Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Eh?
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, Woot for my second post!

With that immaturity out of the way, this is my first attempt at an Eldar Army List. It is designed for tournament play and is on a Saim-Hann theme, as you could probably guess! I am after an entirely mechanised army, fast but ultimately fragile, as the Eldar should be!

So, as a newcomer to the Eldar I am looking for suggestions. I should point out that the Autarch will ride with the smaller Jetbike squad and the Farseer with the larger one. The Banshees would be mounted in the Falcon.

HQ

Autarch 120pts
Jetbike
Fusion Gun
Power Weapon

Farseer 150pts
Jetbike
Spirit Stones
Mind War
Doom

Elites

Howling Banshees 123pts
5 Banshees
1 Exarch
Mirrorswords
Acrobatic

Troops

Guardian Jetbike Squad 1 212pts
6 Jetbikes
2 Shuriken Cannons
1 Warlock on Jetbike
Enhance

Guardian Jetbike Squad 2 178pts
5 Jetbikes
1 Shuriken Cannon
1 Warlock on Jetbike
Destructor & Singing Spear

Dire Avengers 157pts
9 Dire Avengers
1 Exarch
Diresword & Shuriken Pistol
Singing Spear

Dire Avenger Wave Serpent 165pts
Bright Lances
Vectored Engines
Spirit Stones

Fast Attack

Vyper Squadron 190pts
2 Vypers, both with:
2 Shuriken Cannons
Holo Fields

Heavy Support

Falcon 205pts
Pulse Laser
Scatter Laser
Shuriken Cannon
Holo Field
Spirt Stones
Vectored Engines

I fear the army might be rather short on anti-tank capability, will the Brightlances of the Wave Serpent suffice?

The bear bones of tactics would be claim objectives with the Dire Avengers backed up by the Banshees, while using the bikers to draw enemy units out and away from the main force. I see the larger, Farseer backed unit, as a mobile firebase, while the smaller unit with the Autarch packs a more close combat or anti-tank punch, while still retaining the numbers to remain viable.

I would love some input from all you wiser players out there. When suggesting adaptations I just wanna stress the mech nature of the force. Also, at this stage of building up my force I’m really keen to use either Dire Avengers, Howling Banshees, Swooping Hawks or Striking Scorpions so when it comes to suggesting aspects warriors for the force – that’s what I’m after! :)

I also want to thank Heiromyo and Cheredanine for their tacticas, should they happen to look at this list!

Thanks for having a look.

Conor

·
4,967 Posts
Autarch: Ok I suppose. a lance could be more fun than the puny St3 power weapon.

Farseer: Again not bad. Casting fortune on your own turbo boosting bike unit can be effective.

Banshees: These must be in a transport to have any effect. They would do better to be in a 10 man unit in a serpent than a 5-6 strong unit in a falcon. Glave rather than mirror swords.

Jetbikes. Max out your shuriken cannon and take embolden as your warlock powers otherwise the 3D6 flee distance can take you off board rather easily. Take a spear on both warlocks too.

Avengers: If you take an exarch then pay for a blade storm or defend (or both). If you don't want a power then just take 10 vanilla men in the unit.

Serpent: Nice for a unit of 10 banshees. Avengers could manage on foot if they have to.

Vipers: Good weapon loadout but drop the holofields for points. Their flimsy nature means vipers aren't worth spending points on other upgrades. Keep 'em cheap.

Falcon: Well tooled up but perhapse a bit pricy. keep it as is unless you are short of points for another upgrade then considder dropping the cannon and/or the vectored engines.

If you feel sort of anti tank then swap the banshees for fire dragons. but I think you should be ok as you are with the vipers' 6xS6 shots on flank armour being possibly the most under rated AT unit around.

·
Eh?
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Cheers for that advice Madcat, I'll see what I can tweak and put up a revised list.

One thing, what is a Glave? As far as I can see the Exarxh can only be given either a power weapon, executioner, triskele or mirrorswords? Still, I am new to this codex so I have probably missed something!

In the mean time, any further comments greatly received ;Y

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
mostly as per madcat-
Autarch - pointless - drop him unless you add shining spears

Farseer - not brilliant but can be usefull

Banshees - the glaive is an executioner, I assume these are going in the falcon?

bikes - useless in assault unless you have already kicked the heck out of your opponents squad, hence the autarch remains a waste, get some points and round the squad up to 6 or drop it to 3, stick with Embolden as a warlock ability or they will run

Avengers - #Always give exarch blade storm, given the transport, dual cats are probably a better wargear choice for him, dont need VE on the serpent, Singing spear???????

Split the vypers in to 2 seperate squads and ditch the holo fields

Falcon - fine

you are going to have to use warlocks to hunt tanks, and you lack sufficient tanks to be honest, at 1500 points your opponent will have enough AT fire power to down one tank and stun another each turn, you probably want about 4

·
Eh?
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Cheers again for that guys.

I take your point about the Autarch. I had read some articles about using a large jetbike squad to all but destroy an enemy unit then charging in to wipe out the 1 or 2 remaining stragglers but I imagine that a Warlock would suffice should it come to that?

I also take your point about the splitting up the Vypers, I don't know how I didn't realise that one!

Finally, I appear to have made one hell of a typo on the Dire Avengers. They actually had Bladestorm in the first place and I don't know how a singing spear got into that entry!

So here is the revised list taking your recommendations into account. I've beefed up the smaller bike squad and the Banshees, giving them their own serpent - both to increase my tank count and to add to my anti tank capabilities.

I've had to take VE of everything to afford it though, I'd love to find 20pts to put VE back on the Falcon - or ideally 60pts to add it to the Serpents as well... Can I ask why people don't seem to be fans of VE? Isn't it a bit crushing to have your tank destroyed on an immobilized result when a mere 20pts would save it for at least another round of shooting?

HQ

Farseer 150pts
Spirit Stones
Mind War
Doom

Elites

Howling Banshees 187pts
9 Banshees
1 Exarch
Executioner
Acrobatic

Banshee Wave Serpent 145pts
Twin Linked Bright Lances
Spirit Stones

Troops

Jetbike Squad 1 205pts
6 Jetbikes w/ 2 Shuriken Cannons
1 Warlock
Embolden
Singing Spear

Jetbike Squad 2 205pts
1 Warlock
Embolden
Singing Spear

Dire Avengers 157 pts
9 Avengers
1 Exarch
Bladestorm

Avenger Wave Serpent 145pts
Spirit Stones

Fast Attack

1 Vyper 60pts
2 Shuriken Cannons

1 Vyper 60pts
2 Shuriken Cannons

Heavy Support

Falcon 185pts
Scatter Laser & Shuriken Cannon
Holo Field
Spirit Stones

Total: 1499pts

Thanks for looking...

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Cheers again for that guys.

I take your point about the Autarch. I had read some articles about using a large jetbike squad to all but destroy an enemy unit then charging in to wipe out the 1 or 2 remaining stragglers but I imagine that a Warlock would suffice should it come to that?

I also take your point about the splitting up the Vypers, I don't know how I didn't realise that one!

Finally, I appear to have made one hell of a typo on the Dire Avengers. They actually had Bladestorm in the first place and I don't know how a singing spear got into that entry!

So here is the revised list taking your recommendations into account. I've beefed up the smaller bike squad and the Banshees, giving them their own serpent - both to increase my tank count and to add to my anti tank capabilities.

I've had to take VE of everything to afford it though, I'd love to find 20pts to put VE back on the Falcon - or ideally 60pts to add it to the Serpents as well... Can I ask why people don't seem to be fans of VE? Isn't it a bit crushing to have your take destroyed on an immobilized result when a mere 20pts would save it for at least another round of shooting?
sure, generally a stationary skimmer is a dead skimmer, if the skimmer has been imobalised, then 9 times out of 10 it is stunned or shaken or has lost its guns aswell, so the one round you are onthe deck, you dont get to shoot.
The point of VE then becomes - if you are transport an assault squad (banshees, harleys, scorpions) then you zoom up but stay in the tank, getting out the next turn, moving, fleeting and charging, that means your opponent has 1 turn with a tank full of assault nastyness right under his nose, any stunned or shaken results dont stop your charge, nor does armourment destroyed, but imobalised without VE will, however, with VE impbalised doesnt stop the charge, halving the chance your opponent has of stopping you, hence that is where VE belongs
HQ

Farseer 150pts
Spirit Stones
Mind War
Doom

Elites

Howling Banshees 187pts
9 Banshees
1 Exarch
Executioner
Acrobatic

Banshee Wave Serpent 145pts
Spirit Stones
as above, this needs VE
Troops

Jetbike Squad 1 205pts
1 Warlock
Embolden
Singing Spear

Jetbike Squad 2 205pts
1 Warlock
Embolden
Singing Spear

Dire Avengers 157 pts
9 Avengers
1 Exarch
Bladestorm

Avenger Wave Serpent 145pts
Spirit Stones

Fast Attack

1 Vyper 60pts
2 Shuriken Cannons

1 Vyper 60pts
2 Shuriken Cannons

Heavy Support

Falcon 185pts
Holo Field
Spirit Stones

Thanks for looking...
better, you possibly need to rethink your HQ- what is it intending to do, and you need those VE on the banshee serpent, perhaps cut 3 bikers and deal with that

·
Eh?
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
In terms of my Farseer's role, it was initially to zip around mindwaring nasty IC and MC and generally use Doom to ensure that units targeted by the jetbikes were indeed destroyed.

I'm considering a slight rethink though. I'm thinking I might strip down the second jetbike squad to just 3 bikers (1 Shuricannon) and the Warlock with spear. The Farseer would join this squad and they would become a small anti-tank (singing spear & witchblade) and anti IC/MC (mind war). I would exchange Doom for fortune to help keep this squad alive.

The extra points would then be rolled into VE for the Grav-tanks + an extra bike for the first jetbike squad.

Do you reckon this would be viable? I think it could make a nice balance between my anti personnel and anti tank capablties?

·
Eh?
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
This old chestnut is back...

Righto, after a few test games I've gone off the idea of Banshees - in this army, with out any supporting combat troops they tend to lack the staying power, and even with Doom that S3 is a real problem!

See what you think of this alternative list:

HQ

Farseer 190pts
Spirit Stones
Runes of Witnessing
Mind War
Doom
Fortune

Elites

5 Fire Dragons 116pts
1 Exarch
Firepike

Troops

Jetbike Squad 1 205pts
1 Warlock
Embolden
Singing Spear

Jetbike Squad 2 124pts
3 Jetbikes w/ 1 Shuriken Cannon
1 Warlock
Embolden
Singing Spear

Dire Avengers 157 pts
9 Avengers
1 Exarch
Bladestorm

Avenger Wave Serpent 155pts
Twin Linked Bright Lances & Shuriken Cannon
Spirit Stones

Fast Attack

1 Vyper 60pts
2 Shuriken Cannons

1 Vyper 60pts
2 Shuriken Cannons

4 Shining Spears 227pts
1 Exarch
Star Lance
Withdraw

Heavy Support

Falcon 205pts
Holo Field
Spirit Stones
Vectored Engines

With the new list I have the Dragons mounted in the Falcon working with the Shinning Spears - as a group they can either go tank hunting or go after strong Close Combat units - the falcon and dragons weakening them up for a spears charge. Compared to my old setup I also exchange one mobile scoring unit for two.

Anyway, comments very welcome!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.