Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of starting to play High Elves and this is my first try at putting together a list.

1500 Pts - High Elves

Noble
1 Noble (General; Hand Weapon; Lance)
1 Elven Steed
1 Armour of Caledor
1 Guardian Phoenix

Mage
1 Mage
2 Dispel Scroll

Spearmen
18 Spearmen (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Spear; Light Armour; Shield)
1 Sentinel (Hand Weapon; Spear; Light Armour; Shield)

Archers
16 Archers (Hand Weapon; Longbow)

White Lions of Chrace
9 White Lions of Chrace (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Stubborn)
1 Guardian (Hand Weapon; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour)
1 War Banner

White Lions of Chrace
9 White Lions of Chrace (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Stubborn)
1 Guardian (Hand Weapon; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour)
1 Lion Standard

Dragon Princes
6 Dragon Princes of Caledor (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Barding; Hand Weapon; Lance; Dragon Armour; Shield)
1 Banner of Ellyrion
6 Elven Steed

Repeater Bolt Thrower
1 Repeater Bolt Thrower (Repeater Bolt Thrower)
2 Crew (Hand Weapon; Light Armour)

Repeater Bolt Thrower
1 Repeater Bolt Thrower (Repeater Bolt Thrower)
2 Crew (Hand Weapon; Light Armour)

Any advice that you can give me on this list would be great. My idea with the Dragon Princes with the Banner of Ellyrion is that all my special units can move through the woods. One of my main opponents is a Wood elf player who I have an annoying tendency of only tying with.

·
Registered
11 Posts
cant use armour of caledor on steed use barded steed shield and heavy armour
use silver wand on mage
do you know which lore you gonna use?
i should use lore of metal, take number 1,3,6 and cast spell number 6 on heavy cavalery

·
Registered
792 Posts
the armor of caledor is pointless for a mounted character. Barded Elven Steed, Dragon Armor, Shield is already a 2+ save. Spend the pts on the Enchanted shield to give your a 1+ and the amulet of light to make your lance attacks as well as the attacks by your unit of dragon princes magical.

Drop the archers down to 10, and get some more spearment with the pts for max ranks, and a banner for static combat resolution.
On the mage I wouldn't run two dispel scrolls since if you choose high magic you get access to drain magic. I would choose seerstaff of saphery and a dispel scroll as this is the only way you can choose spells or go with a powerstone instead of the dispel scroll because against a low magic army you can almost guarantee one turn of a successful devastating spell of your choice.

Oh and for the person who said choose spell 6 for lore of metal, with a level 2 mage you only have a ~37% chance of successfully casting it, so not the best choice though if you get lucky it does doe a number on calvary.

·
Registered
36 Posts
6 spell from lore of metal needs what? 12? to go off? with 3 dice for being lvl 2 (if u pay the 35 points) then u got like a 50% chance roughly... and belive me... things happen. Im a chaos player at heart and ive had infernal gateway go off 1st turn using only 3 dice... and it needs like a 15 to go off. I dont deny that i got lucky but if u pay the whole 35 points (shock, horror) then it will go off more often than not. So just pay the 35 points and ur all good.

·
Registered
519 Posts
ok you have a few things i would change:

Get rid of all the command models, exept the ones you need to give a unit a magic banner or such.

choose to go with spearmen and make a unit of 25 with FC or go for 2 units of 10 archers.. don't do both

for all the points that come free that way, you could put an other unit of WL in there, or increase your current units to 12 (putting them 6-wide ofcourse)

Choose for a mage with annulian crystal/ Dispel Scrolls. and try to cast shield of saphery and drain magic, but don't rely on it. or take 2 LV2 mages if you want to dominate the magic phase.

Try if you could fit in an annoyance unit.. Shadow warriors or a great eagle will be great to do this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys for your posts. One thing I would like to add is is that at the moment the wizard is a lvl one he. He is just there to make sure the worst of the magic does not get off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
G'day,

Personally I would go with another mage. They may lurk around the woods and dance around you, but get one glimpse of them and they can be burnt to a crisp. Magic missiles don't have to hit modifiers, of course. Where your bolt throwers and archers may find it difficult to find their mark, the Fury of Khaine will annihilate them. Goes through the forest spirit wards, too.

Have one with offensive and one with defensive magic items imo. If they use Calaingor's Stave (and by golly gosh they should) then a defensive item such as the Ring of Corin or Annulian Crystal should do the trick. With the freedom either of those two items can provide, you probably won't need to use drain magic, and can simply burn them to a crisp.

I don't think the extra combat resolution the warbanner gives can really justify the points when in the hands of a white lion. After all they are stubborn, and hence whether you win or lose combat doesn't really matter. Just keep hacking through. :)

Regarding the archers, I noticed you have included them as well as spearmen. Have you considered using sea guard? Great multi tasking unit, they have worked quite well for me. That would free up just over 100 points.

I feel that against WE bolt throwers haven't really done too much for me, and imo you would get more out of a unit of seaguard. With dirty units/tricks like waywatchers and treesurfing, and in general the amazing speed, sneakyness, amount of bowfire and manoeuvrability WE can bring to the table, I would leave the bolt throwers in the case. WE have been able to take out mine with some impressive efficiency. Seaguard will do almost as much damage at range, and with static combat resolution you will see their units literally bounce of them.

The direction of this list seems to be quite good, mate. The inclusion of White Lions, the Banner of Ellyrion etc are good choices, and should really help you out.

Good luck

·
Registered
519 Posts
well i could tell you, i play WE on a regular basis, and i really love my boltthrower, and i NEVER use lothern seaguard.

The boltthrower is about the only thing that can really bring down a unit of dryads, besides that, he is a great failsafe if your opponent chooses to field a treeman.

i don't use LSG because of the range. WE players are really well capable to move in such a way that they can shoot you while you can't hit them. LSG are more affected by this as they cannot march and still fire, but if they do not move, your opponent will make sure your just out of range, while he is still in range.
LSG are good, but only if you are sure you don't have to move them, and your enemy will come to you to charge you... ( i like them against brets)

good luck :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Aight. I spent so long writing my other reply that it didn't work when I finally hit post, so in short...

I like bolt throwers too, but WE archery can pick of the crew quite efficiently. I usually face enough bow fire to kill 1.4 crewmen statistically. That's devastating. Waywatchers, scouts and glade riders are all quick enough to take bolt throwers out, and although they can be countered in theory, when all three are coming at you, it's not always easy to stop. The way warmachine crew form up against you, it is probable that they'll overun into another if you're fielding two

White Lions, Swordmasters, a Mage casting Fury of Khaine, a Lion Chariot, and Dragon Princes can all kill Dryads more efficiently than two RBT's even at short range. Statistically the RBT's will kill two, White Lions - approx. 3, Swordmasters approx 4.4, Fury of Khaine - 3.5, Lion Chariot - Bit over 3 from memory, Dragon Princes - I think it was 5.4 with a Noble just like in this army list. They are all examples of units that kill Dryads. BTW Dryads charging into a unit of 15 HE Spearmen will inflict only 0.5 more casualties than the HE and lose combat by 3.8. They're not that formidable vs HE at least, unless they're one of multible units charging you or they're in the flank/rear.

True, Bolt Throwers are good against Treeman, but so are White Lions and he has two units of those.

Your range argument about LSG is based on the presumption of shooting the archers. There will almost always be another target. If they're all hiding and completely relying on archery the best they'll get is a draw, frankly. Oh and if they they think they're being sneaky by only just being in range of you, then you can simply march up a unit containing a Mage and cast Fury of Khaine. If you get it off, statistically you'll kill 4.7 Glade Guard or equivalent. That's a lot to a Wood Elf player.

You're right that LSG can't march and shoot, but neither can anything that comes to mind other than Fast Cavalry. They're affected no more than WE in that respect. Asrai Archery allows them to move and shoot without penalty, not march and shoot ;)

If you're not moving your Seaguard, you could probably be getting more out of them. They're an amazingly versatile unit, and can readily adapt to any situation... When used correctly.

Hope this makes sense

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.