Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going to use this list for a few games to playtest. You might know that I am pretty stubborn about how I think the tau play best. I'm going to try this to see if a few ideas of mine are right or not.

Shas'el - twinlinked plasma rifle, missile pod, hw multi

Shas'ui - team leader, twinlinked fusion blaster, plasma rifle, hw multi
- how effective is this suit?
6 stealths
4 stealths

10 fire warriors in devilfish - decoys
- are the multi and array worth it?
10 Fire warriors - shas'ui, bonded
- is bonding useful?
6 fire warriors - shas'ui, markerlight
- is the cheapest single markerlight worth it?
12 kroot

6 hounds
- are hounds useful?
4 gun drones
- can these guys protect a commander? can they score?

Hammerhead - railgun, smart missiles, decoys, multi, lock, pod
Broadside - 2 shield drones
- is the broadside underrated?

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
onlainari said:
I'm going to use this list for a few games to playtest. You might know that I am pretty stubborn about how I think the tau play best. I'm going to try this to see if a few ideas of mine are right or not.

6 stealths
4 stealths

10 Fire warriors - shas'ui, bonded
- is bonding useful?
6 fire warriors - shas'ui, markerlight
- is the cheapest single markerlight worth it?
12 kroot

6 hounds
- are hounds useful?
4 gun drones

This will be really interesting, though you have to realise the results you get will only apply within the context of your list but that aside the results will be informative.
For insatnce I recommended the XV8 fit to you because I have had some success with it in my list, so I am really interested to see how it performs in your list which as you know is very different to mine (composition and tacticaly) also looking forward to hearing how the 4 drones perform (you peaked my interest with that idea).
I have started to doubt some long held ideas myself lately and the Tau lists are going to be changed radically with the new codex.
I can see a lot of fast DF / FW with carbines and Pathfinder support armies appearing along with XV8 teams.
Nice idea by the way.

P.S you stubborn NAH never

·
Registered
21 Posts
onlainari said:
Personaly I prefer to upgrade my commander a bit more. Takeing Shasel gives you 5 BS so you will pretty much always hit and you dont need to TL any weapons freeing up a hardpoint. You can then put either the Multitracker on the hard point for 5 points cheaper, or put a shield generator or add shield drones (I like haveing the invulnerable saves). This makes it so that you can use him as a hunter-killer squad and adds to his survivability, but does make him more expensive. [/quote]

Some people like the Fusion blasters but I leave tank killing to the hammerheads and equip all my Crisis suits with TL Misslepods and a single Plasma Rifle. Personal preferance though.

6 stealths
4 stealths
Peraonly I like the stealth units but remember they are expensive. A full squad will cost you around the same as a Hammerhead if not more. That being said I would drop the half squad and equip the remaining squad with a marklight (reason being the range of marklight is 36" and to be shot at at that range your opponent will have to roll perfectly, unless of course you jumpack backwards during assault in which case you cant be relaliated against).

See my note on the hammerheads about Decoy launchers. The Multi tracker and Targeting array are very much worth it on any vehicle, though I personaly dont use Devilfish very much unless you are takeing pathfinders and im not real sure if they are worth it either.

4 gun drones
Gun drones have a BS of 2. You wont be scoreing much with them even haveing the weapons TL. The only reason to take these is to walk them infront of your commander so that he cant be targeted and they will basicly be a moveing shield.

I personaly dont see the effectivness of Decoy launchers, sure you can reroll immobalized results (only) but it could re-roll into Destroyed. I would rather my tank be stuck sitting still and still on the board to 1) soak up enemy fire, 2) return fire from a stationary position.

No they are not that great. At first glance they seem very good. Cheap compared to the Hammerhead (though no ordinance on the railgun) a great save of 2+ and 2 wounds. But they cant move and fire so they will have to remain stationary to be effective, and most importantly they have a 4 toughness which is too low for the roll they will play. They will be insta killed by any Strength 8 weapon and there are alot of those out there many of which will ignore the 2+ save. I would spend my points on another Hammerhead (the Ion cannon is not a bad weapon either and is slightly cheaper if you are low on points).

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
truckle the uncivil said:
I personaly dont see the effectivness of Decoy launchers, sure you can reroll immobalized results (only) but it could re-roll into Destroyed. I would rather my tank be stuck sitting still and still on the board to 1) soak up enemy fire, 2) return fire from a stationary position.
The only time the Hammerhead can remain stationary after its immobalised is if it has moved less than 6" in its previous movement phase, if it moved 6" or more it crashes and is destroyed so that reroll looks a bit more attractive doesn't it.
If your Hammerhead moved more than 6" in its movement phase it counts all hits as glancing which means that damage rolls are resolved on the glancing table, which means a 5+ to destroy the vehicle now that 66.6% chance of surviving looks good to me, certainly a lot better than the 100% chance of guaranteed death without the decoys when that immobalised result rears its ugly, ugly head.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts