Heavy
Wraithlord 155 pts
Bright Lance EML

Wraithlord 130pts
Wraithsword, Star Cannon

Falcon 185pts
Holo Fields, Star Cannon, Pulse Laser, Spirit Stones

1523pts total

I will be doing a slow march up the field with Dire Avengers, Wraithlords and Eldrad. If I am playing a cc opponent I will start retreating when I am 18 inches from the opponent keeping the wraithlords between the opponent and the dire avengers. I have been known to assault with the wraithlord and dire avengers to keep my opponent from having a super assault on me. The Banshees will fly up an edge and get into cc when it is most advantageous (soon vs a shooty army, with the dire avengers or wraithlords vs a cc). Eldrad is the key to this army. He dooms lots of things, guides the shooty wraithlord, falcon, and dire avengers, and mid wars power fists to make my wraithlord indestructible.

Biggest Question
How do I bring it down in points
I realized that the list I have been playing with did not add the points of the exarch for the Dire Avengers. Therefore I am over by 23.

other questions I have
I know the Scorpions are good but is it best to infiltrate them up vs a shooty army even though the rest of my army will take a while to get there? When playing Tau or Guard will they just get really shot up?
I have nothing in the Falcon. Is this the best idea in a game as small as 1k.
Any other thoughts on how I have armed the guys?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Well, for starters, The wraithsword isn't that good of a choice (although I really like the way the model looks with it). You could make the second wraithlord an anti-infantry wraithlord with a shuricannon and a scatterlaser, although this would not help you solve your problem of being over in points.

When I use Eldrad, I generally save him for 2000 point lists, although 3 psychic powers per turn is awesome, you can save some points by taking just a regular farseer. Granted Eldrad provides you with a lot of flexibility in your powers, but 210 points is a lot to spend on 1 character at 1500 points.

Scorpions can infiltrate just fine against shooty armies, you just need to be careful where you place them. Make sure they are behind cover, not just in cover and they should be fine. I usually put them in one of my adjacent table quarters and pounce on anybody that tries to take it from me. Works on just about everybody except chaos armies with lash of submission (which remains to this day my least favorite thing in the entire game).

I think your fine with not putting anything in the falcon. I like to use them as gunships rather than transports, since they have so much firepower, and transporting things will only cause them to draw unhealthy levels of firepower.

To lose 23 points, I'd drop a couple scorpions. while 10 is almost always better, 8 will do just fine in this case. Don't drop any banshees though, since they need all the attacks they can get for their S3 powerswords to be any kind of effective. If you use the scorps as I described above, theres the possibility that they might just spend the entire game just chilling. That's fine, it means the table quarter is yours, but that means that they didn't actually do any fighting and you could have had the same result with 5 (especially if you position them so that they can't get shot). But you still want enough to be able to fight, so 8 seems like a good compromise. Sorry to ramble a bit there.

Hope that helps;Y

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really like Eldrad simply because of the ability to redeploy my forces at the beginning of the game. Some of my stiffest competition in the tourney will come from a Nid and Ork army that can assault 2nd turn if I do not redeploy. I have definitely thought about dropping Eldrad in favor of a Farseer with doom, guide, and mind war on a bike with runes of witnessing and warding.

I don’t know about the sword. It may just be a piece that inspires fear in my opponents. It does always pay for its points by killing another gene stealer or marine before the wraithlord bites it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yeah, the redeploy is nice. I really like Eldrad too, I just tend to be very caustios about investing too many points in one unit (or model as the case might be). If you feel like he's definitely going to be 210 points worth of effectiveness, then by all means keep him. 3 powers per turn is formidable. As for the wraithsword, keep in mind that wraithlords now only have 2 attacks and can get seriously owned by veteran sergants with powerfists. Generally, the only times I (willingly) put my wraithlords in close combat is to tie up a squad that can't hurt it, or to make sure that he won't get shot at by any lascannons and is already practically standing on the objective or in an opponents table quarter (again, only against squads that can't hurt it). Other than that, I think you are far better off equipping wraithlords for anti-armor duties and keep them out of cc.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
HQ Eldrad 210

Troops
10 Dire Avengers 162 pts
Avenger Catipult, Exarch w/ Bladestorm, Defend

10 Dire Avengers 167 pts
Avenger Catipult, Exarch w/ Double Catapult, Bladestorm, Defend

Elites
Banshees 307 pts
Exarch w/ Executioner,
Wave Serpent w/ Scatter Lasers and Spirit Stones

Striking Scorpions 207 pts
Exarch w/ Scorpions Claw, Infiltrate

Heavy
Wraithlord 155 pts
Bright Lance EML

Wraithlord 130pts
Wraithsword, Star Cannon

Falcon 185pts
Holo Fields, Star Cannon, Pulse Laser, Spirit Stones

1523pts total
Personally, I see the answer to your points problem rolled up in one with your anti tank.

The answer? Vibro cannons. Drop the falcon for a single set of 2 vibro cannons, use the points to upgrade your other WL with eml and BL (more pinning is more better).

With the remaining points, buy a shurican vyper for 6th turn speed and grab of points and objectives.

now you havy a fluffy army (dires and guardians with eldrad), hard targets to draw fire (WLs), plenty of anti tank and 4 chances to pin.

Reactions: Lord Spanko

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I ended up doing alright with this list 2 - 1 with pretty tough compitition. I think I finished 3 over all. I just could not take out a drop pod army in my last game.

I am thinking that I might add a vibro cannon, but I didnt relise they are that expensive. $30 for one of them. That leads to $90 for a squad which is a whole heck of a lot of money to me.

I also really liked using the infiltrating scorpions.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
squads of 2 are the right size for the vibro, still small enough to hide, and s5 is dandy vs troops.

Congrates BTW on your tourney, hope you had fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.