heavy support: zoanthropes (2# 130 pts)
both have warp blast, 1 has synapse creature and the other has psychic scream

heavy support: Carnifex (1# 183 pts)
Enhanced senses
Bonded exoskeleton
Reinforced chitin
Barbed Strangler
Venom Cannon

This Army is for friendly games and tourniments. I have 153 points left which I want to spend on a hive Tyrant but what do you guys think I should spend the points on?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Suggestions:
HQ:
Great so far, would add another walking tyrant (ES, 2*tl dev, TS)
Elite:
Would switch from devourers&ST to tl dev, much better IMO. Would also suggest you add enhanced senses if you havn't already (but forgotten to write it in your post)
Troops:
Add one more unit of genestealers, or drop them all and go for raveners w/ RC in fast attack slots
FA:
havn't tried flying rippers, though I don't think you need them (mainly for tying up units quickly, which your hormagaunts can already do, and your spinegaunts will be able to reinforce shortly thereafter)
I'd suggest raveners w/ RC.
HS:
Looks good, though you should drop psychic scream off the zoanthrope, it's really not that good unless you have 4-5 of them in your army. would replace with synapse, just in case.
Carnifex works, if you could skimp some of the upgrades and use some leftover points to get another one, you'd be better off against armor though.

Just suggestions. In short though: add a dakkatyrant (better than the dakkafex if you don't have the points) and a sniperfex. You could skip the upgrades on the sniperfex and exchange the hormagaunts for spinegaunts if you want extra points to do this(and if you want fast units, adding scuttlers to spinegaunts makes up for the shorter charge range... sort of.)

·
Registered
576 Posts
@bug commander An unupgraded Broodlord with minimum retinue or another Tyrant (walking), Raveners or Gargoyles or Hormagaunts would be in order. Good army, by the way

@pen: psychic scream is actually pretty good. A Space marine tactical squad with 5 marines will get LD 3 compared to leadership 8. if you shoot a barbed strangler at them, they are probably pinned. YAY!

·
Registered
106 Posts
@pen: psychic scream is actually pretty good. A Space marine tactical squad with 5 marines will get LD 3 compared to leadership 8. if you shoot a barbed strangler at them, they are probably pinned. YAY!
I know, but only having 1 in your army is a waste of points. then synapse is a much better choice.

·
BANANA!
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already have a sniper fex and a Flyrant/dakkatyrant but I will see what other people think about taking away the flying rippers and adding another brood of genestealers. I think I will add the Enhanced senses to the Warriors.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I like the Flying Rippers, they're Garygoyles with 2 more wounds, 2 less BS, and no bio plasma. Wait, oh i didnt see this:

Your warriors need to be close combat or shooting, not both. if you want them close combat, consider wings or leaping. Or, for shooting, just get 2 deathspitters (twinlinked) or 2 devourers (twinlinked again). I recommend Deathspitters. +1 strength, no scattering the blast marker, ability to hit more models, and AP 5. Devourers are better on Tyrants or Carnifexes. Also, always get Enhanced Senses, BS 2 will not hit a lot if you have shooty warriors.

·
BANANA!
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your warriors need to be close combat or shooting, not both. if you want them close combat, consider wings or leaping. Or, for shooting, just get 2 deathspitters (twinlinked) or 2 devourers (twinlinked again).
It does not say in the codex that you can have twin linked death spitters or devourers;?.
If you have two shooting weapons on a Warrior it can only shoot one per a turn. Also, I want them to be flexible against most units. I have added Enhanced senses to my warriors which leaves 147 points left to spent on somthing (I want another Tyrant but I want to see what you guys think).

·
Registered
106 Posts
It does not say in the codex that you can have twin linked death spitters or devourers;?.
If you have two shooting weapons on a Warrior it can only shoot one per a turn. Also, I want them to be flexible against most units. I have added Enhanced senses to my warriors which leaves 147 points left to spent on somthing (I want another Tyrant but I want to see what you guys think).
the codex says that if you buy two of a weapon, it becomes twinlinked instead. I've had great experiences with warriors using twinlinked devourers (toxin sacs, enhanced senses, extended carapace, twinlinked devourers)
edit: And I recommend getting another tyrant.

·
Registered
576 Posts
yeah the rule that getting 2 weapons make it twinlinked is on page 30, first paragraph, last sentence. Consider the Broodlord

·
stupidity just kicked in!
812 Posts
@BUG Your list seems ok. As I stated in your other thread I do like dakka fexes better than dakka warriors when it's about devourers and they cost almost the same so if it is me I'd take dakka fexes and/or deathspitter warriros for shootly options for elite. In your case I'd use spitter warriors with a dakka fex so you have both efficient weapons killing all kinds of infantry (you'll seriously need that in a tournament).
You don't have any fast synapse except for you flyrant. So unless your flyrant want to babysit your homagaunts I'd suggest A: get yourself some flying warriors or B: ditch your homagaunts. A good flying warrior config that have worked for me is the following: warrior, wings, +BS, +S, + TL fleshborers. These are good at taking down AV12 vehicles, saving shots for your sniper fex to shoot at tougher vehicles, against infantry they shoot as hard as dakkafexes but with lesser shots. If you want a more CC version you can use spinefists + rending claws. Still good against AV11 and can assist your homagaunts in CC if needed.
Or if you choose to ditch the homas you can get another brood of flying rippers, I'd use them with +bs and spinefists just 2pts more/model and they can actually do something during the shooting phase (3 S3 shots with re-rolls aren't that bad for that cost). And use your remaining pts to get two more stealer broods.
If you want to go heavy support (predicting to encounter many heavy vehicles) then I'd get another thrope and set all tree with either scream or synapse. Strip your sniper fex of exoskeleton and chitin and make another sniper fex. If the pts aren't enough just remove some gaunts.
For HQ I'd use a walking tyrant over broodlord anytime. As I stated in your previous thread. Broodlords aren't reliable enough to take into a tournament, either they do good or they just die w/o having accomplished anything. Then I'd rather have tyrant that I know can preform every time. I'd tool it with VC and TL devs.

·
BANANA!
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
here is my revised list

HQ:Hive Tyrant (1# 196 pts)
Enhanced senses
Toxin sacs
Winged
twin-linked devourers
twin-linked devourers
Warp Field

HQ:Hive Tyrant (1# 164)
Enhanced senses
Toxin sacs
Twin-linked devourers
Barbed strangler
Psychic scream

Retinue:Tyrant guard (1# 45)

Elite: carnifex (1# 113 pts)
Enhanced senses
twin-linked devourers
twin-linked devourers

troops: spinegaunts (12# 60 pts)
spinefists

spinefists

troops: hormagaunts (12# 120 pts)

troops: genestealers (8# 160 pts)
extended carpace

extended carpace

Elite: warriors (3# 135 pts)
3 warriors:
winged, enhanced senses, extended carpace, twin linked Flesh Borers

Enhanced senses
Bonded exoskeleton
Reinforced chitin
Barbed Strangler
Venom Cannon

I have 146 points to lose, do you guys know how to lose them? Maybe get rid of the warriors and a few upgrades?

·
Registered
106 Posts
here is my revised list

HQ:Hive Tyrant (1# 196 pts)
Enhanced senses
Toxin sacs
Winged
twin-linked devourers
twin-linked devourers
Warp Field

HQ:Hive Tyrant (1# 164)
Enhanced senses
Toxin sacs
Twin-linked devourers
Barbed strangler
Psychic scream

Retinue:Tyrant guard (1# 45)

Elite: carnifex (1# 113 pts)
Enhanced senses
twin-linked devourers
twin-linked devourers

spinefists

spinefists

extended carpace

extended carpace
Good setup, though I'd drop psychic scream on the tyrant and zoanthrope, or add a zoanthrope and put psychic scream on all three zoanthropes and the walking tyrant.
Elite: warriors (3# 135 pts)
3 warriors:
winged, enhanced senses, extended carpace, twin linked Flesh Borers
Not that good, I'd say go with twinlinked devourers and toxin sacs (if they're winged you want to be close enough to support your hormagaunts with synapse, but not close enough to get charged by other units ***deathspitters are good too, I guess, but if they're winged you might as well get the devourers as range is not a big problem***)

Enhanced senses
Bonded exoskeleton
Reinforced chitin
Barbed Strangler
Venom Cannon

I have 146 points to lose, do you guys know how to lose them? Maybe get rid of the warriors and a few upgrades?
Your warriors are important since you need synapse for your hormagaunts in case the opponent manages to kill the flyrant&tyrant early.
I suggest you take away all the defensive upgrades on the carnifex, get yourself another carnifex, then add another zoanthrope with the leftover points.
Either have at least 4 creatures with psychic scream, or skip it.

·
BANANA!
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@ pen, If I do what you have said I still need to lose 112 points.

I'm also a bit low on numbers.

·
Registered
106 Posts
@ pen, If I do what you have said I still need to lose 112 points.

I'm also a bit low on numbers.
Ah, sorry, I read your post quite hastily, I thought you HAD 146p to spare.
Hmm.. In that case I'd suggest taking spinegaunts instead of hormagaunts (costs 120p less that way).

What models do you have access to though? I don't want to suggest changes that might cost you hundreds of dollars/pounds!

Edit: After some calculating:
Add: zoanthrope, warp blast, psychic scream
Skip: the upgrades on the carnifex, the tyrant guard
Switch from fleshborers to tl devourers&toxin sacs on warriors, take synapse OR psychic scream on all the zoanthopes (only one with synapse if you MUST have it).
My calculations makes that 1466p
could be wrong though...

·
BANANA!
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I only have one of the models that I have in this army (the sniperfex), but I am covered completly with money

·
Registered
106 Posts
then my previous post holds some minor changes that'll put the list below 1500p
If you skip the hormagaunts and use spinegaunts instead you won't need wings on your warriors (instead wielding toxin sacs, enhanced senses, extended carapace and tl devourers in my calculations)
that way, if you take away the tyrant guard and add a zoanthrope your list will look like this:

HQ:
HQ:Flyrant 196p
HQ:Tyrant 164p
Elite:
warriors(setup in post):114p
carnifex:113p
Troops:
4*12spinegaunts:240p
2*8genestealers(EC):320p
HS:
sniperfex:148p
3*Zoanthrope:195p
Total:1490p~

·
812 Posts
well considered the amount of devourers bug already have he really need those fleshbourers to take out low AV vehicles. With another brood of devourers he'll just get some low S shots that bug already have lots of (from spinegaunts). 3 flying fleshborer warriors get 6 S6 shots with re-roll. That's a threat to any AV12 or lower vehicle and with wings bug can easily pick side armors to shoot at.
But I agree on the point about using spinegaunts instead of homagaunts. That means that the warriors won't need to babysit the gaunts and can move more freely and it won't matter if they get killed.
I'm not sure what you see in using the strangler with a tyrant but I'd not waste a good 3A statistic on an assault 1 weapon. So I'd give the walking tyrant a VC.
If it were me though I'd remove both homagaunts broods and get another stealer brood and up the spinegaunts with the pts left.
Oh and Bug winged warriors are fast attack not elite.

·
Registered
106 Posts
well considered the amount of devourers bug already have he really need those fleshbourers to take out low AV vehicles. With another brood of devourers he'll just get some low S shots that bug already have lots of (from spinegaunts). 3 flying fleshborer warriors get 6 S6 shots with re-roll. That's a threat to any AV12 or lower vehicle and with wings bug can easily pick side armors to shoot at.
Then he might as well take a sniperfex, it costs as much and 12" range + 5+Armour makes them easy targets. Without the hormagaunts, fast synapse is not required (flyrant takes care of fleeting gaunts until the rest arrives, easily)
Warriors: hen they have hit (75% of the shots, ~4-5) they have a 1/6 chance of glancing AV12.
Carnifex: (50% of the shots, ~2 - one BS and one VC, or 2 VC). 1/3 to glance with BS, 2/3 to glance with VC.

But I agree on the point about using spinegaunts instead of homagaunts. That means that the warriors won't need to babysit the gaunts and can move more freely and it won't matter if they get killed.
I'm not sure what you see in using the strangler with a tyrant but I'd not waste a good 3A statistic on an assault 1 weapon. So I'd give the walking tyrant a VC.
If it were me though I'd remove both homagaunts broods and get another stealer brood and up the spinegaunts with the pts left.
Oh and Bug winged warriors are fast attack not elite.
Indeed, VC would be better. S8 is good.

·
812 Posts
@PEN: Yeah a sniper fex would be better taking out single vehicles. But a squad of landspeeders/vypers/warwalkers etc etc warriors are better as they can take out more models than a sniper fex. Flying warriors can pick out side/rare armor of heavier vehicles making them able to do damage to them too. I agree that those warriors usefulness are limited, but they're pretty good at what they do. In a tournament you can't have two sniper fexes shoot at the same landspeeder squad because one doesn't fire enough amount of shots to take them down.
Oh well I can't say that what you say is wrong. Just different strategies and different opinions.

·
BANANA!
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here is another revised list:

HQ: Hive Tyrant (1# 196 pts)
Enhanced senses
Toxin sacs
Winged
twin-linked devourers
twin-linked devourers
Warp Field