82 points

HEAVY SUPPORT

Trygon Prime

240 Points

Total 1500

·
Registered
58 Posts
A couple quick observations on your list.

Hive Tyrant The Tyrant is a major point sink and so you have to decide what you want it to do before you field it. Is it going to be a close combat monster, or a fire support backfield leader? Your build has him trying to do both things although I get the impression you want him up front and hacking away. If he's going to be a close combat expert then drop the HVC and get Bone Sword with Lash Whip. The Lash Whip nerfs opponent initiative so you can then drop the Adrenal Glands which really aren't going to add much to the Tyrant's capabilities anyhow. I would also swap Leech Essence for Psychic Scream. If you're going to try and kill the enemy with a psychic attack, better to get Wounds back in the process then hope to inflict wounds through a failed leadership test. I don't know what armies you'll be playing but odds are Leadership will be around 10 in most cases anyhow (unless you're fighting other nids :) ). Also, with Leech Essence you might be able to get by with only two Tyrant Guard instead of three.

And of course, if you plan on the Tyrant being a shooter instead of a hacker you'll want to dump the upgrades that are specific to close combat (Acid Blood, LW&BS, ) and go with either the HVC or Twin Linked Devourers with Brainleech worms.

Elites These are your anti-armor/mech units and you've only used up one slot. You really should fill all three slots (assuming you've got models). You need at least two anti-armor mech from the following options: a) Zoanthrope b) Hive Guard c) Tyrannofex. And you need at least two models in any Elite brood. I know many people will say that the T-fex won't earn its points in raw armor kills. But that's not its only function. When it hits mech it can take out any mech the enemy fields. But it also provides amazing psychological benefit as most opponents overestimate its capabilities, pour fire into it, and allow the rest of your army to advance fairly unmolested.

Troops Troop choices are so dependent upon what you're trying to accomplish. My Three observations: 1) You've got seven broods listed. You're limited to six. 2) Your Warrior broods are too small. Warriors are subject to insta-kill due to their relatively low Toughness. I never take lesss then four in a brood, five if I can afford the point sink. 3) I don't see Toxin Sacs anywhere. Never underestimate the damage you can do when you're Hitting on a set number and re-rolling failed to wound rolls due to your Strength being equal to or higher then their Toughness. This is especially devestating on 'stealers or Hormagaunts.

One last suggestion. You may want to consider shifting points around and selecting a Tervigon for a troops choice. Creating additional Troops choices during the game gives opponents headaches. And buffing those Termagant troops with Toxin Sac and Adrenal Gland benefits, plus giving them Counter Charge, makes your opponent sweat.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that sound advice take a look at this new list tell me what you think?

HQ

Hive Tyrant

Bone Sword & Lash Whip
Heavy Venom Cannon

Leech Essence
Paroxysm

Acid Blood
Toxin Sacs
Old Adversary

Tyrant Guard

Lash Whips

ELITES

Zoanthrope *2

Hive Guard * *3

TROOPS

Warrior Brood *5

Lash Whips & Bone Swords
Scything Talons
Toxin Sacs

Hormagaunts * 16

Toxin Sacs

Termagants * 10

Flesh borers*

Termagants * *10

Devourers*

HEAVY SUPPORT

Trygon Prime

Toxin Sacs

Total 1498

·
Registered
58 Posts
It would help at this point to have an idea of what army or armies you'll be facing and what your general strategy is going to be. This list is better, but still has some areas you can tweak.

Hive Tyrant Still seems to be a blend of ranged and up close, leaning towards a close combat build. I would consider switching out the HVC for twin linked Devourers with Bainleech worms. Devestating to infantry and can punch through transport vehicles. And drop the toxin sacs as you generally don't want to trade hitting on 4's for what the monster can do with his normal weapon skill. You may want to go with two Tyrant Guard as well. At 1500 point and below its tough to field a really solid list by using the Tyrant as your HQ. You might want to look at the Tyranid Prime with BS&LW and Devourer. If you join him to your other Warriors he buffs their Weapon Skill. If you made this switch I'd also drop the Tyrant Guard. The points you save could go towards a third Elite choice and/or putting 'stealers back into your list.

Elites Zoans tend to be target priorities, but with your Tyrant and Trygon they might actually get a break for a round or two. Because they are vulnurable to insta-kill shots due to their toughness, many players like to field them in a spore pod. Drop them in behind your opponent's armor. The Zoans can't Move or Charge on the turn they arrive, but they can get off their Lance blasts. Pick tanks over transports at first because if you did succeed in cracking open a Rhino, the marines that come spilling out are sure to Shoot and then Charge your Zoans in their next turn (unless you've got other target priorities in the general area).

Troops 10-nid Termagant broods tend to get shot up fairly quickly. Consider consolidating into one brood of at least 15.

Heavy Support With the warriors, Tyrant, and Zoans you've got pretty good synapse. You don't have to go with a Trygon Prime. You could go regular Prime and free up some points to beef up your small nid numbers. Also consider dropping the toxin sacs. Like the Tyrant you don't want to trade initial to hits for the re-rolls. I may be wrong on that and other more experienced players may say otherwise, but I try to limit toxin sacs to the swarmy 'nids who can really benefit from re-rolls and easier to hit rolls.

