Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i wanted to do a different approach to SOB and go all boys. This army can both be good in melee and in shooting. SO tell me what you thing

Inquisitor lord 241
3 crusaders,2 familers, , 3 acoylets(3 power wepons) force wepon, hexagram wards,rosarus
Land raider 258
Extra armor,smoke
9 storm troopers 160
2 melta guns,Priest, power wepon
Rhino 58
Extra armor,smoke
10 storm troopers 120
2 melta guns,
Rhino 58
Extra armor,smoke
10 storm troopers 120
2 melta guns,
Rhino 58
Extra armor,smoke
10 storm troopers 120
2 melta guns,
Rhino 58
Extra armor,smoke
3 pentine engines 240

·
LO Zealot
1,552 Posts
You could maybe drop the storm trooper squad with the preist, and then change the inquistor to a cheap 3 heavy bolter retinue and then get a unit of grey knights in power armour to go in the land raider, its just that the inquisitor retinue isnt really very good at shooting or at close combat, a unit of grey knights would be better for a mix of assaulting and shooting.

·
Bugs'r us!
1,242 Posts
Except for the fact that you'd lose the PE's by dropping the priest... Though I have to be honest this wouldn't be the way I'd build an all boys list.

I'd take smaller IST squads. For an example:
5 IST +2 Melta
Rhino (ea & smokes)
Makes 128 points.

Maybe even drop 2 rhino's and add an inducted guard squad. Attach the priest to the pcs with a bunch of flamers in a chimera. Take 2 lascannon IG squads and take 2 chimera for the ist to borrow.
You'll be looking at 400 pts in IST (20 + 8 melta) +2 rhino and about 355 in guardsman (25 + 4 flamer and 2 lascannon) with 3 chimera's. Add a pw to the pcs squad and the priest with maybe a pw, or just a plasma gun. If you take the plasma gun switch the pcs flamers with plasma's and lose the pw on the junior officer. With the 5 chimera fire points it'll be a nice 5 plasma's comming out of the top. Though it's about 55 points more expensive then the 2 pw's.
Personally I wouldn't bother with the pw's as you'll only be able to do anything against low initiative and t4 or lower...

I'd also suggest to lose the LR or take 2. Imho, drop him. It's a lovely tank in a different list. Put him in a chimera, maybe switch for guns, but if you want him in cc I'd change it to:

Inquisitor lord + Evis/PW + pistol, 3 crusaders, 1 familiar , 3 acoylets(3 power wepons + 3 mancatchers), 2/3 Chirurgeons.
241 if you take an evis and 3 Chirurgeons.

Take a rhino or chimera as transport and you'll do decent.

Add an other PE and run them in 1 squad of 2 and 2 squads of 1.

That's roughly 1500 points.

If you don't want to use the guardsmen you have about 400pts to spare on 2 more rhino's and maybe more PE's/arco's (yes everybody says they suck, but next to pe's they'll probably arrive with the current running rules...).
Though I have to say you probably won't beat down competitive list with this, but you'll probably have a good time playing it :)

Keep in minds these are only suggestions, do with them as you please.

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i got the land raider for the 18" charge with the units as it is an assault vehicle. I also like bigger squads then smaller ones(just a thing i have). I also don't see how my lords squad will be crap in combat, 18 pw attacks and 5 Force weapon attacks. I will test this out and see what comes of it. Also for kill points is the retinue and the lord count as one or 2? Also does a priest counts as a KP to. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I also don't see how my lords squad will be crap in combat, 18 pw attacks and 5 Force weapon attacks.
Inquisitor lord 241
3 crusaders,2 familers, , 3 acoylets(3 power wepons) force wepon, hexagram wards,rosarus
You don't need more then 1 familiar unless you plan on taking a bunch of psychic powers because once an Inq gets a stat up, he keeps it even if it's dead.

It looks good on paper, but here's the problem with a Melee Inquisitor: Strength 3, which means on MEQ you need 5s to wound. I tried an Inq build that used 3 Crusaders, 2 churgeons, a servo skull, Scourging, and Hammerhand. I'll admit I liked it, but I feel that it could've been better. The irony is the crusaders were more useful in the shooting phase thanks to the 4+ invul and the Inquisitor did most of the work in the assault phase because it needed 2s, but even that wasn't a power weapon.

I keep experimenting with Inquisitors and really wish that I could take WH henchmen with a DH Inquisitor. Inq Lord in termi with 2 Lightning Claws, 3 crusaders, 2 Churgeons, and a Familiar, then take a GM (or BC depending on points) and put them all in an LRC. I think that would be awesome.

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But guys remember, allot of army's have str 3 power weapon attacks, such as banshees, for elder. I think on average you should get 3-6 wounds on mec with the 23 attacks. Which in my opinion sounds good. 3-6 mec kills on the charge is alot for a squad of 10 marines which cost around 200 points.. But once again i need to test this against my friends Ilyander army but there toughness 6 so it will be alot tougher XD. So if it can work on wraith guard, it will work on mec for sure.

·
Bugs'r us!
1,242 Posts
To be honest. Eldar has some other nice tricks up there sleeves, they don't just have Str 3 but also a lot of Initiative which helps killing stuff before it kills you. The unit will be decent at killing artillery and guardsman. But against marines it'll start to hurt as you'll take wounds before get to deal them, and with every wound you take, you lose attacks...

Against marines 23 attacks will make about 4 wounds. (if ALL survive) against Iyanden you'll make about 2 if all survive. The problem is if you're lucky you'll kill a a squad then get charged by something made for cc and it'll destroy the unit with ease. It might be a decent unit against termi unit's with their initiative of one, but as my experience tells me. Stay away from cc Inq's if you really want to go cc try the unit I suggest

Inquisitor lord + Evis/PW + pistol, 3 crusaders, 1 familiar , 3 acoylets(3 power wepons + 3 mancatchers), 2/3 Chirurgeons.
241 if you take an evis and 3 Chirurgeons.

You won't be devastating in cc but you have a fair amount of staying power against non combat specialized units. If you want the LR for the 18" charge it's doable, just don't expect it to move more than once...

Kill points:

=I= Lord 1
Retinue 1
Priest 1

I understand the want for big squads, but do you have a purpose for that? I just see 5 more wounds and 50 more points on a double melta gun...

·
464 Posts
I would most likely drop the Land Raider and take more PE's. Three just is not enough as they will most likely die before they ever get close to the enemy. I would also take advantage of Storm Trooper's ability to take plasma guns. As far as the Inquisitor Lord, I would opt for a more shootie Lord as it fits your armies theme a bit more. If you really need to assault then use a ton of PE's.

·
Registered
319 Posts
It looks good on paper, but here's the problem with a Melee Inquisitor: Strength 3, which means on MEQ you need 5s to wound. I tried an Inq build that used 3 Crusaders, 2 churgeons, a servo skull, Scourging, and Hammerhand. I'll admit I liked it, but I feel that it could've been better. The irony is the crusaders were more useful in the shooting phase thanks to the 4+ invul and the Inquisitor did most of the work in the assault phase because it needed 2s, but even that wasn't a power weapon.
I found this too true also, however after many a playtest I now take my Inq with an eviscerator and use the psychic power his will be done give him a rosarius because he's striking last, and make sure he has 3 acolytes in power armour, with mancatchers and a pair of chirurgeons, the rest of the retinue depends on the role he is playing as he can make a good cc unit or ranged fire base.

this build ensures 7 wounds in CC can be averted (3 allocated to power armoured acolytes, 3 attacks denied by mancatchers and 1 simply ignored even if its instant death)

leaving his (measly, yes) 3 attacks (4 when assaulting) instant killing T3 characters but still being able to wound bigger, tougher foes and mincing vehicles.
this was mostly because, when facing tyranid MC's, armour value walkers, daemon princes, wraithlords, etc S3 renders armour piercing useless even if it is on the business end of a force sword..... and said sword isn't much use when your praying to cause just one wound.... on a 6 to kill your foe, when you can more easily hit and wound with all 3 attacks (counting as 6 towards combat resolution... or 8! when assaulting)

my favourite scenario is up against a single monstous creature with 4 very high strength attacks, i reduce him to 1A XD and any wounds i dont inflict usually get lost to them being fearless losers of combat, and all his 1 attack does each turn (even if directed towards my Inq) only kills an acolyte.... nid players get quite a shock.... so to wraithlords....... dark eldar talos..... penitent engines (if facing a rougue inquisitor)...... dreadnoughts...... deffdreads....... the list goes on.... not forgetting instant death on all t3 characters..... food for thought

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.