Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I'm fairly new to 40k and this is my first go at a 1500 point IG list. Ive used this army only against my mates marines army in a couple of friendlies so far and havn't done to bad.

Please let me know what you think.

1500 IG

(Command HQ) HQ platoon
JO w/ Honorifica Imperialis, PW
Vet w/ standard
Guardsman w/ Laspistol, ccw
Lascannon
106 points

(troop 1) Platoon HQ
JO w/ laspistol, ccw
4 guardsmen with laspistol, ccw
40 points

squad 1
Heavy Bolter
Plasma gun
80 points

squad 2
Heavy Bolter
Plasma gun
80 points

squad 3
Autocannon
Melta gun
85 points

squad 4
Lascannon
Grenade Launcher
93 points

(troop 2) Armoured Fist
Doctrine Die Hard
Vet Serg w/ bolt pistol, ccw, melta bombs
Melta gun
Chimera w/ Multi laser, Hull heavy bolter, smoke
175 points

(Elite 1) Storm Troopers
Vet Serg w/ PW
Flamer
grenade Launcher
125 points

(Elite 2) Ogryns
5 Ogryns
Bone'ead
135 points

(Elite 3) Independant Commissars
Commissar w/ Bolt pistol, PW
Commissar w/ PF
126 points

(Heavy 1) Leman Russ w/ lascannon, Heavy bolters

(Heavy 2) Leman Russ w/ Lascannon, Heavy Bolters

(Heavy 3) Basilisk w/ earthshaker

Total 1500

Doct
Ind Commissars
Ogryns
Stormtroopers
Close Order Drill
Die Hard (Armoured Fist)

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Hi All

I'm fairly new to 40k and this is my first go at a 1500 point IG list. Ive used this army only against my mates marines army in a couple of friendlies so far and havn't done to bad.

hi and welcome, lets see then, first point, you should state doctrines up front, it saves confusion
1500 IG

(Command HQ) HQ platoon
Vet w/ standard
Lascannon
106 points
ok so we are going for command bubbles around the officers as opposed to voxes, fine, although to be honest, commisars then become exceedingly useful
(troop 1) Platoon HQ
JO w/ laspistol, ccw
40 points
gah ok this is why commisars are usefull, the leadership bubble around your hq command squad is not big enoug for your whole army, you need to provide leadership from ALL your command squads, try adding atleast trademark items to these squads, although frankly another commisar would be most usefull, particularly with powerfists, also these are a good source of special weapons, be worth adding some
squad 1
Heavy Bolter
Plasma gun
80 points

squad 2
Heavy Bolter
Plasma gun
80 points

squad 3
Autocannon
Melta gun
85 points

squad 4
Lascannon
Grenade Launcher
93 points
wid erange of guns there, a bit concerned about the special weapons match with the auto cannon, but against unknown opponents, not bad, but still looking for more anti tank
(troop 2) Armoured Fist
Doctrine Die Hard
Melta gun
175 points
ok, but dont expect these to take anything on, they should really be a static fire base, which moves to capture a free objective at the end of the game, as such add a special weapon
(Elite 1) Storm Troopers
Vet Serg w/ PW
Flamer
grenade Launcher
125 points
weapons straight out the kasrkin box, waste, give them some decent special weapons, plasma leaps to mind, or melta if youare going tank hunting with deep strike
(Elite 2) Ogryns
5 Ogryns
Bone'ead
135 points
why? I mean any particular reason? not daying dont, there is atleast one use that leaps to mind, just wandering what you have in mind
Commissar w/ PF
126 points
please tell me atleast on of these goes with platoon 1 HQ?

Total 1500

Doct
Ind Commissars
Ogryns
Stormtroopers
Close Order Drill
Die Hard (Armoured Fist)
hmm, a bit low on AT unless you use the Russes for that, and that would be a waste, I would drop some inf squads, probable the storm troopers first acually to get some AT either in the form of heavy weapons squads attatched to your HQ or sentinels with las/HK, butoverall not bad at all

·
Registered
762 Posts
The best advice i could give you is just go through your army list and think the following about each unit
hmmmm

1. what do i want this to do?

2. Will this unit be able to do this effectivley?

3. Do the weapons i have this unit equiped with help it achieve what i want it to do?

4. Is there to much of this kind of unit in my army?

5. Will this unit make its points back?

heres an example

squad 1-
1. Heavy bolter and plasma gun? anti infantry...
2. Yes as long as i keep the unit static it will be able to keep pain on infantry in range
3. Yes thats what those heavy/special weapons do
4. no thers a good balance of this kind of unit in this army
5. most of the time it will

I think you get the idea
nice start with the list

·
2,399 Posts
Me (And My resons in italics)

Hi All

Get leman russes. Kills marines. Ho Ho Ho.

1500 IG

(Command HQ) HQ platoon
Vet w/ standard
Lascannon
106 points

Nice, Good start, but i'd drop the lascannon for a melta gun - you don't want it shooting heavy weapons - that means it's shootable and stationary. Maybe frag grenades for assaulting into cover

(troop 1) Platoon HQ
JO w/ laspistol, ccw
40 points

If you want. frag grenades?

squad 1
Heavy Bolter
Plasma gun
80 points

Excellent. no further comment required

squad 2
Heavy Bolter
Plasma gun
80 points

ditto

squad 3
Autocannon
Melta gun
85 points

I'd give this meltagun to the above JO command squad. It's a assault weapon, and gives them anti-tank ability.

squad 4
Lascannon
Grenade Launcher
93 points

Personally i'd give this grenade launcher to the autocannon squad, and not equip this with a special weapon.

(troop 2) Armoured Fist
Doctrine Die Hard
Melta gun
175 points

Well done indeed. Power weapon instead of bolt pistol would be better, but that's 4 points from somewhere. It's up to you.

(Elite 1) Storm Troopers
Vet Serg w/ PW
Flamer
grenade Launcher
125 points

Remove flamer & Gr Launcher. Hemmorage money for Melta/plasmas. (I was irate you coldn't convert them using marine plastics. they do look good though. If i close my eyes they're three pound coins on top of a 50p each. GAAH!)

(Elite 2) Ogryns
5 Ogryns
Bone'ead
135 points

Commissar w/ PF
126 points

Each to their own. I seriously dislike the 20% extra cost, but if it rocks your boat. It also cuts into a elite choice - a 5 man Vet squad with a lascannon costs 70 points, and they infiltrate (deploy after opponent puts down his shiny tanks / transports / Speeders) and have a BS of 4. Sweet.

Ah, my condolences. Take those Lascannons off and replace with a 3rd heavy bolter if you can (although 1 less STR than a las, you roll 2 die and choose for Penetration. You also get to use the much more effective Ordenance damage chart. = shoot tanks with battlecannon.

Total 1500

Doct
Ind Commissars
Ogryns
Stormtroopers
Close Order Drill
Die Hard (Armoured Fist)
Stop with the independant commissars, get iron discipline.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheredanine, stayscrunchyinmilk, sendaf - thanks for your comments - i found them very helpful..

..just a couple of questions you guys may be able to answer..

Question 1

(troop 2) Armoured Fist
Doctrine Die Hard
Melta gun
175 points

Well done indeed. Power weapon instead of bolt pistol would be better, but that's 4 points from somewhere. It's up to you.

I thought you couldn't buy a PW for a non officer serg unless he is a rough rider or storm trooper serg?

Question 2

Heavy 1) Leman Russ w/ lascannon, Heavy bolters

Ah, my condolences. Take those Lascannons off and replace with a 3rd heavy bolter if you can (although 1 less STR than a las, you roll 2 die and choose for Penetration. You also get to use the much more effective Ordenance damage chart. = shoot tanks with battlecannon.

My understanding is a Lascannon is Str 9 and Heavy bolter is Str 5, and I'm not sure how come I get to roll 2 dice for Penetration. But I can see the point in getting rid of the Las, as If I fire the Ordenance Battle Cannon I cant use the Las anyway.

Question 3

hmm, a bit low on AT unless you use the Russes for that, and that would be a waste, I would drop some inf squads, probable the storm troopers first acually to get some AT either in the form of heavy weapons squads attatched to your HQ or sentinels with las/HK, butoverall not bad at all

I agree with the above, except if I take HW as support squads for my HQ - cant the enemy target the HW squads alone? I thought that by putting HW in my normal squads it would be providing them with meat shields.

Question 4

Whats the best use for Ogryns? I was going to use them as defence against deep strikers etc are they worth having in an army?

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Cheredanine, stayscrunchyinmilk, sendaf - thanks for your comments - i found them very helpful..

..just a couple of questions you guys may be able to answer..

Question 1

(troop 2) Armoured Fist
Doctrine Die Hard
Melta gun
175 points

I thought you couldn't buy a PW for a non officer serg unless he is a rough rider or storm trooper serg?
or unless he has an honorifica,
you are correct
Question 2

Heavy 1) Leman Russ w/ lascannon, Heavy bolters

My understanding is a Lascannon is Str 9 and Heavy bolter is Str 5, and I'm not sure how come I get to roll 2 dice for Penetration. But I can see the point in getting rid of the Las, as If I fire the Ordenance Battle Cannon I cant use the Las anyway.
I dont necessarily agree with the point he was making which was: if you shoot at tanks, use the battle cannon,if youshoot at light infantry 3 heavy bolters, las cannon is a waste then however, inclined to leave it myself as weapon destroyed seems to happen a fair few times, and I bet your opponent wont pick a heavy bolter over the battle cannon, hence the with the las cannon you canstill shoot tanks
Question 3

I agree with the above, except if I take HW as support squads for my HQ - cant the enemy target the HW squads alone? I thought that by putting HW in my normal squads it would be providing them with meat shields.
yep, more effective = easier to kill, if you candeploy them in cover it helps mind
Question 4

Whats the best use for Ogryns? I was going to use them as defence against deep strikers etc are they worth having in an army?
in the majority of cases, no, the str of IG is the fire power, anything that detracts from it is bad, hence compartively expensive ogryin reduces your guns with no firepower benefit, equally they remain not a match for most assault squads, hence dont give you much non shooting benefit, but they can work in some cases

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.