heavy support: zoanthropes (2# 130 pts)
both have warp blast, 1 has synapse creature and the other has psychic scream

heavy support: Carnifex (1# 183 pts)
Enhanced senses
Bonded exoskeleton
Reinforced chitin
Barbed Strangler
Venom Cannon

This army is for mini tournies and for playing with friends. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hive Tyrant: Drop the implant atttack unless you want it to be able to kill characters.
Broodlord: Again, drop the implant attack unless it is meant to kill characters. Also drop the implant attack of the retiune, you wont be facing a lot of models with 2 wounds each.
Warriors: either make a warrior CC or shooting. It doesnt work well when you try to make it work both ways. You can have 2 shooting Warriors and 2 CC in a squad (your warriors wont survive long without at least 5 members in a squad) but not each hybrid. Unless you want it the other way.
Dakkafex (Elite Carnifex): good, solid choice.
Spinegaunts: I dont personally like spinegaunts, id rather you have two squads of termies but its up to you. Get strength 4 weapons with reroll to wound for an extra point or strength 3 weapons with reroll to hit for a point less per model?

Termagaunts: Good, solid choice.

Hormagaunts: Good choice, but i usually add an upgrade to them, like +WS, +I, or +S

Winged rippers: Rippers can sometimes be a ripoff, but they work admittly well . Consider adding some Gargoyles or Raveners, to your list.

Sniperfex: Unless your Carnifex will be close to enemy guns, you dont need the extra wound or toughness. If it will, get the Extended carapace too, to negate AP 3 wepons and a +2 save is also nice.

Overally your army is good, but you need another squad of Genestealers. These nids are the main damage making troops and i suggest adding 8 Cockroach stealers (Stealers with extended carapace) to your list. Otherwise your list could damage to almost anyone else.

·
stupidity just kicked in!
812 Posts
@Hive Fleet Hydra he said that this is his first list ever so he might just as well be a new warhammer player. So when you are making suggestions try to explain why you think it's better. As the player may change his list trusting in what you said but can't use it properly because the player don't know how it should be played.

@Bug Controller
Tyrant: I'd remove implant attack as Hive Fleet Hydra recommended. The wound caused by implant attack are model specific, meaning that it won't carry over to other models in base contact. And there aren't that many muti wound models out there to using it in a all round list. I like flying tyrants with dual twin-linked devourers instead of a pure CC one. As the devourers will give you a nice 12 S5 shots with both reroll on hit and wound plus you will get 4 S6 attacks with no saves when you charge in CC that IMO is better than 6 CC attacks for a pure CC build.

Broodlord: Same with implant attack as with the tyrant above. I wouldn't trust my game on a broodlord in a tournament though. As they infiltrate will draw a lot of fire and be killed most likely the latest by turn 2. Another walking gun tyrant with tyrant guards is a much safer bet.

Warriors: Don't forget Enhanced senses. You don't want them to hit on 5+. I'd add toxin sacs as well to make them deadly against low and medium AV armour. And if you're facing decent amount of low armoured models then I'd use a barbed strangler instead of the venom cannon as it will be a guaranteed pin.

Gaunts: I like vanilla gaunts as you simply get more models! No I don't think that one point extra for termagaunts is worth it just because I think gaunts are just there for one assignment and that's to tie up with the enemy in CC... that and to die. SO i'd much rather have more models and secure the killing to my other bugs instead of paying 1 more point per gaunt and hoping it will be enough to maybe kill one more.

Rippers: Nice to see someone using winged rippers. For a messy 2pts more you can make them twin linked shooting! This isn't the same situation as with gaunts as shooting won't affect their movement and thus won't disturb them from their main purpose. plus you usually don't have that many rippers that pts will matter.

I agree with Hive Fleet Hydra that you need some better hitting CC and stealers would be it. I'd trade the dakkafex and thinin out on the homagaunts and spinegaunts (those two are a little too big broods to maneuver smoothly) and make way for a 8 strong stealer brood with carapace.

The rest of your list seems pretty good.

