All have Camo Cloaks
Combat Squad: 4 Sniper Rifles, 1 Missile Launcher
Combat Squad: 4 CCW/BP, 1 Power Fist, Meltabombs, Teleport Homer

Land Speeder Storm
Heavy Bolter

3 Scout Bikers
Power Fist, Meltabombs, Locator Beacon

Total: 1495

Shooty Terminators and Sniper Scouts sit on home objective. Combat Scouts go in the Storm and scout move towards objective or enemy position. Scout Bikers scout move towards another. Shrike either goes with Shooty Terminators to give them Infiltrate so they can deploy last or with one of the Drop Pod Squads.

On Turn 1, one of the drop pods come down to support the Scout Bikers who assault any enemy there to hold them for at least a turn while the Pod marines/shrike catch their breath, or wipe out a vehicle there before it moves.

Storm Scouts attempt to sieze any objective there, assaulting if necessary with help from the Cerberus Launcher. The idea is to hold on until Turn 2 and teleport the Assault Terminators (and possibly Shooty Terminators if it's Kill Points) to support. If no enemy is nearby, deploy into cover to take advantage of Camo Cloaks.

On Turn 2, the Terminators and other Drop Pod should come down to strengthen any point in the assault that needs it them. The Storm can be used to ferry Scouts about and contest/score objectivers.

The ability to make two first-turn assaults on key positions and support those elements immediately with reinforcements on Turns 1 and 2 and suppressing fire is what I hope makes this army list fluffy and competitive. The only choice I'm not certain of is Shrike himself. He doesn't really add much to the army, excepting giving the Storm and Biker scouts a better chance of being in assault range, but they're unlikely to need it. Nothing else really needs to Fleet because it can Deep Strike reliably into position.

I've been considering replacing him with a Captain and adding in some Sternguard in a Pod, at the cost of the Storm. Alternatively, field the Captain with one of the Tactical Squads and use the points freed from Shrike to buy two Land Speeders with MM's. Adding a Sternguard Squad in Drop Pod means I could drop a second Pod down on Turn 1.

The other option is to replace the Shooty Terminators with a 10-man Assault Squad, 2 Flamers, PF, Meltabombs (240pt). This closes the army at a full 1500 points and allows me a first-turn assault with Shrike and Fleeting, Infiltrating Assault Marines but leaves very little in fire support from my deployment zone, just 4 sniper rifles and a missile launcher.

Thoughts on how I could make this a better army list?

·
My backpack has JETS!
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry for the double post, but I have an alternative to the above list and thought it would be pointless to create a new topic.

Shrike would go with the Assault Terminators and infiltrate into position. Instead of just detaching Shrike to hold up a unit for the Termies, we support him with the Combat Scouts in the Storm, adding a scoring unit to the flank.
Scout Bikers would contest another while dropping a Tactical and Sternguard Squad, adding two scoring units, a first-turn assault, anti-tank and anti-infantry to the other.
The second Sternguard Squad would deep strike from reserve wherever needed and the 5 Sniper Scouts would camp a home objective.

Shrike

7 Assault Terminators
4 TH/SS, 3 LC

6 Sternguard
3 Combi-Meltas
Drop Pod

6 Sternguard
3 Combi-Meltas
Drop Pod

Tactical Squad
Meltagun, Plasma Cannon, Power Fist
Drop Pod

Scout Squad
Cloaks
4 Sniper Rifles, Missile Launcher
4 CCW/BP, Power Fist, Meltabombs

3 Scout Bikers
Power Fist, Meltabombs, Locator Beacon

Land Speeder Storm

Total: 1500

·
Registered
449 Posts
That's a list that'll do well. The main thing that sticks out: no Assault Squad? That's the one thing that screams Raven Guard to me. I'd lose one of the Terminator Squads for unit of ten with a Power Fist.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
that list will struggle in objective games. try to get in 3 scoring units atleast. 4 imo. I know you can combat squad, but still you can only hold 1 objective per squad and cannot contest at the same time.
thanks
antique_nova

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
I'd put the two armies together, something like...

Shrike, Assault Terminators, Sternguard, Tactical Squads, single sniper Scouts squad, Scout Bikers.

I don't like close combat scouts unless you have a LOT more combat than what you're currently sporting; they just aren't worth the points, especially when you've only got five of them. If you hang onto them, give some or all of them shotguns; it's definitely worth it, IMO.

And just to clear something up; while your "typical" Raven Guard army definitely does sport Assault Marines, they are still a codex chapter. They use the tools best suited to the situation at any time, and you should never feel obligated to field anyone wearing a jump pack just because you're playing Raven Guard. As GW has typically presented them, that would be the case, but in the real fluff, you can field whatever you want.

Librarium | Online | Forums

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.