Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everybody, i recently started warhammer again after not playing it since i was at school (1999). My friesnd has a blood angel army, and my other has a chaos one.

I figured i would try something different so i started an a necron army.

I have the battle force, a necron lord, 3 tomb spyders and a monolith on its way in the post. I know this will give me aobut 1500 points but does anyone have any suggestions as what to add to the amy (elites etc) or anything???

thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
The current models you have as of now come to around 1100 points. I would suggest adding more destroyers and another box of warriors at least.

You can never go wrong with immortals either they are an expensive buy but a great unit to have.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Don't buy normal destroyer models. Heavy destroyers are a complete normal destroyer with an extra metal gun added. You can then use magnets, velcro, green stuff to make the gun swappable as this is the only difference between the two models.

·
Registered
52 Posts
In my way of thinking destroyers are the best unit us Necrons have. I Would love to take 15 of them, but your friend across the table is going to yelling CHEESE at you most of the game. But just think 45 shoots per ROUND of jet bike LOVE !

What I love to do is to stay about 36" away from my target and as he come to me I move back and around stay as far as I can from it. This has work so well for me even when my enemy know what I am doing. If you get in real trouble TURBO BOOST and get your +3 INV save ! And even if you do not win you have one HELL of a great time losing.

·
Registered
954 Posts
This whole cheese things is a bunch of dung. If the codex says you can do it then so-be-it. If they want to see cheesy then bring three monoliths and VoD a squad of warriors into the corner to prevent phase-out. The problem with 15 destroyers is they're 750 points! Add to that your required 2 troops and an HQ and you're already over 1250 points. Phase-out in a few turns most likely.

·
Registered
52 Posts
LordCreampuff said:
This whole cheese things is a bunch of dung. If the codex says you can do it then so-be-it. If they want to see cheesy then bring three monoliths and VoD a squad of warriors into the corner to prevent phase-out. The problem with 15 destroyers is they're 750 points! Add to that your required 2 troops and an HQ and you're already over 1250 points. Phase-out in a few turns most likely.
I could not agree more ! The cheese thing drives me crazy ! Like you said if your codex says you can do it ! LETS DO IT ! I want who I am fighting to have the best of the best for them, BRING IT !

But at tournaments , you get scored on having a " balanced " list. Which I think is cow poo. SO we have to dumb down the best list we can have, to score right ? THAT IS CRAZY TALK !!!

If I am a general of an army, I am going to bring the best of the best , I would want to WIN, Necrons would not give a WHOOT about having a balanced army, and sportsmanship , we want to KILL KILL KILL !!! This whole cheese thing DRIVES me nuts. If we can not do it, TELLS US THAT IN THE FREAKING CODEX ! PLEASE !!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
OK, 2 things.

1, 750 points of destroyers + 20 warriors + 1 lord w/ res orb = 1250... so i dont know where you're coming from there

2, Genesha, I completely disagree with you and the poster before u! ok first of all, that "avoid phase out with 2 VODing squads of warriors" crap is just stupid. you can only do it once per turn, so the enemy is always going to be able to shoot you, and then you'll have to phase out even sooner.

and the "cheese thing" isnt a piece of dung! do you really want to face a 3 wraithlord army at 500 points? i didnt think so, so stop being a little girl about cheese, just because you like to play to win and to win alone. I'll bet your the same person who is always complaining when people beat your "suped up" army. You know, the one with a monolith at 750 points? and you complain about phasing out?

ALRIGHT, ENOUGH OF THAT, ill get back to helping with the real thread here:

Listen to what everyone said until Creampuff posted. his post was anti-constructive, and there was no point to it.

Get destroyers and Immortals. end of story

didnt mean to insult anyone, but people who say "if its in the codex, i can do it" just annoy me.

(HAHA P.S. shouldnt this have gone in the army lists?)

·
Registered
954 Posts
Grand Master Halls said:
OK, 2 things.

1, 750 points of destroyers + 20 warriors + 1 lord w/ res orb = 1250... so i dont know where you're coming from there
Spending almost half of your tournament allowance on 15 models makes for a tough army but a good opponent will phase you out. In an 1850 point list I bring 40 warriors alone, not including other models. Spending 1250 on your core, another 250 for your monolith (a must-have in a tourny army) leaves you precious few points for any elites or heavies. Makes phase-out that much easier. I'm not saying you can't win with them as they hit a ton, I see it as a specialized list and I prefer balance.
Since the original poster didn't identify the army limit I assumed it was a tourny army of 1850 points. So I don't see why you're questioning my math.

Grand Master Halls said:
2, Genesha, I completely disagree with you and the poster before u! ok first of all, that "avoid phase out with 2 VODing squads of warriors" crap is just stupid. you can only do it once per turn, so the enemy is always going to be able to shoot you, and then you'll have to phase out even sooner.
You can make a list with 3 monoliths and one squad of 20 warriors with a lord and VoD. Since the 20 warriors and lord are greater than the phase-out value of the entire army I can simply hide them the whole game and never phase-out. This is a very simple thing to do on a standard 4x6 board. You only need to teleport once per turn max and you can jump all the way across the board if you need to. Even fast vehicles will take a few turns to get to you.
I only suggested this tactic to prevent a cry of "cheese" for the 15 destroyer army. Maybe I should be more explicit with my sarcasm so you can follow it easier?

