Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Made this list instead of using phase out as a weakness i use it as a advantage instead.

HQ:
Deceiver

Troops:
11 warriors
11 warriors

Elites:
10 Pariahs

Heavys:
Monolith
2x tomb spyders
2x tomb spyders

Idea is to hold the warriors in reserve.

Crap,posted in the wrong secton RFIK.

·
1,880 Posts
Can I ask how it's an advantage? You're trying to have them ignore everything that isn't Necron? So when they kill 17 necrons you lose? That's kinda easy to do in a 1500 point game. You planning on hiding them all game? That can be hard to do with only 1 monolith, especially if they're mobile.

GOOD luck though, i'd love to see how this fares.

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
That, well. You're crazy. *hands gold star*

Even with phase out being a non-issue your model count is rather low in this list, I wonder if perhaps scarabs wouldn't be a bad buy to go tie up enemy skirmishers and other faster units. Also the sheer number of wounds granted by a few scarabs would really help you out. Maybe drop two warriors and two pariahs or so, grab a 4 squad and a 5 squad of bugs, and set about like a maaaadmaaan!

Oh also scarabs would create a very handy shield for your units, mobile cover saves are important to have for those pariahs, they don't get WBB and need some serious protection vs. plasma, etc.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I think I see what PrinceChimera is attempting here.

Correct me if I'm wrong;

• Warriors still contribute to the PO count, even while kept off table. (Not in the monolith as it is illegal with minimum troops choices but just off table all the same).
  • If deployed, the warriors are going to be kept behind the monolith to block LOS from enemy units so they can't target them. Maybe in cover as well while this happens.
  • The Deceiver and tombspyders march off to kill whatever they run into, with the pariahs for their warscythes and their synergy with the Deceiver.
Simple as that, if PO holds out.

I'd take up Alzer's suggestion, lose just two warriors and maybe two pariahs or so and pick up some scarabs for a mobile cover save for the pariahs.

And of course, I take it that you intend to spawn one scarab for each tombspyder for the extra wounds and attacks?

Its a very good and feasible list as long as enemy units don't creep around and go for the warriors (if they're on table)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This list was a obvious joke,or was it ?.

The fact i could reserve both my warrior squads and just run around with the uber hard units would be fun.

The advantage is i don't have to worry about PO if there is no warriors on the board.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not a feasible tactic

Major hole in your tactic is the warrior reserve rule. You can only hold out warriors in excess of the minimum troop choice. Meaning in a standard game you must deploy 2 squads minimum(or have them held in reserve in a normal fashion if the rules allow for it). And even if you were allowed to hold all of your troops in reserve you would lose the second someone scored a lucky las hit on your monolith

Next if you held the monolith in reserve you would have a longer time(theoretically) before your warriors would emerge from the portals. But if warriors are available you cannot use the particle whip and must port your warriors in.

So with 3 ten man squads you total 540pts. Add in a monolith for a total 735. this gives you a base 30% of your necron force held in reserve that make you PO immune as long as they are off the board. This gives what i assume is the basis for your strategy.

So to the bulk of the killing force of the army. 4 TS at 220 gives you a solid melee punch but it is slow and cumbersome. Given the mechanization of most armies or plain killing abilities these guys will be hard to get into the fray. As suggested before some Scarabs will give you some much needed cover and lock up other troops. If i remember correctly 3 basses can be fielded for 36 points and you will need the shielding so take 3 groups of three. Your running total of points should be 1063.

You need an HQ in your army and you shose the deceiver. But seeing as your initial tactic was to not have any necrons on the board and that is clearly impossible you may want to compromise for a lord with nightmare shroud. Add in 8 pariah and you get a running total of 1481.

with this rules compatible list you ideally deploy 21 necrons and your opponent needs to kill 24 to make you phase out. however considering that 2/3 of the missions require you to hold or contest objectives you will be severely hampered by limited troops and lack of mobility. And the other 1/3 is a mere kill fest where you will fid you have hobbled yourself by dedicating well over 1/4 of your army to preventing phase out.

In conclusion don't try this. You pass up much better core figures to get "support cast" models and try to make them the bulk of army. Mind you this advice is coming from a guy who is currently trying to make a SM army with 6 dreads and 4 scout squads. Fun to think about but sucks on the field!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Major hole in your tactic is the warrior reserve rule. You can only hold out warriors in excess of the minimum troop choice. Meaning in a standard game you must deploy 2 squads minimum(or have them held in reserve in a normal fashion if the rules allow for it). And even if you were allowed to hold all of your troops in reserve you would lose the second someone scored a lucky las hit on your monolith

In conclusion don't try this. You pass up much better core figures to get "support cast" models and try to make them the bulk of army. Mind you this advice is coming from a guy who is currently trying to make a SM army with 6 dreads and 4 scout squads. Fun to think about but sucks on the field!
Why wouldn't this work? Yeah, I can see the limited ability in objective games but why can't it work for annihilate games? It'd be interesting to see the C'tan and other uber units tear around the field, giving the opponent a headache.
Also, where does it explicitly state in the BRB that you must deploy a minimum of one HQ and 2 troop choices on table? As far as I can tell, it doesn't. It merely requires that you select the minimum but doesn't state that it must be deployed on table (refer the Reserves rule) so it is possible to hold warriors in reserves provided that they enter from the table edge.

Besides, that's the beauty of WH40K, you can experiment with combinations (not at tourneys obviously).

Reactions: DMSolar501

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Next if you held the monolith in reserve you would have a longer time(theoretically) before your warriors would emerge from the portals. But if warriors are available you cannot use the particle whip and must port your warriors in.

So with 3 ten man squads you total 540pts. Add in a monolith for a total 735. this gives you a base 30% of your necron force held in reserve that make you PO immune as long as they are off the board. This gives what i assume is the basis for your strategy.

So to the bulk of the killing force of the army. 4 TS at 220 gives you a solid melee punch but it is slow and cumbersome. Given the mechanization of most armies or plain killing abilities these guys will be hard to get into the fray. As suggested before some Scarabs will give you some much needed cover and lock up other troops. If i remember correctly 3 basses can be fielded for 36 points and you will need the shielding so take 3 groups of three. Your running total of points should be 1063.

You need an HQ in your army and you shose the deceiver. But seeing as your initial tactic was to not have any necrons on the board and that is clearly impossible you may want to compromise for a lord with nightmare shroud. Add in 8 pariah and you get a running total of 1481.

with this rules compatible list you ideally deploy 21 necrons and your opponent needs to kill 24 to make you phase out. however considering that 2/3 of the missions require you to hold or contest objectives you will be severely hampered by limited troops and lack of mobility. And the other 1/3 is a mere kill fest where you will fid you have hobbled yourself by dedicating well over 1/4 of your army to preventing phase out.

GJ sherlock.

Besides, that's the beauty of WH40K, you can experiment with combinations (not at tourneys obviously).
Indeed,Monolith,Warrior,Destroyer spam gets a tad bit boring.

·
Registered
14 Posts
"Why wouldn't this work? Yeah, I can see the limited ability in objective games but why can't it work for annihilate games? It'd be interesting to see the C'tan and other uber units tear around the field, giving the opponent a headache.
Also, where does it explicitly state in the BRB that you must deploy a minimum of one HQ and 2 troop choices on table? As far as I can tell, it doesn't. It merely requires that you select the minimum but doesn't state that it must be deployed on table (refer the Reserves rule) so it is possible to hold warriors in reserves provided that they enter from the table edge."
First off you could decide to hold your entire army in reserve. The specific rule I'm talking about is the Necron Warrior Reserve rule on the codex page. The reason why this would be more advantageous in fulfilling the desired roll is you need to make 2 reserves rolls for the warriors. Also any warriors not held in reserve via the warrior reserve rule would enter via your board edge limiting the effect the could have on the game. Less of a problem in annihilate but assuring at best a draw in take and hold as well as recon missions.
"Besides, that's the beauty of WH40K, you can experiment with combinations (not at tourneys obviously). "
Yes you can expirement but in this scenario you are leaving 400 pts of your army behind. Why not just ask your enemy if you can run 1100 pts without troops if they can run 1500?
"Indeed,Monolith,Warrior,Destroyer spam gets a tad bit boring. "
I can not argue with this point... I have been playing necrons since before the Chapter approved rules supplement. I stopped playing in fourth when i found out a new rule book would be coming out before we got another codex. I Started again with the rumours of a new codex and now think we will have one sometime during 6th edition right after DE and DH. Anyhow how does not playing with true necrons(those with the special ability) negate the 75% PO. In stead you are starting with 27% less points than your opponent. Your trading one flaw for another not turning it into an advantage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts