Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to create a new army without the many transports and tanks who everybody deploys these days. I also added wolves for a nice new theme in this army

HQ

Wolf lord " dentonhal the beast " 215pts
( Frost axe, storm shield, thunderwolf mount and saga of the wolfskin )

Rune priest " torghal " 100pts
( living lightning, jaws of the world wolf )

TROOPS

10 greyhunters 195pts
( powerfist, meltagun x2, mark of the wulfen )

10 greyhunters 195pts

12 bloodclaws 180pts
( flamer )

ELITES

3 wolfguard 99pts
( power armour, wolfclaw, bolt pistol )

1 lone wolf 100pts
( terminator armour,thunder hammer ,storm shield ,mark of the wulfen )

FAST ATTACK

15 fenrisian wolves 120pts

HEAVY SUPPORT

6 long fangs 175pts
( 2 x lascannon, missile launcher, heavybolter, plasmacannon )

Total 1499 pts with 74 models

The idea is to create a first wave with the wolves or to outflank or something else on other occasions. They cannot negate it and that gives me more time to get my powerarmored troops in possition. Saga of the wolfskin gives them ld7 and I 5. They are cheap and verry usefull in a footslogger list. My lord can join them and that will give him 15 extra wounds. Wolf guard will join the greyhunter and bloodclaws squad. Rune priest will join a squad to and he his with living lightning a walking autocannon. The lone wolf is his points worth, I tried it for 2 times now and they rock hard. Good against IC or deamons and even tanks will be a easy walk over, there are so manny treats that the lone wolf will be no treat for my enemy in the first 2 turns. Long fangs will give fire support where needed with the lascannons and missile launcher for anti tank and the Hbolter and plasmac for troops.

I tested this against Imperial guard yet with succes.

·
Tyranid Warrior Fanatic
2,668 Posts
I wanted to create a new army without the many transports and tanks who everybody deploys these days. I also added wolves for a nice new theme in this army

HQ

Wolf lord " dentonhal the beast " 215pts
( Frost axe, storm shield, thunderwolf mount and saga of the wolfskin )

Rune priest " torghal " 100pts
( living lightning, jaws of the world wolf )
You might want to give your Rune Priest Storm Caller so you can have some cover.

TROOPS

10 greyhunters 195pts

10 greyhunters 195pts

12 bloodclaws 180pts
( flamer )
Powerfists on grey hunters are overpriced and not very useful at all. With only 1 attack they do very little to dissuade enemy MCs and dreads, and they aren't very effective at killing characters due to the lack of attacks, either. I would cut them and just keep the MotW.

ELITES

3 wolfguard 99pts
( power armour, wolfclaw, bolt pistol )

1 lone wolf 100pts
( terminator armour,thunder hammer ,storm shield ,mark of the wulfen )
You are better off having those powerfists here rather than in the GH units. The extra powerfist attack goes a long way and power fists are more effective than wolf claws anyways, as long as you don't mind striking last at least. Also, power weapons are better against MEQ than single WC or dual WC. They have a lower point per kill ratio. WC are better against higher toughness/ WS9+ opponents, but power weapons are better against MEQ and weaker opponents.

Also, you cannot use a thunderhammer with MotW.

FAST ATTACK

I guess your wolf lord goes here, right? Just be careful because the dogs are only LD7 on their own so the pack without the wolf lord will probably run if the enemy starts shooting at it.

HEAVY SUPPORT

6 long fangs 175pts
( 2 x lascannon, missile launcher, heavybolter, plasmacannon )

Total 1499 pts with 74 models
You have too many different kinds of heavy weapons here. Limit yourself to either one type or one type and missile launchers. Here you have 4 types of heavy weapons that are good against 3 different kinds of enemies so you will pretty much have one useless weapon per turn and if your pack leader dies then half of your weapons are pretty much useless. You would have to choose between firing your HB and PC against a tank or firing your lascannons against common troopers. Its not a great choice to make.

The idea is to create a first wave with the wolves or to outflank or something else on other occasions. They cannot negate it and that gives me more time to get my powerarmored troops in possition. Saga of the wolfskin gives them ld7 and I 5. They are cheap and verry usefull in a footslogger list. My lord can join them and that will give him 15 extra wounds. Wolf guard will join the greyhunter and bloodclaws squad. Rune priest will join a squad to and he his with living lightning a walking autocannon. The lone wolf is his points worth, I tried it for 2 times now and they rock hard. Good against IC or deamons and even tanks will be a easy walk over, there are so manny treats that the lone wolf will be no treat for my enemy in the first 2 turns. Long fangs will give fire support where needed with the lascannons and missile launcher for anti tank and the Hbolter and plasmac for troops.

I tested this against Imperial guard yet with succes.
You don''t have anything with outflank so you can't outflank.

Wolves are quite good but with a low leadership of 7 they aren't really that dependable without an HQ unit attached.

Your LF unit will quickly become not nearly as good once it starts taking casulties. Do you want to remove the Pack Leader and have half your heavy weapons become useless each turn, or do you want to lose an HB or PC, or would you go kill off one of your lascannon guys? No matter what you choose you're not going to like it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont mean to outflank in the terms of the rules , just like using them as a flank attack.

And you canot use MOW with a thunderhammer etc ? I think that i readed that idea in a white dwarf. Fot having a potential 7 thunderhammer attacks in CC.

Ill change the long fang weapons and idd put the powerfist on the wolfguards.

What u think of the idea of the total list I think that it can work with minor changes.

·
Tyranid Warrior Fanatic
2,668 Posts
I dont mean to outflank in the terms of the rules , just like using them as a flank attack.

And you canot use MOW with a thunderhammer etc ? I think that i readed that idea in a white dwarf. Fot having a potential 7 thunderhammer attacks in CC.

Ill change the long fang weapons and idd put the powerfist on the wolfguards.

What u think of the idea of the total list I think that it can work with minor changes.
Unfortunately WD isn't always right. I'm thinking Alessio or who ever said it had probably seen an earlier build and they took it out or he misread it. No one is perfect.

The list doesn't look too bad for casual play. You'll probably want to have stormcaller on your RP so you don't get minced by AP3- weapons (and you might want to have another RP with more stormcaller to protect more units) but it could work. I can see it putting up a good fight as long as you aren't against guard with lots of Russes or another army with lots of AP3-.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea idd,

The only thing I am also thinking about is to have a elite army ( not so many models )
for the painting work ... Build around a land raider redeemer that iI have and wolf guard and more.

So if I understand I will have 3 attacks with a thunderhammer on the charge but the extra attacks with MOW are just normal with rending. Or how does it work then. ( Lone wolf with thunderhammer and Sshield and MOW )

·
Tyranid Warrior Fanatic
2,668 Posts
Yea idd,
So if I understand I will have 3 attacks with a thunderhammer on the charge but the extra attacks with MOW are just normal with rending. Or how does it work then. ( Lone wolf with thunderhammer and Sshield and MOW )
No. You cannot use MotW with anything else. By taking MotW you surrender any and all TH attacks from my understanding. Its not a weapon so you don't get a choice if you take it so you should either take MotW or a thunderhammer.

·
128 Posts
MY understanding of the MoTW rule is that if you have the MoTW then any special weapons like power weaopn, thunderhammer etc are ignored. you attack at your I value using your S value and not your war gear.

basically taking MoTW overrides all CC wargear. so the lone wolf with thunderhammer and stom shioleld is wasting points. I'd advise removing the MoTW from him and leaving him with the thunderhammer and SS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.