165 10xSpace Marines 1xLascannon
----

200 8xDevastator 4xMissile Launcher
----

75 1xMaster
-----

My first attempt at a Space Marine army. I realize it's terribly simple but I'm wondering if it can handle everything thrown at it either through flexible firepower, or simply sucking up the losses to the very hefty 75 Models. My major weakness seems to be capturing points due to sloooow movement. Where I could put a gun on the master, or give him terminator armor, mostly I just want him to fill the HQ req and provide everyone 10 Leadership nice and safe.

Suggestions? Renovations?

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
Well, there is a lot that can be done to that list to make it pretty good, but as this is your first I think it shouldn't be too drastic.

The best HQ for marines is the chaplin, most people give him a jump pack and make him join a 10 strong assault squad.

I would definately take a dreadnaught as they are so versatile, if you take him with his standard loadout make him venerable to make him better at surviving.

Your troops aren't half bad at all, Iwould only take three squads though so you have points for shiny stuff.

Your devastators are good, but three squads is too many, take one and try to fit some tanks in.

I would take at least one whirlwind and possibly a predator.

At 1500 points I personally like to include terminators, take a master in terminator armour and give him 4 terminators as a body guard with at least 1 assault cannon (you would want to deep strike these).

That should give you an averagely hard list that is also pretty resilient.
I would wait and see what other people have to say so don't take my advice as the gospel truth.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
117 Posts
hmmm

I don't believe your points add up correctly for the tac squads. The Lascannon is more expensive than that!
(I'm at work though, no codex. can someone else check that up for us? :D)

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
yeah 10 marines is 150 points and with a lascannon it would be 165. maybe your thinking of dev squad lascannon costs (which are alot higher). he was right.

anyway i like the list but as said above, i agree. take only 1 or 2 (max) of those dev squads and put in a pred & whirlwind (depending on what you are fighting against). Also i agree about the chaplain, although you dont have to make him join an assult squad if you dont want to..but it is very effective. also you could give him a cheap command squad and a drop pod.. either way, find an extra 35 points and make that master a chaplain. regardless of what you do with him.

As you said, your weakness is lack of speed. the 'stand-&-shoot' army would be fine if you were Dark Angels but you arent, right?.
Anyway to fix the speed problem, as suggested an assult squad led by a chappy..or a bike squad. or afew landspeeder tornado's with assult cannons.

Once again to repeat what has been said. terminators are good when deepstriking with 2 assult cannons!. they are costly with points so they are a risk, but 1500 is JUST high enough to get away with it. any lower than 1500 and i would not take them.

All you have to do to find the points for all this is drop upto 5 marines from every tac squad! easy!
EDIT.. actually now that i think about it, dropping 5 marines from those tac squads is actually the main thing you NEED to do.. keep the lascannons in them but lost 4-5 marines. basically they will be standing still and shooting the 48" lascannon every turn.. so if you have a 10 man squad then there are 9 marines standing there doing nothing!!.. 5 is the min so oyu will still hav 4 standing there doing nothing but thats better than 10.. 5x 15 points(marine cost) = 75 x 5(squads) = 375. ok so if you make then 5 man each you will have 375 extra points that you arent wasting every turn. which can be spent on something else (the things suggested above)
Hope that helps, if u have any questions about it let us know.

Also.. those 3 dev squads mean you will need 12 missile launchers. but if you buy 5 tac squads and 3 dev squads you will only have 8!. so that alone is enough reason to drop atleast one of the dev squads in exchange for a tank.
i thought i would point that out before you buy all your stuff and realise you are 4 missile launchers short ;)

goodluck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts