Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
My backpack has JETS!
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first Tank Company list. I plan on using all the Death Korps tanks from Forgeworld so it might end up a bit expensive! Any advice would be really useful, I'm kind of stabbing in the dark here as to what is useful and what isn't.

I've tried to stop myself tooling up the tanks too much, usually upgrading with Extra Armor only. In some cases I've added extra bits because I had some points spare. All the vehicle names are from my favourite Vietnam films :) The Command Tank is as per 76th Krieg AC fluff.

Traits
Rare Tank: Leman Russ Exterminator
Rare Tank: Leman Russ Vanquisher

Command Tank

Leman Russ Vanquisher 'Loyalty'
Extra Armour, Improved Comms, Pintle Storm bolter, Coaxial Storm Bolter, Heavy Bolter, Vanquisher Cannon

Tank Aces

Leman Russ Vanquisher 'Animal Mother'
Extra Armour, Pintle Heavy Stubber, Coaxial Storm Bolter, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Vanquisher Cannon, Searchlight

Leman Russ Exterminator 'Pretty Boy'
Extra Armour, Pintle Heavy Stubber, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Twin-Linked Autocannon

Tank Units

Leman Russ 'Cracker'
Extra Armour, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Battle Cannon

Leman Russ 'Eightball'
Extra Armour, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Battle Cannon

Support Tank

Leman Russ Demolisher 'Hammer'
Extra Armour, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Demolisher Cannon

Reconnaissance

Hellhound 'Touchdown'
Inferno Cannon, Heavy Bolter

Sentinel 'Cowboy'
Extra Armour, Lascannon

Sentinel 'Joker'
Extra Armour, Lascannon

Total: 1500

·
Registered
319 Posts
1 - On every, vehicle with an Ordenance Weapon Droop any optional weapon and weapon upgrade. Use the points you save for buy more tanks.

2 - At least that you are planing to win with the use of the rule Wipe Out! Buy some armoured Fists squads for control the objetives of the mission.

·
Registered
264 Posts
In the fluff the Korps only used tanks to advance holes in the enemy lines. They send them in with grenadier regiments.

I can look up their set up in the IA 5th ed book if u want, not entirely sure if its their or not but I can give it a shot.

·
My backpack has JETS!
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I've made a revised list as follows.

Vanquisher (Command)
Vanquisher Cannon (with Anti-Tank rounds), Heavy Bolter, Extra Armor, Improved Comms

Exterminator (Tank Ace)
Twin-Linked Autocannon, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Heavy Stubber, Extra Armor

Leman Russ Battle Tanks x 3
Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolter, Extra Armor

Demolisher
Demolisher Cannon, Heavy Bolter, Extra Armor

Hellhound
Inferno Cannon, Heavy Bolter, Extra Armor

Storm Strooper Squad
7 Men
Grenade Launcher x 2

Chimera
Heavy Stubber, Heavy Flamer, Extra Armor

Sentinel x 2
Lascannon

Tactically, the Exterminator and Chimera will rush for the objective if there is one. The Chimera is geared for busting into an enemy holding the objective and unloading a flamer, stubber shots and the fist squad which will defend and hold it. The Exterminator will sit stationary by the objective and rain bolter shots on any infantry assaulting it.

Armored Fists or Storm Troopers, either could work. Would Grenade Launchers, Meltaguns or Plasma Guns be best here?

Battle Tanks will advance up one flank and smash the enemy, whereas the Vanquisher and Sentinels will advance up the other to take out enemy armor from the flanks.

Hellhound will play a 'where needed' role.

Re: fluff; the Krieg 76th don't have a lot to work with so I had to improvise a little. I felt the Sentinels provided some dedicated mobile anti-tank and the Armored Fist were added by suggestion to help hold objectives.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Right.

First of all...show me anywhere else in 40K you can get 2 HB's for 10pts?
...you can't/ If you have ANY pts spare get the sponsons on.
Grenadiers are FAR more fluffy here as thats what the Kore use. ArmouredFist squad..BAH, they are footsloggers!

Demolisher should be running forward as well. Take a Heavy Bolter on the chimera. Heavy famer is very very tempting for the circumstances but HB is just so much more efficient. If you mean thats its turret weapon I'll cry. And if it is, drop the stubber, as cool as it is, and take an autocannon or something.

In all honesty...for the Grenadiers, flamers is the most fluffy thing, but not the most effeicient.

The hellhound should be hitting enemy infantry and helping unplug objectives. But staying in the main battle line.

I seriously reccomend getting more side sponsons though.
And you only have 2 tanks that are really geared to take down enemy armour. Its enough I reckon but if your struggling then bring in a second demolisher or something.

Hope I've helped.

·
My backpack has JETS!
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions, it's been helpful.

My issue with the Sponsons is generally to do with 5th Edition. Defensive weapons have been downgraded to include only S4 and below. Since Heavy Bolters are no longer defensive, it means sponsons can only fire when the tank is stationary. (and not at all if the Ordnance cannon is fired).

Since most of the tanks will be moving and/or using their Battle Cannons, Sponsons will largely be a waste of points. The only tank that will benefit is the Exterminator, since it has no Ordnance weapon it will be able to fire all guns when stationary.

What I might end up doing is swapping the storm troopers Grenade Launchers for Meltaguns, that way they can pop out of the Chimera to zap any enemy armor.

·
Born from Tears of Angels
1,768 Posts
I noticed a few flaws in the list which I would like to point out.

1. Tanks are good, but they arent that good. The man problem with them is usualy they dont kill things at the rate you would want them to, therefore giving the enemy more time to overwhelm them, especialy in the new rules where all assaults are now counted against tank's rear armor. Therefore, I would strongly suggest increasing the amount of infantry in the list. You can do so, by droping one of the russes in exchange for another armored fist unit. Units like those wont be doing much damage on daily bases but will be cruicial when it comes to slowing down enemy assault, giving enough time for tanks to pull back and shoot more ordnance.

2. Vanquisher needs anti tank shells in order to layout maximum amount of damage.

3. Exterminator could use a heavy stubber

4. I dont know why you need improved comms on the Vanquisher, but for such list i would consider it a waste of points since you wont be deepstriking anything. Dont bother with storm troopers, and by the new scout rules there is no need to deepstrike sentinels.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
cant you only take 2 leman russes per tank ace?

·
My backpack has JETS!
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WraithGuardian, thanks for your comments and I'll address the points you made.

I noticed a few flaws in the list which I would like to point out.

1. Tanks are good, but they arent that good. The man problem with them is usualy they dont kill things at the rate you would want them to, therefore giving the enemy more time to overwhelm them, especialy in the new rules where all assaults are now counted against tank's rear armor. Therefore, I would strongly suggest increasing the amount of infantry in the list. You can do so, by droping one of the russes in exchange for another armored fist unit. Units like those wont be doing much damage on daily bases but will be cruicial when it comes to slowing down enemy assault, giving enough time for tanks to pull back and shoot more ordnance.
1. I can understand your reasoning, but this list is an Armoured/Tank Company. In such a list, tanks are and will be the main focus. I realise this will make the army less effective against all-comers lists, but that is the army theme and I'm sticking to it. I could add some Armoured Fist or Grenadier squads, but they must be kept to a minimum. So I have one.

2. Vanquisher needs anti tank shells in order to layout maximum amount of damage.
2. It wasn't specified, but the Vanquisher is automatically equipped with anti-tank shells.

3. Exterminator could use a heavy stubber
3. Definitely, I must have missed this. It's been added.

4. I dont know why you need improved comms on the Vanquisher, but for such list i would consider it a waste of points since you wont be deepstriking anything. Dont bother with storm troopers, and by the new scout rules there is no need to deepstrike sentinels.
4. Improved Comms are automatically given to the Command Tank at no additional points cost, as per the Armoured Company army list.

kevin vanrooyen said:
cant you only take 2 leman russes per tank ace?
This also includes the Command Tank. The army list says:
"For each Command Tank or Tank Ace, you may purchase 0-2 vehicles. Eaech vehicle chosen this way will count as one Troops choice on the Force Organisation chart."

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
sorry i hadn't read the armoured company army list in a few months i was going on memory anyway in my experience tanks don't seem to do as well as infantry so try taking more chimera mounted troops that's my opinion but i don't know much about guard tanks i play all infantry horde armies

1 - 10 of 10 Posts