Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello there, I started playing the ol' 'hammer when 6th edition came out, so I'm pretty new, and this is my first battle report, so hang in there, folks, I'll do my best.

I was using my favourite Chaos boys in the classic Tzeentch formation and my opponent was using the Tomb Kings.

Army Lists

Chaos.

General - Exalted Champion of Chaos, Mark of Tzeentch, Shield, Great Weapon, Sword of Battle, Dispel Scroll.

Aspiring Champion of Chaos, Mark of Tzeentch, Halberd, Dispell Scroll, Chariot of Tzeentch.

Chaos Sorceror, Level 2, Barded Chaos Steed, Spell Familiar, Lore of Shadows.

14 Warriors of Chaos, Mark of Tzeentch, standard bearer, Banner of War.

4 Knights of Chaos, Mark of Tzeentch.

21 Marauders, light armour and shields, standard bearer.

5 Marauder Horsemen, shields, spears, musician.

Chariot of Chaos, Mark of Tzeentch.

That's the list I fielded, 2 chariots, 2 units of cavalry, 2 units of infantry. The General was in the unit of warriors, the sorceror with the marauder horsemen. I got really bad rolls on my spells, the General got the spell of Instant Character Death If They Fail The Easiest Test To Pass, and the 5+ Ward Save for himself and his unit. So I swapped out the useless instant death spell for the standard Red Fire. I may have attempted it against a different army, but even the lowly hero Tomb Prince has a remarkably high leadership. The Aspiring Champion got Orange and Yellow Fire, so I replaced the Ward save spell with the standard Red Fire. No Blue Fire spells at all. Disappointing. For the Sorceror he rolled Pit of Shades, Crown of Taidron and Unseen Lurker. All of which I thought could be really useful, so kept them. I should have known better, with only 3 power dice to try them with, none of those spells would come easy!

Tomb Kings.

Heirophant - Liche Priest, Plaques of Mighty Incantations, Cloak of Dunes.

Tomb Prince - light armour, shield, Blade of Setep.

13 skeleton warriors, bows, standard bearer.

13 skeleton warriors, bows, standard bearer.

5 Carrion.

6 Ushabti.

25 Tomb Guard (I can't remember the exact number, a big unit that the Prince was in), champion and standard bearer, Banner of the Undying Legion.

Screaming Skull Catapult.

Right off the bat I could tell my opponent was having a bad day, I know Tomb Kings are a difficult army to play and generally require more planning, especially with lower point armies, however, he should have had all character slots filled to capitalise on the Tomb Kings much needed magic!

Deployment

My opponent deployed as follows, the first unit of 13 bowskellies was at the front edge of his deployment zone on my far left, the second just next to them, in the middle of the battlefield. Next to these was the large unit of Tomb Guard with the Prince. Behind the Tomb Guard was the Screaming Skull Catapult with the Priest and his Carrion. Closely following the first bowskellies on the far left were the Ushabti.

Opposing the bowskellies on the left were my knights and the character-less chariot, holding the middle line was my unit of warriors with the general, the champion in the chariot and the marauder horsemen with the sorceror. On the far right that my opponent left open, I deployed my block of maraurders.

Tomb Kings player won the roll to go first.

Turn 1

Movement

His forces moved slowly forward, as the Tomb Kings are often found doing. His Skeleton Bowmen moved into shooting range, the Tomb Guard keeping pace, the Ushabti following behind. The Carrion took flight to the far right and were looking to intercept my Marauders.

Magic

The Tomb Prince cast the Incantation of Urgency, which I made no effort to dispell, it was just a ploy to make me throw my dice down, I called his bluff and indeed, all they did was angle themselves slightly differently.

The Priest cast the Incantation of Smiting on the Catapult, re-rolled using the Plaques as he got quite a low score. I didn't want this, so I threw 3 dispell dice to sucessfully negate it.

Shooting

The Catapult fires first, he aims for the Chariot in the middle which he can see between the units in his front line, he guesses well and lands the template on top of, but his scatter roll lets him down and it overshoots, missing everything.

Skelly block 1 on the left unloads 13 arrows into the Knights, a few hit, only 1 wounds, I save it. Swish. I wasn't so fortunante across the battlefield though, the other skellies unload into my marauder horsemen and manage to pick off 2 of them forcing a panic check. They pass, fortunately. This ended his turn.

Movement

I just did what Chaos do, and marched everything forward. The only exception was the Marauder Horsemen who angled in slightly, to place themselves between the tomb guard and the chaos warriors, looking to bait them into a charge.

Magic

Really lame. Both Tzeentch casters threw Red Fire at the middle block of skeleton archers, I rolled 3 strength 1 hits and 1 strength 5, needless to say, I at least managed to kill one of them. The Sorceror attempted to cast Pit of Shades on the block of Tomb Guard. How awesome would that be? I'd wipe out loads of them... he failed the roll. So he tried again... and miscast. Fortunately I got the generous miscast roll, can't recall the number, the Sorceror takes a strength 4 hit and it ends the magic phase. Fortunately the Sorceror didn't get wounded. For a Tzeentch army, the magic phase should really be a lot more devastating than this! Ha ha. This ended my turn.

Turn 2

Movement

The Carrion declared a charge against my Marauders, the Tomb Guard declared against the Marauder Horsemen. The Marauder Horsemen elected to flee, and got a decent roll, not too high, which would take them too far from the fight, but still high enough to be out of harms way. The Marauders chose to stand but failed their fear test, so would need 6's to hit. His archers stood where they were and because of this the Ushabti were stuck behind them.

Magic

The Tomb Prince attempted the Incantation of Urgency again, in an effort to charge my newly exposed Chariot, I attempted to dispell it but failed! It was ok though, they were just 2 inches shy of making contact. Phew. Once again I dispelled the Priests Incantation of Smiting on the Catapult. Got to watch those Screaming Skull Catapults! This is where a second priest would have done wonders for him...

Shooting

The Catapult aims for the block of Chaos Warriors he can now see, but fortunately it misses. The Skeletons on the left unload into my closing Knights, and still fail to take any casualties. His second unit do better, as they did last turn, and actually manage to wound the Chariot with the Champion in it. I didn't mind this, he should have nailed some more Marauder Horsemen in the hopes of preventing them from being able to rally.

Combat

My opponent really should have been more careful with his Carrion, I had the full +5 static combat res with my Marauders and he only manages to kill 1. Even though my return attack is ineffectual, I still win by 4 and he loses 2 Carrion due to it. His turn ends.

Movement

I fail to rally my Marauder Horsemen! Yes, even being led by a character and including a musician. Curses! They flee even further out of the fight... but worse, I've lost the opportunity to cast my potentially most devastating spells.

The Knights and Chariot on the Left advance forwards again, the Knights are taking it slow so the Chariot can keep up. The Warriors Move a little and turn to face the Tomb Guard. The Chariot with the Champ moves from in front of the Tomb Guard and turns to face the Archers that wounded it.

Magic

This round has some more effective Red Fire. Using it with both characters, I reduce the Skeleton Archers that wounded the chariot to 4 men. Nice. He dispells my efforts at casting the Spell of re-rolls on the Chariot though. Nevermind.

Combat

The Marauders strike first against the Carrion, they manage to inflict a single wound on one of them, and they kill another Marauder in return, however, I still win and the combat res finishes off the remaining Carrion. Good ol' Undead Crumbling!

Turn 3

Movement

As the Chariot was out of the Tomb Guards LOS, he charges it with his 4 remaining Archers, it holds and passes it's fear test. The Tomb Guard advance further towards the Warriors, putting them within charge distance. Nothing else moves.

Magic

The Prince attempts the Urgency one again, and I take no risks this time, I'm not yet ready for my Warriors to be engaged by the Tomb Guard and use a dispell scroll. I use my remaining dispell dice to stop the Priests incantation, too. The Tomb King REALLY need magic to be effective, and my opponent discovered this the tough way.

Shooting

The Catapult misses. No luck at all with this. He aims for the unengaged chariot, and scores a partial cover, but once more the scatter dice move the hit into the middle of nowhere. The free Skeletons decide to shoot the chariot instead of the knights, they have the same luck and fail to wound it.

Combat

The Skeletons attack and fail to cause any wounds, the Character in return destroys 3 of them, the last skeleton heroically survives all other attacks but crumbles afterwards. Shame. My turn begins...

Movement

This time, my Horsemen manage to rally, sweet! I declare a charge with my Knights and Chariot on the left towards the Skeleton Archers, My Warriors declare against the Tomb Guard. I fail all 3 fear checks so none of my charges go off!!! It can only happen to a Tzeentch army. Ha ha. My Champion in the Chariot turns to face the flank of the Tomb Guard unit, my Marauders turn and head towards the Tomb Guards exposed rear. It doesn't look good for the Tomb Guard if they can't decimate my Warriors quickly.

Magic

I throw Red Fire at the Tomb Guard, and manage to kill 2 of them, it doesn't slow them down though. The Tomb King player Dispells my attempts at Yellow Fire on the Warrior unit. The Sorceror casts Unseen Lurker on his unit and gets them back into the thick of it, facing the remaining side of the Tomb Guard. I end my turn and cross my fingers. If the Tomb Guard can beat my Warriors and kill my General, they'll be in position to turn round and eat my units, one at a time.

Turn 4

Movement

The Tomb Guard charge my Warriors, they hold and pass their fear test. Yeah!
Nothing else moves... those Ushabti are in a rubbish position, they should have been in combat by now!

Magic

The Prince casts the Incantation of Smiting, on a 5, I use 2 dice and fail to dispel it. Fortunately he then fails to cause any wounds on my tough guys. I dispell the Priests effort at getting the catapult to shoot.