Grand Master Halls said:
and the "cheese thing" isnt a piece of dung! do you really want to face a 3 wraithlord army at 500 points? i didnt think so, so stop being a little girl about cheese, just because you like to play to win and to win alone. I'll bet your the same person who is always complaining when people beat your "suped up" army. You know, the one with a monolith at 750 points? and you complain about phasing out?
If GW didn't want it to be allowed then they would restrict the number allowed in an army. I would expect to see three wraithlords in an Iyanden army so it's quite possible. Cheese is completely in the eye of the beholder. I have seen two squads of destroyers called cheesy. Personally I see anyone who customizes their army for their current opponent as a bit cheesy as I feel an army should be balanced at all times unless you're playing a special scenario. This whole cheese thing was created by sore losers who were trying to make an excuse for their loss.
Could you possibly be one of them?

Grand Master Halls said:
Listen to what everyone said until Creampuff posted. his post was anti-constructive, and there was no point to it.
My post stated my opinion just as yours did. It has exactly the same amount of merit as your opinion. Maybe more so since I didn't criticise anyone who posted an opposing opinion before me.

My opinion is quite valid and anyone who has played that list will more than likely run into problems with numerous foes. Destroyers are tough cookies no doubt but they are hardly invincible. Against IG where a single pie plate can wipe out the whole squad or 'nids where if they're caught they're at the minimum tied up for the entire game. Either way you're in real trouble. By putting all your eggs into one basket not only are you reducing your phase-out number you are also making yourself vulnerable to any army that can easily counter the threat of destroyers. But if you have played Necrons for any amount of time against different foes you would have known that already. You see, I have so my opinions are quite valid.

Grand Master Halls said:
didnt mean to insult anyone, but people who say "if its in the codex, i can do it" just annoy me.
Didn't mean to insult anyone? That is such BS. You're entitled to your opinion just like everyone else. Too bad the way you articulate it makes it sound like a five year-old crying because his mommy just took away his favorite toy. Boo hoo.... :(

·
Registered
52 Posts
Grand Master Halls said:
OK, 2 things.

In the 1st part of this , I have no idea what you are talking about I never said anything about VoD.
YES I would like to face 3 wraithlord army at 500 points. I love to play, win or LOSE I just love to play. I am a VERY good sport about losing and sometimes have more fun losing. MAY I also say that I never said I do use that stuff, the list I use is a very balanced list.

But let me add this. If a codex says you can do something, and you are smart enough to try and use it, then that makes for a fun game to me. Not saying that would be fun to you, but to me yes 500 3 wraithlord army sounds fun !!! I will have to work really hard to even get by, that sounds like fun, and I would feel like the man if I could ever beat that. Being a " little girl " is to complain as I am sure you do " You just won becuase you had a cheesy army "
In my book cheese army or not, a win is a win. The most important thing is that people are having fun. If your codex says you can take it BRING IT ! Lets have a great time seeing how GOOD we can make our armies.

I have a friend that has an army with all jet bikes and land speeders. Most call that cheese, I call it fun. YES he beats the tar out of me, but I have a great time playing him.

·
Registered
126 Posts
When i was talking about the VoD, i was talking about "the poster before u". sorry if that wasnt clear.

I dont whine, i try to make the best of things

I agree that the most important thing is when people have fun, but most of the time its hard to have fun when facing a "cheese army". Because usually when facing an army that is composed to be cheesy, the player doesnt play for fun. Now, i agree if you try out a cheesy army for one game, with friends and such, but to have a 3 wraithlord list as the list you use constantly, now thats just wrong, and gets boring for the other players.

i also apologise for the insult.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Grand Master Halls said:
When i was talking about the VoD, i was talking about "the poster before u". sorry if that wasnt clear.

I dont whine, i try to make the best of things

I agree that the most important thing is when people have fun, but most of the time its hard to have fun when facing a "cheese army". Because usually when facing an army that is composed to be cheesy, the player doesnt play for fun. Now, i agree if you try out a cheesy army for one game, with friends and such, but to have a 3 wraithlord list as the list you use constantly, now thats just wrong, and gets boring for the other players.

i also apologise for the insult.
NO NEED TO APOLOGISE at all, you were just saying what was on your mind. Nothing wrong with that. But thank you anyway.

I agree with you for the most part, sometimes getting beat by a cheese army is not the most fun thing in the world to do. But I still love to play no matter what.

·
Registered
693 Posts
-people, your argument has nothing to do with the purpose of the thread, and is rather pointless, so getting back on topic...

-for your army i think maybe more destroyers/ a second lord would be best if you alredy have an aditional warrior squad.

-yay, 500th post...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.