Again, it all depends on what armies you're facing and how you want to use your 'nids. Are you going to try and outflank? Deepstrike? Footslog?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chances are I will be deep striking but an not experienced in this so possibly foot slogging.
I will be up against orks and imperial guard mainly to be honest and how to I get the twin linked Devourers built ?? Thanks again for your sound advice

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok based on your advice I am trying this totally new approach what do you think

HQ

Tyranid Prime

W/ Lash whip & bone sword*
W/ Devourer
W/ toxin Sacs

ELITES

Hive guard * 3

Zoanthropes * 3

W/ mycetic spore*
* * *W/ Stinger Salvo

TROOPS

Termagants * 20

W/ flesh borers*

Termagants * 20

W/ Devourers*

Hormagaunts * 16

W/ toxin sacs

Genestealers * 8

W/ toxin sacs

Warriors * 5

W/ lash whips and bone swords
W/ Devourers*
W/ toxin sacs

HEAVY SUPPORT

Trygon

Total 1499

G

·
On the subject of this, has anyone seen the Miniwargaming vids on Tyranid Tactica? Matthew seems pretty sound and has been playing nids for 3 years. Worth a look surelyl

·
663 Posts
Not to down play previous advice but I do have a notably different set of suggestions.

A Hive Tyrant is a fire magnet. I run a walking Hive Tyrant with a Venom Cannon and Lash Whips/Bone Sword. He needs Tyrant Guard, I stoped using my Flying Tyrant because he would be dead in one turn, 4 wounds isn't as helpful as you think on a T6 critter when you don't have tanks. My vote, use the Venom Cannon and Lash whip/Bonesword to give versatility with out being a point sink. Drop the Toxic Sacs, read the rules for Poisin carefully, it actually makes him worse in CC verse enemies.

Elites are good, no change needed.

Troops, like said earlier, combine the Warriors or drop them. They will die too fast as a 3 model unit. The 5 Close Combat Squad is just right though. Drop Toxic Sacs, You;ll kill things just fine with out them.

Also, drop the Termiguants or make them a single squad. With out a Tervigon, they are not very effective in a 10 man squad. You'll just be giving easy kill points to your enemy. Putting the 20 of them in the Pod instead of the Zoanthropes will be a nice surprise for your opponent.

My overall comments are that in all your lists, you have a lot of wasted points. Refocus what each unit is suppose to do and then only give it upgrades for that sole purpose. Cheap Tyranid units are good Tyranid Units. It is harder to do then it is to say. You'll have to loose a lot of games to find what each unit needs.

Welcome to the Hive.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
A Hive Tyrant is a fire magnet. I run a walking Hive Tyrant with a Venom Cannon and Lash Whips/Bone Sword.
Thing is that's a rather inefficient way to spend your points. For 15 points more, you could slap some devourers on him and he would become a whole lot more effective.

I mean what is that lash and bonesword actually giving you in terms of usefulness? Your already I5 and outpacing most units making the lash whip redundant for anything other than characters, which will still beat you senseless owing to having an invulnerable save and powerful weapons most of the time, or GK with halberds, which still have a pretty good chance of killing you as not everyone's going to get into base to base. The bonesword isn't giving you anything at all, you already ignore saves and its so unlikely for a multi wound model (almost always LD10) to fail a test that its not worth considering.

You've also then got the problem of not being able to shoot the HVC (itself a rather poor choice IMHO, see below) when in combat, and not having a second gun to shoot if your at range. Either way somethings being wasted.

Finally what are you using the HVC for? If its infantry killing, both devourers and the stranglethorn cannon outperform it, and if its tank stunning, thats a very expensive unit that most of the time is going to do rather minor damage to tanks. Either way, taking a set of devourers would improve your performance greatly at both tank killing and infantry hitting. Your not losing really losing out on psychic powers either, considering a lot of armies have psychic defense making them unreliable/risky and if you were going to be targeting a tank then you wouldn't be using them anyway! There's nothing to stop you forgoing the devourers if you do want a psychic power though, it just means your not forced to rely on them.

Consider it - Tyrant, Devourers, Stranglethorn/HVC, Guard and I presume Hive commander. When hunting infantry you have a LOT more fire-power at your disposal, and tanks will suffer a bit more with a pair of devourers adding shots into the mix. You still have psychic powers available, but if the situation means you cant use them, you don't lose out on anything. In combat, you're still just as effective against 99% of targets and the ones you lose out on are quite likely to kill you off anyway! And all this for the measly cost of 15 points. From where im standing youd be mad not to.

·
663 Posts
My build is as follows. Lash Whip and Bone Sword, Heavy Venom Cannon, Leech Life, Paroxysm, and Old Adversary. He had Two Guards with him to shrug off shooting attacks. I pick the Venom cannon over the Devourers for a number of reasons, and I know of the usefulness of the Devourers. I loved running them of on the Carnifexes and my Hive Tyrants in 4th edition. In this codex however i have found with my play style the I prefer the Venom Cannon.

My first reason why I only have one ranged weapon is every Psychic Power is a shooting attack, meaning if i had two guns, i couldn't use a Psychic power. Both of the ones that I take are invaluable. The are more useful then any gun that the Hive Tyrant can be equipped with. Having an opponents unit suddenly be Ws and Bs 1 makes any unit worthless for that turn. Another reason that the Venom Cannon is preferred is for its range. My Hive Tyrant follows my front line and thus is not always with in 18" for the Devours shooting. Having 36 inches means I'm always in range. Another Reason is Higher Strength. Strength 9 is perfect for instant death on many problem units, like Nobs, Paladins, and Crisis suits. Along with the Higher Strength is lower Ap. A Strangle Thorn Cannon is only Ap 5.

So many units do vehicle killing and infantry killing better then a Hive Tyrant. My Hive Guard and Zoanthropes kill any armor that they look at so no need for aid in that department. I have enough Guants to swarm over other Infantry units so I don't need more pie plates around. I do need an answer to Elite Heavy Infantry. My answer is a Hive Tyrant, equipped with the previously mentioned upgrades.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.