Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to expand my 1500pt Kabal (list here) to 1750 for local tourney play, and I've determined that the significant addition is going to be either:

1. A raider grotesque squad

2. 2 x 3 reaver jetbikes with two blasters, giving me three of these in the Kabal.

The former gives me a 'for laffs' unit that requires heavy weapons fire to exterminate, meaning that the big guns aren't being pointed at my more useful units. The latter gives me an extra scoring unit over the grots, and three more dark matter weapons, plus a lot more speed, but fewer wounds and lower durability over-all.

A less happy option is to re-tool for a WWP force since I would need to rebuild, rejig or repaint many more units.

WWAD - What Would Asdrubael Do?

Are there any better 180-200 point units that I should consider instead? My force is currently fairly balanced, with a good number of raiders and a compromise between dark matter and wychiness.

Thanks!

·
Dark Eldar Zealot
3,699 Posts
I'm looking to expand my 1500pt Kabal (list here) to 1750 for local tourney play, and I've determined that the significant addition is going to be either:

1. A raider grotesque squad

2. 2 x 3 reaver jetbikes with two blasters, giving me three of these in the Kabal.

The former gives me a 'for laffs' unit that requires heavy weapons fire to exterminate, meaning that the big guns aren't being pointed at my more useful units. The latter gives me an extra scoring unit over the grots, and three more dark matter weapons, plus a lot more speed, but fewer wounds and lower durability over-all.

A less happy option is to re-tool for a WWP force since I would need to rebuild, rejig or repaint many more units.

WWAD - What Would Asdrubael Do?

Are there any better 180-200 point units that I should consider instead? My force is currently fairly balanced, with a good number of raiders and a compromise between dark matter and wychiness.

Thanks!
Hi,
I believe that Mandrakes may be compulsary under 5thEd. So give these guys a look in, but there is nothng wrong with your choices here.

The only other troop I would consider is Incubi, although I personally don't favour them.

Cheers.

·
Dark Eldar Gerbil
1,522 Posts
Hi,
I believe that Mandrakes may be compulsary under 5thEd. So give these guys a look in, but there is nothng wrong with your choices here.

The only other troop I would consider is Incubi, although I personally don't favour them.

Cheers.
oh what do you mean wiki? do let on!

·
Archite of Caerbannog
1,582 Posts
I keep mulling over whether to get/make Grotesques or not. They'd be great guarding a WWP or holding an objective, right?
I have used them on their own to hold a loot counter before. I dropped them off in cover but within 6" of a loot counter so they got to ignore str.5 weapons and also got a 4+ save against the str.6 ones. Needless to say since they don't shoot and were now even harder to kill my opponent decided to just ignore them (which was what I wanted!).

The only problem with leaving them on their own however is if they do have to make a morale check you can kiss them goodbye because of their low leadership. Once they start running (and they won't seem slow at this point) they will keep running. This only happened once but I as able to roll a "3" and very luckily got them back into scoring position (yes, I then rolled a "4" the next turn and moved them back into scoring position) - phew!.

As for guarding the wwp the same concerns continue. Just the other day I setup a "picket fence" with my grotesques as enemy marines were getting too close to my newly opened portal. Instead of charging them on their own into marines (which I feared losing close combat and having to roll a "5" then leave the Haemoculus on his own standing by the portal) I just waited next turn for the marines to charge - this delayed the inevitable demise of the grot squad but their sacrifice was well worth it as they did kill a Grey Knight and an assault bike in their defense while Vect and 3 ravagers came out to "mop-up".

I tend to find ways to make grotesques work - you might have to choose their battles a little more closely than the other selections but their utility in executing the game plan and playing the mission always seem to amaze me.

·
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A third option is a unit of Kroot mercenaries. Just an idle thought, but my next opponent runs Tau and it would be kinda funny to have the chickens come home to roost on him. Infiltrate, fleet of foot and an eviscerator on a shaper do sound like a fun time - and for a short time only, comes with free coleslaw and a bottle of drink!

Otherwise tending towards the grotesques. As far as the DE metals go, they're not the worst.

Thanks so far for your responses!

·
Slaaneshi Battle Barge CO
1,508 Posts
For 200 or so points you could field a minimal squad of Mandrakes and Kroot. There is nothing like multiple infiltrating units to really make an opponent overthink his deployment phase.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I asked this question in another post where they were mentioned. Where are the rules regarding the use of Kroot in a DE army list? And are there any other unit types you can use as well?

·
Archite of Caerbannog
1,582 Posts
I asked this question in another post where they were mentioned. Where are the rules regarding the use of Kroot in a DE army list? And are there any other unit types you can use as well?
You will find on the list that the Kroot cannot fight for on Page 2. There are all kinds of unit types.

Here is the link to the Chapter Approved Kroot Mercenary List.

Warhammer 40,000 - Tau

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would recommend adding the gotesques, and then deplying your archon with them. Once they get into combat, your archon kills averything, and then their special rules makes the enemy run. Using the archons high initiative, you can then catch them and take them as slaves. Its really a lot of fun to watch your opponent go nuts when you take out a whole squad of his each assault phase without taking any wounds.

·
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Psyan - mandrake + kroot = tasty option.

dwalker18 - I've found in previous matches the Archon's big problem is what happens between close combats. When he finishes off a target, he and his little friends are left at ground zero in a somewhat annoyed enemy's gunline, and often the enemy will ignore more conventional target priorities to shoot him to death. I've found the best rhythm for the Archon is to take two combat phases to finish off a target squad - my turn, my opponent's turn - so that I get a move and assault before the enemy gets to shoot. I suspect adding grotesques to the mix, funny though it would be, will disrupt this rhythm.

Or do you have a cunning plan to survive the shooting phase?

·
Registered
182 Posts
That's exactly what happened to me, too. The DE lord is almost too effecient as a moving slaughter house. Should I make her a dracon all the time and give her a tiny retinue? You only need 2 attacks, baby, don't ask for more, and 2 incubi are enough for today. See them marines over there? Seek balls!
I will have to shephard my opponent into cramped quarters with raider squad fire before I can safely unleash the lord with Incubi. The wyches would drag out the combat though, and might make a better choice of company. Another endless dilemma for pre-game prep.

·
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like the Archon + wyches or Archon + warriors options. They have a good blend of stickiness and effectiveness, and if I really need to, I can detach the Archon and charge him 12" into fresh fun with a reasonable expectation that he can take care of himself for a combat phase or so while his minions catch up.

·
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First match - a narrow win vs Tau. As we rolled an alpha mission (secure & control) the kroot didn't get to infiltrate and spent the match at the back holding an objective. The mandrakes were worthwhile - I had two raiders destroyed in the vicinity of another objective to build a wall of debris, which the mandrakes then colonised and with 2+ cover saves, proved impossible to remove.

Next time: the flying grotesque squad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.