Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Victorus aut Mortis
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, here my list, ive just started thousand sons, so any help/advice would be great!

HQ
Daemon Prince
Mark of Tzeentch
Doombolt
Warp Time
Wings
= 185 points

ELITES
Terminator Squad (5)
3x Power Weapons
2x Powerfists
1x Heavy Flamer
4x Combi Meltas
Icon of Tzeentch
= 230 points

TROOPS
Thousand Sons Squad (9)
8x Thousand Sons
Bolters
1x Sorceror
Doombolt
Bolt Pistol
Force Weapon
= 254

Thousand Sons Squad (9)
8x Thousand Sons
Bolters
1x Sorceror
Doombolt
Bolt Pistol
Force Weapon
= 254

Thousand Sons Squad (9)
8x Thousand Sons
Bolters
1x Sorceror
Bolt of Change
Bolt Pistol
Force Weapon
= 269

HEAVY SUPPORT
Defiler
Battlecannon
Daemonic Possession
Smoke Launchers
Searchlight
2x Extra CC Arms
= 150 points

Defiler
Battlecannon
Daemonic Possession
Smoke Launchers
Searchlight
2x Extra CC Arms
= 150 points

Total points = 1492

Total models = 33 plus 2 vehicles

Any ideas on what I can spend the rest of the points on?

Thanks in advance for the help, peace out ;Y

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
Shadow, your squad configurations look solid, except that having four combi-meltas in the termis is a bit overkill. Have you considered a mix of meltas & plasmas? In my experience, termis usually get a second round of shooting, which would be a fine time to unload rapid firing plasma rounds into enemy marines.

The major issue with your list is your near total lack of tank busting options. You can get around this by taking two predators with las-sponsons. Of course, being the only two vehicles, they'll have problems staying alive. The defilers somewhat get away with it, since they have possession, but even then, at the 1500 point level, they won't last too very long. They'll probably go down by turn three.

You'll also have trouble with reaching objective points and against highly mobile armies. Thousand Sons and Tzeentch builds usually field rhinos for this reason, but it's not absolutely essential. More or less, just something to bear in mind.

Oh, and the prince is a beut. I've used that configuration to great success- both in pairs and by himself.

With the extra points, I usually give someone melta bombs. In your case, you could do with a few personal icons scattered throughout your units. The termis certainly need to stability when deep striking.

EDIT: Having four combi-meltas in your termis isn't such a bad idea, now that I think about it. You can always elect to fire two one round and then two the next. Still, termis are such great shock troops, that combi-plasmas really do fit them perfectly. Equipped in this way, they can literally turn the tide of the game in a single round of fire.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The list looks solid, but you are lacking in antitank. The terminators, deepstriking will kill one vehicle at best with their meltas. I recommend obliterators to go with your slow-and-purposeful footslogging theme. Personally, I'd remove the defilers for obliterators, because the defilers are just big targets, being really big, high threat, low armor, and the only vehicles in your army.

EDIT: Oops rabbit beat me to the post, but I more or less agree with him.

·
Victorus aut Mortis
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks for the input peoples. Ill revise the list and see what happens.

HQ
Daemon Prince
Mark of Tzeentch
Doombolt
Warp Time
Wings
= 185 points

ELITES
Terminator Squad (5)
3x Power Weapons
2x Powerfists
1x Heavy Flamer
2x Combi Plasmas

2x Combi Meltas
Icon of Tzeentch
= 230 points

TROOPS
Thousand Sons Squad (9)
8x Thousand Sons
Bolters

Personal Icon

1x Sorceror
Doombolt
Bolt Pistol
Force Weapon

Rhino

= 294

Thousand Sons Squad (9)
8x Thousand Sons
Bolters

Personal Icon

1x Sorceror
Doombolt
Bolt Pistol
Force Weapon

Rhino

= 294

HEAVY SUPPORT
Predator
Autocannon
Lascannon Sponsons

=130

Predator
Autocannon
Lascannon Sponsons

=130

Totals 1263

Now that leaves me with approx 237 points to spend. What do you suggest?

I was thinking:
A) A greater Daemon and 12 Lesser Daemons
B)A 5 man Bike squad with Icon of Tzeentch, and two metlaguns

·
Registered
44 Posts
Take my ideas with a spoonful of salt. Mostly I want to nitpick the Terminators.

Why the two Power Fists? You could change one PF to a Chain Fist with a good chance of popping a tank, and change one PF back to a PW for a higher-initiative punch against infantry. Seems to me to be a better balance.

I'd consider changing their IoT to IoK because Termies also shine when cutting stuff up in CC--but you probably want the consistency of Tzeentch on your squads/units. I like consistency. At least it makes it more likely they'll survive to shoot their other two Combis. Hmm, Plasma some infantry first, then Melta + charge a tank?

On the remaining points, if you're going to have Personal Icons on your troopers, you might as well get your money's worth, so I like the idea of summoning some daemons. I hear the Greater is very much worth it, but I don't know about the Lessers.

Regarding the Bikers: isn't 6 ideal? Unfortunately, I don't think you can afford it without painful cuts elsewhere.

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
With the remaining points, why not an additional las-sponson pred? Redundancy is out friend, and this would certainly give your opponent something more to worry about- a good thing to be sure ;).

Termis: Pedantlol's suggestion of a chain fist wouldn't hurt. In fact, it's a good idea. Both the IoT and the IoK are solid choices. If you weren't concerned with a Tzeentch theme, then I'd tell you to scrap the IoT, and with the remaining points left over from purchasing your third predator (assuming you go this route), you could then pick up another termi squad. You'd have to move some models around. Here's what I'm thinking in substitute for your current termi unit, along with the remaining points:

4x termis
*3x combi-plasmas
*1x heavy flamer & power fist

4x termis
*3x combi-plasmas
*1x heavy flamer & power fist

Again, just a thought.

·
Victorus aut Mortis
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So many choices, so hard to decide...

Im liking the idea of taking another predator with las sponsons, the more vehicles i have, the more targets my opponent is presented with, and maybe my T sons in their rhinos will make it closer.

what you say is quite interesting about the termies pedant, ill up one of the fists to a chainfist, and drop the other. As for icons of Tzeentch, Id really like a full Tzeentch army, but if dropping the icon will mean some extra termies, im all for it.

HQ
Daemon Prince
Mark of Tzeentch
Doombolt
Warp Time
Wings
= 185 points

ELITES
Terminator Squad (4)
3x Power Weapons
1x Chainfist
1x Heavy Flamer
3x Combi Plasmas

= 155 points

Terminator Squad (4)
3x Power Weapons
1x Chainfist
1x Heavy Flamer
3x Combi Plasmas
= 155 points

TROOPS
Thousand Sons Squad (9)
8x Thousand Sons
Bolters

Personal Icon

1x Sorceror
Doombolt
Bolt Pistol
Force Weapon

Rhino

= 294 points

Thousand Sons Squad (9)
8x Thousand Sons
Bolters

Personal Icon

1x Sorceror
Doombolt
Bolt Pistol
Force Weapon

Rhino

= 294 points

HEAVY SUPPORT
Predator
Autocannon
Lascannon Sponsons

=130 points

Predator
Autocannon
Lascannon Sponsons

=130 points

Predator
Autocannon
Lascannon Sponsons

=130

Totals 1473

So now I have 27 points left. What should I spend these on, I was either going to up someone to a champion in both termie squads, or throw in another powerfist in each squad.

By the way, rep given for such good help ;Y

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
You know, I just now noticed that you only have two T.S. units. At the 1500 point mark, you really need three for this build. While you can probably squeeze by with only two in some situations, against the swarm, you'll require far more basic bolter shots in order to manage them. Rather than taking another predator and the second termi squad, I'd advise in favor of the third T.S. unit. With any remaining points, you could upgrade to a BoC in one of your squads, as this is in line with your original build. While BoC is expensive, there are indeed some builds that can make good use of it. Sorry about the switch back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.