·
Registered
576 Posts
alrite next time ill explain everything. Srry bug and thanks zhaf

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've just went to my first tournament today. It was really fun, and i used the same tyrant you did... It did only "okay" in one of the matches. In the others i didn't kill more than 100 points. The implant attack is what kinda helped though because i killed a talos and somehow killed a dark eldar lord. Overall, the CC Flyrant is not worth it just because alot of things you'd think this tyrant can obliterate, OWN YOU. I had a dakka tyrant in the army (2-Tl Devos), and the shooting killed a great amount (until the necrons came :0) and when it got into CC, it did perfectly fine.

I agree about the brood lord, get rid of Implant attack. And isn't there a rule about individual characters with different saves than their retinue? not sure though.

I don't like your warrior choice. Personaly, i like Tl-devos on them. And like they said, give them more ups and get rid of the CC claws. Carnifex is cool though

Don't run both spinegaunts and termagaunts. They have a really obvious target to pick. The more expensive unit thats easier to kill. Its actually not much of a difference, but your probably not going to shoot anyways. Chances are you'll fleet to get into charging range. Their job is to tie up things in CC.

With broods that big, divide them up evenly. Since tyranids are usually fearless, it doesn't really matter how small the brood is. The hormies are pretty good in larger broods, but even then at max they should be in 16's. Like they said, you should get at least one solid sqad of genestealers

I don't like rippers... Maybe to some people they've worked out, but me... I understand that they can fly into cover pretty easily, but blasts just obliterate them! I had a prism cannon (the one that shoots a line) kill 4 of them along with a bit of other units with one shot. I don't think them taking up some shots is a good excuse for them dieing either, with one ord blast they probably just killed like 80 points.

Not a fan of thropes, but i've never tried them out yet. They seem pretty solid though.

I don't agree on the +1Sv on the fex. I'd say +1W would be the best bet. Many armies rely one tank killers to take out MC's, and +1Sv would really help... But I'm just saying thats the first thing I would give it, if you really wanted to, you could give it both. Actually, I've never decided which was better, +1T or +1Sv...:?

·
BANANA!
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So here is my revised list:

HQ:Hive Tyrant (1# 196 pts)
Enhanced senses
Toxin sacs
Winged
twin-linked devourers
twin-linked devourers
Warp Field

HQ: Broodlord (1# 90 pts)
Extended carpace
Toxin sacs
retinue: genestealers (7# 161 pts)
Implant attack
Extended carpace

Elite: warriors (3# 105 pts)
1 warrior:
extended carpace, Barbed strangler, sything taylons, toxin sacs
1 warrior:
extended carpace, devourer, sything taylons, toxin sacs
1 warrior:
extended carpace, devourer, rendering claws, toxin sacs

Elite: carnifex (1# 113 pts)
Enhanced senses
twin-linked devourers
twin-linked devourers

troops: spinegaunts (12# 60 pts)
spinefists

troops: spinegaunts (12# 60 pts)
spinefists

troops: hormagaunts (24# 240 pts)

troops: genestealers (8# 160 pts)
extended carpace

fast attack: ripper swarm (5# 100 pts)
winged

heavy support: zoanthropes (2# 130 pts)
both have warp blast, 1 has synapse creature and the other has psychic scream

heavy support: Carnifex (1# 183 pts)
Enhanced senses
Bonded exoskeleton
Reinforced chitin
Barbed Strangler
Venom Cannon

That leaves me with 77 points to lose some how.
I also thought that I could swap the Broodlord, his retinue and the Dakkafex for a Hive Tyrant and a retinue but I dont know if that would be smart or not.

·
812 Posts
@Hive Fleet Hydra: You have done nothing wrong. No need for apologies. It's just the way I wanted to get informed if I were new to this game, that's all.

@GH3_master: Yeah I know I did the same test and the CC one always underperformed compared to the dakka variant. Maybe we're playing the CC flyrant the wrong way?

About the different saves question: The majority (number of models not wounds) of the saves will be used. So if the stealer retinue are 4+ and the broodlord are 3+ you will save with 4+ even if only the broodlord are within range of the weapons used. So I'd use a broodlord with only 4+ save.

