Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in and out of Warhammer for a while, and I always liked some aspects of High Elves, but I disliked how the entire army took itself so seriously. A little while back, however, I was struck with an idea that somewhat fitted the image of the elves and their army structure, but was unserious enough to have a good laugh about.

Long story short, I'll be modelling my army after Ulthuan's best metal band and their army of roadies, on tour in the Old World. But that's just a preface, and I'll show you my planned 1500 point list.

Dragonmage
Level 2
Guardian Phoenix
Silver Wand
The Amulet Of Light

Basically, I want this guy to be as flexible as possible. The Guardian Phoenix is equivalent of a 66% chance of him having an extra wound, and the Silver Wand ensures that he'll be packing plenty of heat. The Amulet Of Light is actually to give the dragon magical attacks, so it can effectively snipe Ethereal creatures and whoop lesser Daemons.

Mage
Level 2 (High Magic)
Folariath's Robe

The basic deal with this guy is that he can walk around, unharmed by regular enemy units and get into position to cause whatever mischief he wants. Being completely immune to regular attacks has plenty of perks, and having such a mischeif-maker should prove to be handy. After all, what's worse than a support character that you can't destroy?

20 x Spearmen w/ Full Command

21 x Spearmen w/ Full Command

5 Dragon Princes w/ Full Command
Banner Of Ellyrion

10 Swordmasters

Repeater Bolt Thrower

1499 points, total.

Basically, what I want to do with this army is to create a sticky core of Spearmen that allow the Swordmasters and Dragon Princes to flank and break enemy units. One Spearman unit will be four ranks of five, while the other will be three of seven.

The bolt thrower will do its usual job softening enemy units and aiming at targets of interest.

The idea with the Mage is to, as I said, be a pain in the ass. He'll just throw around some spells while standing in the direct path of enemy units, or something. Risky, given enemy magic and characters bearing items, but could be a huge payoff.

Much like the Dragonmage. His job is to react to the situation at hand with both combat prowess and magic. With half the Lore Of Fire at his disposal and an extra dice for being a badass youngblood riding a freaking dragon, this guy is a can of worms asking to be opened.
At games of this size, there's not a whole lot that can threaten a dragon that isn't a war machine, so I don't have much fear of combat. The major thing is going to be making sure he makes his points back. Like any generalist unit, the Dragonmage is always functioning at less than 100% because of his range of abilities. Generally, I'm going to hope that I can break a few enemy units and take down a few lone Wizards or war machines.
As an aside, this guy is potentially brilliant for getting my troops out of a pinch when they need it.

Thoughts? Criticisms?

·
Herman1004
1,266 Posts
I've been in and out of Warhammer for a while, and I always liked some aspects of High Elves, but I disliked how the entire army took itself so seriously. A little while back, however, I was struck with an idea that somewhat fitted the image of the elves and their army structure, but was unserious enough to have a good laugh about.

Long story short, I'll be modelling my army after Ulthuan's best metal band and their army of roadies, on tour in the Old World. But that's just a preface, and I'll show you my planned 1500 point list.

Dragonmage
Level 2
Guardian Phoenix
Silver Wand
The Amulet Of Light

Basically, I want this guy to be as flexible as possible. The Guardian Phoenix is equivalent of a 66% chance of him having an extra wound, and the Silver Wand ensures that he'll be packing plenty of heat. The Amulet Of Light is actually to give the dragon magical attacks, so it can effectively snipe Ethereal creatures and whoop lesser Daemons.
This guy is very good for exactly the tasks you mentioned. Just remember that only the close combat attacks are magical for the dragon.

Mage
Level 2 (High Magic)
Folariath's Robe

The basic deal with this guy is that he can walk around, unharmed by regular enemy units and get into position to cause whatever mischief he wants. Being completely immune to regular attacks has plenty of perks, and having such a mischeif-maker should prove to be handy. After all, what's worse than a support character that you can't destroy?
Although wearing the robes, this guy is not as safe as you might think. He can be hit by magic, magic close combat attacks or even some magical missile fire, and if he gets hit, he's dead, as simple as that. Instead, try giving him a dispel scroll and the jewel of the dusk which will save you some points.

20 x Spearmen w/ Full Command
With the spare points from the mage, put another spearman in this unit.

21 x Spearmen w/ Full Command

5 Dragon Princes w/ Full Command
Banner Of Ellyrion

10 Swordmasters

Repeater Bolt Thrower
Put your lone mage in this unit and make him act defensively

1499 points, total.

Basically, what I want to do with this army is to create a sticky core of Spearmen that allow the Swordmasters and Dragon Princes to flank and break enemy units. One Spearman unit will be four ranks of five, while the other will be three of seven.

The bolt thrower will do its usual job softening enemy units and aiming at targets of interest.

The idea with the Mage is to, as I said, be a pain in the ass. He'll just throw around some spells while standing in the direct path of enemy units, or something. Risky, given enemy magic and characters bearing items, but could be a huge payoff.
Too big risk, I can assure you!

Much like the Dragonmage. His job is to react to the situation at hand with both combat prowess and magic. With half the Lore Of Fire at his disposal and an extra dice for being a badass youngblood riding a freaking dragon, this guy is a can of worms asking to be opened.
At games of this size, there's not a whole lot that can threaten a dragon that isn't a war machine, so I don't have much fear of combat. The major thing is going to be making sure he makes his points back. Like any generalist unit, the Dragonmage is always functioning at less than 100% because of his range of abilities. Generally, I'm going to hope that I can break a few enemy units and take down a few lone Wizards or war machines.
As an aside, this guy is potentially brilliant for getting my troops out of a pinch when they need it.

Thoughts? Criticisms?
With the changes I've mentioned, this list will do very well if played correctly.

Regards,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the comments.

I think I'll try both Mage builds at different times, but I definitely understand what you're getting at with your suggestions, so I'll take that on board.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.