Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My main armies are Skaven and Chaos so this is all new to me. I have been playing about with lists and have come up with this army. Please critique with any thoughts. I want a balanced list that can take on anything; I hate tailoring lists to specific armies!

Characters:
Captain/Pegasus/Plate/Lance/Shield/Pistol

(March blocker/support charger - Wish this didnt have to be general but it's only option I can think of.... I absolutely love using a character like this and always do with elves/DE etc)

Battle Wiz - Level 1 - !x Dispel (Caddy... Wanted a Warrior priet here but felt dispel scroll was needed sadly)

Core:

24 Swordsman, Full Command
Detach 1: 5x Handgunners
Detach 2: 12x Halberdiers

20 Halberdiers
Detach 1: 10x Xbow
Detach 2: 5 Gunners

10 Handgunners, champ with long rifle
Detach 1: 5x free comp
Detach 2: 5x Free Comp (both as screens/annoyances)

10 Handgunners

5 Knights, Musician (Will be played like fast cavalry - Flanks)

Special:

Mortar

Cannon

5x Outriders (will sprint for a flank/Cover on turn one and reform so they are facing inwards then shoot fiery doom at people - hopefully hiding behind something)

Rare:

15 Flagellants (Swamp)

With a little jiggery pokery, this comes to 1500pts. I would love to drop the wizard for a WP but I think i need the scroll. I would also like to get some Greatwords in *(I have a unit painted) but dont see what I can drop from special as I love the outriders.

Was also thinking maybe swap flaggellants for a hellstorm or Hellblaster.

Any comments/suggestions greatly appreciated.

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
Characters:
Captain/Pegasus/Plate/Lance/Shield/Pistol

Battle Wiz - Level 1 - !x Dispel (Caddy... Wanted a Warrior priet here but felt dispel scroll was needed sadly) you must have a lot of ubermagic players in your club. I'd still try it with the warrior priest (grt wpn and armor of meteoric iron) or something.

Core:

24 Swordsman, Full Command
Detach 1: 5x HandgunnersI'd bump these guys up to 8 strong, and maybe drop one of the other detachments. you're going to have a hard time deploying all these shooters effeciently..
Detach 2: 12x Halberdiersbump these guys down to 9 swordsmen

20 Halberdiers
Detach 1: 10x Xbow
Detach 2: 5 Gunners

10 Handgunners, champ with long rifle
Detach 1: 5x free comp
Detach 2: 5x Free Comp (both as screens/annoyances)

10 Handgunners

5 Knights, Musician (Will be played like fast cavalry - Flanks)

Special:

Mortar

Cannon

5x Outriders (will sprint for a flank/Cover on turn one and reform so they are facing inwards then shoot fiery doom at people - hopefully hiding behind something)I'd drop one of your other shooty units and just use these guys. They shoot 3x as much and hit better. Don't move or hide them, let them sit there and fire.

Rare:

15 Flagellants (Swamp)

I know shooting tends to win smaller games, but I think you may have too much. Unless your field is wide open, you may have problems deploying it all and you have very few combat units. The ones you do have aren't that great. (none of them are that great) If you go with the warrior priest, you can make him your general (I think he's an 8) and he can sit back and babysit while the captain goes wild.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thanks to the comments of the above poster, I have had a slight rethink.

Army now is:

Warrior Priest, Hvy Arm, GW, Shield, Gen

Captain, Pegasus, Plate, pistol, Enchanted Shield, Lance

Core:

25 Swordsman- Full Command
- 10 Halb
- 5 Free Company

15 Flagellants

5 Knights - Musician

10 Xbows

10 Handgunners - Marksman with hchland
- 5x FC
- 5x FC

10x Handgunners

Special:

mortar/Cannon (one of these- any ideas for most balanced?)

17 Greatswords (go with WP) - Full Command
- 8 Halb
- 5x FC

5x outriders - Musician

Only problem I can see with this is one one warmachine and lack of magic/support.

Would it be better to drop some gunners for a hellstorm/hellblaster?

This army is a sit back and counter charge one

Thanks in advance

Hobo

Thanks in advance

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
Warrior Priest, Hvy Arm, GW, Shield, Gen i'd still try to get the armor of meteoric iron - its a lot better save and only 30something points

Captain, Pegasus, Plate, pistol, Enchanted Shield, Lance

Core:

25 Swordsman- Full Command
- 10 Halb
- 5 Free Company

15 Flagellants

5 Knights - Musician

10 Xbows

10 Handgunners - Marksman with hchland
- 5x FC
- 5x FC

10x Handgunners

Special:

mortar/Cannon (one of these- any ideas for most balanced?)

17 Greatswords (go with WP) - Full Command
- 8 Halb
- 5x FC

5x outriders - Musician
A lot of it depends on your opponents. So you may be able to give us some imput on that. Usually smaller point battles have less magic (it's expensive) and more shooting (easy panic - easy victory) The decided advantage over most other armies for Empire is their ability to shoot and their detachment system. Swordsmen in my mind are the best and really only troop I will use in an Empire army (besides shooters) because they have the best WS and save, meaning they will last longer or stay on the board. None of the Empire models excepting characters can put up a fight. In my experience a str 4 Halbadier will die more often than he will kill anything. The same can be said of free company or anything else. Swordsmen, aren't meant to kill, but if they can stand and take it and take it on the flank, denying your opponent his rankbonuses, then usually they'll win from combat resolution. The gunners are meant to cause panic tests and whittle down the enemy so you get the outnumber bonus in combat as well.

Cannon is easier to hit with imo, and is really good at taking out monsters/beasts/chariots/warmachines.

Your best magic defense is going to be your hochland longrifle and your captain on pegasus.

I'd not worry too much about lack of magic or big machine support. You have lots of guys on the field which means you can play this like a hordes list and still have lots of decent shooting. At this point level that's pretty good in my opinion. You can use your detachments as screens and then flee the charge and charge with your big blocks of troops and the other detachemtnt if needed. Your shooting is good, magic shouldn't be that effective unless the opponent overloads on it (HE, new VC, etc)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.