About the warriors deathspitters are very good against 5+ saves and can level pretty much one unit per shooting phase. Devourers IMO are better against marine type models and as he are going into a tournament he have be prepared to take care of masses of guardsmen and orks fast. He already got some pretty good models for anti armor.

About rippers: true that blast weapons absolutely kills them. But better them than the stealers! Because of the "vulnerable to blast" rule many players will shoot them with blast weapons without a second thought and thinking that they've done something smart but infact that's exactly what you wanted! I had a tau player use a railshot at them once. Shure the whole brood died but my stealers got unharmed and that's what I wanted. It's the illusion

You should try out zoanthropes. They're like ravengers. They're deadly but you still don't want to spend a whole unit shooting at one model. Scream and blast makes a very good combo, synapse good for gaunt control. If they shoot at your zoanthropes you'll laugh at them for being stupid to sacrifice a whole turn of shooting on one model and you'll continue to laugh at them while you roll your 2+ saves (if they use AP2 weapons, look at your canrifex then laugh at them). If they ignore them, make them pay with ap3 shots and - to Ld ^^.

Abut the +T or +Sv question. It really depends on what army you'll face. For example necrons have the gauss rule and only one AP2 weapon so +Sv would make most sense here. Same with Tau as they only have one AP2 weapon and several AP3 wepaons. I like to use carapace more than exoskeleton though as armour save matters more than toughness in 40k. For example I'd take carapace over exoskeleton against most marines because of krak missiles and plasma guns. Krak missiles won't be effected much by higher T but cripples it with +sv. And when krak fails marine players want to find replacement for that. And with the amount of plasma weapons in a marine army plasma guns would be a easy pick. The problem with marine plasmas are that most of them (if not all) are a special weapon in a squad and thus they're making a tactical squad shoot my fex. Sure it will most certainly lose a wound, but it would have otherwise too. The thing is that I made him shoot my fex with a tactical squad and they wasted a good amount of bolter fire that won't hurt him. He then fires the krak missile on my warriors and they take one wound, now if the tactical squad fired at my warriors it'll be much more than just one wound that they would loose. When I tool my fex with defensive biomorphs I like to think of what kind of fire I want my opponent to shoot it with. Not how will I keep my fex from harms way.

·
812 Posts
@Bug Controller: Your list looks pretty good. I like the deathspitter warriors better though as they will give you a good edge against the basic eldar/dark eldar/guard/kroot/ork and other tyranid models. I would swap the broodlord for a tyrant with guards any tournament. The broodlord is too much of a whildcard. In tournaments I like to know what my models are capable of.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I like the brood lord, but not the implant attacks on the stealers. If anything, Scything talons or flesh hooks should be used.

Brood lords and MC's pretty much have the same role, just at different targets. They all divert fire from your other units. The first thing they would shoot at is your Brood lord, than your Flyrant, than the dakka fex. They would shoot the dakka fex because at the time, it would probaly be doing the most damage than the sniper. I recommend taking off the +1T on the Fex because there's a good chance that it will be ignored for a long time anyway.

Split the hormies into 2 broods of 12, or spit them into 2 broods of 10 and give them some ups with the points. Use the points from the dropped BE from the fex to upgrade these too.

I still don't like the warrior configuration. They have a long ranged gun and a short ranged gun. Deathspitters are the good in this type of brood, but TL devos are still beastly.

I dont really like Tyrant guards. Too expensive for my liking. Depending on what the tyrant's weapons are, it wouldn't really need the extra wounds. If its a dakka tyrant, it would probably just be shot by the troops or some of the elites and +1Sv would help just as much in this case. A sniper tyrant could probably use the guards though.

Did you mean you have 77 points left? In that case, use them on ups on the Hormies, +1S and +1I are really good on them. With the Implant attacks dropped and the +1T on the fex dropped, you probably would have enough points for 4 more stealers. If you do this, use 2 broods of 6 stealers.

·
BANANA!
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I meant I am 77 points over the limit.
If anyone wants to tell me what is better, the Hive Tyrant ot the Broodlord, I have started a thread called Broodlord or Hive Tyrant?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts