Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have three Tournaments coming up soon, all at 1500 points. One of them forbids using Witch Hunters as Allies, so I have chosen to run a pure Grey Knight list for all three.

HQ
Brother Captain, Psycannon
Retinue of 4 Terminators, 1 with Psycannon

Troops
Justicar, Psycannon Bolts, Melta Bombs + 7 Grey Knights

Fast Attack
Justicar, Psycannon Bolts, Melta Bombs + 5 Grey Knights, 1 with Incinerator

Heavy Support
2 Land Raiders with Extra Armour and Smoke

Total 1496 points

Grey Knight Troops start in Land Raiders. List employs Water Warrior style, with the HQ and Fast Attack deep striking / foot slogging as appropriate. I could drop the Troops down to Justicar + 6 and add 2 extra Grey Knights to the Fast Attack making it Justicar + 7 (I'm thinking a larger deep strike squad may be necessary).

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tend to agree with you, but they are only 5 points each for a total of 15 points (can't buy anything much for that in a Grey Knights list) plus they are there 'just in case'.

I will probably also give the Justicars and Brother Captain frag grenades, bringing the army list to 1500 points. Again, just in case.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Three things about Your list.

a. Why do You spend 30 points on Psycannon bolts? Did You have good use of them before? I never thought that for two shots this AP4 instead of 5 was worth it. And my main problem is with cover saves not with invulnerable saves. Also melta bombs are very special... apart from some very special cases, those one bombs/turn are like russian rulett. If You drop these, then You'll gain 45 points, Which is almost enough for the 2 more GK-s.

b. You will have a real bad time if You don't start in Your game. You just put down the two LR-s with the guys inside them, and then Your opponent starts to set up. If he starts, he can shoot You with everything he's got and with some luck...

c. Why LR-s and not LRC-s? If you use them to move Your troops, then You can only shoot one laser (if You move 6" or less), or You cannot shoot at all. Instead of it, with the crusader, You could shoot the hell out of him. The MM+Assaultcannon is also real good against heavy armor, almost better then the lasers.

... Apart from these, I like Your list. Tell us about the results.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The Land Raiders are started behind cover denying LOS to the opponent. Most of the time I would choose to go second, meaning his first turn is spent moving (nothing to shoot at) then I have the options, either

1. Move out of cover and shoot with the Lascannons (couldn't do this with a Crusader, lack of range).
2. Move to again deny LOS (or probably a combination of 1 and 2).
3. Move, deploy the Grey Knights and use the Land Raider as a screen (blow smoke).

The Psycannon Bolts are there as a bit of extra stopping power. I agree that you would gain 45 points by dropping these plus the Melta Bombs, but that is only 1 Grey Knight. So, you are swopping 8 S4 AP5 shots (3 Justicars + 1 'extra' Grey Knight) for 6 S4 AP4 shots that ignore invulnerable saves. In my opinion, and I may be wrong, these 6 AP4 shots will kill more.

However, these are only my thoughts based on limited outings with my Grey Knights.

·
Registered
239 Posts
HQ

No problems here

Troops

Not too bad, though maybe drop Melta boms??

Fast Attack

Drop Meltas and Incinerator, along with dropping above Meltabombs you'll get another Grey Knight in here

Heavy Support

Your going for one of those lists eh??

Total 1496 points

For pure Grey Knights I dont think its toooo bad, though like all Puritans your going to struggle like hell

If I were going for a Raider list I would proberly go for another Raider in there just to beef up vehical count and anti-tank, but then again pray you dont go against Eldar or Dark Eldar (i hate lances..........)

·
596 Posts
I see what you are trying to do, but I think that it can be done better.

It looks like you have taken a 1000pt Water army and added 500pts of extra bits. Every point counts in a GK list... even a water warrior list.
If you intend to run a couple of Land Raiders, then consider adding another one for redundency.
You will have to drop the GKTs and make your 3 PAGK squads 7 strong. You could take a BC with psycannon as HQ and you will have 35 points left for psybolts or other frilly bits.

This, I think, would work better as a WWArmy.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
HQ

Troops

Fast Attack

Heavy Support

Total 1496 points
Well, overall it's a pretty good list. I'll break down my suggestions by section:

HQ - Perfect.

Heavy Support - Perfect for the style of list you're going for.

Troops/Fast Attack - I'd set them up like this:
T1 - Justicar + 7 Grey Knights (1 w/ Incinerator)
T2 - Justicar + 7 Grey Knights (1 w/ Incinerator)
FA - Justicar + 6 Grey Knights

The squads in the LRs are much more likely to get good template placement than a deep-striking squad, since you have no teleport homers, and this will give you more AP4 hits than the psycannon bolts will, and at higher strength as well! Furthermore, it gives you some means to dislodge units from cover. Note that you can tank-shock an enemy unit into a line, packing them together for some Incineration. You also get another Grey Knight in the Fast Attack squad, which is a good thing. This setup leaves you with 10 points to spare, which I'd probably use on a teleport homer on one of the Troops squads, though that's of course up to you. The Melta Bombs are not terribly useful, methinks. One close-combat-based Melta Bomb attack isn't going to do anything that 4 godhammer pattern lascannons won't =).

Cheers, and good hunting!

-H

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I cannot stretch to 3 Land Raiders at the moment (cost wise that is).

The other reason for fielding GKT is that I have 5 really well painted ones and hate to see them on the sidelines, even though they have proved utterly useless in past games.

I like your ideas Hasten regarding reorganising the PAGK squads. The Incinerator idea, I presume, being to tank shock the opponent, they jump out of the way into a straight line, then you jump out and incinerate them. Sounds good to me.

I do have a GK Dreadnought with ML + TLLC fully painted if anyone can see a way of working this into the list (with extra armour and smoke launchers it is 148 points).

With foot slogging Grey Knights, plus an Inquisitor with shooty retinue I have never come close to winning (3 x 1500 point games, all heavy defeats for me). So, I can't get any worse by trying out Land Raiders. It's going to be a long hard slog perfecting the GK tactics ;o

·
596 Posts
I cannot stretch to 3 Land Raiders at the moment (cost wise that is).

The other reason for fielding GKT is that I have 5 really well painted ones and hate to see them on the sidelines, even though they have proved utterly useless in past games.
Those are the best reasons not to consider my suggestions.

So, I will have to agree with Hastens comments... I seem to be doing this quite a lot lately.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.