Shooting

The catapult drops a shot on the nearest Chariot, but it misfires and destroys itself completely! Ah, Tomb Kings have a lot of bad luck this day. We quickly check the rules regarding characters within units of warmachines that get blown up, fortunately they don't get hurt by misfires. They keep a safe distance. Shame. ;)

Combat

Firstly I elect to use my generals Great Weapon as opposed to the Sword of Battle and shield... The Tomb Prince has a high enough toughness that I want to be sure I kill him. The Tomb Prince hasn't made it into base contact with my general, so my opponent calls out a challenge. He only has to cause 2 wounds to kill me, and I get no armour saves against his weapon. Still. I accept, as it's how Chaos like it. Mano a mano! He rolls to hit me and misses with all 3 attacks. I chuckle to myself. My opponent is ready to give up. My General returns the attack and with all the fury of the Chaos Gods, crushes the Tomb Prince inflicting 3 wounds. We interrupt the fight to check for the Curse, but the powers of Chaos are all consuming, and I pass my leadership test. The remaining Tomb Guard are a bit disheartened and only kill one of my Warriors of Chaos - Killing blow is awesome, while in return we failed to kill any Tomb Guard. Combat is won by the Forces of Chaos, but by only 2 points. Still, 2 less Tomb Guard. My turn to hit...

Movement

The Knights declare against the archers again, as does the chariot. The Marauders Declare against the rear of the Tomb Guard, the Maruader horsemen to the flank. Everything passes their fear tests apart from the Chariot, so it's pain time on the Tomb Guard! The Champion in chariot moves up and turns towards the flank of the Ushabti.

Magic

I manage to inflict a wound on the Ushabti using Red Fire, and the general manages to get Yellow Fire on his unit, a bit late, mind you. But still.

Combat

The Choas Knights, in typical Chaos Knight Fashion, fail to kill any of the Archers. Their mounts, however, kill a skeleton each. Typical... The Skeletons don't do anything in return, and lose combat by 2 points, reducing them to a more manageable amount.

The Tomb Guard get a lucky round of forgetfulness and ineffectual hits from all parties. However, as I was on +9 at the start, they had their work cut out for them. They manage to reduce their losses by getting killing blow on 2 Warriors! While the Guard on the flank and in the rear do a decent job of cutting down some of the less armoured opposition. I forget my general after the Tomb Guard attack, he could have had a couple of them. Oops. They still lose by 5, it's just a matter of time.

Turn 5

Movement

The Liche Priest flies behind my Marauders, out of all charge areas but able to see the dwindling Tomb Guard. The Ushabti turn to face the incoming Chariot.

Magic

None. I dispell the banner and the Priests effort.

Combat

Miraculously the Archers are still holding up the Knights, 2 of them survive until the end. The Tomb Guard get wiped out completely. They kill some more men, but not enough to make a difference. The Tomb King player was thinking of calling the game at this point, but wanted to give his Ushabti a go. He should have done that from the very beginning, his turn ends.

Movement

The Chariot that has done nothing all battle finally sucessfully charges the Ushabti. Yay! The Champion in Chariot brings himself within charge distance of them, too. All my other guys turn to face the somewhat exposed Liche Priest after polishing off the Tomb Guard.

Magic

There are no valid targets for my Red Fire spells, but my Mounted Sorceror goes Hell For Leather and casts Crown of Taidron. A crazy move, but it pays off spectacularly. The Liche Priest is killed, the nearby Warriors and Chariot get away with no wounds, but the Marauders lose 5 men to the dark powers. A worthy sacrifice and they're still above half strength!

Combat

The Knights finish off the Archers. It only took them 5 turns! The Chariot causes a whopping 5 wounds on the Ushabti with impact hits. The Warriors are less successful and only inflict a single wound. In return the Ushabti chomp the Chariot down to 2 wounds. Ouch. I win, by enough to remove another Ushabit model. At the end of my turn the only unit left, the Ushabit, passes it's crumbling test.

Turn 6

At the start of the Tomb Kings turn, the Ushabti once again pass their crumble test, damn high leadership on Ushabti.

Combat

The Chariot inflicts another wound on the Ushabti, and takes none in return! Yeah! Combat is a draw, the shortest turn ever comes to an end.

Movement

My champion Chariot declares a charge against the Ushabti, but fails it's fear test. It's happened a lot! However, my remaining Marauder Horsemen and Sorceror move up close...

Magic

And casts Unseen Lurker on it, it passes this fear test, and smacks into the remaining Ushabti.

Combat

Between the impact hits and the Champions attacks the Ushabti are anhilliated. Swish.

Results...

A massacre for my mighty Chaos forces! However, it's a hollow victory, my opponent had some bad luck, not helped by bad planning. He needed to max out his magic and he shouldn't have blocked his Ushabti in behind his archers. He was hoping I'd charge the Archers, and over-run, going past the Ushabti and exposing my rear to them. It didn't work. His awesome skeletons held my Knights up for ages! I learned that fear can be a real pain! I couldn't believe the amount of charges I failed to do due to fear. It wasn't so bad with my Knights and Chariots, but the Tomb Guard getting the drop on my general could really have caused the hurt, and if the Ushabti had been in a better position, they could have taken it to me.

I'm playing him again soon with 2000 points. Hopefully it'll be a less one sided encounter, I like to see my opponents play well, it improves both our games.

Thanks.

Heff.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts