Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, heres an i dea what i might use for my 1500pt army.

farseer with doom, singing spear

5 wraithguard, spiritseer with enhance
waveserpent with vectored engines, spirit stones and scatter lasers

5 wraithguard, spiritseer with enhance

10 dire avengers, exarch with 2 Shuriken catapults and bladestorm

10 guardians with scatter laser platform, warlock with embolden

wraithlord with EML and bright lance

wraithlord with scatter laser and shuriken cannon

should be 1500 on the dot if im not mistaken. The two squads of wraithguard will go tank popping, as will one of the wraithlords. The farseer will go with the DAs and doom the unit they shoot at. There is more anti infantry in the form of the scatter lasers from the wave serpents and guardians, and the wraithlord.

34 foot troops
2 monstrous creatures
3 vehicles

5 scatter lasers (3 twin)
EML
brightlance
suriken cannon

Any help or criticism would be appreciated!

Cheers
Zezza
10 wraithcannons

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
you dont need vectored engines on all those vehicles, an imobile skimmer is a dead skimmer and useless as transports, VEs go un tranports for assault troops (as opposed to shooting ones)

give the warlock with the guardians conceal

and you are light on anti tank, either give the second WL brignt lance and EML or upgrade some of the serpent weapons to either EML or BL

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't think that both wraithguard units should be mounted because the pointes could be used more effectively on another wraithlord which would strengthen your fire power and combat power

I also think that having the vectored engines is allmost pointless and the points could be spent more effectively on the wraithlords, such as extra heavy weapons or wraithswords

·
Registered
94 Posts
I like it. The Vectored Engines protect your passengers should the skimmers get immobolised. 3+ Armor saves and entangled sucks.
With three tanks, the Wraithlords won't be priority targets.
In a shooty army, I like Guide better than doom, but you've got BS4 for a bunch of your firing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Drop the vectored engines and get yourself some shuriken cannons. Anti-tank is fine imo, Wraithguard ignore AV which means that they can cover stuff like LRCs or Monoliths with crazy armour values plus an extra EML and BL on the Wlord and and you have more than enough coverage on things that have light armour value but force glancing like enemy skimmers and Rhinos (5 scatter lasers 3 TLed and 4 shuriken cannons? That is nuts...).

A bit light on the MEQ coverage but you can throw Wraithlords and guard at them and the sheer amount of shots can take down things. Swap Warlock power to conceal and you get a BL over a scatter laser if you want on the Guardians.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys thanks for the comments. Wizwom is correct, i really dont like the idea of my units being pinned for a whole turn doing nothing. This means a whole turn of enemy shooting at a stranded unit that i cant even more into some cover, so 20pts is a small price to pay for this security in my opinion. The guardians will almost always be deployed in some sory of cover, usually a building or something that gives a 4+ cover save so conceal would be useless in this situation and embolden would keep them in the fight longer.

I dont think 3 wraithlords is especially fair in a 1500 pt game or less.... cheese will probably be called cos i have 2! Plus i think i have enough anti tank (i might upgrade a WS to a BL though for some games) as the wraithguard can go head to head with pretty much any tank on the game and reliably kill it in one round of shooting, even monoliths and LRs go boom.

Shuriken cannons on the wave serpents arent particularly useful as i dont think you can fire it as well as the main gun when u move over 6. Also with the new defensive weps being made str4 in 40k 5th ed, the shuriken cats will still be able to shoot.

Thanks again for your comments, appreciated!

Zezza

·
WarmaHorde
2,570 Posts
Shuriken cannons on the wave serpents arent particularly useful as i dont think you can fire it as well as the main gun when u move over 6. Also with the new defensive weps being made str4 in 40k 5th ed, the shuriken cats will still be able to shoot.
Last I checked the shuriken cannon is a defensive weapon. You can move up to 12" and fire one offensive weapon and all defensive weapons.

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Hey guys thanks for the comments. Wizwom is correct, i really dont like the idea of my units being pinned for a whole turn doing nothing. This means a whole turn of enemy shooting at a stranded unit that i cant even more into some cover, so 20pts is a small price to pay for this security in my opinion.
ok IRL the way you use transports for Shooting troops, particularly short ranged shooting troops, is to move up, jump out and shoot, all in one turn, your opponent doesnt get to shoot you up at close range, henceyou wont get pinned there.

Transport for ASSAULT troops, you move up and stay in the transport (cos you cant assault), your opponent has his turn, then next turn you get out, and go for him, clearly there is a risk, in his turn, of you getting imobalised and your assault troops being caught as you worry

But you dont have assault troops, you have shooting units in transports, you should not be moving up to his line and staying in the transports, unless you want to lose

The other arguement, that you dont move up immediatley, has no real bite either, your troops have a short range, you do need to get them to work, however if you stay back then sure the tanks can get imobalised, but you are not under his guns, you wont get shot to shreds

This is pretty basic eldar techniques, if you need more info on how to use eldar units I recomend searching the main eldar forum
The guardians will almost always be deployed in some sory of cover, usually a building or something that gives a 4+ cover save so conceal would be useless in this situation and embolden would keep them in the fight longer.
If you feel you can gaurentee that then fine, but whilst you probably can put them in cover, you are using an army that is agressive in nature, you need to impose your plans on the game, you dont really want to limit where you place your units (and thus restrict your line of fire) and not be able to move them.
I dont think 3 wraithlords is especially fair in a 1500 pt game or less.... cheese will probably be called cos i have 2! Plus i think i have enough anti tank (i might upgrade a WS to a BL though for some games) as the wraithguard can go head to head with pretty much any tank on the game and reliably kill it in one round of shooting, even monoliths and LRs go boom.
monliths wont go boom, they ignore the lance rule, you score, on average, 1 and a third hits per turn, but you only glance 1 in 6, worse still, it ignores half the glancing hits, so 1 in 12 hits will do anything of value (that is not even kill per game on average if you sit there the entire game shooting at the lith and he chooses not to do anything about you)
I do think you are short of AT, however, not about to argue it further with you, and do tend to agree with your 3 WL point

Thanks again for your comments, appreciated!

Zezza
the 5th ed rules are by no means set in stone, they are at best an early draft, and are not valid at the moment, as it stands the current rule set makes the cannon upgrade worth while, If the 5 th ed appear as they have then you re right, but that is going to hurt a lot of both eldar and Tau, not to mention IG players

·
Registered
26 Posts
Regarding Liths, Cheredanine, assuming there's 10 Wraithcannon shots you get in 6.66~ hits and then that's 2.22~ glancing and 2.22~ penetrating hits since Wraithcannons ignore AV. Even if the lith is skimming (doubtful if he deep struck) that's still 4.44~ glancing hits, which is enough to take out the monolith, if not permanently, until the next turn, when you can.

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
appreciate the WG can handle liths but suspect they would be better employed eating warriors, destroyers etc, if they become dedicated to AT there is little left of the army, thinking more in terms of efficiency than just capability

1 - 10 of 10 Posts