make it more of a barrage, would be "as" good as the flamers i rate, and can potshot hiddin units

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flamers

Hmm,

Mary had a little lamb
his wool was white and whispy
then she met one of my command squads
now lamb is black and crispy

Flamers = Fluff

nuff said

As for the rest of the advice. It's amazing. I will be re-writing. Right now I am busy gluing...

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about

What about trading out the vets for a unit of 8 with 3 Grenade Launchers and a Sergeant with a Bolter?

I think you are right about the random HWP. I had planned to take two but ran out of points. I think I just wasn't paying very much attention to what happened once I had taken the rest out.

What do other players use for popping those high AV tanks?

·
Registered
668 Posts
What about trading out the vets for a unit of 8 with 3 Grenade Launchers and a Sergeant with a Bolter?
I think you should keep the vets as they are. They're gonna be responsible for hitting harder tanks.

What do other players use for popping those high AV tanks?
Prayers... and lascannons. Or missiles, if you like that route. You've got one melta in there, and perhaps you could take your second remnants squad and give them one as well. They might slip by if your enemy decides to concentrate on the full squads.

I think that you're right on the edge of the right amount of anti-tank here. You do have plenty of missiles, and even though if you're shooting at tanks its a waste of lasguns, you also have those Heavy Bolter support squads which I'm assuming will be doing nothing but chewing infantry up. With good deployment, you'll probably be able to get at least a side armor shot with a missile or two, or even with your autocannons, so it's not like you need a lot more anti-tank.

Really I think it's pretty dang balanced. The only things I'd change are those sanctioned psykers...Blech... I'd assume these are for fluff? and maybe take one of your command squads and kit them for anti-MEQ work i.e. plasma, but other than that, pretty nice.

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why Thank you Snowman

Why Thank you snowman!

I personally think that the Missile Launchers are enough. If someone fields a Landraider then I am going to have a horrible time popping it from a distance. If one comes up I will be sending in the Special Weapons and two disposable melta squads. (I took a look at my collection and I already have enough melta guns to do that. By dropping a plasma I can avoid having to open another blister...)

Do Marine players field Landraiders at 1500 points and if they do what do people do to take then out?

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
As far as I know a LaandRaider with a deadhard Termie squad is not an all too uncommon sight in tournies. And for any guard player I think it's quite wise to be prepared to take them out asap.
I'm a bit surprised over some of your choices, the vets are quite far from the regular setup. I often field a handfull of vets and they've always have three plasmas and a lascannon. They are just great. To not make full use of their high BS and ability to take three specialweapons seems very strange to me.

I also, though I should point out I'm no IG vet, think you might want to try to swap places on the Missile Launchers/ AutoCannons and Heavy Bolters.

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Thinking

My thinking on this army is fairly simple. I think setting out my thoughts should help explain my approach to all of my unit selections and if there are any flaws or problems with my ideas then people can point them out to me. For instance the Heavy Weapon Platoon has either got to be filled up or got rid of. I favour the latter of those options that the moment.

Anyways, my approach to my IG army.

Rule One,
Average cost per wound must be less than 10 points. That means an average of 4 points of kit for each guardsman. My thinking here is that many armies are loaded with high net worth individuals. Librarians, powerful HQ's, Tanks, Skimmers, Terminators etc. A lot of these models are limited in their ability to kill miniatures. For instance a space marine with a bolter can only fire one shot per turn or two once he is close enough to rapidfire. A predator destructor can let off five shots per turn and very occassionally eight. If my average value is very low then I can limit the effectiveness of these awesome units by restricting the number of points of troops that they can slay each game turn. For instance that Predator can only kill 50 points worth of stuff each turn, meaning that it has to kill almost 100% of its capacity to break even by the end of turn three. On the other hand my missile launcher carrying guardsman who is lucky enough to pop that predator will earn more than 12 times his points value back instantly. Sounds good to me.

My general in this list comes in at an enormous 21 points. How many armies can say that their general is worth that little? That means a terminator would have to kill him twice just to pay for himself... I hope you can see where I am coming from here.

I think this leads me pretty naturally to my next rule...

Rule Two, espouse volume over quality of fire wherever possible. That means that flamers are in! AP3 weaponry is not very important, the aim of the game is to make your opponent roll as many armour saves as possible. Think of it this way. Imagine I told you that my troops have a special lasgun battery that makes the laser bolt toxic to Space Marines. In my army you roll to hit, roll to wound and then you roll for poison. You roll once for every wound and on a 5 or a 6 the marine dies with no armour save. I think that sounds pretty cool. Well guess what? Every player is already playing those rules. For every wound inflicted by a lasgun there is a 33% change of a marine failing his save, by rolling a 1 or 2 and dying. So every three wounds equals a dead marine. Forget ignoring his save, let's just shoot him more often!

So anyway, I got off the point. Volume. I want to include as many weapons as possible. More than that I want to fire as many weapons as possible, as effectively as possible, every turn of the game. That means that I want single target priority units. Lasguns are anti-infantry and so I supplement them with antiinfantry or anti-transport weapons. Units with heavy weapons are kitted out with CC weapons as a back up where possible as they will remain static firing their weapons until charged. Then for no extra points any lucky-enough -to-survive guard will then get two attacks back instead of one. Increasing their tiny chances of wounding someone.

So, that's my answer with response to the Vets. With 3 grenade launchers they are a small mobile unit, capable of dishing out accurate s6 hits every turn which moving. Their effective range of 30" puts them on a par with fire warriors and I see these guys helping take out tough opponents while moving to grab objectives. The alternative is to park them in a decent spot with a lascannon and scanner right at the start of the game and try to pop enemy armour with their more accurate lascannon fire. I am just cautious about handing a guardsman a gun that costs more than twice as much as he does...

Ahem. I want to revise this list but the advice that I have been given has really given me pause for thought on a couple of issues. Thanks to all those who have commented, to those of you who have not yet had your say, please feel free.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Do Marine players field Landraiders at 1500 points and if they do what do people do to take then out?
I would with my Black Templars, but it would be a LRC loaded with a regular (as opposed to terminator) squad. The total cost of a squad of termies in a land raider is just too much of a point sink for me to justify, no matter how awesome it would be if it worked out. Most of the people I play against actually ignore the LRC. I don't have a regular land raider, so I don't really know how people play against one of those, but I'd assume that the player using it would have to decide on if he were going to use it primarily as a transport or as just a big ass gun platform.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I played a few tornes were the odd player pulled a LR with X inside, my favorite thing to use was obviously an ord shot, but otherwise i'd suggest lasses followed by missile launchers

It shouldn't be prob if you play a "decent" (8+, for IG imo, I play 14) amount of anti-tank ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.