Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all. I don't play SW at all, but I'm trying to help a friend of mine who just started out make a decent list at 1500. The guy really like thunderwolf cavalry so I'm hoping to get them in here somehow. He also likes the idea of drop-podding dreadnoughts.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the following:

HQ

• Rune Priest - Jaws of the World Wolf, Living Lightning, Wolftooth Necklace, Melta Bombs - 115
  • Wolf Priest - Melta Bombs - 105

Elites
  • Wolf Guard Pack (x3) - x3 combi-melta, x3 Powerfists - 129
  • Dreadnought - Multi-melta, Heavy Flamer, Drop pod - 150

Troops

• Grey Hunters (x8 ) - Meltagun, Mark of the Wulfen, Rhino - 175
  • Grey Hunters (x9 ) - Meltagun, Mark of the Wulfen, Rhino - 190

Fast Attack

• Thunderwolf Cavalry (x4) - x1 Thunderhammer, x2 Storm shield - 290

Heavy Support

• Long Fang Pack (x6) - x3 Missile Launchers, x2 Lascannons - 170

Total: 1499

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
i would drop a rune priest, because you only need one and grab an objective sitting squad of 5 men with a plasma gun and a 3rd pod so both dreadnoughts can come down and smoke causing the opponent to panick and hesistate more. Thus giving your TWC more time to create their line of attack. Also, with the amount of firepower the TWC attract, their is no point with a storm shield and you only need 3 at the most in 1500 point games. Apart from that you lack alot of firepower and you need a long fang squad of 5x missile launchers to sort that out.

Your TWC cavalry is infact 250 points not the 310 that you believe it is ^^.

thanks
antique_nova

·
Registered
260 Posts
Overall it looks ok and you should do fine with it, but I do have some considerations, based on my play style.

I would consider dropping the Power Fist on the Grey Hunters. You already have a Power Fist on each squad if I understand correctly and the WG are joining the GH unit. Grey Hunters have only a single attack and the cost of the power fist is too high to use it this way. Give them Mark of the Wulfen instead and use the rest of the points to upgrade the Dreadnoughts Storm Bolter to Heavy Flamers.

You either overpriced you TC or missed to include a model. The points are for a 5 model squad, not 4.

Have you consider using a Wolf Priest in the big GH squad? Drop one of the RP and add a WP. They add a lot to a CC squad with their preferred enemy rule.

On the WG department, this is just personal preference, but I like my PF WG with storm bolter instead of multi-melta, but I have at least a LF squad to work armor. In my opnion, you are relying too much on CC and Dreadnoughts to work armor and I just don’t like that. I lost count of how many times I dropped a Dreadnought on the right place, the multimelta either missed or failed to disable the intended target and the dreadnought didn’t leave to try a second time. Besides that, in Annihilation missions, they are just easy KP for my opponents. There are folks that swear by them, but I rather use Long Fangs instead.

Resuming what I would change:
+ Drop the power fist on regular GH
+ Add a Mark of the Wulfen in each GH squad
+ Drop a RP and add a WP
+ Drop one Dreadnought and add a LF squad with 3 ML 2 LC.

·
650 Posts
Take a look at the recent FAQ, your Rune Priest's are illegal as they have the same wargear (basic + Wolf Tail). Also you probably are wanting wolftooth necklace as the wolf tail is 5+ ignore psychics when targetted and they as base can null all psykics cast within 24" on 4+.

They have to have different powers. They have to have different wargear. Powers =/= wargear.

On the Grey hunters, drop the powerfist for a guy with Mark of the Wulfen and a banner. The wulfen will get 1d6+1 minimum as opposed to the GH-PF which will get 1 attack after the charge. I like the banners for that first round of combat which can really sway the fight... you WG will hit on 3 or 4 (re-roll 1s) and wound on 2+ (reroll 1s LOL).

Only issue I see with the dreds is that only 1 come sin turn 1, and the other comes in on reserve rolls.

·
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I just thought about the wolf tail today and about hit myself in the head. I'll drop that asap. Also no idea what happened when I calculated the points for the TWC. Should be 260, not 310. Also noticed some screw-ups in the Grey Hunters. Armybuilder is doing weird things, I guess. Going by the good ol' paper and pen method now.

How about something like this:

HQ

• Rune Priest - Jaws of the World Wolf, Living Lightning - xxx
  • Wolf Priest - xxx

Elites
  • Wolf Guard Pack (x3) - x3 combi-melta, x3 Powerfists - 129
  • Dreadnought - Multi-melta, Heavy Flamer, Drop pod - 150

Troops

• Grey Hunters (x9 ) - Meltagun, Mark of the Wulfen, Rhino - 190

Fast Attack

• Thunderwolf Cavalry (x4) - x1 Thunderhammer, x1 Storm shield - 260

Heavy Support

• Long Fang Pack (x6) - x3 Missile Launchers, x2 Lascannons - 170

Total: 1449

Man, army builder really screwed things up. Weird. Anywho, added a whole lot of stuff and still have 51 points to play with. Suggestions?

My thoughts on options:

• Some wargear for the HQ choices
  • Another Wolf Guard to add to the Long Fangs
  • Another Storm Shield for the TWC

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hmmmm...

Some suggestions:

Another Storm Shield for TWC (YES!!!! All my TWC have SS)
Deathwind ML for drop pod
Plasma Pistol for the priest
Melta bombs for HQ
Marked Lone Wolf
Land speeded

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
i would drop a rhino and bring in a drop pod with a DWL, drop the dreadnought for two speeders with multi-meltas and heavy flamers or grab another long fang squad and drop a TWC and the storm shield. for a 5 man squad with a plasma gun and stick the rune priest with them.
thanks
antique_nova

·
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Completely didn't see Nova's post so I'll look into that a bit later.

The revised list for 1500 is in the first post right now if people care to advise on it.

Thanks to everyone so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts